Practice Match Carlton v St.Kilda - Ikon Park, Thursday 24th February, 10:00AM

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Practice Match Carlton v St.Kilda - Ikon Park, Thursday 24th February, 10:00AM

I would pick Bytel over Seb and I am a long time fan. :cry:

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Practice Match Carlton v St.Kilda - Ikon Park, Thursday 24th February, 10:00AM

[quote=magnifisaint post_id=1939898 time=1645665706 user_id=438]
Why the f*** are you guys getting all hung up about a practice game? :roll:
[/quote]

Probably because you can only play as good as your opponent lets you. A s*** Carlton and we lose means we aren’t great. What’s to be happy about?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 4:46pm
magnifisaint wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 12:21pm Why the f*** are you guys getting all hung up about a practice game? :roll:
Probably because you can only play as good as your opponent lets you. A s*** Carlton and we lose means we aren’t great. What’s to be happy about?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I was expecting a much better turnout against .. am I allowed to say the cheating wogs ?
I am disappointed

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 4:13pm
WellardSaint wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 3:38pm I have been a Seb-bagger for years.
I don'r care about his TB awards, his time in the leadership group, etc.
I class him as a liability.

Have a look at his rubbish kicks today.

The club rewards mediocrity like him, it's no wonder we've got one damn flag.

End of rant.
agree on both points
& yes I know he has his supporters - but is he in our future GF team
on the flip side what i saw in the intra club game I was excited by our new recruits & kids
Would also prefer to see Bytel or Windhager ahead of Ross. Agree with Wellard. He's depth now and don't want to see him ahead of young fellas.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Was also looking forward to seeing king grab heaps with cooper as a foil. Nada

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Season over

Freebird
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 1:05pm
st.byron wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 12:36pm
CURLY wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 12:33pm Another ridiculous 50 for a Carlton goal. Pisstake and the umpire in the centre of it loves it.
Curly. FFS. Its a practice match and your spamming the thread with umpiring dross. God man.....it's tedious.
So are you. Get off his f****** back. He has as much right to comment as you do. :roll: :roll:
Could not agree more Saynta...to ignore being shafted more often than not allows umps more freedom to influence games. 2016 finals series is proof of that. But we trust them to not cheat just call most of the 50/50 one way

diddley
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 5:11pm .. am I allowed to say the cheating wogs ?
No. Not needed.
General rule is, if you think you might not be able to say it, it is probably wrong.
Cheating vermin. Go for it. Keep peoples heritage out of it.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 2:52pm Campbell, a massive unit, better than Hunter, probably broke even - Marshall & Ryder massive INs.
Hayes moved well, presented and is agile around the ground - must sign him as he's a very good prospect.
Crouch, Jones and Ross are not the players you want delivering the footy inside 50 - all hard at it but must give off.
Ross was the better of the three but it will cost me a telly or several blood vessels if I see him demand the football, stop our run, look backwards and then kick to a contest.
Paton, Gresham and Billings looked very good - all worked very hard
King, Sharman and Membrey need to work away from each other. All are very good one on one but too often draw their opponents on top of their team mate - they draw the long bombs by not finding separation.
Higgins & Butler were both good with their attack on opponents, chasing, harassing and presenting.
Howard for Joyce is a no brainer. Lienert should be in front of Joyce in all honesty.
Battle was very good.
Wlkie missed Howard.
Hill and Sinclair were quite good, as was Webster.
Wood's workrate was very good and showed a good pre season.
Clark I thought tried hard but ultimately too much, sometimes his fault, other times the fault of team mates who sadly appear on different wavelengths.
That first quarter was a shocker, I hope that's not a sign we are back to slow starts, better teams would have ended the game at quarter time.
A very Hawthorn style of short kicks, we need to lift our fitness and skill levels for that to work as we continue to try and draw opposition defenders up the ground.
Excellent summary GL. (I took out a trial subscription to Kayo to watch this game and cancelled it upon conclusion - I wrote to AFL, FoxSports, SEN and ACCC protesting the inability to watch this game with my $164 p.m. (2 IQ4 boxes) Foxtel subscription, had only a standard "no comment" response from AFL, but it stinks!)

This being a practice match with some major omissions in Ryder, Marshall, Howard, Highmnore, Bytel, suggested to me that the selectors weren't particularly concerned about the outcome. Tom Campbell did quite well and will be a useful backup if required, but he did concede quite a few free kicks which were crucial in Carlton's dominance on the scoreboard in the 1st quarter.

Both Sharman, Lienert and Hayes rucked while Campbell was off the ground.

Tim Membrey once again demonstrated why he is arguably St Kilda's most valuable player, took some great marks in defence when backline was under pressure, he is rarely beaten in the contest.

