Off Field growth over time- ABC article.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Off Field growth over time- ABC article.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-14/ ... /100987862

apart from the discussion the tables that show change over time are most interesting for me in this article.
> the explosion of memberships since 1994- when we only had around 4,000 to now having nearly 54,000, although the Saints have more bounce in their numbers over the years than other teams- Saints fans drop off easily it seems.
'Some clubs diversify their income streams through pokies or public gyms.
But their biggest earner remains charging people to watch their teams play football. Clubs sell tickets and merchandise to their fans, and charge sponsors to promote their products and services."
> the one ladder I would love to see us go lower on is the AFL funding one- although interesting to see that Carlton and Collingwood do get around $15 mill each

> the Saints position on this graph is what the administration of the club have been saying for some years- in trying to get better stadium deal - Fair share
Share of games played in marquee timeslots and average sponsor revenue, 2015-2019.
"There are exceptions, notably in the corporate-friendly cities of Perth and Sydney.

The Eagles take in many millions in corporate funding in resource-rich Western Australia, despite rarely receiving national television exposure.

In the nation's financial hub of Sydney, even the ironically named Giants have found sponsorship dollars relatively easy to come by, out-earning several more widely-watched and supported teams.

By and large, though, it's the usual heavyweights with large fanbases that make the biggest sponsorship deals
."

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Off Field growth over time- ABC article.

As you suggest St Kilda supporters have been inconsistent depending on how we are travelling on field. In the last few years they have consolidated that aspect and now just need some consistent form to start getting marquee games again. The larger clubs have always been advantaged on every front, so the figures in the article are no surprises

SunnyErnie
Club Player

We have made 2 massive blunders that has stifled the growth of the St Kilda football club. And this is not hindsight, I was right there at the AGM and told them this will come back and bite us.

1. Moving our home games to Docklands after VFL Park closed down. Hawthorn were clever and moved their home games to the MCG.
2. Abandoning Tasmania because it was "too hard". Hawthorn were clever and increased their games in Tasmania and made even more money.

We can still fix this by having the balls to tell the AFL to schedule 3 of our big home games at the MCG every year.
I would also try and get NZ back up and running if and when the ground in Auckland is rebuilt.

2 home games in Auckland.
3 home games at the MCG.
6 home games at Docklands.

Do this and we can become as big as Carlton, Hawthorn and Essendon. We would only be second to Collingwood and Richmond as far as Vic clubs go.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Mods

SunnyErnie
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Thu 14 Apr 2022 10:34pmMods
Why are you calling the mods? Is it because you don't like my above post?

NeXus
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Thu 14 Apr 2022 7:45pm We have made 2 massive blunders that has stifled the growth of the St Kilda football club. And this is not hindsight, I was right there at the AGM and told them this will come back and bite us.

1. Moving our home games to Docklands after VFL Park closed down. Hawthorn were clever and moved their home games to the MCG.
2. Abandoning Tasmania because it was "too hard". Hawthorn were clever and increased their games in Tasmania and made even more money.

We can still fix this by having the balls to tell the AFL to schedule 3 of our big home games at the MCG every year.
I would also try and get NZ back up and running if and when the ground in Auckland is rebuilt.

3 home games at the MCG.

Do this and we can become as big as Carlton, Hawthorn and Essendon. We would only be second to Collingwood and Richmond as far as Vic clubs go.
60,000 members, full house attendance at Marvel every home game and 1 game a year at the MCG in the last week of the finals and we will get a lot closer, a lot quicker.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that for years Collingwood was getting more off the AFL than the saints were as well, despite having much higher income from games and percentage of Marque games, also Carlton having one of the lowest revenue if you took out Bruce Matheisons pokie machines out of the equation.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 1:40am
SunnyErnie wrote: Thu 14 Apr 2022 7:45pm We have made 2 massive blunders that has stifled the growth of the St Kilda football club. And this is not hindsight, I was right there at the AGM and told them this will come back and bite us.

3 home games at the MCG.

60,000 members, full house attendance at Marvel every home game and 1 game a year at the MCG in the last week of the finals and we will get a lot closer, a lot quicker.
I agree 100% with the above and we all want that. But how many times have we been able to achieve this? Answer......Never!!!

