Ongoing team selection

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Ongoing team selection

The whole team went really well yesterday. Even those players who weren't that visible went well: Wood and Long didn't do a lot with the ball, but Wood laid 6 tackles, and Long was singled out for praise by Ratten after the game for his defensive pressure inside our forward 50. Again NWM played well enough to keep his spot, as did Windhager on debut. Patten and Marshall were a bit below their usual standard, possibly reflecting reports of injuries at training, but their places in the team look secure.

So I reckon we'd be pretty happy if the team that was selected yesterday continued to front up for the rest of the season. But (with Coffield out of the picture until 2023) there are arguably six players who didn't play yesterday who would have strong claims for selection if they were fit and available: Clark, Billings, Jones and Higgins, Geary and Hannebury. Now we know that, in reality, there will be injuries and suspensions and COVID cases and what have your which will probably mean that we won't have any trouble fitting these missing players back into our side. However, it's interesting to think what we might do in the unlikely event that everyone was fit and available.

I believe - brutal decisions though they would be - that I can see spots for the first four of these n the team that ran out yesterday: Clark for Webster, Billings for Wood, Jones for Windhager and Higgins for NWM (with Hill dropping further back: or, alternatively, Long could miss out).

I really can't see an obvious spot for Hannebury right now, even in the unlikely event that he was to be fully fit and in form. I guess we could drop Butler and play Gresham as a small forward, but I don't see that we would gain much from that. So I reckon that, barring significant injury problems to our midfield, he's not really in the picture at all. Geary is a tougher one: I don't think we need him down back any more (barring injury of course), but he can be extremely useful playing as a defensive forward against certain teams. So I think he's still in the mix, but it might not be easy to slot him in.

These problems are nice ones to have after quite a few seasons in the 2012-19 period in which we struggled to get 22 AFL quality players onto the field.

I have written this post simply to stimulate discussion, if anyone has any other thoughts.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ongoing team selection

If we keep playing like we are - big if - some of those guys will have to come back via Sandringham.

Great to have that sort of competition for spots.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Hannas is a quality player. IF fit and playing well they would probably try and squeeze him in, and especially IF we make the finals. But Hannas is a long way off possible selection at present. So at present he is only really a low possibility to get back in.

Higgins will be straight back in.

Billings, Jones and Clark all candidates too once match fit.

Likely that someone will always be out due to injury or suspension.

Hill needs to stay Wing/HFF and so hopefully Ratts is not tempted to put him back at HBF.

So if everyone is fit there will be huge competition for the small forward slots.

Butler is playing very good offensive and defensive football this year. Higgins is class, though needs to sort out his accuracy. Hill as high HFF is going push Long out of the forward line.

Wing also will have lots f competition with Dmac, Wood, Billings and Hill. The young Nasiah will probably get pushed out if all are fit. Wood too may get squeezed out, though has been playing good football this year.

Down back Highmore is waiting his opportunity to get back in the 22. If Webster pulls up sore this week it may be him or Long that gets his spot in the back 6 for the Suns game.

Nasiah, Winghager and Owens
to all get games as opportunities present. We need very much to be thinking about the future.

Sharman is going to find it hard to get back in the 22 at present. He is competing with Membrey, Wood and Hayes for that third forward slot and those three are more versatile that Sharman who at present is a pure forward. If Max misses, it may be his opportunity to get back in.

Hayes to get occasional games as one would doubt that Paddy will play every week.

Marshall looks to be playing sore, and so may benefit with the occasional rotation. Apart from Hayes, that sometimes could be Campbell depending on the opposition rucks.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

No room for Kent?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 9:48am Hill needs to stay Wing/HFF and so hopefully Ratts is not tempted to put him back at HBF.
In his post-match conference, Ratts specifically said that Hill would play HBF again in some future games. I think that's ok against some sides, but would be risky against the sides with better forward defence, who will target him as a weak link when he has the ball.
Hannas is a quality player. IF fit and playing well they would probably try and squeeze him in, and especially IF we make the finals.
Yes, if 1) Hannebury gets fit again, 2) performs ok for the Zebras, and 3)we have some games that don't matter much later in the season because we have consolidated our position in the 8.

