Autopsy Thread: Saints v Freo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PremiershipSaint
Club Player

Re: Autopsy Thread: Saints v Freo

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 5:32am As an aside, are we really going to wear that away guernsey against the Swans and GCS?
We wear our home jumper against those teams.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From afl.com.au

"The Woodville West-Torrens product starred on debut against Collingwood in round one and was played his role in Perth, finishing with 12 disposals, six hitouts and three clearances to support Rowan Marshall in the ruck against Sean Darcy and Lloyd Meek."

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Trivia:
The last time we won a game with only 3 goal kickers they were Barry Breen, Allan Davis and …..

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 7:31pm Trivia:
The last time we won a game with only 3 goal kickers they were Barry Breen, Allan Davis and …..
Cowboy?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

This guy wasn’t nearly as big as Cowboy and didn’t play nearly as many games.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 8:50am Following on from Moods post, you can see what they are trying to achieve with chipping around and going backwards or sideways. They are obviously trying to stick to the defensive side of the game plan which absolutely has to be a club in the bag but I think they misread the play yesterday and tried to slow the game down when really the game and Freo were inviting them to keep the tempo up and keep attacking especially in the 4th. They just misread what was on offer.
I like that you mentioned that the ‘chipping around’ option has to be a club in the bag. Our game plan and that manic style is not possible for 30 minutes each quarter and for 4 quarters a game.

I know the fans want to see goals and the fans don’t care if guys have to spew their guts out each quarter but ….have you tried sprinting from one end of the field to the other and doing it repeatedly without a rest for 10 minutes?

Every time the guys in the back half get a chance to give our midfield a rest and the high half forwards a rest is a good thing. People forget the big picture and just look to one game, but it’s a long season. We don’t have a quality midfield that bats as deep as some of the top teams.

As far as ‘what was on offer’…. The only thing on offer was 4 points. I agree that we should have tried playing more attacking footy at the start of the last quarter, but I was happy that we were winding down the clock in the middle of the last.

The only way Freo looked to threaten our lead was from a dubious free kick which put them within 2 goals. Maybe the team didn’t misread anything. Maybe it’s the nervous Saints fans who didn’t have faith and got anxious…which is something that will probably continue through out 2022 and the immediate short term future

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 8:45pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 8:50am Following on from Moods post, you can see what they are trying to achieve with chipping around and going backwards or sideways. They are obviously trying to stick to the defensive side of the game plan which absolutely has to be a club in the bag but I think they misread the play yesterday and tried to slow the game down when really the game and Freo were inviting them to keep the tempo up and keep attacking especially in the 4th. They just misread what was on offer.
I like that you mentioned that the ‘chipping around’ option has to be a club in the bag. Our game plan and that manic style is not possible for 30 minutes each quarter and for 4 quarters a game.

I know the fans want to see goals and the fans don’t care if guys have to spew their guts out each quarter but ….have you tried sprinting from one end of the field to the other and doing it repeatedly without a rest for 10 minutes?

Every time the guys in the back half get a chance to give our midfield a rest and the high half forwards a rest is a good thing. People forget the big picture and just look to one game, but it’s a long season. We don’t have a quality midfield that bats as deep as some of the top teams.

As far as ‘what was on offer’…. The only thing on offer was 4 points. I agree that we should have tried playing more attacking footy at the start of the last quarter, but I was happy that we were winding down the clock in the middle of the last.

The only way Freo looked to threaten our lead was from a dubious free kick which put them within 2 goals. Maybe the team didn’t misread anything. Maybe it’s the nervous Saints fans who didn’t have faith and got anxious…which is something that will probably continue through out 2022 and the immediate short term future
All valid points scollop.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 6:48am
Scollop wrote: Sun 27 Mar 2022 9:15pm

Loved their composure to hold up play and control the ball and take minutes off the clock once we had a handy lead

The Ratten doubters will shut their traps for another week or two
Couldn't disagree more. We played another bottom 8 side yesterday. who were missing key players in Mundy and Fyfe. Our inability to create run and speed on the ball will kill us. This chip chip chippity chip game is outdated and barely played by anyone. Will never win finals as Cats and Eagles have proven in recent years. Once we started playing in that fashion Freo started getting back into the game and I feel gave them confidence in the last quarter. We had a chance to put our foot on their throat and gain real confidence but instead tried to protect a lead basically a quarter out from the finish.

I'm certainly not shutting my mouth about Ratten after that performance. We're not going to lose every week and the boys had a crack, but there was always lurking in the background the same old Saints. s*** goal kicking, slow ball movement, a ridiculous insistence to give the ball to Brad Hill who occasionally sets things up, but also almost as often stuffs things up.
Superb post
No no way am I letting Ratts and co off the hook after beating a depleted Dockers at home and still nearly managing to steal defeat from the jaws of victory
Last qtr was a brain fart - you don’t hang on against good sides for a whole quarter…
I do think we might get a reality check next week (hope I’m wrong) but we smell of a middling 9-15 type side, firmly in no man’s land and without much to drag us up to top 4/elite. Need evidence? Just check our skill level and really ask yourself is Zac Jones (suspect by foot himself) really gonna change that??
Anyway, take the win when we can let’s not lose sight of where we are at

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda’s highest paid players are ….

Most likely Hill and Hannas. Any one have evidence on the contrary

Ratts had nothing to do with Hannas and probably very little to do with the Hill trade and what we gave up

How are they both going? Are they irreplacable?

Enough said

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Hill seems to be copping a lot of flak but he’s out there every week, working really hard, presenting to the play and has had 50+ touches for far this season.

Looks to me like we’re getting a decent return so far

one point
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 8:16pm This guy wasn’t nearly as big as Cowboy and didn’t play nearly as many games.
Stephen Theodore?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 9:58pm Hill seems to be copping a lot of flak but he’s out there every week, working really hard, presenting to the play and has had 50+ touches for far this season.