Saints forward structure was almost non-existent, showing the need for Sharman to play there permanently, Billings' move forward was a non-event, he's an "alright" player but I have my doubts about him deserving a place in the best 22, especially if one or more of the youngsters rise to the occasion.

As others have observed, Josh Battle was the Big + from today's hit-out and with Howard back at FB, combined with the ever reliable Wilkie, Webster, Paton and Highmore will provide our team with a really formidable defence.

Neither Ben Long nor Seb Ross did enough to earn selection for Rd 1 - the latter distinguished himself by a clever side-step on the wing and then, bugger me dead, passed the ball straight to an unmarked Blues defender.....no wonder I've got bugger-all hair left on my 82 y.o. head!! Longy didn't have a lot of game time but you can understand why.....

Mason Wood was among the better players, Jarrod Lienert didn't do much, Jack Hayes will definitely be in contention to play.

In contrast, and to their credit, the Blues were much cleaner in the way they moved the ball, quite slick and backed each other in ways that St Kilda failed to do.

When all's said and done I'm not really all that concerned about today's performance, it will have given the selectors plenty to think about when they choose the team to play Essendon on March 5.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Not sure what to make of it other than not much.
So different from the energy and system of last years Community whatever game.
Time of day odd and seems only Clark didn't get memo about don't get hurt if you can help it.
Just don't think we were bothered but Cripps and their ruckman couldn't help themselves but go hard. So what.
Membrey's judgement of a mark is still outstanding.
Byrnes will never shank a kick again like he did today. Head not in the try hard space.
I remember, long, long ago, John Snow bowling to Sth Aussie batsmen and getting carted. Came out in the tests and killed it.
Just keeping our powder dry.
Ikon is not an exciting venue either, is it?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Ross, Crouch and Jones were terrible with disposal. Ross shouldn't get a game at all he is a liability more often than not.
Sharman, Campbell and Hayes will be good acquisitions and I'd take Naish because he can kick.
Battle looked good at CHB and Lienert can kick.
Anyone who can't kick, should have breakaway instincts or good vision and quick reflexes.
Crouch has good vision and quick reflexes, Jones has breakaway instincts and if our forwards are ready, he will find them.
Ross doesn't have these qualities I'd rather blood Owens and Windhager.
Ross is a ball chaser and puts himself in hopeless situations. Its bloody pathetic.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

diddley wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 6:47pm
The Fireman wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 5:11pm .. am I allowed to say the cheating wogs ?
No. Not needed.
General rule is, if you think you might not be able to say it, it is probably wrong.
Shame considering heritage is so valued by all those who live here so as a general rule what if it’s probably right ?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 7:05pm Ross, Crouch and Jones were terrible with disposal. Ross shouldn't get a game at all he is a liability more often than not.
Sharman, Campbell and Hayes will be good acquisitions and I'd take Naish because he can kick.
Anyone who can't kick, should have breakaway instincts or good vision and quick reflexes.
Crouch has good vision and quick reflexes, Jones has breakaway instincts and if our forwards are ready, he will find them.
Ross is a ball chaser and puts himself in hopeless situations. Its bloody pathetic.
So what are your thoughts on Ross? ☺️

seano1
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 6:49pm
Ghost Like wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 2:52pm Campbell, a massive unit, better than Hunter, probably broke even - Marshall & Ryder massive INs.
Hayes moved well, presented and is agile around the ground - must sign him as he's a very good prospect.
Crouch, Jones and Ross are not the players you want delivering the footy inside 50 - all hard at it but must give off.
Ross was the better of the three but it will cost me a telly or several blood vessels if I see him demand the football, stop our run, look backwards and then kick to a contest.
Paton, Gresham and Billings looked very good - all worked very hard
King, Sharman and Membrey need to work away from each other. All are very good one on one but too often draw their opponents on top of their team mate - they draw the long bombs by not finding separation.
Higgins & Butler were both good with their attack on opponents, chasing, harassing and presenting.
Howard for Joyce is a no brainer. Lienert should be in front of Joyce in all honesty.
Battle was very good.
Wlkie missed Howard.
Hill and Sinclair were quite good, as was Webster.
Wood's workrate was very good and showed a good pre season.
Clark I thought tried hard but ultimately too much, sometimes his fault, other times the fault of team mates who sadly appear on different wavelengths.
That first quarter was a shocker, I hope that's not a sign we are back to slow starts, better teams would have ended the game at quarter time.
A very Hawthorn style of short kicks, we need to lift our fitness and skill levels for that to work as we continue to try and draw opposition defenders up the ground.
Excellent summary GL. (I took out a trial subscription to Kayo to watch this game and cancelled it upon conclusion - I wrote to AFL, FoxSports, SEN and ACCC protesting the inability to watch this game with my $164 p.m. (2 IQ4 boxes) Foxtel subscription, had only a standard "no comment" response from AFL, but it stinks!)

