Team v Cats

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v Cats

Bit disappointed NWM is out, but understand why, and a short injury list creating these problems is a good thing.

IMO he has already proven to be the best ball user on our list, fingers crossed he has a big future.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Fri 13 May 2022 10:03am Like the changes from afar.

Also unlike the Grant Thomas era where we ended up with Ball and Maguire with OP due to overwork we are being sensible with the new players. I think NWM will be even better when he returns next week as really starting to get used to the pace of the game.

Pressure on : Long, Paton this week with Clarke likely back after a second Sandy game. Geary, Lienert & Byrnes in the wings ready to go also - all of which is a good thing
Clark FFS.

lloyd21
Club Player

Geary is finished …love Ratts …

But he has been continually towelled up ..at Sandringham this year.
Matched by the senseless selection of Kent earlier in the year.

Playing Butler struggling with Achilles , again mind numbing.

Our depth is good , like the selection of Sharman overdue.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 13 May 2022 1:28am Do they realise the Cats have beaten us 9 out of the last ten times AT Marvel????
That is a worrying stat. They’ve had our measure for years really. Let’s see if we are making any progress.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Fri 13 May 2022 1:45pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 13 May 2022 1:28am Do they realise the Cats have beaten us 9 out of the last ten times AT Marvel????
That is a worrying stat. They’ve had our measure for years really. Let’s see if we are making any progress.
Each of those ten times was in a season in which we failed to make the finals (in the one season we did, 2020, we didn't play the Cats at Marvel).

We're a better team this year than in any of those past years. So I reckon we've got a good chance, especially if we use DMac, Hill, Billings and, to some extent, Wood to attack them down the wings and generally run them around a lot.

They lost to the Hawks and to the Dockers at home. They are dangerous, but definitely vulnerable.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I must say that I hope Sharman can even partly live up to the expectations many of you seem to have of him.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

bangaulegend wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 8:41pm
realdeal wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 8:32pm
cwrcyn wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 8:00pm Sharman keeps the opposition's intercept marking defender honest. We could have used him last week. King would not have been mauled as much as he was if Sharman was there to distract other tall defenders. He's a natural forward.
Exactly. I dont necessarily expect Sharmto kick a ton of goals however he appears to be a natural forward who actually provides movement and leads in the forward line... Hopefully this at least opens things up a bit or provide encouragement for King to start moving more himself...

Worth a shot..
Yeah takes a bit of attention away from Max but centre clearance will be the key lose centre clearance we lose the game IMO anyway
100% correct.

But it's not just centre clearances - it's all clearances and stoppages. For the past 4 weeks - Geelong are ranked 1 and 4 for the two key metrics that measure how efficiently they score whilst the ball is in motion. However, they've been ranked in the bottom 3rd when the ball is stationary. That's probably due to both poor rucking and (1) Danger has played more forward and (2) Selwood has been injured. They've actually bolstered that area this week with the return of Selwood so, my take is that if we can dominate the ruck (as Paddy should against Blic and Stanley) and give our mids first use. If not - we're likely going to be in a world of hurt.

I know everyone pots Geelong as being pensioners and slow but, they've still got a very good defence, two excellent tall forwards who work well together and a better than average midfield. Their only real weakness is the ruck.

I only wish we were playing them at the G - we'd be able to use the space and run them off their legs. They historically play Marvel quite well

Go you red, black & white warriors
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Fri 13 May 2022 8:32am
Banger9798 wrote: Fri 13 May 2022 4:00am
Ghost Like wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 9:20pm
SunnyErnie wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 8:28pm Slowly but surely this ego maniac of a Ratten is removing all the gains we have made this year. He has taken Windhager and NWM out and he is slowly bringing in the same old players that have failed in the past. With a bit of luck Saturday will be Ratt's last game before Clarko takes over!!!
Haven't you been screaming for Sharman??? Seriously, just leave! You are only here to cause angst & issues. Times up.
Really had enough of this bloke.
Can we have a vote?
Come on people! You all know the best game plan! Just don't engage with the poster.
Is just sprouting rubbish so easy to ignore and move on.
Will take a disciplined team effort but can be done.
It's amazing why posters don't get the point you make. It really is very easy, re just ignore.

