Umpiring

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Umpiring

Isn't this "chicken or the egg" stuff? What came first, Schneider facetiously clapping an umpire OR a series of incorrect / poor umpire decisions?

I think an umpire clapping a point kicked by Schneider would have been funnier than treating him as persona non grata. Maybe that's just me & in the spirit of the alleged action.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Scollop,
Fundamentally I'm not disagreeing with your pov.
I'm just saying that there are instances where issues other than the 'correct decision/interpretation' are at play in an umpire(s) particular decision.
To blindly dismiss any/all concerns over incorrect decisions as a 'lack of respect for umpires is, IMHO, just wrong.
If a player makes a mistake egregious enough, the coach has the ability to remove him from the playing field and talk to him.
If an umpire makes a mistake there is not only no remedy but now there is no opportunity to actually question the right/wrong of that decision. (I'm not talking about going off your head at the umpire)

We all know that umpires make mistakes. Why is it impossible to have a system whereby those mistakes can be questioned?
Why are the Hawkins and King hands in the back non-decisions allowed to stand unquestioned?
Why is the Lienert deliberate out of bounds unable to be questioned?
Why is the Breust 'leading with his head' free kick unable to be questioned?
If the decisions are allowed to stand without any comment then the umpires will continue to make similar incorrect calls during the game.
Pointing it out to the umpires after the game is not a remedy for mistakes during the game.
It is akin to shutting the gate after the horse has bolted.

The Craw
Club Player

So what happens if a player throws his arms up at a non decision .... ie a ball up when they think it is holding the ball ... does that me it will be a free kick against ??

Not Craw, CRAW!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 22 Apr 2022 4:34pm Isn't this "chicken or the egg" stuff? What came first, Schneider facetiously clapping an umpire OR a series of incorrect / poor umpire decisions?

I think an umpire clapping a point kicked by Schneider would have been funnier than treating him as persona non grata. Maybe that's just me & in the spirit of the alleged action.
Possible cost us a grannie and really indefensible on the part of the maggot not to pay a blatant free.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Fri 22 Apr 2022 4:35pm Scollop,
I'm just saying that there are instances where issues other than the 'correct decision/interpretation' are at play in an umpire(s) particular decision.
To blindly dismiss any/all concerns over incorrect decisions as a 'lack of respect for umpires is, IMHO, just wrong.
If a player makes a mistake egregious enough, the coach has the ability to remove him from the playing field and talk to him.
If an umpire makes a mistake there is not only no remedy but now there is no opportunity to actually question the right/wrong of that decision. (I'm not talking about going off your head at the umpire)

We all know that umpires make mistakes. Why is it impossible to have a system whereby those mistakes can be questioned?
Why are the Hawkins and King hands in the back non-decisions allowed to stand unquestioned?
If the decisions are allowed to stand without any comment then the umpires will continue to make similar incorrect calls during the game.
Pointing it out to the umpires after the game is not a remedy for mistakes during the game.
Hear, hear, the voice of reason.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Fri 22 Apr 2022 4:35pm
Is that what this thread was about :shock:

Sorry. I stuffed up

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Actually that’s what I understood the original op was about.
My apologies for thinking you might be interested in an alternate viewpoint to your own.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I've always thought it's a far better game when the players simply accept the deisions of the umpires and move on.

Schneider was always a pain in the butt: as were the entire Swans side in the era in which he played there and from whom he learnt his bad habits. The Swans players used to stir up their fans and try to intimidate the umps into awarding frees that were never there.

Yes, the umpires are far from perfect, but players who try to intimidate them will only make things worse. That's why I keep banging on about how I would prefer the umpires to have as distant a relationship with the players as possible: none of the stupid banter and use of nicknames that sometimes gets picked up on the mikes. It should be "black team" and "red team" (or whatever) and the use of the numbers on the players' backs: that's the main reason that the numbers are there FFS!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 22 Apr 2022 5:01pm
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 22 Apr 2022 4:34pm Isn't this "chicken or the egg" stuff? What came first, Schneider facetiously clapping an umpire OR a series of incorrect / poor umpire decisions?

