Kent goes big

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Kent goes big

Cordz2
Club Player

Re: Kent goes big

I’d call that small to medium.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I suspect that along with Geary that this will be Kent's last season at the Saints.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
repta
Club Player

yes should be the last.
however will be dependant on others coming through and what we gain at next years draft.

Will be useful this year. Useful player. Will never star. Just play a role.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 6:04pm yes should be the last.
however will be dependant on others coming through and what we gain at next years draft.

Don't agree he's a useful player. Very lucky to be on the list. Certainly hope it's his last year.

wally
Club Player

The only time I will back selecting Kent is if due to Covid we are missing 15 players

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I am not into hoping/wishing/ praying/ speculating or agitating for ending a saints' player's career.

Poor form IMHFO and I would not have posted the video if I thought it was going to elicit this sort of crappy comment.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

I don't think it's poor form to say he's not a useful player. He's bobbed up for a few highlights here and there, but he's had loads of opportunities where he's mostly been under par. He's not clean with the footy and that is something our current team have got much much better with.
I wish him well and if he can prove me wrong, then awesome. But on the available evidence to date, he's not up to scratch and is back up that I hope we don't have to call on.
Him, Geary, Hannebery would be head of the queue for leaving at the end of this year.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 6:06pm
repta wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 6:04pm yes should be the last.

Don't agree he's a useful player. Very lucky to be on the list. Certainly hope it's his last year.
Yep, he was pretty ordinary last year. Played only one decent game, which was in the last round of the season, from memory. Sadly, it doesn’t look like he really has improved since.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I have never seen Dean squib or not try. He has kept his side of the bargain. Higher paid individuals cannot say the same.

Of course he won't get another contract but he is genuine and put his body on the line for the Saints.

No need to put the boot in?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 6:49pm I don't think it's poor form to say he's not a useful player. He's bobbed up for a few highlights here and there, but he's had loads of opportunities where he's mostly been under par. He's not clean with the footy and that is something our current team have got much much better with.
I wish him well and if he can prove me wrong, then awesome. But on the available evidence to date, he's not up to scratch and is back up that I hope we don't have to call on.
Him, Geary, Hannebery would be head of the queue for leaving at the end of this year.
It’s better to be a realist as opposed to prioritising portraying yourself as a good little supporter that only sinks the boots in after the club pulls the trigger.

I noticed a lot of support for Kent’s selection in rd1 and a lot of quiet likes to the posts expressing they’re fed up with his performance thereafter. Noticed the same thing with Dunstan last year... unwavering support then after he was dropped late in the season, gentle steps towards criticism all along.

Good to call it as you see it based in the evidence in front of you

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 8:29pm I have never seen Dean squib or not try. He has kept his side of the bargain. Higher paid individuals cannot say the same.

Of course he won't get another contract but he is genuine and put his body on the line for the Saints.

No need to put the boot in?
How is it putting the boot in? It’s not a personal attack. He’s an AFL footballer and they’re all going to be assessed by supporters. I’m sure he’s a great guy and he’s played 60 or 70 AFL games. That makes him a hell of an athlete and a footballer way way better than most. But I’m not assessing how nice a guy he is or how hard he tries.
On the available evidence I’ve seen - i.e watching him play - he tries hard but fails to influence games. He goes missing for quarters at a time and fumbles and makes crucial handling and disposal errors. And he does it for games in a row. What’s wrong with saying so?
Kudos to him for the career he’s managed to carve out - but IMO he shouldn’t be on our list this year, let alone next year.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I still believe Kent's ability to get the ball and shots on goal is ok. Had he converted as well at St.Kilda as he did at Melbourne, he'd be playing and we'd be better. But this run of atrocious kicking performances, needs to be ended,one way or another.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

" hope it's his last year."

Only back selecting Kent if we lose 15 players.

Not bootish?

Small elbow to the ribs, then perhaps.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Good as a Membrey decoy, even if it only works on the commentators.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 9:09pm " hope it's his last year."

Only back selecting Kent if we lose 15 players.

Not bootish?

Small elbow to the ribs, then perhaps.
Clearly, there are some of us who believe he’s not up to scratch as an AFL player. Prove your doubters wrong Dean. Be happy to eat some humble pie if he can make us a better team.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

He got paid very good money to perform as an average AFL player. He was our last player from last year's list to be signed. I imagine, not on the same coin, to be our depth small forward. He obviously put in a big pre season and ultimately benefited from injuries / personal reasons before the club made the decision to show faith in NWM & Windhager.

The club has made the right call and I believe Kent to be professional to keep training hard, without making noise, should he be needed in a "break glass" situation.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

He's kicked 28.25 in 36 games for the Saints but that doesn't count his on the fulls. I always thought his goal kicking was terrible especially when we needed a goal. His endeavour is there but not sure about the rest.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Kent has been bloody good value for a guy secured with a 4th round pick.

