Dan Hannebery's recruitment and retention on our list is the epitome of why we will never win a premiership.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Laurie
Club Player

Re: Dan Hannebery's recruitment and retention on our list is the epitome of why we will never win a premiership.

The sooner he retires or is shown the door the better it will be for thee club.
He has been an absolute failure thanks to SL and others involved.
He has had a great pre season for the last four years and when the crunch comes for round 1 he has broken down mark my words he will only play 3-5 games which i would rather put into a young draftee.

Please Dan do the right thing and retire i am sick of you being listed on our missing list you have been missing for 4 years.

Being paid for running laps is easy money though i guess.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dan Hannebery's recruitment and retention on our list is the epitome of why we will never win a premiership.

cwrcyn wrote: Sun 27 Mar 2022 8:36am It's the money that hurts the most, not the pick that we gave up ( a late second round swapped for a third round, I think?)
??? Isn’t this the wrong way around…

Did you mean to say, ‘It’s the money…not the picks” or “Not the money, it’s the picks”

I don’t think the money matters from a technical point of view. The money hurts spiritually. It’s embarrassing and humiliating for the club and supporters. But from a technical point of view, the money is just part of the annual fund we have to spend, and no doubt the 20 million dollar drip fund we require is noted.

But that drip fund also puts St Kilda in a passive position. No bargaining power at AFL head quarters. We must be socially responsible, politically correct, get crappy fixtures etc. in return.

But the picks hurt …surely!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
damienc
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 27 Mar 2022 8:43am What makes all this go away is wins and proof our list is capable of finals.

The problem is I'm not hearing any optimism about this list
even from our enclave of fans who wear the rosiest of coloured glasses.

Can someone have a go at spinning a convincing argument regarding our finals chances in the next 2 to 3 years?
Yes. To all of this.

The Recruit
Club Player

Did you hear a few years before the Hannebery trade we took Mccartin instead of Petracca……it’s literally an example of an institutionalised culture of failure at Stkilda FC

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 27 Mar 2022 11:39am
cwrcyn wrote: Sun 27 Mar 2022 8:36am It's the money that hurts the most, not the pick that we gave up ( a late second round swapped for a third round, I think?)

Did you mean to say, ‘It’s the money…not the picks” or “Not the money, it’s the picks”

I don’t think the money matters from a technical point of view. The money hurts spiritually. It’s embarrassing and humiliating for the club and supporters. But from a technical point of view, the money is just part of the annual fund we have to spend, and no doubt the 20 million dollar drip fund we require is noted.

But that drip fund also puts St Kilda in a passive position. No bargaining power at AFL head quarters. We must be socially responsible, politically correct, get crappy fixtures etc. in return.

The money hurts from being a large chunk of our salary cap set aside for an A grade player. If that player cannot get on the field for the period of his contract we are effectively playing to a reduced salary cap in relation to the other 17 clubs.

The desire to spend that "war chest" at all costs hurt our future abilities to identify, assess and bid for subsequent RFAs and FAs. The money should have been spread across the list by front ending current player contractd.

damienc
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 27 Mar 2022 10:26am As you asked, I'd answer no.

The McCartin selection was worse epitome-wise, I think.

Fortunately, as a result, all of those concerned have now left the club or in Finnis' case about to leave.

That debacle precipitated, at great cost, a revival of Saint Kilda from President to coach to recruiting.

But we have since recovered to play finals and while not a premiership side have every reason to expect the current list to get us into the 8 if well managed. And injuries give us a fair break.

The Hannebery deal is a shocking shocking bust. However I see it as Lethlean coming into a club run by fools going nowhere and him looking to get a spark going with limited sparks interested. He made a very well intentioned mistake. My crossness is directed at Dan and the medical assessors. Clearly Dan mislead to the point of possibly fibbing about his fitness and the medical assessors were either incompetent or complicit in what now looks like a fraud to me.

I just want Dan to retire asap. The stench and distraction has over staid it's welcome. We have a new exciting crop of mids to develop, lets just look forward.

You are so do right about the number 1 draft pick debacle. Petracca is hands down the best player in the AFL by a considerable margin. The fact that we could have selected him and didn't is pretty hard to live with.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The alarm bells should have been ringing when Sydney were trying to off load a Premiership / AA / Club Champion mid contract who was mid to late twenties. They needed salary cap space and identified Hannebery would be chewing up salary for poor return. No other club was interested. Somehow we couldn't even broker a deal making Sydney pay part of it & we threw in a draft pick.

These points were all identified by us, the great unwashed and the media at the time. I do wish the club would let him go because it is demoralising for the supporters and the club hearing of each set back. We let Paddy go, now it's time to let Dan go.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

If we start winning games it'll be Dan who ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
SunnyErnie
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 27 Mar 2022 12:55pm If we start winning games it'll be Dan who ?
Do you really think we are going to start winning games??

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Linton Street Saint
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 27 Mar 2022 12:55pm If we start winning games it'll be Dan who ?
This is a mentality I don't get.

My feelings on Dan Hannebery's recruitment, retention and bulls*** spun by the club does not change regardless of if we are winning games or not.

