North should be stripped of the Good Friday clash and St Kilda reinstated!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SunnyErnie
Club Player

North should be stripped of the Good Friday clash and St Kilda reinstated!!!!

Good Friday can become our first marquee game.

Thoughts?

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: North should be stripped of the Good Friday clash and St Kilda reinstated!!!!

Historically we’ve not done so well in the marquee games ourselves

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: North should be stripped of the Good Friday clash and St Kilda reinstated!!!!

That we were dog awful when we got the gig!

- Friday Night
- Marquee
- Saturday Night
- Milestone games
- Memorial Games

Please ALWAYS tip against us - it was thus in the 90's - it will be thus in the 30's - Same as it ever was.

If you need reminding - 2018 -
ABC News wrote: North Melbourne beats St Kilda by 52 points in Good Friday match at Docklands - Ben Brown kicks six
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-30/ ... ay/9602844

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 8:17pm That we were dog awful when we got the gig!

- Friday Night
- Marquee
- Saturday Night
- Milestone games
- Memorial Games

Please ALWAYS tip against us - it was thus in the 90's - it will be thus in the 30's - Same as it ever was.

ABC News wrote: North Melbourne beats St Kilda by 52 points in Good Friday match at Docklands - Ben Brown kicks six
I would appreciate it if that particular nightmare was never brought up again :lol:
Short of the grand finals, that was hands done the most nightmare’ish game I’ve ever been to. Absolutely painful to sit through.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 8:25pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 8:17pm That we were dog awful when we got the gig!

- Friday Night
- Marquee
- Saturday Night
- Milestone games
- Memorial Games

I would appreciate it if that particular nightmare was never brought up again :lol:
Short of the grand finals, that was hands done the most nightmare’ish game I’ve ever been to. Absolutely painful to sit through.
You must be young if that is your worst nightmare

Something, Something
New Zealand
China
Marquee Games
Memorial Games
Milestone Games
Must Win Games

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
SunnyErnie
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 8:30pm

- Friday Night
- Marquee
- Saturday Night
- Milestone games
- Memorial Games

Something, Something
New Zealand
China
Marquee Games
Memorial Games
Milestone Games
Must Win Games
Why harp on the past? We are better than that now!!!

NeXus
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

With two games every Good Friday now, it hardly becomes a special fixture, especially as it's an extra long weekend and most people see Good Friday as no more special than Easter Saturday, Sunday, or Monday. It just becomes part of the regular fixture, particularly with all these Thursday night games being played.

Good Friday was the holy grail of fixturing, but now that it's here it's basically "Meh"

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 8:30pm You must be young if that is your worst nightmare

Something, Something
New Zealand
China
Marquee Games
Memorial Games
Milestone Games
Must Win Games
SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 10:51pm

LOLOLOL - My young Padawan - as I note that you have been with our esteemed social group less than a month I can see how you think some of those games are 'past'

However -
do you not remember the insipid performance in Warnes Memorial game Round 1 this year
do you not remember the insipid performance in Spuds Memorial game Round 2 last year

And do not tell me they were close ones - the scoreline flattered us - we did not turn up to play on those important games.
- And I also hate the 'do it for ....' mentality - but we have a habit of being like deers in the spotlight - and you are asking for a rather large spotlight - at the moment Sat morning and Sunday afternoon seems to suit us in it's non-descriptness

So whilst I think we are performing as a unit SO MUCH better than we have in recent memory - I think there is still a way to go before we become 'the hunted'.

― Aristophanes

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Which early season loss broke your heart more
The above mentioned Good Friday loss to north Melbourne or
Essendon early 2021?
I remember sitting down to watch both of them expecting us to towel them up but not to be
I think the Essendon one got me the most.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 16 Apr 2022 8:14am
Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 8:30pm You must be young if that is your worst nightmare

Something, Something
New Zealand
China
Marquee Games
Memorial Games
Milestone Games
Must Win Games

LOLOLOL - My young Padawan - as I note that you have been with our esteemed social group less than a month I can see how you think some of those games are 'past'

However -
do you not remember the insipid performance in Warnes Memorial game Round 1 this year
do you not remember the insipid performance in Spuds Memorial game Round 2 last year

And do not tell me they were close ones - the scoreline flattered us - we did not turn up to play on those important games.
- And I also hate the 'do it for ....' mentality - but we have a habit of being like deers in the spotlight - and you are asking for a rather large spotlight - at the moment Sat morning and Sunday afternoon seems to suit us in it's non-descriptness

So whilst I think we are performing as a unit SO MUCH better than we have in recent memory - I think there is still a way to go before we become 'the hunted'.
No better way to wipe away past failings than to get back on the horse and prove to everyone that we are a great team now. You are a defeatist if I have ever seen one.
LOLOLOL as you put it.

NeXus
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I can take it back even further:
we were playing a marquee fixture against Richmind in Sydney in 1980. We drew with them earlier in the year at the MCG so hopes were high that the game would be an even contest.
We lost by 26 goals and Richmond amassed a ascore of 222 points.

And we have continued this trend for 42 years. We simply just don;t turn up. Not good enough. I actually thought the axe should have been swung after the China match in 2019 to send a very clear message, but it wasn't. Completely unacceptable. Our preparationn for these games is notoriously below par.

