Is Dean Kent this years Luke Dunstan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Is Dean Kent this years Luke Dunstan

Obviously Kent is not a walk up 22 name however in the intractable match he was clearly not the worst on the ground

He didn’t play v Carlton (but was not injured)

Is he out of favour as was Dunstan

Yes he can be wasteful, but he has terrific strength and speed to break a line, he also has a solid step

He should be in the mix for round 1

Fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Dean Kent this years Luke Dunstan

Fair call TSR, he probably should be in consideration. From memory his end to 2021 wasn't too bad. Appears depth though and will be applying pressure to Butler, Higgins, Gresham and Billings.

Long may even be in front.

That said, if our best 22 has Kent and Long in it, then our season is not going to plan.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Can't kick accurately.
Can't remember him being involved in any scoring chains.

Saw him in Perth, he marked in F50, well within scoring distance, in last qtr, missed. That's my memory of him. Wasteful

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saynta
Saintsational Legend

From the coach's report on the Sandy v Blues match

On Dean Kent:

Dean Kent was a standout (on his birthday as well). He looked like he was playing a bit freely, his contest work was good and he looked like his explosive self.

The work he’s done on his body in the off-season looks like it’s shown some rewards. I know it’s only a practice match but with him you can start to see some habits forming already.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 04 Mar 2022 3:50pm Fair call TSR, he probably should be in consideration. From memory his end to 2021 wasn't too bad. Appears depth though and will be applying pressure to Butler, Higgins, Gresham and Billings.

That said, if our best 22 has Kent and Long in it, then our season is not going to plan.
Caveat - I will own my comments ..I’m hungry for the season, but TBH under 15cs footballer here!
Haven’t been to a game in five years and watched about a dozen games in the screen with Kent

He kicked a couple of beauties - one a real beauty from 50 - at seasons end…and he has quick reflexes. He can snatch a ball and throw it on his boot in a flash in a straight line.

But that’s about it as far as I have seen. He doesn’t cut the lines and penetrate the defense I’ve system like my heros.

He’s not the player we hoped. He’s been lucky to play as many games as he has played. Think Ratts likes him. Sometimes, he is woeful or invisible.
If he is picked , it’s a bad sign IMO

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 04 Mar 2022 3:50pm Fair call TSR, he probably should be in consideration. From memory his end to 2021 wasn't too bad. Appears depth though and will be applying pressure to Butler, Higgins, Gresham and Billings.

Caveat - I will own my comments ..I’m hungry for the season, but TBH under 15cs footballer here!
Haven’t been to a game in five years and watched about a dozen games in the screen with Kent

He kicked a couple of beauties - one a real beauty from 50 - at seasons end…and he has quick reflexes. He can snatch a ball and throw it on his boot in a flash in a straight line.

But that’s about it as far as I have seen. He doesn’t cut the lines and penetrate the defense I’ve system like my heros.

He’s not the player we hoped. He’s been lucky to play as many games as he has played. Think Ratts likes him. Sometimes, he is woeful or invisible.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Very lucky to get a contract for 2022 IMO.
Has been a depth player his whole career and I doubt that will change.

He is handy back up as he can come in and have an impact.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan had multiple BOGs last year, Kent doesn't have that ability.

Dunstan was best 22 last year, Kent wasn't last year and isn't this year.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Oh ffs. some posters have nothing better to do than put s*** on saints players. f****** boring if you ask me.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I think Kent will get picked round 1 if his good pre season continues.

As I said in another thread, I think Ratts will go with AFL experience over players untried at AFL level for the first few 4 to 6 weeks just to try and get the side at least 3 or more wins in that phase.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 04 Mar 2022 4:31pm Very lucky to get a contract for 2022 IMO.
Has been a depth player his whole career and I doubt that will change.

He is handy back up as he can come in and have an impact.
Yep. Last player retained on the list from last year. Would need to step it up significantly to be regular 22.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1071125/ ... d=16589982

Seems Luke and club aren't done yet. Must be on a playing permit from the Dee's. Probably why he didn't play last night. 😁

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don’t think Kent and Dunstan make for a good comparison.

If for no other reason, Dunstan was heavily out of favour at the start of 2021 and had to fight his way into the team.

I’ve always had the impression that Kent seems to be very well liked by Ratts and he seemed to be a Richo favourite too.
Kent has had patches of decent form but overall hasn’t set the world on fire but has had ample ample opportunities.

Ironically enough… he’s almost the opposite of Dunstan in that Kent seems to train hard, is very well liked by his team mates and obviously does what the coaches want.

The challenge for Kent IMO is that he doesn’t have a great weapon. If you watch him play, his whole game is reliant on him getting out into space.
Most of his goals are the result of set shots or him having shots from in the open. Decent enough strategy except he’s not overly quick, doesn’t have a knack for finding space and struggles when close checked.

Further to that… not a strong grab and not a great crumbed. Doesn’t win a lot of ball up the ground and not particularly damaging. Surprisingly not a great set shot either

Good to read he’s in good nic but he’s well outside my top 22 at the moment

Gershwin
Club Player

He can get the ball but seems to be a stop and prop player. Won’t take the game on.

summertime and the living is easy ........
saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 04 Mar 2022 5:47pm https://www.saints.com.au/news/1071125/ ... d=16589982

Seems Luke and club aren't done yet. Must be on a playing permit from the Dee's. Probably why he didn't play last night. 😁
You lost me there.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 04 Mar 2022 7:06pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 04 Mar 2022 5:47pm https://www.saints.com.au/news/1071125/ ... d=16589982

You lost me there.
Dunstan was named in the centre for us, by Saints twitter.

A coupla hours later, a correction was issued

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 04 Mar 2022 7:57pm
saynta wrote: Fri 04 Mar 2022 7:06pm

You lost me there.
Dunstan was named in the centre for us, by Saints twitter.

A coupla hours later, a correction was issued
Oh, OK. Thanks mate.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Kent is not best 22 and not even best 26 imo

He seems to have worked hard over pre season so i hope he does well when he gets his chance

spert
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote: Sat 05 Mar 2022 10:41am Kent is not best 22 and not even best 26 imo

He seems to have worked hard over pre season so i hope he does well when he gets his chance
Probably got more chance of kicking goals than Butler, who needs to start putting some score back on the board a la 2020. Kent is in the best 24 IMO

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote: Sat 05 Mar 2022 10:41am Kent is not best 22 and not even best 26 imo

Yes and tonight's selection appears to support that theory, even with Jones, Hannebery and Ryder out. Seems he is just in front of Lonie.

Surprising because on exposed practice match form, he was better than or the equal of some. Very much depth it seems.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 05 Mar 2022 1:38pm

Yes and tonight's selection appears to support that theory, even with Jones, Hannebery and Ryder out. Seems he is just in front of Lonie.

Surprising because on exposed practice match form, he was better than or the equal of some. Very much depth it seems.
As Lonie is playing in the Amateurs, does that mean Kent will play in the VAFA this year lol

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 06 Mar 2022 4:20am
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 05 Mar 2022 1:38pm

As Lonie is playing in the Amateurs, does that mean Kent will play in the VAFA this year lol
Well picked up, that's what I was hinting.