The running men.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The running men.

From afl.com.au

ST KILDA – Tony Brown
There aren't many more experienced runners in the AFL than Tony Brown, who is also one of the most popular people inside RSEA Park. Brown started running under Mick Malthouse at Collingwood before moving back to his old club when Scott Watters got the coaching job at Seaford. The 45-year-old quickly became one of St Kilda's player development managers, where he is widely regarded as one of the best in the AFL. Brown played 108 games in six years for the Saints before he was delisted at 23. He went on to win a Magarey Medal for the Port Adelaide Magpies before returning to teach in Victoria.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: The running men.

I've heard some social media posts about Brown, where they've said he lives in Barwon Heads.
If that's true, how the hell does he handle the commute to Linton St?
Does he have a flat or unit nearby, and lives in BH on the off days?

A friend owns a house that she lives in 2-3 days a week, a good distance from the CBD, also owns a small unit that she stays in when she doesn't want to travel 40 kms to the house after work.
She has 2 dogs and a cat, the dogs are better suited to the house.
Seems to work for her

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
minneapolis
Club Player

I live in a shoebox next to a drain. It's a bit squeezy but there is water nearby.

I have a pet ant and a horse. The ant is more suited to this life. It works for me.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
SunnyErnie
Club Player

Browney played over 100 games for us. Does he have any sons?

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Can't believe he was delisted at 23 years of age, did he fall out of favour with the coach ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Wayne42 wrote: Mon 13 Jun 2022 1:48pm Can't believe he was delisted at 23 years of age, did he fall out of favour with the coach ?
I went looking through old posts.
One or two opinions said Timid Timmy and his silly ideas ruined Brown, as well as Heatley.
I remember Heatley having games in the 2s, then in his return game at Waverley, he kicked a goal, looked up at the coaches' box, and made a big gesture like 'see, I CAN kick bloody goals, mate 💪🧐'
They reckon Timid wanted guys to play in different spots, but Brown was only suited to centre, so didn't fare well in other roles, plus he was a pure left footer, and those kicks were floaters.
So fell out of favour.
Well, those aren't confirmed facts, but opinions, hey

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Club Player

Tony Brown- think a smaller, slower Seb Ross. Still- played over 100 games. He had no trouble getting the footy!

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
minneapolis
Club Player

6621104 wrote: Tue 14 Jun 2022 9:41am Tony Brown- think a smaller, slower Seb Ross. Still- played over 100 games. He had no trouble getting the footy!
And no right foot ......not that there's anything wrong with that.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Mon 13 Jun 2022 1:48pm Can't believe he was delisted at 23 years of age, did he fall out of favour with the coach ?
I was wondering the same thing as he was still a better than average footballer.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Is Tony Brown ...Tony47

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Tue 14 Jun 2022 8:40pm Is Tony Brown ...Tony47
I'm pretty sure there were weeks when Tony's said he wasn't with the team and Tony Brown was with the team.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Id also be disappointed if our Development/Welfare manager was making insider comments about players on a fan forum.

leighsaintsince66
Club Player

When I think of Tony Brown, memories of youngsters such as Skinny Lappin, Joel Smith & Aussie Jones also come flooding back.
The mid to late 1990's were often special days at the club.
(Eg Pre season premiers 1996, top of the ladder 1997).
It would have been great if Skinny and Joel had remained at the Saints.

minneapolis
Club Player

leighsaintsince66 wrote: Tue 14 Jun 2022 9:08pm When I think of Tony Brown, memories of youngsters such as Skinny Lappin, Joel Smith & Aussie Jones also come flooding back.
The mid to late 1990's were often special days at the club.
(Eg Pre season premiers 1996, top of the ladder 1997).
It would have been great if Skinny and Joel had remained at the Saints.
Yeah me too. I loved The Accountants (Smith, Brown and Jones Company).

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Have had the impression Smith did the dirty on us and we did the dirty on Lappin.

But it might be I just accept that in the past we have been poorly managed, either by not paying attention to detail or having heads up bottoms on looming issues until they are out of control and assume incompetence.

My memories of Smith and Lappin are marked by regret (again) and of Tony of always being fair dinkum on the field.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote: Mon 13 Jun 2022 12:43pm I've heard some social media posts about Brown, where they've said he lives in Barwon Heads.
If that's true, how the hell does he handle the commute to Linton St?
Does he have a flat or unit nearby, and lives in BH on the off days?