My plan above will work from day one!!!

NeXus
ace
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 1:03pm

3 home games at the MCG.

I agree 100% with the above and we all want that. But how many times have we been able to achieve this? Answer......Never!!!

Never when playing most matches on Sunday afternoon.
Make that Saturday afternoon and watch the attendances grow.
On a Sunday, St Kilda's does not get big attendances, because their primary role in the AFL is to provide content for the TV rights.
Sponsors want exposure, exposure at the ground, exposure on TV.
Those clubs with most exposure get more cash from sponsors, use that cash to assist performance, then get more exposure.

St Kilda will never recover the costs they, the Bulldogs & North Melbourne paid in ground payments so the AFL could resume ownership of the Docklands stadium.
Collingwood & Richmond paid zero.
But Collnigwood & Richmond through the AFL get to be equal owners of Docklands

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 2:17pm

3 home games at the MCG.

Never when playing most matches on Sunday afternoon.
Make that Saturday afternoon and watch the attendances grow.
On a Sunday, St Kilda's does not get big attendances, because their primary role in the AFL is to provide content for the TV rights.
Sponsors want exposure, exposure at the ground, exposure on TV.
Those clubs with most exposure get more cash from sponsors, use that cash to assist performance, then get more exposure.

St Kilda will never recover the costs they, the Bulldogs & North Melbourne paid in ground payments so the AFL could resume ownership of the Docklands stadium.
Collingwood & Richmond paid zero.
But Collnigwood & Richmond through the AFL get to be equal owners of Docklands
Agree with Ace.

But I thought that St Kilda has more recently negotiated a better deal at Docklands. Unfortunately, I see Sunday twilight games and 16,000 people as being more common.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

3 home games at the MCG.

Unfortunately, no one but you can see it. Most important, the MCG, the whole of NZ and the AFL. We will lament the ignorance for the next 100 years I reckon. You are a genius mate, a visionary and 20 years late, after is has already failed. Who would have thought it.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 2:36pm

3 home games at the MCG.

Unfortunately, no one but you can see it. Most important, the MCG, the whole of NZ and the AFL. We will lament the ignorance for the next 100 years I reckon. You are a genius mate, a visionary and 20 years late, after is has already failed. Who would have thought it.
No need to be a smartarse. We don't have any marquee games so ANZAC day game in NZ is the next best thing. Once Auckland is rebuilt whenever that happens. And I am not a visionary as you put it. Never claimed to be one. I'm just reminding everyone that there are ways that we can grow the club but we must have the balls to be brave enough to do it. If we just continue on the same path we will be forever at the mercy of the AFL.

NeXus
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 3:02pm

3 home games at the MCG.

No need to be a smartarse. We don't have any marquee games so ANZAC day game in NZ is the next best thing. Once Auckland is rebuilt whenever that happens. And I am not a visionary as you put it. Never claimed to be one. I'm just reminding everyone that there are ways that we can grow the club but we must have the balls to be brave enough to do it. If we just continue on the same path we will be forever at the mercy of the AFL.
You've been reported Sunny. You need a rest.
You point out the problems with your own post and have no plan at all.
You just bust out ramblings from your visions and can only respond to abuse. I give you praise for your efforts, as misguided as most of us think they are and you get abusive. Didn't you like my reply?

SunnyErnie
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 3:21pm

3 home games at the MCG.

You just bust out ramblings from your visions and can only respond to abuse. I give you praise for your efforts, as misguided as most of us think they are and you get abusive. Didn't you like my reply?
No I didn't like your sarcastic reply

NeXus
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 3:41pm

3 home games at the MCG.

Didn't you think it was relevant to you plan though?
If you understand that your plan is flawed, and has previously failed, then my sarcasm, as you perceived it, was necessary, wouldn't you think?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Three things:

1. Kiwis don't like Aussies.
2. They like , in this order, Rugby Union, Cricket and Rugby League.
3. Kiwis don't like Aussie rules and don't play it.

Besides its too far for me to travel to watch a game of footy once a year, let alone three f****** times.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 3:44pm

3 home games at the MCG.