There is no way we can expect to be rewarded with another chance at the Good Friday game ever again, and nor should we be, in my opinion. Didn't turn up when we had the chance.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 15 Apr 2022 8:30pm

- Friday Night
- Marquee
- Saturday Night
- Milestone games
- Memorial Games

Something, Something
New Zealand
China
Marquee Games
Memorial Games
Milestone Games
Must Win Games
Last year against the Crows in Cairns? We were pretty bad that night. Same problem - we didn't turn up.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

My very religious C of E grandmother would turn in her grave if she knew we were playing football on the most special of all Christian days. She would say that nothing good would come of it. Something the Roos are now finding out.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Harping back to matches played nearly 50 years is comical. I think a lot of posters on here have been scarred beyond repair. If St Kilda had the mentality of some of our posters they would have shut shop back in the 1970's. Posters who claim that we don't deserve marquee games because we have failed in the past need to take a good long hard look at themselves. If something doesn't work initially (especially in football but in life in general as well), you don't just throw your arms up in the air and give up. You bloody well embrace the challenge and make it work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NeXus
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 16 Apr 2022 10:44am My very religious C of E grandmother would turn in her grave if she knew we were playing football on the most special of all Christian days. She would say that nothing good would come of it. Something the Roos are now finding out.
It's funny though (and I think you and I have debated this before), in quite a few Christian countries in the world Good Friday isn't considered to have started until midnight. I was in Italy for Good Friday some years back and it seemed to be just a normal working day like any other: certainly in the private sector (it's possible public servants had the day off, as is not infrequent in Italy). But Easter Saturday, Sunday and Monday were all very quiet indeed.

Anyway, I don't think a Good Friday game has much in it for us. The games played on that day always seem to be rather subdued in atmosphere. I dream of our club becoming consistently successful, and then we'll be in a position to create our own tradition of blockbuster clashes.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Sat 16 Apr 2022 12:07pm Harping back to matches played nearly 50 years is comical. I think a lot of posters on here have been scarred beyond repair. If St Kilda had the mentality of some of our posters they would have shut shop back in the 1970's. Posters who claim that we don't deserve marquee games because we have failed in the past need to take a good long hard look at themselves. If something doesn't work initially (especially in football but in life in general as well), you don't just throw your arms up in the air and give up. You bloody well embrace the challenge and make it work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Really - and that would be harking back - as in taking note of an earlier event

I was standing in the rain at Moorabbin when a win was when we got to pick which end we kicked to.

Yet some of us seem to have more respect for the players than someone suggesting trading Membrey

Oh and how often have you seen St Kilda 'knuckle down' and put in the hard yards???

I love this club and will be there today yelling my guts out - 1st Level 2nd row

Where will you be?

― Aristophanes

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 16 Apr 2022 12:31pm
SunnyErnie wrote: Sat 16 Apr 2022 12:07pm Harping back to matches played nearly 50 years is comical. I think a lot of posters on here have been scarred beyond repair. If St Kilda had the mentality of some of our posters they would have shut shop back in the 1970's. Posters who claim that we don't deserve marquee games because we have failed in the past need to take a good long hard look at themselves. If something doesn't work initially (especially in football but in life in general as well), you don't just throw your arms up in the air and give up. You bloody well embrace the challenge and make it work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was standing in the rain at Moorabbin when a win was when we got to pick which end we kicked to.

Yet some of us seem to have more respect for the players than someone suggesting trading Membrey

Oh and how often have you seen St Kilda 'knuckle down' and put in the hard yards???

I love this club and will be there today yelling my guts out - 1st Level 2nd row

Where will you be?
:wink:

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 16 Apr 2022 10:31am I can take it back even further:
we were playing a marquee fixture against Richmind in Sydney in 1980. We drew with them earlier in the year at the MCG so hopes were high that the game would be an even contest.
We lost by 26 goals and Richmond amassed a ascore of 222 points.
I was there, at the MCG draw. (With 3 Richmond mates)
I think Mick Malthouse played for them.
High hopes for the season.

On Marquee games and oddball fixtures…
I think we do suffer a little more. Why? I’m don’t know…Are we just not well enough equipped? Interstate teams travel for a living. And they recruit players who are like foreign legionnaires.
In thes fixtures, are always the pauper in the plan..
Hawthorn in Tassie is an interesting one. Plp say Launceston is a fortress for them. Their own lil Kardinia Park. I wonder.
They do have predictability and rhythm. We are told what to do. Like reactive, China, Tassie New Zealand…

I think they would suit a team like Sydney. But Sydney have a nice fixture and are safely home in Sydney.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The silence - it is deafening

― Aristophanes

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

How did the Eagles go in Jamie Cripps’ 200th?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sat 16 Apr 2022 4:05pm How did the Eagles go in Jamie Cripps’ 200th?
How do they go in other milestone games - WCE are bunnies atm - we put in poor efforts even when we are traveling well

― Aristophanes

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sat 16 Apr 2022 4:05pm How did the Eagles go in Jamie Cripps’ 200th?
How do they go in other milestone games - WCE are bunnies atm - we put in poor efforts even when we are traveling well

― Aristophanes

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

They were beaten in Harvey’s 350th.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Crap thread

SunnyErnie
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 16 Apr 2022 1:34pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 16 Apr 2022 12:31pm

Where will you be?
:wink:
:mrgreen:

NeXus