Saints sign SA star Jack Hayes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints sign SA star Jack Hayes

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 04 Feb 2022 10:19pm
desertsaint wrote: Fri 04 Feb 2022 11:03am if he can dominate sanfl in that way i'd wager he's a better prospect than battle.
If Battle gets delisted and plays in a state league, he would tear it up no doubt, like Hayes did.

SANFL is not top level AFL
no, but a step on on the vfl, which battle never dominated.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
ace
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Fri 04 Feb 2022 1:08pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 04 Feb 2022 10:24am
skeptic wrote: Fri 04 Feb 2022 9:18am
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 04 Feb 2022 8:32am
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 04 Feb 2022 1:03am I know zero-zithch about this guy. Obviously, you lot think he is good. Where would you see him playing in our 22, position wise?
If all that is written is true, no reason to doubt his SANFL.career and his efforts on the track with us, he offers flexibility in spades. When the Club is deciding on the 22nd player picked, a spot on the bench, I don't think they can go wrong selecting a big bodied, mobile player that is comfortable in any part of the ground.
Admittedly I don’t know anything about the kid but I don’t know that there are that many particularly useful utilities out there. My impression is that players need a position to make their own and pinch hit in other spots to help out when need be.

Certainly hasn’t done Battle a lot of favours to this point.

The big bodied mid role concerns me as well. That seems to be the golden goose clubs have been chasing for years. It seems like one in 100 mids in the AFL fit that mould and do it well whereas all are constantly trying to find one ala again Battle last year who just wasn’t suited to it.

My impression is that he is a forward?

Impression I have is that the kid is best suited forward?
Do you already get the sense we are going to be hearing a lot about his big heart. It's a very difficult thing to measure but I'm sure it will get quantified soon enough.
You can measure the size of someone's heart. You do need a rib spreader however.
Ben Long can do that.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Been thinking about Hayes.
As he's 194 cm, about 6cm taller than Skunk, and some are saying he could be another marking target in our F50,
I'm thinking he could free Skunk, in an ideal world.
His SAFL coach says he marks the ball at it's highest point; he polled really well in the Magarey Medal, as a forward, and the coach says that the medal is pretty much a midfielder's medal, like the Brownlow.

So he seems to be a younger, slightly taller version of Skunk.

If the forwards all gel with him, and they learn to all mesh well, our fwd line could be pure magic

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Saints58
Club Player

Are we going to ask a new player to trial now that we have 2 spots with Coff out it would be folly to go into season with 2 list spots available.
I know 1 is for mid season but if covid /injury hit us again we could be really stretched we should use 1 at least.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Saints58 wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 8:56am Are we going to ask a new player to trial now that we have 2 spots with Coff out it would be folly to go into season with 2 list spots available.
I know 1 is for mid season but if covid /injury hit us again we could be really stretched we should use 1 at least.
I see your point but the last thing we need are list cloggers. By now the pre season training is half way complete so anyone we start trailing now is behind everyone else plus is not good enough to have been trialled before. Is there someone in particular you are referring to?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

No more 35+ year old injured blokes please.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 9:40am
Saints58 wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 8:56am Are we going to ask a new player to trial now that we have 2 spots with Coff out it would be folly to go into season with 2 list spots available.
I see your point but the last thing we need are list cloggers. By now the pre season training is half way complete so anyone we start trailing now is behind everyone else plus is not good enough to have been trialled before. Is there someone in particular you are referring to?
An interesting question, personally I would welcome back Clavarino. Knows the coaches, players, staff, facilities and environment. There have been worse games played in the AFL than the five Oscar played.

Saints58
Club Player

Clavarino would be good but I was more thinking of the best defender in the WAFL ex Geelong listed player Blake schlensog 21 199cm and is a KPD could be worth it and that would give us options for a long term and if this guy didn't work out he would only get 1 year contact so nothing really lost.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Fair enough S58 but I think the rider, "only get 1 year contact so nothing really lost." applies to anyone picked up in this period. Schlensog has been mentioned quite a bit these past two years yet no one has taken the bait. There must be a reason all 18 clubs keep skipping him.

Scoop
Club Player

Saints58 wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 5:44pm Clavarino would be good but I was more thinking of the best defender in the WAFL ex Geelong listed player Blake schlensog 21 199cm and is a KPD could be worth it and that would give us options for a long term and if this guy didn't work out he would only get 1 year contact so nothing really lost.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-coast ... 416644.amp

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

According to the OP the Herald-Sun newspaper understands Hayes will be added to the Saints list but so far i haven't seen any announcements from the club.