If you understand that your plan is flawed, and has previously failed, then my sarcasm, as you perceived it, was necessary, wouldn't you think?
It failed because we played in Wellington. Once the ground in Auckland is redeveloped it will be a much better outcome. Especially if we market the game properly by doing our pre-season camp in NZ and also playing one pre-season game there. The opportunities are endless if we do it right.

NeXus
AuckSaint
Club Player

Re: Off Field growth over time- ABC article

SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 3:59pm

3 home games at the MCG.

It failed because we played in Wellington. Once the ground in Auckland is redeveloped it will be a much better outcome. Especially if we market the game properly by doing our pre-season camp in NZ and also playing one pre-season game there. The opportunities are endless if we do it right.

5 years have passed since the Western Springs redevelopment was first raised in NZ. It was slammed down by the mayor due to lack of council funds and resistance of Speedway to move ( a key part of the redevelopment).

2022 and nothing has changed. Council still has no money, the major is still the same guy, and the speedway is still there…suggest it’s a long time before this moves. Not saying it won’t happen but it won’t happen soon.

1 of the 10,000 NZ Saints members
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

3 home games at the MCG.

Sure, I'll play along. What will having the pre-season camp and a practice match achieve.
Even though I expect that you'll tell me Australian companies will want exposure in NZ through sponsorship or vice versa, I'll wait to see if you have a sensible answer.
What would the bloke you want making decisions at St.Kilda again, GT, think of your proposal, I'm guessing he would ignore your emails too. No one here thinks it's a good idea, are you seeing the trend here.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Re: Off Field growth over time- ABC article

AuckSaint wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 4:29pm

3 home games at the MCG.

5 years have passed since the Western Springs redevelopment was first raised in NZ. It was slammed down by the mayor due to lack of council funds and resistance of Speedway to move ( a key part of the redevelopment).

2022 and nothing has changed. Council still has no money, the major is still the same guy, and the speedway is still there…suggest it’s a long time before this moves. Not saying it won’t happen but it won’t happen soon.
That's a shame. Do you know if St Kilda are playing any role in NZ AFL? Or have they abandoned it completely just like we did Tasmania?

NeXus
SunnyErnie
Club Player

3 home games at the MCG.

You have also been reported for your sarcastic posting. You need a rest.

NeXus
AuckSaint
Club Player

On AFL NZ Website St Kilda are a sponsor…have no idea of what that means. But in a good omen for tomorrow the most recent local round scores were:

Round 7

Game 1: Goals: Behinds: Total:
Southern Saints. 20 18 138
Nothern Suns. 2 5 17

1 of the 10,000 NZ Saints members
ace
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Thu 14 Apr 2022 11:22pm
The Fireman wrote: Thu 14 Apr 2022 10:34pmMods
Why are you calling the mods? Is it because you don't like my above post?
Because it is a waste of time to call the police or the ambulance, they rarely come.
He can't call the fire brigade because you are The Fireman.
That leaves the Mods

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
SunnyErnie
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 3:48pm Three things:

1. Kiwis don't like Aussies.
2. They like , in this order, Rugby Union, Cricket and Rugby League.
3. Kiwis don't like Aussie rules and don't play it.

Besides its too far for me to travel to watch a game of footy once a year, let alone three f****** times.
Back when we were playing in NZ on ANZAC day I met a guy who had just migrated over from NZ. I asked him if he had been to watch an AFL game yet. He said no BUT HE BARRACKED FOR ST KILDA BECAUSE WE HAD BEEN PLAYING GAMES IN NZ. Here is a great example of what can happen and how we can grow our brand.

NeXus
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Might I suggest…
I’ve been called out a few times on this forum in the past for being repetitive and obsessive in my posting.

Can’t say I liked it at the times, but after a certain while when one consistently gets the same feedback… at some point not listening becomes you’re own issue.

SE, you obviously like this forum, want to post ideas and have discussions.

These are great qualities.

From what I see however, this iteration of u is starting to run into similar pitfalls as previous iterations:
* posting the same ideas (NZ/Tassie, trading established players for picks, coaches)
* getting frustrated with forumites that get frustrated with you

I hate to see you band again because a different take on things is pretty refreshing IMO…
But the consistent feedback you’re getting from a lot of different forumites is overwhelming.

Personally I’d play ball