Reacting in any way especially calls for mods to interject just amount to a 6 pointer from outside the 50m arc and into a stiff breeze. And Banning is futile, the phpBB software engine this forum is mounted on are extremely old (open source) technology and so security is leakier than a sieve.

The advice Takeaway offers is the best. Just ignore on a team level...simples.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 13 May 2022 4:04pm
cwrcyn wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 8:00pm Sharman keeps the opposition's intercept marking defender honest. We could have used him last week. King would not have been mauled as much as he was if Sharman was there to distract other tall defenders. He's a natural forward.
Exactly. I dont necessarily expect Sharmto kick a ton of goals however he appears to be a natural forward who actually provides movement and leads in the forward line... Hopefully this at least opens things up a bit or provide encouragement for King to start moving more himself...

Worth a shot..
Yeah takes a bit of attention away from Max but centre clearance will be the key lose centre clearance we lose the game IMO anyway
100% correct.

But it's not just centre clearances - it's all clearances and stoppages. For the past 4 weeks - Geelong are ranked 1 and 4 for the two key metrics that measure how efficiently they score whilst the ball is in motion. However, they've been ranked in the bottom 3rd when the ball is stationary. That's probably due to both poor rucking and (1) Danger has played more forward and (2) Selwood has been injured. They've actually bolstered that area this week with the return of Selwood so, my take is that if we can dominate the ruck (as Paddy should against Blic and Stanley) and give our mids first use. If not - we're likely going to be in a world of hurt.

I know everyone pots Geelong as being pensioners and slow but, they've still got a very good defence, two excellent tall forwards who work well together and a better than average midfield. Their only real weakness is the ruck.

I only wish we were playing them at the G - we'd be able to use the space and run them off their legs. They historically play Marvel quite well
Centre clearances AND the forward line being ready for the ball coming in quickly to create uncertainty in the oppo defence. And uncertainty and panic in the oppos defence is enhanced with at least TWO tall marking options capable of gloving the ball. Forward defence and locking the ball in must be the follow up action and not the one wood for potential to score set plays. Bombing it in is the end result if we don't have that 2nd tall especially when fatigue sets in.

The 2 parts are needed, a midfield and a forward line, the proof in da puddin was how we looked when Jack Hayes was clunking em AND slotting em. Our midfield had options, easier to play quick quick and easier because there were multiple options to scramble the intercepting defenders. Our mechanism into F50 was much better.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Fri 13 May 2022 4:19pm

Worth a shot..
100% correct.

Centre clearances AND the forward line being ready for the ball coming in quickly to create uncertainty in the oppo defence. And uncertainty and panic in the oppos defence is enhanced with at least TWO tall marking options capable of gloving the ball. Forward defence and locking the ball in must be the follow up action and not the one wood for potential to score set plays. Bombing it in is the end result if we don't have that 2nd tall especially when fatigue sets in.

The 2 parts are needed, a midfield and a forward line, the proof in da puddin was how we looked when Jack Hayes was clunking em AND slotting em. Our midfield had options, easier to play quick quick and easier because there were multiple options to scramble the intercepting defenders. Our mechanism into F50 was much better.
We certainly don't have two tall forwards. We used to before Membrey became the "Mr Everywhere" player. Membrey is mostly there; but not always. Sharman might help that a lot if he stays at home and doesn't get sucked up the ground.

Go you red, black & white warriors
dalboy
Club Player

With Marshal & Ryder resting we do have a tall marking option other than King - hopefully Sharman can also be a good marking option. The key is to lower the eyes and use the ball better into F50.

I worry about Hawkins - last week Howard was good so hopefully can continue his form. Cameron is also quite a footballer but i'm confident that Wilkie can cover him like he has with Fritz and Gunstan.

Happiness is a warm pie!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Any late changes?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 13 May 2022 6:54pm Any late changes?