A friend owns a house that she lives in 2-3 days a week, a good distance from the CBD, also owns a small unit that she stays in when she doesn't want to travel 40 kms to the house after work.
She has 2 dogs and a cat, the dogs are better suited to the house.
Seems to work for her
Absolutely lives in Barwon Heads but no idea about how he commutes. Maybe the Queenscliff ferry gets a good run.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

SunnyErnie wrote: Mon 13 Jun 2022 1:35pm Browney played over 100 games for us. Does he have any sons?
Has at least one that is Primary School age.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

IluvHarvey wrote: Wed 15 Jun 2022 12:29pm
SunnyErnie wrote: Mon 13 Jun 2022 1:35pm Browney played over 100 games for us. Does he have any sons?
Has at least one that is Primary School age.
Hopefully he is a good footballer

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 15 Jun 2022 10:03am Have had the impression Smith did the dirty on us and we did the dirty on Lappin.
I think Hawthorn just made Smith a substantially better offer than we were able/willing to consider at the time. I think given his injury (which was reminiscent of a car crash in terms of damage to whatever)… I think he couldn’t turn it down.

As far as Lappin goes… my sense is that after 97, a real party culture developed at the club and it pbly got away from those that were trying to run things. I think that’s at least in part a contributor to how Alves fell out of favour and I think Watson was trying to manage it albeit poorly.

I’m under the impression that Lappin was moved on as he was deep into the party scene with Jones, Heatley and Brown other notables tarred with that brush.

Heatley by all accounts was a big boozer and gambler which is not hard to believe if you caught any media of him from his VFL time.
Brown I don’t know so much about but I think it coincided with a huge dip in his form. I don’t know that he was any worse then Jones but Aussie certainly had the better form and higher ceiling of the two.

None of the above is fact, it’s just my memory/impression of the era as a 15yo that was really really into, read the articles and listened to interviews (before media turned to garbage) and sussed out the forums.

IIRC Brown didn’t make the Blight era… quite shocking when you think of his age. I remember he played late in 00 for the first time in a while and the team got around him but he looked nervous++.
I always assumed it was off-field stuff

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Wed 15 Jun 2022 2:49pm
Yorkeys wrote: Wed 15 Jun 2022 10:03am Have had the impression Smith did the dirty on us and we did the dirty on Lappin.
I think Hawthorn just made Smith a substantially better offer than we were able/willing to consider at the time. I think given his injury (which was reminiscent of a car crash in terms of damage to whatever)… I think he couldn’t turn it down.

As far as Lappin goes… my sense is that after 97, a real party culture developed at the club and it pbly got away from those that were trying to run things. I think that’s at least in part a contributor to how Alves fell out of favour and I think Watson was trying to manage it albeit poorly.

I’m under the impression that Lappin was moved on as he was deep into the party scene with Jones, Heatley and Brown other notables tarred with that brush.

Heatley by all accounts was a big boozer and gambler which is not hard to believe if you caught any media of him from his VFL time.
Brown I don’t know so much about but I think it coincided with a huge dip in his form. I don’t know that he was any worse then Jones but Aussie certainly had the better form and higher ceiling of the two.

None of the above is fact, it’s just my memory/impression of the era as a 15yo that was really really into, read the articles and listened to interviews (before media turned to garbage) and sussed out the forums.

IIRC Brown didn’t make the Blight era… quite shocking when you think of his age. I remember he played late in 00 for the first time in a while and the team got around him but he looked nervous++.
I always assumed it was off-field stuff
I used to see Lappin, Smith, Hudghton and Ben Thompson out on the town every week. Sometimes Aussie was there too but the other 4 were always hitting it hard together.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Tue 14 Jun 2022 8:40pm Is Tony Brown ...Tony47
No, I believe he is currently 45.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Brown could find the ball but was pretty small and slow

Jones was a gun who could’ve been even better

Smith and Lappin were very talented hence why they went onto great careers elsewhere

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I used to manage a recycling contract across a number of Bayside suburbs at the time these boys all lived together.

It was pointed out by an employee, who grew up with one of them and knew where they lived, that their black tub was full of empty stubbles on most days.

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

minneapolis wrote: Mon 13 Jun 2022 12:55pm I live in a shoebox next to a drain. It's a bit squeezy but there is water nearby.

I have a pet ant and a horse. The ant is more suited to this life. It works for me.
Shoebox? ...luxury!

We lived for three months in paper bag in septic tank, We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt!

Look again it's the Flash!!
barwon saint
Club Player

Nathan Brown lives and plays footy for Barwon Heads Kicked nine last week against Anglesea top bloke really down to earth.