Strategy to bring in another FRDP

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Strategy to bring in another FRDP

SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 9:50am To all the Attack Dogs, the reasons you have stated clearly illustrate why St Kilda has 27 wooden spoons and are the laughing stock of the football general public. Take a good look at how good Hawthorn are at regenerating their list.They have no problem jettosing favourite players if it means the team will be better in the long run FFS. Decades of failure have taught us nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did you know there are more players with premiership medals that started their careers at St Kilda and then got traded to a premiership winning team (eg McEvoy) than there are players who won a premiership medal at St Kilda.

That is sadly true.

In other words , we are very good at giving away good players. We are not great at building great teams.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
SunnyErnie
Club Player

Zed wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 7:03pm
SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 9:50am To all the Attack Dogs, the reasons you have stated clearly illustrate why St Kilda has 27 wooden spoons and are the laughing stock of the football general public. Take a good look at how good Hawthorn are at regenerating their list.They have no problem jettosing favourite players if it means the team will be better in the long run FFS. Decades of failure have taught us nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did you know there are more players with premiership medals that started their careers at St Kilda and then got traded to a premiership winning team (eg McEvoy) than there are players who won a premiership medal at St Kilda.

That is sadly true.

In other words , we are very good at giving away good players. We are not great at building great teams.
This does not mean that the strategy I am suggesting is wrong. What this is telling us is that we have to get better in that space. Specifically list management and talent identification. Surely you can see that Zed??

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

The Saints have already tried off loading quality players for draft picks, ask Bains and Pelchen how that went.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s a flawed strategy at the best of times… during expansion… just plain dumb!!!

But hey, couldn’t hear a word against Pelchen on here at the time!!!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 10:22am A thread drift if I may because it's been playing on my mind:

Anyone seen the latest Bunnings ad with the blonde girl telling us her Dad loves two things: the footy and Bunnings and that her Dad loves it when he can combine his two loves by watching the footy while he does a DYI project around the home.

Now call me crazy but I don't think there would be one bloke in this country that loves nothing more than doing those two things at the same time.

Surely that's a wind up huh?
Either you work for ASIO or Optus or NBN co. Have you been tapping my telcoms?

No…seriously…that’s exactly what I said to my mates when this fuckn stupid Bunnings ad came on.

What are you going to do? Paint the cornices and the window frames while watching a close game?

You can ‘listen’ to the footy and do DIY, but you can’t ‘watch’ footy and work on things. My wife is arguing with me now that women are multi skilled and they can, but I said to her DIY is not exactly like doing a stir fry or ironing a shirt.

What if you’re using power tools or a circular saw? Just saw off your fingers because some girl on a Bunnings ad told you it’s ok to do both!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Hi Helen/CityWest,

How are you going??

I hope you………….

MOD EDIT - poster suspended for 7 days.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 12:17am
Vortex wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 10:22am A thread drift if I may because it's been playing on my mind:

Anyone seen the latest Bunnings ad with the blonde girl telling us her Dad loves two things: the footy and Bunnings and that her Dad loves it when he can combine his two loves by watching the footy while he does a DYI project around the home.

Now call me crazy but I don't think there would be one bloke in this country that loves nothing more than doing those two things at the same time.

No…seriously…that’s exactly what I said to my mates when this fuckn stupid Bunnings ad came on.

What are you going to do? Paint the cornices and the window frames while watching a close game?

You can ‘listen’ to the footy and do DIY, but you can’t ‘watch’ footy and work on things. My wife is arguing with me now that women are multi skilled and they can, but I said to her DIY is not exactly like doing a stir fry or ironing a shirt.

What if you’re using power tools or a circular saw? Just saw off your fingers because some girl on a Bunnings ad told you it’s ok to do both!
Come on Scollop, of course you can do both. The really clever ones can work on their putting stroke whilst painting and watching the footy. I suggest you try and offer to cook a stir fry to enjoy at half time of the footy. It is 2022 afterall.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 7:48am

Come on Scollop, of course you can do both. The really clever ones can work on their putting stroke whilst painting and watching the footy. I suggest you try and offer to cook a stir fry to enjoy at half time of the footy. It is 2022 afterall.
LOL - Continuing another thread that has gone completely off topic

If I am not at the game and it is a close one / thrilling game - my wife wont even ask if I want something to eat - same with Sainter_Boy. If you are in the moment, you cannot focus on anything else!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 7:48am

Don’t worry GL. I’ve got the Mrs covered when it comes to cooking.

The only thing I’d watch on t.v while doing ‘something else’ is probably a drama or a chick flick or maybe (like the song used to say…) the X -Files…Still don’t understand how this group got away with these lyrics on radio airwaves 20+ years ago

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

🤣 a classic!

SunnyErnie
Club Player

What I am trying to illustrate here is that just like we all want St Kilda to play daring and attacking football, the same can be said about List Management. By looking at different ways to increase our hand at the draft is a must. We can't just keep doing what we have been doing for the last 10 years because every other team is doing the same thing. Some better than others.

I know Membrey is a good player but he will be 28 soon. Trading him and for example a 4th round pick in order to snag a mid teens pick, if we can pull that off would be a great win. Firstly it gives Sharman a clear path to becoming entrenched in the seniors and we all want that. Secondly, we have an extra FRDP at our disposal. Yes I know that doesn't guarantee anything and we have stuffed that up in the past with Goddard and Dal and McEvoy but do we want to play it safe or do we want to be daring?