Is it official yet or is the club biding it's time before announcing it ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Saints58
Club Player

Scoop wrote: Fri 11 Feb 2022 10:18pm
Saints58 wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 5:44pm Clavarino would be good but I was more thinking of the best defender in the WAFL ex Geelong listed player Blake schlensog 21 199cm and is a KPD could be worth it and that would give us options for a long term and if this guy didn't work out he would only get 1 year contact so nothing really lost.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-coast ... 416644.amp
Thanks for link a interesting article and now he is stuck here for a while why not try him we don't have to take him.

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 05 Feb 2022 9:28am Battle is a limited footballer IMO

Can play a role, but has deficiencies with movement
What do you mean by having ‘deficiencies with movement’?

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Sat 12 Feb 2022 9:17pm
B.M wrote: Sat 05 Feb 2022 9:28am Battle is a limited footballer IMO

Can play a role, but has deficiencies with movement
What do you mean by having ‘deficiencies with movement’?
He's saying he's not fast

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I think it's more to do with lateral movement. He's a good straight line runner but turns like the Titanic.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Hayes not official yet.. https://www.afl.com.au/news/704949/ex-t ... a-lifeline

Hayes has been training with the club since mid-December and has impressed many inside Moorabbin with his application across the past two months.

It is understood the 25-year-old has attracted interest from West Coast – who are looking for more security after losing Jack Darling for the foreseeable future – during his time in Melbourne, but the Saints would be surprised if he wasn't on their list in 2022.
St Kilda list manager James Gallagher won't be rushed on making a call on Hayes – or Lienert and Naish – and could make everyone wait until the deadline.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
George27
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Mon 14 Feb 2022 6:33pm Hayes not official yet.. https://www.afl.com.au/news/704949/ex-t ... a-lifeline

Hayes has been training with the club since mid-December and has impressed many inside Moorabbin with his application across the past two months.

It is understood the 25-year-old has attracted interest from West Coast – who are looking for more security after losing Jack Darling for the foreseeable future – during his time in Melbourne, but the Saints would be surprised if he wasn't on their list in 2022.
St Kilda list manager James Gallagher won't be rushed on making a call on Hayes – or Lienert and Naish – and could make everyone wait until the deadline.
That seems to me to be a surprising gamble by Gallagher to leave Jack Hayes dangling for the moment . Based on a range of factors I would have thought he would have signed him by now - the fact that we have 2 spots not just 1, that we were interested in him before Coffield went down and now the need is even greater , that his form ( from all accounts ) in intra-club stuff has been impressive , and that WCE may be sniffing around. Not sure what he is waiting for .. unless of course he thinks that Jack is actually not that good,

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote: Tue 15 Feb 2022 8:50am
Wayne42 wrote: Mon 14 Feb 2022 6:33pm Hayes not official yet.. https://www.afl.com.au/news/704949/ex-t ... a-lifeline

That seems to me to be a surprising gamble by Gallagher to leave Jack Hayes dangling for the moment . Based on a range of factors I would have thought he would have signed him by now - the fact that we have 2 spots not just 1, that we were interested in him before Coffield went down and now the need is even greater , that his form ( from all accounts ) in intra-club stuff has been impressive , and that WCE may be sniffing around. Not sure what he is waiting for .. unless of course he thinks that Jack is actually not that good,
In your eyes it may be a surprise but the guys at St. Kilda obviously know what they're doing.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Maybe ...maybe
but i think where G27 is heading is what if WCE come in with an offer too good to ignore

as for the SAFL vs VFL argument is concerned what I like about the crow eater comp is that the younguns cut their teeth against big bodies
the main problem is adjusting to the speed of AFL but that remains true for VFL players as well

Seeya
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Reasonably big bloke

Saw him train today

Freebird
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 16 Feb 2022 7:02pm Reasonably big bloke

Saw him train today
Tell us more BM
Was there anyone else that impressed?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Only a captains run

Bit of kick and giggle

About 25 running around

Ryder and Hannebery doing stationary drills

Bytel and Byrnes looked in ripping Nick

Windhager is a unit

Both indigenous boys are wafer thin but light on their feet

Tom Campbell is a massive man but moves like a robot

Crouch looks fitter than last year

Sinclair looks like a mini Gary Ayres

Freebird
Club Player

Thanks much appreciated

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I thought they signed Hayes as per original report?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.