Sandringham v Bombers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sandringham v Bombers

St Plugger wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 7:40am
Devilhead wrote: Sat 18 Jun 2022 6:14pm Drop Long and Butler and bring in Windhager and Steele for more midfield grunt and consider Highmore for a backline player ...... DMac comes in for Clark if he is battling fitness
What's this dropping Long business? He probably played with the most commitment and passion of any St Kilda player on Friday night! He gave his all, kicked a goal, took a critical defensive mark and set up other scoring opportunities. it's Butler and Higgins that are of concern!
Higgo kicks goals .... more dangerous forward

With Steele Dmac and likely Sharman coming in (for forward structure) .... who you gunna drop?

The guy that's kicked 19.16 in 10 games or the guy that's kicked 5.4 in 11 games?

Long is a stop gap measure... he serves a purpose for a short of time .... sometimes forward .... sometimes back ..... he tries hard, has some ok attributes and plays the odd good game but he doesn't have a position and there are better more damaging players for those positions ..... he is on the fringe

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 18 Jun 2022 11:07pm
kosifantutti wrote: Sat 18 Jun 2022 10:42pm
Wayne42 wrote: Sat 18 Jun 2022 10:29pm
kosifantutti wrote: Sat 18 Jun 2022 9:30pm
Ghost Like wrote:Should games as a medi-sub count in their total? Seems a little unfair when quoting total stats such as goals & possessions per game.

Perhaps to be discussed in another thread, another time.
He played 3.5 games last year and 3 this year.
I’m not great at maths but 6.5 games for 13 goals is about 2 goals a game.
Your maths is off.

He played 5 games last year and 4 this for a total of 9 games he has kicked 13 goals, 10 last year and 3 this year.

https://www.saints.com.au/players/3029/cooper-sharman
For the 2 games where he was an unused medi sub how many goals should he have kicked?
And in the first half against Carlton last year, how many goals should he have kicked before he was subbed on for Douglas Howard?
That's an interesting additional stat where they thought he was no better than a bench warmer, those 2 games still count as games played according to the AFL.
You’re right, and after Friday’s performance, I hope Windhager never plays again.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
older saint
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote: Sat 18 Jun 2022 7:15pm
older saint wrote: Sat 18 Jun 2022 7:02pm
Teflon wrote: Sat 18 Jun 2022 6:49pm
Devilhead wrote: Sat 18 Jun 2022 6:11pm
Teflon wrote: Sat 18 Jun 2022 6:06pm
Wayne42 wrote: Sat 18 Jun 2022 5:48pm Final Scores
Sandy 13-12-90 v Bombers 15-14-104

Sandy best Campbell 37 hit outs, Windy, Leinert, Joyce.
Sharman is a great kick at goal, he just struggles to get it.
Heath, on today’s effort is way off.
If Sharman kicked 3 he’s done his job
If I’m AFL we had a game plan to honour and look for the lead up player - not max king all the time Sharman would be fine
We don’t
I think it’s time to tell Membrey for the next block of games his role is not secure
No you play all 3 in the forwardline .... its not friggin brain surgery
I actually think it’s like this
1. King
2. Sharman (for now let’s see what he’s got)
3. Membrey /Higgins (whoever cements the spot can’t be both)
4.Long - pressure
5. Gresham
6. Billing’s /Hill HFF

Gresham must be played rotating short burst in middle
I think the days of Membrey/Higgins as a certain starter are over
If Membrey isn't there last night we are 8 goals down at half time!

Higgins kicks goals goals out of 11.

All young key forwards need a "Robin" and Membrey is the perfect " Robin" for King. Do the grunt running, do the body work, blocking etc. Look how Naughton has struggled this year without Bruce.
I know you love Sharman ( perhaps even related?) , we all have our favourite players but perhaps there is a reason he isn't there - outside of the coaches dont like him, or he is unfairly treated - how many forward tackles has he made? how much selfless lead up running does he do, how much defensive running does he do?
There is so much more to being an AFL forward now days than just kicking goals.
I hope he succeeds as good for the club, but needs to earn a spot not get it by default or potential we aren't north
How dumb
Membrey had to go back half - is that your 8 goals down???
He’s a **** forward and as no 2 can’t draw a defender that’s why we go to King 38% tine then Higgins THEN Membrey
Point is he ain’t a no 2 forward
No surprise he kicks multiple goals with Sharman in the side cause it takes pressure off him
FFS try watching the game
Clearly unable to have a reasonable debate with someone who has a different opinion without having to have a crack at them rather than sticking to just the points being argued.
That's the issue now days when people have a different view to your own they take it personal and turn to insults rather than try to have a reasonable discussion and even acknowledge that different perspectives are not all bad.
For what its worth I watch a lot of games and not just as a fan.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 5:44pm

If I’m AFL we had a game plan to honour and look for the lead up player - not max king all the time Sharman would be fine
We don’t
I think it’s time to tell Membrey for the next block of games his role is not secure
1. King
4.Long - pressure
5. Gresham
6. Billing’s /Hill HFF