But I still think he's a risk, because he's played very few games since 2018, and the pace of football in 2022 is significantly faster than it was then. Our rapid ball movement around the ground is one of our greatest strengths at the moment, and Hannebury could potentially slow us down.

I agree with you about Sharman. He's an ok back up player, but I can't see him forcing himself into the team. If he gets an opportunity through injury, he'll probably go ok. So it's good to know he's there. A bit like Weiderman for the Dees.
Last edited by meher baba on Mon 11 Apr 2022 11:01am, edited 1 time in total.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Winmar7
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 10:10am No room for Kent?
No.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7 wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 11:01am
No.
From what I saw of the Zebras game, he was by no means the worst of our players.

But I think Long in the side and Hill playing further forward mean that there is no need for a player like Kent: indeed, it will be a squeeze fitting Higgins back into the lineup.

- Jonathan Swift
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 11:03am
No.
From what I saw of the Zebras game, he was by no means the worst of our players.

But I think Long in the side and Hill playing further forward mean that there is no need for a player like Kent: indeed, it will be a squeeze fitting Higgins back into the lineup.
You’re not wrong but I would just argue that there simply is no room for a player like Kent.
If we had 22 fit players only and Kent was one of them… I’d rather go in a man down. At least that way no one would try and pass it to him which I’m sure statistically would be the least effective thing you can do to get a positive outcome

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 1:01pm
No.

You’re not wrong but I would just argue that there simply is no room for a player like Kent.
If we had 22 fit players only and Kent was one of them… I’d rather go in a man down. At least that way no one would try and pass it to him which I’m sure statistically would be the least effective thing you can do to get a positive outcome
Haters gonna hate.

Seriously, he’s not quite that bad: he’s played ok for us in some games.

We definitely have had players that bad at our club. I’m too polite to name any.

- Jonathan Swift
bergsone
SS Life Member

A shout out to a couple of guys who are earning their keep ,and making selection a good hard thing.Wood and Lienert given second chances and have been good

stkfc1
Club Player

IMO Jones and Billings come straight back in for NVM and Windy.
Billings to HBF, Hill stays forward. Jones needed in the guts. Centre clearances still a concern for mine. He makes a big difference with speed and grunt work.

Wouldn't mind giving Clark a run in the 2s just to get his form and fitness up. Injuries will happen so just a letter of time he'll get his chance.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Of course they do, ridiculous to think otherwise!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 2:47pm
skeptic wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 1:01pm
No.

Haters gonna hate.

Seriously, he’s not quite that bad: he’s played ok for us in some games.

We definitely have had players that bad at our club. I’m too polite to name any.
Was never the biggest fan but that Collingwood game and last quarter drop lifted me into the rage category

You have much more class than myself and I genuinely salute you for that.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think Kent is an ok fringe/depth player. Definitely not in the best 26 or so though.

Proven players at the level, will get selected as soon as they are match fit

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Agree Mart. Shame as the kids are playing well but you’d imagine as billings Clark and Jones come back nvm, windy and maybe Patton (based on this week) may fall victim. That’s said if we’re still winning they may have to prove their wares in the twos rather than being auto starts which is a good place to be

#1 Ryder fan
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Very happy with our form and team balance tbh

#1 Ryder fan
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

The only changes I would make would be Campbell or Hayes for Ryder if he gets suspended. The pressure Butler, Long, Hill & Windhager managed was elite. Higgins is a good goal kicker, but it would be tough to leave anyone out from Sundays game. Longs forward chase down pressure has been brilliant, plus Windhager can do minutes through the midfield which takes pressure off our mids.

Higgins if fit can replace Byrnes as the sub.

All the remaining returning players eg Jones, Clark, Billings etc can find match fitness through Sandringham. We need to reward form and the players who have the body to consistently turn out every week.

spert
Saintsational Legend

If we keep this level of form, where there are practically no passengers, then those who are coming back from injury or whatever will need to play at that level. Let's see if we can keep it up, as we need pressure on senior positions.

Saints58
Club Player

meher baba wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 8:30am The whole team went really well yesterday. Even those players who weren't that visible went well: Wood and Long didn't do a lot with the ball, but Wood laid 6 tackles, and Long was singled out for praise by Ratten after the game for his defensive pressure inside our forward 50. Again NWM played well enough to keep his spot, as did Windhager on debut. Patten and Marshall were a bit below their usual standard, possibly reflecting reports of injuries at training, but their places in the team look secure.