I'll put it a different way. Do we want Ross on the HBF kicking sideways to DMack or do we want Connolly on the HBF drilling a 45 meter pass to Gresham straight up the middle of the ground?

NeXus
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I reckon the hawks don't love seeing Isaac Smith smash sides in pussycat colours.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 2:37pm What I am trying to illustrate here is that just like we all want St Kilda to play daring and attacking football, the same can be said about List Management. By looking at different ways to increase our hand at the draft is a must. We can't just keep doing what we have been doing for the last 10 years because every other team is doing the same thing. Some better than others.

I know Membrey is a good player but he will be 28 soon. Trading him and for example a 4th round pick in order to snag a mid teens pick, if we can pull that off would be a great win. Firstly it gives Sharman a clear path to becoming entrenched in the seniors and we all want that. Secondly, we have an extra FRDP at our disposal. Yes I know that doesn't guarantee anything and we have stuffed that up in the past with Goddard and Dal and McEvoy but do we want to play it safe or do we want to be daring?

I'll put it a different way. Do we want Ross on the HBF kicking sideways to DMack or do we want Connolly on the HBF drilling a 45 meter pass to Gresham straight up the middle of the ground?
When has 28 all of a sudden become old? Membrey is entering his prime.

There’s a difference between being daring and stupid.

If the club attempted your idiotic and reckless idea of trading away one of its best players and leaders, that would be the final straw for me and I would cease to support them.

You seriously have NFI and you are a troll pretending to be someone else.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SunnyErnie
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 5:45pm
SunnyErnie wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 2:37pm What I am trying to illustrate here is that just like we all want St Kilda to play daring and attacking football, the same can be said about List Management. By looking at different ways to increase our hand at the draft is a must. We can't just keep doing what we have been doing for the last 10 years because every other team is doing the same thing. Some better than others.

If the club attempted your idiotic and reckless idea of trading away one of its best players and leaders, that would be the final straw for me and I would cease to support them.

What sort of a supporter ceases to support their team because of on trade?

NeXus
SunnyErnie
Club Player

And just because you don't like my suggestion, who gives you the right to call me a troll. Just place me on your Foe list

NeXus
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 10:27pm

I’m confident that it won’t get to that because the club isn’t so stupid to try and implement your moronic suggestion.

Got any more hair brained and gormless trade ideas for us?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SunnyErnie
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 10 Apr 2022 12:34am
SunnyErnie wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 10:27pm

I’m confident that it won’t get to that because the club isn’t so stupid to try and implement your moronic suggestion.

If you don't agree with my suggestion that's fine. But why do you need to attack the poster just because you don't agree with them?

NeXus
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

It would be interesting to remove all the players 28 or over from the Premiership teams and wonder whether they would have made the GF let alone won it without them. I suspect plenty of teams would be without Premierships.

Time to move on to the next bag of lollies.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Sun 10 Apr 2022 10:29am [

If you don't agree with my suggestion that's fine. But why do you need to attack the poster just because you don't agree with them?
[/quote]

The thing is if a poster keeps putting up puerile, stupid, fanciful scenarios for discussion, then unfortunately some automatically think - however unfair - gee that poster is stupid and/or has a negative agenda.

No matter the poster knows s/he is actually being so artfully devious and sucking readers in, others just see stupid with obvious provocation and tag the poster as stupid and lamely provocative.

Nothing personal.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 10 Apr 2022 11:54am
SunnyErnie wrote: Sun 10 Apr 2022 10:29am [

The thing is if a poster keeps putting up puerile, stupid, fanciful scenarios for discussion, then unfortunately some automatically think - however unfair - gee that poster is stupid and/or has a negative agenda.

No matter the poster knows s/he is actually being so artfully devious and sucking readers in, others just see stupid with obvious provocation and tag the poster as stupid and lamely provocative.

Nothing personal.
[/quote]

You are entitled to your opinion as I am.

I stick by this......

What older player can we trade so we can get another FRDP for this year? Do we have anyone that we can afford to lose plus add a 3rd RDP so we can get a FRDP in return?

I'm just throwing this up as an idea so all you attack dogs hold your horses!!

Membrey will be 28 in a few weeks so could fit the bill. Would our 3rd RDP plus Membrey be enough to get a pick around 15 (late FRDP)? If we could get that sort of return I would do it. This would enable us to play Sharman in Mebrey's spot and then use an extra FRDP as we see fit.

Nothing wrong with the above in my opinion!!

NeXus
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Membrey is a bird in the hand

He’s worth more than an unknown quantity OR 2 in the bush

Capito?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Trade Members? Yeah right.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sun 10 Apr 2022 7:35pm Membrey is a bird in the hand

Capito?
Kapito is spelt with a K.

NeXus
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Tue 12 Apr 2022 2:47am
Scollop wrote: Sun 10 Apr 2022 7:35pm Membrey is a bird in the hand

Capito?
Kapito is spelt with a K.

Really? What meaning do you give the word Kapito?

The origin of the word I was trying to use does not start with a K. I could have also written capiche or capisce instead of capito

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/capisce

B.M
Saintsational Legend

How did those Ruthless Hawks go Sunday?!

Meanwhile Membrey kicked another 4 and flogged Sicily