Possible cost us a grannie and really indefensible on the part of the maggot not to pay a blatant free.
More abuse.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Richmond won three premierships while near or at the very bottom of the ‘free kick ladder’.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

AFL needs to make Umpires full time employees. They need to live AFL umpiring. It’s the only solution.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote: Fri 22 Apr 2022 7:40pm AFL needs to make Umpires full time employees. They need to live AFL umpiring. It’s the only solution.
Yep. And I didn’t mind a small part of Eddie’s plan, umpires should be split into different crews / teams. I think it would lead to more accountability and more consistency.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 22 Apr 2022 5:02pm

What I object to is that there are clear mistakes - but the AFL comes out and says 'Nothing to see here - we got all of our decisions right' Bull-tish

It does not have to be adversarial - just needs to be open to discussion - after the event.
Sunday Football used to have a segment like "What's the decision?" or something like that

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 22 Apr 2022 7:43pm
IluvHarvey wrote: Fri 22 Apr 2022 7:40pm AFL needs to make Umpires full time employees. They need to live AFL umpiring. It’s the only solution.
Yep. And I didn’t mind a small part of Eddie’s plan, umpires should be split into different crews / teams. I think it would lead to more accountability and more consistency.
I think they are teams of 3 at the moment

PS - Leigh Fisher should NEVER have umpired a single St Kilda game - EVER - the optics are wrong

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Two horrendous calls tonight both resulted in GWS goals.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Leigh Fisher should NEVER have umpired a single St Kilda game - EVER - the optics are wrong

― Aristophanes

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teams??? Crews??? of umpires...to me that's smoke & mirrors. It's a bullsh!t idea that does not address the problem with the game. That problem is the rules & how malleable they are with interpretation and how they are valued in terms of the game's fabric. It is not the umpires, it is not the players, it is the rules and the game's supposed custodians.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 22 Apr 2022 11:55pm

PS - Leigh Fisher should NEVER have umpired a single St Kilda game - EVER - the optics are wrong
Do they stay together all season?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 23 Apr 2022 12:01am Teams??? Crews??? of umpires...to me that's smoke & mirrors. It's a bullsh!t idea that does not address the problem with the game. That problem is the rules & how malleable they are with interpretation and how they are valued in terms of the game's fabric. It is not the umpires, it is not the players, it is the rules and the game's supposed custodians.
The rules and the umpires are 2 different issues.

What’s saying you can’t try improve both?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 23 Apr 2022 12:04am
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 23 Apr 2022 12:01am Teams??? Crews??? of umpires...to me that's smoke & mirrors. It's a bullsh!t idea that does not address the problem with the game. That problem is the rules & how malleable they are with interpretation and how they are valued in terms of the game's fabric. It is not the umpires, it is not the players, it is the rules and the game's supposed custodians.
The rules and the umpires are 2 different issues.

What’s saying you can’t try improve both?
No point in improving one without the other. The rules are the key. The other will follow.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Players, coaches, commentators and fans need to learn, adapt and accept the new rules re umpire dissent.

The rule is here to stay, time to cope with it. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully the umps refuse to pay them except when properly abused .... just to stick it up Dean Gordon "Cheese" Pritchard's fat arse

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 23 Apr 2022 12:03am
Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 22 Apr 2022 11:55pm

Do they stay together all season?
I think they do (groups that are often together) this year are:

17 - John Howorth; and
23 - Robert Findlay

2 - Nick Foot;
12 - Andrew Stephens; and
19 - Alex Whetton

20 - Jamie Broadbent; and
26 - Craig Fleer

8 - Brett Rosebury;
14 - Hayden Gavine; and
22 - Nathan Williamson

1 - Chris Donlon; and
31 - Paul Rebeschini

Ray seems to get the pick of games HE wants to do

The others seem to slot into wherever

Source:
https://aflua.com.au/umpire-appointments/

― Aristophanes

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 22 Apr 2022 11:53pm
saynta wrote: Fri 22 Apr 2022 5:02pm

What I object to is that there are clear mistakes - but the AFL comes out and says 'Nothing to see here - we got all of our decisions right' Bull-tish

It does not have to be adversarial - just needs to be open to discussion - after the event.
Sunday Football used to have a segment like "What's the decision?" or something like that
Jimmy Bartel, GWS Board Member, just stated (unprompted) on 3AW that the McKenzie decision was a mistake.
Part of a general discussion about the new rule and its interpretation.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Fri 22 Apr 2022 11:56pm Two horrendous calls tonight both resulted in GWS goals.
Yep. Prior opportunity? What utter bulls***. :roll: