Training - Friday March 11

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmike65
Club Player

Training - Friday March 11

A Full scale match practice was held in the morning, including proper umpires.
It was only about half a game but played at a good intensity.
On some occasions, the ball was taken to different parts of the ground to practice set play scenarios.
It appeared the team in black jumpers were the likely side to take on Collingwood in round 1, with a couple of interesting players within that group, Mitch Owens, Jack Bytel, and Jack Hayes.
Jack Steel didn't play, so there were a number of centre bounce combinations trialed, Byrnes, Owens, Windhager, Gresham, Bytel, and Dean Kent all had a go in there, as well as the usual suspects in Crouch and Ross.
An interesting dual on the wing was NWM and Mason Wood, with both doing some nice things for their respective teams...Nasiah certainly has some silk and is good to watch!
Wood and McKenzie were both creative for the black team on their respective wings, Owens did some nice things, Windhager got a bit of it, Hayes I reckon a monte for round 1.
Young Heath was again combative against Marshall and will never die wondering, forming a promising ruck partnership with Cambell, however, he was taught a bit of a lesson from Howard when playing forward.
Geary did play but was understandably rusty, however, he did a lovely baulk on the wing, which was loudly appreciated by his teammates.
I must admit I have some real concerns about Allison, just seems to be an athlete trying to play footy but lacks the nouse and composure required...hope I'm wrong, as he hasn't had a lot of footy in the past couple of years.

The main training session next week is on Tuesday morning, 9 am at RSEA Park.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Re: Training - Friday March 11

Thanks for the training update

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Know it's a brief - and much appreciated - summary by necessity, but no mention of Ben Long. Drawing a long bow from that: be really interested in what sparked the dramatic improvement in Sinclair compared to an apparent gradual decline in Ben's stocks. Is it inherent skill and physicality, opportunity, injuries, coaching, a bit of all that or something else. (Now are you going to tell me Ben was in a black top and played well?)

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 12 Mar 2022 10:27am Know it's a brief - and much appreciated - summary by necessity, but no mention of Ben Long. Drawing a long bow from that: be really interested in what sparked the dramatic improvement in Sinclair compared to an apparent gradual decline in Ben's stocks. Is it inherent skill and physicality, opportunity, injuries, coaching, a bit of all that or something else. (Now are you going to tell me Ben was in a black top and played well?)
The only folks who know the answer are
Sincs
Long
Ratts and the other coaches

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 12 Mar 2022 10:27am Know it's a brief - and much appreciated - summary by necessity, but no mention of Ben Long. Drawing a long bow from that: be really interested in what sparked the dramatic improvement in Sinclair compared to an apparent gradual decline in Ben's stocks. Is it inherent skill and physicality, opportunity, injuries, coaching, a bit of all that or something else. (Now are you going to tell me Ben was in a black top and played well?)
Sincs always had skills.

Billings also has skills. Alas.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Thanks your updates are much appreciated.

Glad to hear Bytel is back and Geary is starting his return. I think we are on absolute winner in Max Heath and he will be the sort of player to build a midfield around in a coming of years. It says a lot about an 18 yo tall kid who is prepared to throw his size around against men.

I think your description of Allison is on the money (an athlete trying to play footy). Tony74 rates him, but I must say of the games I saw last year he was a long way off even justifying his position in the Sandringham side. He runs around and looks like he gives maximum effort, but just has no idea how to effect a contest or win the ball. He simply doesnt poseess the inate footballing nous of AFL footballers. I have tried, but I cant see what our recruiters saw in him. As an example Oscar Adams showed more in one preseason game after a month at the club, than Allison has in 3 years.

I believe the club extended his contract last year so they must believe or hope he has something. Some kids are a slow burn and I guess he has time on his side, but he will need to show something this year IMO to warrant his spot on the list.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 12 Mar 2022 11:13am Thanks Saint Mike your updates are much appreciated.

Glad to hear Bytel is back and Geary is starting his return. I think we are on absolute winner in Max Heath and he will be the sort of player to build a midfield around in a coming of years. It says a lot about an 18 yo tall kid who is prepared to throw his size around against men.

I think your description of Allison is on the money (an athlete trying to play footy). Tony74 rates him, but I must say of the games I saw last year he was a long way off even justifying his position in the Sandringham side. He runs around and looks like he gives maximum effort, but just has no idea how to effect a contest or win the ball. He simply doesnt poseess the inate footballing nous of AFL footballers. I have tried, but I cant see what our recruiters saw in him.

Some might suggest he doesnt gave to appease me, thats fine. But after decades of playing and coaching I believe I have a good eye for spotting young talent. The club extended his contract last year so they must believe or hope he has something. Some kids are a slow burn and I guess he has time on his side, but he will need to show something this year IMO to wareant his spot on the list.
Max Heath is 19 IM, a significant difference for a recruit and just 12 months younger than Luke Jackson (Demons) who played 6 games in his debut season and every game since. I expect Max, who at 204 cm is 5 cm taller than Jackson, will do likewise, debut this year and go on to become #1 ruckman and in partnership with Roma give our team one of the best ruck combos in the comp!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 12 Mar 2022 10:46am
Sincs always had skills.

Billings also has skills. Alas.
Who would have thought that our first rookie pick from 2014 would be in our top few players in 2022 while our national draft number 1 pick from the same year would be delisted and our 2013 pick 3 would be a GOP.