So I reckon we'd be pretty happy if the team that was selected yesterday continued to front up for the rest of the season. But (with Coffield out of the picture until 2023) there are arguably six players who didn't play yesterday who would have strong claims for selection if they were fit and available: Clark, Billings, Jones and Higgins, Geary and Hannebury. Now we know that, in reality, there will be injuries and suspensions and COVID cases and what have your which will probably mean that we won't have any trouble fitting these missing players back into our side. However, it's interesting to think what we might do in the unlikely event that everyone was fit and available.

I believe - brutal decisions though they would be - that I can see spots for the first four of these n the team that ran out yesterday: Clark for Webster, Billings for Wood, Jones for Windhager and Higgins for NWM (with Hill dropping further back: or, alternatively, Long could miss out).

I really can't see an obvious spot for Hannebury right now, even in the unlikely event that he was to be fully fit and in form. I guess we could drop Butler and play Gresham as a small forward, but I don't see that we would gain much from that. So I reckon that, barring significant injury problems to our midfield, he's not really in the picture at all. Geary is a tougher one: I don't think we need him down back any more (barring injury of course), but he can be extremely useful playing as a defensive forward against certain teams. So I think he's still in the mix, but it might not be easy to slot him in.

These problems are nice ones to have after quite a few seasons in the 2012-19 period in which we struggled to get 22 AFL quality players onto the field.

I have written this post simply to stimulate discussion, if anyone has any other thoughts.
Great post yes I would put in Campbell if paddy is out he is tearing it up in the VFL

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I would make all of those players come back via the twos

I think any injury over 4 weeks - unless it’s an absolute gun should come back via the twos - that’s what the reserves are for.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 7:27pm I would make all of those players come back via the twos

I think any injury over 4 weeks - unless it’s an absolute gun should come back via the twos - that’s what the reserves are for.
I think that's very likely to happen for all of these players (other than Higgins of course), unless we have a significant injury problem in the firsts.

- Jonathan Swift
ace
Saintsational Legend

Plenty of opportunities for Kent .................. at Sandringham.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 6:23pm
meher baba wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 8:30am The whole team went really well yesterday. Even those players who weren't that visible went well: Wood and Long didn't do a lot with the ball, but Wood laid 6 tackles, and Long was singled out for praise by Ratten after the game for his defensive pressure inside our forward 50. Again NWM played well enough to keep his spot, as did Windhager on debut. Patten and Marshall were a bit below their usual standard, possibly reflecting reports of injuries at training, but their places in the team look secure.

Great post yes I would put in Campbell if paddy is out he is tearing it up in the VFL
Paddy OUT, is the reason why both Campbell and Hayes were recruited.
Witts annihilated Carlton in the ruck, 42 hit outs but only 2 marks
Hit outs Gold Coast 52 to Carlton 19
Jarrod Witts is 208
Chol is 200
Ryder only beat 210 Reeves with experience, body positioning and leap.
That's just too much for 194 Hayes to compete effectively.
201 Marshall can not ruck all day and will not beat Witts in the ruck
It has to be Campbell now or never.
He does not need to win, just prevent Witts from having it too easy.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Crossy66
Club Player

ace wrote: Tue 12 Apr 2022 8:59am
Saints58 wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 6:23pm

Paddy OUT, is the reason why both Campbell and Hayes were recruited.
Witts annihilated Carlton in the ruck, 42 hit outs but only 2 marks
Hit outs Gold Coast 52 to Carlton 19
Jarrod Witts is 208
Chol is 200
Ryder only beat 210 Reeves with experience, body positioning and leap.
That's just too much for 194 Hayes to compete effectively.
201 Marshall can not ruck all day and will not beat Witts in the ruck
It has to be Campbell now or never.
He does not need to win, just prevent Witts from having it too easy.
Good posts.
GC's vaunted mid field, I think, has much to do with Witts.
We don't have to win the ruck taps, we just need to make it hard for Witt's to drop it on a dime.
Fwiw, Marshall is less than 100%.
This should be Campbell's moment to shine.
Love what Hayes as shown in his first game, but this is not the right match up for him.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Don't give up on Paddy playing just yet.