The challenge is any team where Kent is a best 22 player is very likely to be a regular bottom 4 team.

He was a fringe player at an ordinary Melbourne and is now depth at St Kilda which is where he should be. Kent is not AFL standard consistently IMO, but can have an impact when he plays. Could be a handy medical sub in the right situation.

Has fallen to fan expectation a bit, perhaps some thought he’d go from fringe player to gun, but I’d guess the club would be very pleased with his output since crossing over.

Has been much better value than another higher profile left footer we recruited. 😄

Popular clubman and seems a good guy around the place.
Has done well to get 10 seasons in the AFL system.

No problem with retaining him if he is on minimum wage as depth if the list demographic means we need a couple of senior experienced back ups to help guide the recruits at Sandi.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Anyone think he might get picked this week?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Handy depth, that's about it at this stage (which is a good thing)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 27 Apr 2022 10:12am

No problem with retaining him if he is on minimum wage as depth if the list demographic means we need a couple of senior experienced back ups to help guide the recruits at Sandi.

The problem is that as our age profile has gotten younger that there are very few players on our list who are either not:
* AFL Standard
* Till have potential to get better.

With the mid-season draft we will add a player or two, and then at seasons end will also want to bring in kids or players from other clubs.

So if you keep Kent, it would mean for example letting go say Byrnes or Bytel go instead to fit in a newbie.

Geary will go.
Hannas you would imagine will go.
Paddy may go. He appears still capable of playing on

Joyce. Depth as a key defender. We may line up a better option, including someone who would be best 22.
Campbell. Is there for ruck depth. We may line up a better younger option. Plus Heath will be a year older

Lienert has shown enough to earn another year.
Hayes showed enough to be extended.
Allison has a contract to 2024. Not sure why......but it means despite his current form that he will be at the club in 2023.

Wood has been a solid team player. He may get squeezed out if we have no injuries but for mine is a much better choice to keep as a depth player than Kent.

Ben Long has also improved this year, and Long in particular due to where he can play has pushed Kent down the pecking order.

So given our current list there are not a lot of obvious candidates to make way for new blood.

As the draft order currently stands we have picks: 14, 32, 50, 86, 104

So you would expect that we will take at least 3 in the draft. Plus possibly changes in our rookies. You would also imagine that the club will be targeting an experienced player or two from other clubs.

So given the above, I would tend to think that unless Kent suddenly improves that he will likely be in the group not to be at the club next year.

D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 27 Apr 2022 10:12am

we need a couple of senior experienced back ups to help guide the recruits at Sandi.
While true, this can also be done by such players being on Dandies list, rather than on a St Kilda list.

Indeed this is what most of the other clubs do that the Saints have not done enough with Sandi. ie That there be a solid core of good VFL regulars.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

He makes for an excellent Jane, when you require a Tarzan but plays for Cheetahs wage.
Perhaps he isn't a carpenter.
Hey hang on, did we swap Dunstan for Kent on a time-share arrangement?

darylcowie
Club Player

:D
Otiman wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 9:13pm Good as a Membrey decoy, even if it only works on the commentators.

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 27 Apr 2022 10:12am Kent has been bloody good value for a guy secured with a 4th round pick.

The challenge is any team where Kent is a best 22 player is very likely to be a regular bottom 4 team.

He was a fringe player at an ordinary Melbourne and is now depth at St Kilda which is where he should be. Kent is not AFL standard consistently IMO, but can have an impact when he plays. Could be a handy medical sub in the right situation.

Has fallen to fan expectation a bit, perhaps some thought he’d go from fringe player to gun, but I’d guess the club would be very pleased with his output since crossing over.

Has been much better value than another higher profile left footer we recruited. 😄

Popular clubman and seems a good guy around the place.
Has done well to get 10 seasons in the AFL system.

Sorry D.B, but nope, nope and nope.
He hasn't been bloody good value. He's played the occasional decent game - never dominated - amidst a sea of rubbish performances, his round 1 performance this year for example. Why on earth did they pick him? Did they think they were going to get something different,?

If the other left footer you're referring to is Hill, I beg to differ sir.

No way he should be retained on the list. We've seen what he has to offer. He makes crucial errors at crucial times in games. He occasionally does something that makes you go, "that was good", then he disappears again until four or five games later. Was extremely lucky that Richo saw something in him that many didn't and he got as many games as he did.

Good clubman, good to have around - so is Hannebery apparently, but it's not a reason to retain him.

I do agree though that a guy of his talent and abilities has done very well to he on an AFL list for 10 years. I'd prefer it if it wasn't ours.