47 - HAYES

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: 47 - HAYES

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 11:32am
saynta wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 10:47am
Zed wrote: Fri 18 Mar 2022 11:33pm Heart of a lion
Very impressive
Best or tied for best with Marshall
I was not convinced that he should be picked. I was very wrong.
I was convinced that he was going to be picked for this match as soon as he came to the club. And I was spot on right. :wink: :wink:
As opposed to the other 99% of St Kilda fans who also thought with no Ryder that Hayes would play in his place?
No. Way earlier than that.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 11:00am He's a Blardiner, a Blake / Gardiner hybrid. He wills himself to contests, competes, scraps and refuses to wave a white flag when the odds are against him.

He's no centre bounce ruck but neither is Marshall, their value is from contest to contest - both are 2nd rucks at best, ruck rovers at worst.
Interesting point. Maybe play him as a ruck rover? Apart from dash and creativity we also lacked grunt and muscle in the middle last night. Steele can’t do it all himself and I thought Crouch and Ross were just ordinary

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 12:33pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 11:00am He's a Blardiner, a Blake / Gardiner hybrid. He wills himself to contests, competes, scraps and refuses to wave a white flag when the odds are against him.

He's no centre bounce ruck but neither is Marshall, their value is from contest to contest - both are 2nd rucks at best, ruck rovers at worst.
Interesting point. Maybe play him as a ruck rover? Apart from dash and creativity we also lacked grunt and muscle in the middle last night. Steele can’t do it all himself and I thought Crouch and Ross were just ordinary
IMHFO, Crouch was one of our top 5 or 6 players and Ross top 10. King kicked 1.3 with one hitting the post and a further opportunity missed in the goal square. He kicks 5 goals and we win.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Also four misses by Higgins in addition to refusing to pass to Gresham in space, and kicking it to where two Collingwood defenders were.

One year will be our year
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 1:10pm

IMHFO, Crouch was one of our top 5 or 6 players and Ross top 10. King kicked 1.3 with one hitting the post and a further opportunity missed in the goal square. He kicks 5 goals and we win.
We saw it differently. That’s fine

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 2:16pm

:wink:

From afl.com.au and saints.com.au

BEST
St Kilda: Sinclair, Hayes, Steele, Marshall, Gresham Crouch
Collingwood: De Goey, Lipinski, Howe, N. Daicos, T. Adams, Mihocek, J. Daicos
Last edited by saynta on Sat 19 Mar 2022 2:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 2:41pm

BEST
Didn’t look at his stats. Just going on what my eyes told me. Maybe he got a mention because he “played his role”

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 5:27pm
saynta wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 2:41pm

BEST
Didn’t look at his stats. Just going on what my eyes told me. Maybe he got a mention because he “played his role”
Tried his heart out all night. IMHO.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Could this lump of a lad with good dukes be the CHB we need if Battle can’t do it?!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 9:19pm Could this lump of a lad with good dukes be the CHB we need if Battle can’t do it?!

Without a doubt

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Crouch had 27 disposals.
In my eyes, most of them were under pressure, rushed, and didn't go to our advantage, particularly as our guys behave like Auskick kids and can't work out how to support each other.
So raw data- 27 touches? A large number, but all for nought, really

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Munga
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 9:19pm Could this lump of a lad with good dukes be the CHB we need if Battle can’t do it?!
Our only guy who can kick straight? We need two of him, really

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

When Ryder is back (and assuming Marshall still available) I would move Hayes to CHF. He played more there in the SANFL than ruck. Will give us a contest and will keep presenting as an option.

Play Ro as the primary ruck, Paddy just a burst ruckman coming off the bench and Hayes can maybe do some of the forward rucks.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Second Ruckmen rarely sit on the pine, Mids who have to cover 15km do

With King, Marshall and Membrey forward, where does Hayes fit in?

Maybe a McGovern style CHB

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Lenny was absolutely brilliant - I'm thrilled to be totally wrong about him. I thought he was going to struggle due to lack of athleticism and reports of poor goal kicking had me doubtful on his ability to perform at AFL level.

I don't think it really matters where he plays - the roaming HF/wing could be a good role for him. He's not going to be able to compete with genuine ruckmen but he could hold his own against another pinch hitter.