We play on Sat, and so you are a day early.

Or are you thinking of teams who play on Sundays, where at about 5PM the team announced on Thursday is trimmed?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 13 May 2022 4:34pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 13 May 2022 4:19pm

Worth a shot..
100% correct.

We certainly don't have two tall forwards. We used to before Membrey became the "Mr Everywhere" player. Membrey is mostly there; but not always. Sharman might help that a lot if he stays at home and doesn't get sucked up the ground.
Two tall forwards will get the job and is our best set-up with regards to this groups capabilities. We've got a scrubber forward set-up presently and our mids will continue to be indiscisve with their mechanism into F50 until we find another tall forward.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Shouldn’t the sub be announced by now?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Fri 13 May 2022 8:31pm Shouldn’t the sub be announced by now?
The sub is announced just before the game.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Fri 13 May 2022 3:41pm I must say that I hope Sharman can even partly live up to the expectations many of you seem to have of him.
Respectfully,
Do you really?

Sounds like a back hander.

Well, he played last time, kicked three or so, and we got walloped, at least in terms of the scale of momentum change.

I think it was a coaches nightmare game. Get off to a flying start, and then get run down.

But whether Cooper kicks a few, or doesn’t, I think we’d all agree, we need someone up there with King.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We lost key players in both matches last year. Marshall in the first one and King in the second.

We'll win tomorrow I reckon.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
StPeter
Club Player

It would be great if we can stop them scoring a goal or two in the first couple of minutes as most teams seem to do!!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 13 May 2022 9:07pm
meher baba wrote: Fri 13 May 2022 3:41pm I must say that I hope Sharman can even partly live up to the expectations many of you seem to have of him.
Respectfully,
Do you really?

Well, he played last time, kicked three or so, and we got walloped, at least in terms of the scale of momentum change.

I think it was a coaches nightmare game. Get off to a flying start, and then get run down.

But whether Cooper kicks a few, or doesn’t, I think we’d all agree, we need someone up there with King.
Not really a backhander. Just that I don't tend to get all excited about the selection of a player performing moderately in the VFL. From what I've seen of him, he's a good mark and an accurate kick, but he doesn't look to have any ground skills to speak of and I can't recall seeing him lay a tackle or do any worthwhile ruck work.

So he appears to be not much more than a matching bookend for King. Perhaps having two bookends will work out ok against the Cats because of the nature of their defensive set up. But in contemporary AFL, two specialist bookends with limited tackling and ground ball skills - plus a small in Higgins who also isn't much of a tackler - looks to me like a recipe for being regularly hit hard on the rebound.

But I have a lot of faith in the people running our club and football team at the moment, so I'm optimistic that Sharman will work out ok, at least for today.

- Jonathan Swift
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Sat 14 May 2022 11:04am
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 13 May 2022 9:07pm
Respectfully,
Do you really?

Not really a backhander. Just that I don't tend to get all excited about the selection of a player performing moderately in the VFL. From what I've seen of him, he's a good mark and an accurate kick, but he doesn't look to have any ground skills to speak of and I can't recall seeing him lay a tackle or do any worthwhile ruck work.

So he appears to be not much more than a matching bookend for King. Perhaps having two bookends will work out ok against the Cats because of the nature of their defensive set up. But in contemporary AFL, two specialist bookends with limited tackling and ground ball skills - plus a small in Higgins who also isn't much of a tackler - looks to me like a recipe for being regularly hit hard on the rebound.

But I have a lot of faith in the people running our club and football team at the moment, so I'm optimistic that Sharman will work out ok, at least for today.
Tend to agree, especially in regards to tackling. Hoping King, Sharman, Higgins & Membrey can create separation and generate shots on goal. I wonder whether Steele & Crouch will spend time forward to create some tackling pressure or whether they will opt for Long to create the pressure.

Long is finding a niche in the backline & besides Hawkins and Cameron, the Geelong forwards are quite small & quick - Long, Paton & Webster will have their hands full.

We really need to make the most of Ryder and win centre clearances, otherwise it will be last week's first half all over again.