He’s definitely ‘working really hard’ but believe me ….he’s replaceable

Half of his stats are rubbish. I don’t rate 1-2 give it back loose possessions in the backline. When he breaks the lines and he delivers inside 50 that is where the value lies. He only did that once for the whole game against Freo.

He’s not Petracca, Dusty, Cripps, Bontempelli, Gawn, Tom Lynch, Isaac Heeney or even a key position back like Grimes, McGovern or Steve May

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

one point wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 10:02pm
kosifantutti wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 8:16pm This guy wasn’t nearly as big as Cowboy and didn’t play nearly as many games.
Stephen Theodore?
Getting closer, at least with the name.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

'He’s not Petracca, Dusty, Cripps, Bontempelli, Gawn, Tom Lynch, Isaac Heeney or even a key position back like Grimes, McGovern or Steve May'

That's right, he's a completely different player to all those players and plays in a different position, so why compare him to those guys? Is it the money we're paying him?

There's definitely a posse of posters on here who have their binoculars trained on Brad Hill to capture anything they can see as negative.

The same posters complain about our lack of leg speed. Brad Hill is our quickest player.

They also complain about players not being able to run the lines. Brad Hill does that more than any other St Kilda player

They also complain about our foot skills. Brad Hill is equally the best kick in the team

They complain that we don't take the game on. Brad Hill does

The reality is we need his run and carry, his foot skills, and his speed, and we'd be a worse team without him. Who else is going to run through the middle of the ground and link up to set up or provide delivery into our forward half with such regularity?

People forget how much he gets us out of trouble in the back half because of his blistering speed.

lewdogs
Club Player

I thought Hill was clearly one of our best on Sunday. He shut up the Docker boos that's for sure... They probably lost their voices he had it that much.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 29 Mar 2022 6:42am
one point wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 10:02pm
Stephen Theodore?
Getting closer, at least with the name.
Stephen Rae?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Still close with the name.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 10:05pm
skeptic wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 9:58pm Hill seems to be copping a lot of flak but he’s out there every week, working really hard, presenting to the play and has had 50+ touches for far this season.

He’s definitely ‘working really hard’ but believe me ….he’s replaceable

Half of his stats are rubbish. I don’t rate 1-2 give it back loose possessions in the backline. When he breaks the lines and he delivers inside 50 that is where the value lies. He only did that once for the whole game against Freo.

He’s not Petracca, Dusty, Cripps, Bontempelli, Gawn, Tom Lynch, Isaac Heeney or even a key position back like Grimes, McGovern or Steve May
I do think you’re being somewhat hard

To me, he looks like he’s been close to if not our best player certainly this year but also took it up a notch from about 1/2 through last season.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Got to say it was shocker where we won because the opposition kept handing the ball to us. Our playing style looks like kid's footy.

evo
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 29 Mar 2022 11:08am Still close with the name.
John stephens

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote: Tue 29 Mar 2022 8:20pm
kosifantutti wrote: Tue 29 Mar 2022 11:08am Still close with the name.
John stephens
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1 ... 20422.html

53 goals in 1972.

Why did he finish in 1973?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Tue 29 Mar 2022 6:53am 'He’s not Petracca, Dusty, Cripps, Bontempelli, Gawn, Tom Lynch, Isaac Heeney or even a key position back like Grimes, McGovern or Steve May'

That's right, he's a completely different player to all those players and plays in a different position, so why compare him to those guys? Is it the money we're paying him?

There's definitely a posse of posters on here who have their binoculars trained on Brad Hill to capture anything they can see as negative.

The same posters complain about our lack of leg speed. Brad Hill is our quickest player.

They also complain about players not being able to run the lines. Brad Hill does that more than any other St Kilda player

They also complain about our foot skills. Brad Hill is equally the best kick in the team

They complain that we don't take the game on. Brad Hill does

The reality is we need his run and carry, his foot skills, and his speed, and we'd be a worse team without him. Who else is going to run through the middle of the ground and link up to set up or provide delivery into our forward half with such regularity?

People forget how much he gets us out of trouble in the back half because of his blistering speed.
In 2020 we had Hunter Clark, Ben Long, Nick Coffield, and Ben Paton all playing off half back and doing a really good job. I think they're all still at St Kilda aren't they? We also have Jimmy Webster who is a really good defender and he's in the best form of his career

I will give Hill credit when he deserves it and yes he is doing everything he can to help the side and he's probably a great role model and a good leader as a senior player, but let's not forget that Hill is replaceable. Right now, perhaps Marshall, King and our KP defenders are not replaceable and perhaps a few midfielders in our team are also very hard to replace

Btw, please point out where I have ever 'complained about our lack of leg speed' , 'about taking the game on' or 'about players not being able to run the lines' or 'about our foot skills'?

Name the posters you are alluding to

Gutless post and you know it

And...yes...of course it's the money!! Let's park aside the fact that we gave up a fair bit for him in draft picks, everyone knows that we were squeezed with the TPP and we missed on Treloar or potentially others because of what we agreed to pay Hill

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Fremantle have an excellent defence. Some real stars. Fremantle had an extremely tall full forward set up. Brayshaw played as well as he can. Home ground advantage = 3 goals. Blowing a gale. Won by 10 points should have been at least 16 as free against Hayes towards the end was rubbish. It was a great team/coaching effort highlighted by King and Higgins displaying their rare skills - and Hill. Did we see that pass on the run to King, had to break a tackle, assess options, change his mind then hit him with a perfect bullet pass, still running at top pace. The boys and coaches did all right. Special mention to Joyce, under rated and unlucky we have so many good defenders.