With that said, I have always wondered what would happen if we tried Billings at half back. Sinclair was always a GOP until he had the game in front of him. I wonder if Billings could go to another level in that role as well

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 12 Mar 2022 11:13am Thanks your updates are much appreciated.

I think your description of Allison is on the money (an athlete trying to play footy). Tony74 rates him, but I must say of the games I saw last year he was a long way off even justifying his position in the Sandringham side. He runs around and looks like he gives maximum effort, but just has no idea how to effect a contest or win the ball. He simply doesnt poseess the inate footballing nous of AFL footballers. I have tried, but I cant see what our recruiters saw in him. As an example Oscar Adams showed more in one preseason game after a month at the club, than Allison has in 3 years.

I believe the club extended his contract last year so they must believe or hope he has something. Some kids are a slow burn and I guess he has time on his side, but he will need to show something this year IMO to warrant his spot on the list.
I can’t comment on Allison as I’ve never seen him.

Experience tells me that there are very few players that come to our club and the feedback within the first two years is “he is really far off it and I don’t know what the recruiters saw in him” that come back from that.
Am struggling to think of any.

The bar for lowest acceptable feedback is:
Kid has potential but needs to really work on his fitness/add muscle

If you start from behind that... things are pretty bleak IMO

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

From BrutThough on BF -

Went to training this morning. The new stand looks magnificent.

Looks like we will go with Marshall and Hayes in the ruck.

Steele did a few drills and then went inside. Looked like he was fine, just being managed. Highmore (with the fluro cap) and Bytel did the same which suggests Bytel unlikely to be right for rd1. He stood out in the drills and was moving well. Both came out at the end, ran some laps and did some work alongside Ryder. Geary took part in the match sim, playing forward.

Most notable - Owens was in the A team. Started in the middle alongside Crouch and Ross in the match sim. Gresh rotated in throughout, swapping with Owens. B team consisted of Byrnes, Windy, Long with Kent rotating in.

Stand outs - King's marking and then following through with his set shots. Howard was marking it more than spoiling. Higgins and Wood also kicking it well. Every time Hill got involved, something happen. Him and Sinclair as a combo could be a real weapon this year. Hayes hits hard. The ball just gravitates to Gresh - each time he went into the middle, he won it.

Of the youngsters - Heath has something about him. Still very raw but he competes really well. Nasiah had a great moment just outside 50 where he took Sinclair on, ran around him 2-3 times then kicked it nicely into the pocket (the mark was dropped). Connolly looked good in the game too.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Was it ever confirmed whether Allison did indeed get a contract extension until the end of 2024?

By all the casual observers of training (nothing else to go on ATM) that seems folly.

Now as I adjust my seated position on the fence...

If the club saw fit to add another two years I can only surmise what they see is some talent on a slow burn and the monetary terms to be relatively small.

Thanks SM65 for the summary, good to hear Bytel is back, with no Jones or Hannebery for ??? long, he's an opportunity to make a spot his own.

wally
Club Player

In regard to Allison sounds abit like Rhys Stanley The knock was ( and probably still is ) an athlete playing football , can anyone remember his early days if they are comparable?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote: Sat 12 Mar 2022 2:21pm In regard to Allison sounds abit like Rhys Stanley The knock was ( and probably still is ) an athlete playing football , can anyone remember his early days if they are comparable?
Stanley could always take a contested mark and when he was on, show some physicality. I dont want to be too derogatory, but Allison is 195-196cms tall and plays like an Irishman, who is still learning the game. He is a good kick, but struggles to win the footy in the air or on the ground, he has no presence about him at all. IMO he has zero chance of becoming the key position (lead up forward) player they thought they were recruiting, the best they can hope for is a tall flanker or wingman at best.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Baker looked very ordinary in his first year. Looked like he had no idea. Played over 200 games. No one was getting uber excited about Jason Blake and Jamie Shanahan in their first season. Remember when we recruited Sam Fisher? Played him forward in his first year and he looked destined to end up back in Adelaide. Moved to the backline, got fitter, and he was a star.

I haven't seen Allison play at all, but he did come to us after a growth spurt and was really skinny. Still, Wanganeen-Milera is skinny and he looks like a player already.

The club obviously sees something. It's a bit unusual for us to give a contract extension on the back of zero form. Mind you, the last two years have been a bit of a bizarre, disjointed situation for players in the seconds, so that has to be factored in.

Time will tell.

Saintmike65
Club Player

No, Longy was in a white jumper…to be honest Sinclair has leapfrogged most on the list due to his work rate,speed, footy nouse and he’s so clean with his ball handling & decision making.
Ben Long isn’t in his league, which is a shame because I thought he had a big upside when drafted.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Sat 12 Mar 2022 6:00pm
No, Longy was in a white jumper…to be honest Sinclair has leapfrogged most on the list due to his work rate,speed, footy nouse and he’s so clean with his ball handling & decision making.
Ben Long isn’t in his league, which is a shame because I thought he had a big upside when drafted.
Sinclair has been regarded as elite for a number of years.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why do people think Sinclair has SUDDENLY come good at 25?!

He was rated ELITE as a wing in 2018

He showed plenty as a small forward in 2014

Always had talent

Billings is a very good HF/Winger

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He did it consistently last year which was the difference.

We hope he keeps it up.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.