This being a practice match with some major omissions in Ryder, Marshall, Howard, Highmnore, Bytel, suggested to me that the selectors weren't particularly concerned about the outcome. Tom Campbell did quite well and will be a useful backup if required, but he did concede quite a few free kicks which were crucial in Carlton's dominance on the scoreboard in the 1st quarter.

Both Sharman, Lienert and Hayes rucked while Campbell was off the ground.

Tim Membrey once again demonstrated why he is arguably St Kilda's most valuable player, took some great marks in defence when backline was under pressure, he is rarely beaten in the contest.

Saints forward structure was almost non-existent, showing the need for Sharman to play there permanently, Billings' move forward was a non-event, he's an "alright" player but I have my doubts about him deserving a place in the best 22, especially if one or more of the youngsters rise to the occasion.

As others have observed, Josh Battle was the Big + from today's hit-out and with Howard back at FB, combined with the ever reliable Wilkie, Webster, Paton and Highmore will provide our team with a really formidable defence.

Neither Ben Long nor Seb Ross did enough to earn selection for Rd 1 - the latter distinguished himself by a clever side-step on the wing and then, bugger me dead, passed the ball straight to an unmarked Blues defender.....no wonder I've got bugger-all hair left on my 82 y.o. head!! Longy didn't have a lot of game time but you can understand why.....

Mason Wood was among the better players, Jarrod Lienert didn't do much, Jack Hayes will definitely be in contention to play.

In contrast, and to their credit, the Blues were much cleaner in the way they moved the ball, quite slick and backed each other in ways that St Kilda failed to do.

When all's said and done I'm not really all that concerned about today's performance, it will have given the selectors plenty to think about when they choose the team to play Essendon on March 5.
Thank god for some decent info …..seem the whole topic was hijacked by the umpire report ….sssh so over it ……so thank you on your opinion of what you saw to give to us that didn’t have the chance today

spert
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 7:05pm Ross, Crouch and Jones were terrible with disposal. Ross shouldn't get a game at all he is a liability more often than not.
Jones is good when he gets a bit of space to run, but in close he is selfish with the ball and tries to take on the pack- he should get rid of the ball quickly. Ross tries hard but that's about it, and I think Bytel should be picked over him any day due to superior skills in close. Not sure about Crouch or where he fits in. Steele played too far off the ball, bruise-free footy and Cripps pantsed him in the midfield. Battle will be ok when they settle him in a position. I would have really liked to see a couple of younger up and comers in there today.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

:lol:
The Fireman wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 5:30pm Season over

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

So to summarise .... we were shockingly terrible ....... we had several of key stars out .......we were absolutely buttpummelled by the umpires ........ and we lost by 1 goal

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 9:13pm So to summarise .... we were shockingly terrible ....... we had several of key stars out .......we were absolutely buttpummelled by the umpires ........ and we lost by 1 goal

Press Beveridge ...and forget

...and have one on Luke.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
stkfc1
Club Player

To me we looked like we were playing bruise free footy and not really that interested. Only a practice game but I'd like to see a step up against the Druggies otherwise red flags for mine. Still not seeing a change in game plan except bomb it long. No set up plays. We need to be smarter than that and that's on the coaching staff to fix pronto.
Our backline with Howard and Highmore back looks like it could we be in the top 4-6 in the como and that's where you build a premiership team from. So I'm happy with that.

And hate to regurgitate but Ross is not best 22 if we are serious about winning a flag.

Geary and Ross should be in Sandy colours for the rest of the year. They are not the future.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Good news is virtually 3 new recruits Battle,Gresh & Paton look like they will all play round 1 & all hopefully have a significant impact!

PADDLEPOP1000
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 7:15pm
diddley wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 6:47pm
No. Not needed.
Shame considering heritage is so valued by all those who live here so as a general rule what if it’s probably right ?
But you’re wrong and it was an ignorant and stupid comment by you, again.

The majority of Carlton players have been Anglo Saxon.

A few of those “wogs” ended up coming to the Saints.

Jezza for instance.

The Saints have also had a few over the years.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Gershwin
Club Player

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote: Fri 25 Feb 2022 9:02am Good news is virtually 3 new recruits Battle,Gresh & Paton look like they will all play round 1 & all hopefully have a significant impact!
You alarm me with your positive attitude to everything.

summertime and the living is easy ........
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Thu 24 Feb 2022 5:11pm I was expecting a much better turnout against .. am I allowed to say the cheating wogs ?
I am disappointed
Ahh, no.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From the age.com.au

"Midfield guns George Hewett and Adam Cerra made a strong impression while the Blues also unveiled a revamped defensive model in a seven-point practice match win over St Kilda on Thursday.