Out: Kent, Owens
In: Sharman, Bytel

B: Paton, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Hill, Battle, Sinclair
C: Wood, Steele, McKenzie
HF: Byrnes, Membrey, Hayes
F: Butler, King, Higgins

Foll: Marshall, Crouch, Gresham
Int: Bytel, Ross, Sharman, Webster

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Hayes a HF?

No Ryder?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I like it MSG, Marshall & Hayes can rotate through HF and the bench. When they are on the bench, Sharman gets his opportunity.

I like you've given Byrnes another opportunity. Personally I would have liked to have seen Connolly in to allow playmakers from the back half to rotate through the middle without harming our ball use out of the back half.

Will be interesting to watch Battle this week and how long he can keep Highmore or Lienert out for.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Play Ryder and Hayes in the ruck.

Use Hayes as required when not rucking.

Play Marshall as mostly a permanent forward.

Move Sinclair to the midfield permanently. We’ve found an excellent midfielder.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sunday Tackle: Stunning debuts make ‘mockery’ of recruiting.

Sam Landsberger, heraldsun.com.au

Hayes might have enjoyed the best debut by a St Kilda player since Dean Greig had 39 touches against Carlton in 1991.

He single-handedly swung the match with an unstoppable burst deep in the third quarter. Hayes kicked back-to-back goals, plucked intercept marks and chased like his life depended on it. It was 26 years in the making and came off a mini pre-season, which posed the question … where the heck has this SANFL star with an Adelaide haircut been?

Hayes lit up 93 state games and was best-afield in last year’s SANFL grand final without a club ever giving him a chance. Brett Ratten conceded it was easy to dwell on what players can’t do rather than what they can.

Hayes has long boasted the best contested mark outside the AFL. But recruiters doubted he had the speed and agility to cover the ground and said at 194cm he was undersized.

Well, Hayes made a mockery of those queries against the Magpies.

What a shame umpire Ray Chamberlain, who was on the edge of round 1 selection himself, missed a free kick that would’ve allowed Hayes to drag the margin under a kick in the final minutes.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 10:53am Sunday Tackle: Stunning debuts make ‘mockery’ of recruiting.

Hayes might have enjoyed the best debut by a St Kilda player since Dean Greig had 39 touches against Carlton in 1991.

He single-handedly swung the match with an unstoppable burst deep in the third quarter. Hayes kicked back-to-back goals, plucked intercept marks and chased like his life depended on it. It was 26 years in the making and came off a mini pre-season, which posed the question … where the heck has this SANFL star with an Adelaide haircut been?

Hayes lit up 93 state games and was best-afield in last year’s SANFL grand final without a club ever giving him a chance. Brett Ratten conceded it was easy to dwell on what players can’t do rather than what they can.

Hayes has long boasted the best contested mark outside the AFL. But recruiters doubted he had the speed and agility to cover the ground and said at 194cm he was undersized.

What a shame umpire Ray Chamberlain, who was on the edge of round 1 selection himself, missed a free kick that would’ve allowed Hayes to drag the margin under a kick in the final minutes.
Ray “I’ll decide the winner” Chamberlain. Had enough of this guy. He likes to play God.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 11:04am
bigcarl wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 10:53am Sunday Tackle: Stunning debuts make ‘mockery’ of recruiting.

Ray “I’ll decide the winner” Chamberlain. Had enough of this guy. He likes to play God.
I said it last year and will say it again, if the umpires do not want players engaging with them, they need to stop engaging with players. Just learn the rules, stop guessing & STFU.

Not one person pays their money at the gate or turns on their telly to see or hear them. They can take their 6 figures of part time money & disappear quietly.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Marshall

As a ruckman

Had 21 disposals

He’s a 8/10 ruckman

A 4/10 forward

Needs to play in the ruck for periods

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 18 Mar 2022 11:38pm On TV (I live in Perth) he appears slow and lumbering, but to his credit, he dishes off before he gets caught, so has good awareness. IMHO
Get a faster TV. Hayes isn't slow in real time, he was popping up all over the ground.

Saint supporter since '62
SaintDippa
Club Player

Hayes has that technically perfect kicking action. Straight line run up and classic ball drop and swing thru.
Maybe we should send all draftees to the SANFL for two years.