Whether we win them or not every step of the journey has been made inherently more difficult by it having been made. That may be games and development into other players, money into making our salary cap easier to manage when we were in a position to chase elite talent etc. etc. Even down to selection, players feelings of worth imagine fighting for game time, contract $$$ while old mate has been running laps at $100,000 a pop. You're dealing with human beings and underlying cultural issues like this are ALWAYS going to have ramifications.

Would do in EVERY workplace I have ever worked in.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The other thing that I find is becoming quite tiresome, reading Saints fans here, BF and FB defending the trade as:
- being a smart move
-emphasising that he’ll turn it all around and earn his contract
- suggesting the risk was worth it
- that he’s provided excellent leadership
- that he’s a great guy for sacrifice approx $150k of his $600k salary for the 10 games he’s played in three years

It’s been quite embarrassing for a while

Even through the keyboard you can hear opposition fans laughing and pitying us for been too dumb to even know that we’ve been obviously had

I really just don’t want to hear any optimism from the club that he’s coming back soon and is flying, ready to reward the faith we’ve shown in him

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 27 Mar 2022 11:54am
shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 27 Mar 2022 11:39am

The money hurts from being a large chunk of our salary cap set aside for an A grade player. If that player cannot get on the field for the period of his contract we are effectively playing to a reduced salary cap in relation to the other 17 clubs.

The desire to spend that "war chest" at all costs hurt our future abilities to identify, assess and bid for subsequent RFAs and FAs. The money should have been spread across the list by front ending current player contractd.
I don’t see how this could work.
We can’t just spread the money around on other players we already have under contract. That would be a mess and a can of worms. We have to pick somebody. The rationale used for a broken down Hannebury was obviously BS..whilst it is true we did lack a skilled midfielder..still do.

I think we were in a corner cos nobody wanted to play at St Kilda.

So it ended up being like a one day captain who has to reluctantly bowl so-and-so bowler at the end of the innings because he/she got their sums wrong.

And that bowler was Hannebury, who once bowled leggies like Warnie and ended up bowling them like Johnny Howard.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

That's what I don't agree with SG, contracts get changed before their end date all the time if both parties agree. If X player was in the first year of a $400K p.a. for 3 years and the club said, "We want to free up salary cap space going forward, we'd like to pay you $550K p.a. for your first two years and $100K in your 3rd" Come that 3rd year we have another $400 to play with (offer). Both parties agree & sign.

It's all on our books and above board, unlike the Joe Daniher deal that got Essendon a Top 10 draft pick.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 27 Mar 2022 2:11pm That's what I don't agree with SG, contracts get changed before their end date all the time if both parties agree. If X player was in the first year of a $400K p.a. for 3 years and the club said, "We want to free up salary cap space going forward, we'd like to pay you $550K p.a. for your first two years and $100K in your 3rd" Come that 3rd year we have another $400 to play with (offer). Both parties agree & sign.

It's all on our books and above board, unlike the Joe Daniher deal that got Essendon a Top 10 draft pick.
Fair enough. I didn’t think it was so flexible.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Sun 27 Mar 2022 1:03pm
Do you really think we are going to start winning games??
:lol: :lol:

It's better not to think about it, i prefer to just watch and see what they deliver each game, and then vent.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Linton Street Saint wrote: Sun 27 Mar 2022 1:09pm

My feelings on Dan Hannebery's recruitment, retention and bulls*** spun by the club does not change regardless of if we are winning games or not.

Whether we win them or not every step of the journey has been made inherently more difficult by it having been made. That may be games and development into other players, money into making our salary cap easier to manage when we were in a position to chase elite talent etc. etc. Even down to selection, players feelings of worth imagine fighting for game time, contract $$$ while old mate has been running laps at $100,000 a pop. You're dealing with human beings and underlying cultural issues like this are ALWAYS going to have ramifications.

Dan is a waste of a list spot , almost everyone but Lethlean knows that, but while we are losing posters like to focus on the negatives, like Dan, and others.

IF we were to start winning then the focus would be on winning , not on our various list cloggers, that's my point. I want the club to retire him not trot out the same bulldust everytime he re-injures himself.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 27 Mar 2022 3:25pm
Linton Street Saint wrote: Sun 27 Mar 2022 1:09pm

Dan is a waste of a list spot , almost everyone but Lethlean knows that, but while we are losing posters like to focus on the negatives, like Dan, and others.

IF we were to start winning then the focus would be on winning , not on our various list cloggers, that's my point. I want the club to retire him not trot out the same bulldust everytime he re-injures himself.
Clubs’ PR departments are a joke. It’s not their fault. They must feel like they are against the world nowadays ..
1) a million journos waiting to ‘break a story’
2) cancel culture - social guillotine
3) social media
4) political correctness police
5) corporate sponsor hygiene
6) player managers

It feels like they just hire the same third party PR gang and read from a script.

Inside the club!
Is it corrosive? Or is it team bonding?

That’s the bit where the Hanna’s story is relevant I think.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

At least he improved training standards.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sun 27 Mar 2022 11:52am
Vortex wrote: Sun 27 Mar 2022 8:43am What makes all this go away is wins and proof our list is capable of finals.

The problem is I'm not hearing any optimism about this list
even from our enclave of fans who wear the rosiest of coloured glasses.

Can someone have a go at spinning a convincing argument regarding our finals chances in the next 2 to 3 years?
Yes. To all of this.
Well I'd be keen to hear it.