The Saints, also keen to rebound this season, moved the ball well in patches during the 9.13 (67) to 8.12 (60) result, and the shift of Brad Hill from a wing to half-back shapes as a key piece in a vital year for coach Brett Ratten.

On a day when the two club presidents, board members and AFL executives gathered in the Ikon Park stands alongside a healthy public turnout (although some fans were shocked to pay a $15 entry fee), there was enough shown by both clubs to suggest they legitimately will be in the finals hunt come the season proper.

The Blues’ new-look defence – without Liam Jones, who quit over the AFL’s vaccination mandate – featured Mitch McGovern, desperate to revive his career, and fellow tall Oscar McDonald, the latter managing three senior matches last year. They lined up alongside stalwart Jacob Weitering, who had the job on Max King in what was an entertaining battle.
Brad Hill played a new role off half-back for the Saints.

Brad Hill played a new role off half-back for the Saints.

Blues assistant coach Ashley Hansen said McGovern had handled his new role well.

“He made some really good decisions. The more he plays there, he is certainly going to continue to make really good decisions with his positioning and who he supports,” Hansen said.

The Blues had major problems quelling opposition run-ons last year, an issue that conspired to torpedo former coach David Teague, and this reappeared in the first half when the Blues conceded five straight goals. But they reemerged after half-time intent on making amends.

Cerra, the former Docker, and Hewett, the former Swan, were busy in the midfield. Cerra booted two goals in the third term. He and Hewett used the ball well in and around the contest and add considerable depth to what was an area of weakness, highlighted with veteran Ed Curnow and Paddy Dow lining up in the ensuing VFL practice match.

“Depth is going to be really important for us … Cerra’s class and poise, on occasions, really stood out and George’s experience and strength inside just gives ‘Crippa’ [Patrick Cripps] a break and all these other guys,” Hansen said.

Cripps has shed weight and moved freely, with Hansen declaring the captain’s approach had been “faultless”.

Saints’ veterans Zak Jones and Seb Ross were also productive through the midfield/half-back, while Josh Battle appeared at ease in a new role in defence
The coaches’ box

Ratten, the Carlton great, was back in familiar territory but joked pre-match he didn’t know which way the wind would blow because of the construction works going on. It didn’t matter. Hill, typically a dashing link man through the middle, was at ease in a new role at half-back, where he can counter-attack, while recruit Tom Campbell was strong in the ruck. The Saints were ranked 16th for centre-clearance differential last year and must improve in this area.

The Blues hope to have a hardened defensive edge under new coach Michael Voss. The early signs are that they will handball more off half-back, then take a short kick to advantage, rather than initially look to explode through the middle. There also appeared to be a harder edge to their play – a Voss non-negotiable.
Who stood out

Saint Jade Gresham, who has had a wretched two years because of injury, continued his comeback and was smooth inside attacking 50. Skipper Jack Steele was typically busy through the midfield, while the forward combination of Tim Membrey and King will trouble many teams. Ben Long was also lively up forward.

Assistant coach Corey Enright said he was delighted that defender Ben Patton was back from a major knee injury.
George Hewett lays a tackle on Dan Butler.

George Hewett lays a tackle on Dan Butler.Credit:AFL Photos

Having underperformed last year, a fit Zac Williams covered the ground well at half-back for the Blues and was engaged with teammates in how they set up. Jack Silvagni was busy up forward and was used as a back-up ruckman at centre bounces and around the ground. Charlie Curnow left the field with a jarred knee but the Blues said he would be fine.
The new kids

There wasn’t much to report on this front. For the Blues, Jesse Motlop, the former South Fremantle small forward snapped up with pick No.27 in last year’s national draft, played in a VFL practice match. Domanic Akuei, a category B rookie, has groin soreness. The Saints did not field Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, pick No.11, nor Mitch Owens, Marcus Windhager and defender Oscar Adams. South Australian Jack Hayes, fighting for a spot on the list, impressed when given a run in the second half.
Who’s missing

The Blues have a 10-man injury ward, headlined by Harry McKay (foot) and Sam Walsh (syndesmosis). Ruckman Tom De Koning is also on the mend following surgery, while defender Liam Stocker (syndesmosis) is also working hard to be fit for round one. Blues football department boss Brad Lloyd said Sam Docherty, having recovered from testicular cancer, could log minutes against Melbourne next week. The Blues hope Jack Martin will return against Melbourne. The Saints were without Nick Coffield (ACL), while Jarryn Geary, Rowan Marshall and Paddy Ryder are being eased into the season.