All young key forwards need a "Robin" and Membrey is the perfect " Robin" for King. Do the grunt running, do the body work, blocking etc. Look how Naughton has struggled this year without Bruce.
I know you love Sharman ( perhaps even related?) , we all have our favourite players but perhaps there is a reason he isn't there - outside of the coaches dont like him, or he is unfairly treated - how many forward tackles has he made? how much selfless lead up running does he do, how much defensive running does he do?
I hope he succeeds as good for the club, but needs to earn a spot not get it by default or potential we aren't north
How dumb
He’s a **** forward and as no 2 can’t draw a defender that’s why we go to King 38% tine then Higgins THEN Membrey
No surprise he kicks multiple goals with Sharman in the side cause it takes pressure off him
Clearly unable to have a reasonable debate with someone who has a different opinion without having to have a crack at them rather than sticking to just the points being argued.
That's the issue now days when people have a different view to your own they take it personal and turn to insults rather than try to have a reasonable discussion and even acknowledge that different perspectives are not all bad.
How do you conceive our current forward set up of 2 marking forwards with one spending time down back?

When you look at nearly every other team in the AFL they have 3 permanent tall/medium marking forwards ( not incl. Resting rucks) ...... we currently have one and a half

Do you think this is sustainable? Do you think we are finals bound with this forward strategy?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 6:34pm
older saint wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 5:44pm

We don’t
1. King
4.Long - pressure
5. Gresham
6. Billing’s /Hill HFF

How dumb
How do you conceive our current forward set up of 2 marking forwards with one spending time down back?

When you look at nearly every other team in the AFL they have 3 permanent tall/medium marking forwards ( not incl. Resting rucks) ...... we currently have one and a half

Do you think this is sustainable? Do you think we are finals bound with this forward strategy?
Bang on!
Telling us that we’d be 8 goals down without Membrey misses the entire point…..his core job is to kick goals and draw heat from King. He’s failing badly at both
His position imo should not be assured every week - I don’t think we can carry him and Higgins when they can’t impact
Everyone just piles on King
We are so predictable it’s not funny
How easy to stop Saints!!

“Yeah….nah””
realdeal
Club Player

His job is
Last edited by realdeal on Sun 19 Jun 2022 8:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

realdeal
Club Player

His job is
Last edited by realdeal on Sun 19 Jun 2022 8:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

realdeal
Club Player

His job is to kick goals unfortunately he's not playiny in a position to kick any. Our team selection is slaughtering us.

We had Hayes, a tall, he played a role, he got injured and we've replaced him with???? Sub 185cm smalls that don't help give King a chop out whatsoever and dont look like kicking any themselves 🤦‍♂️

Whether its Sharman, or we try Highmore in the Hayes role or even play Marshall FF and bring in Campbell to play with Ryder we need to make a damn change.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 8:20pm His job is to kick goals unfortunately he's not playiny in a position to kick any. Our team selection is slaughtering us.

We had Hayes, a tall, he played a role, he got injured and we've replaced him with???? Sub 185cm smalls that don't help give King a chop out whatsoever and dont look like kicking any themselves 🤦‍♂️

Whether its Sharman, or we try Highmore in the Hayes role or even play Marshall FF and bring in Campbell to play with Ryder we need to make a damn change.
Yes we do .... but will they?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

How about our resting ruckman play FF

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

And what happens when he is on the bench?

They can't play 100% game time

What if he gets injured?

We need a permanent 3rd tall marking option that isn't a resting ruckman ..... nearly every other team has one

IMHO anyway

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The Ruckmen can float in and out as free radicals or rotate in as required

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

St Plugger wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 7:40am
Devilhead wrote: Sat 18 Jun 2022 6:14pm Drop Long and Butler and bring in Windhager and Steele for more midfield grunt and consider Highmore for a backline player ...... DMac comes in for Clark if he is battling fitness
What's this dropping Long business? He probably played with the most commitment and passion of any St Kilda player on Friday night! He gave his all, kicked a goal, took a critical defensive mark and set up other scoring opportunities. it's Butler and Higgins that are of concern!
I agree Long adds some genuine toughness

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 11:38pm And what happens when he is on the bench?

They can't play 100% game time

What if he gets injured?

We need a permanent 3rd tall marking option that isn't a resting ruckman ..... nearly every other team has one

IMHO anyway
That’s how I see it
Ruckman resting forward is just that but we need a team down there that know their leading patterns and how to play together

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I'm still trying to imagine this place our ruckman go to rest in our F50.

It's sounds like such a tranquil place, must be very peaceful too when 35 players run out of the forward line to defend the turnover or to chase the ball we couldn't lock in F50.

We must be the only 2 way running team in the comp that has such a lovely peaceful place where ruckman can go to rest on an AFL field.

Ratts is a genius to devise such a cunning game plan.

Pagans Paddock
Clarkos Cluster
Ratts Rester

Killa
Club Player

The ONLY player from the 22 on the park who had a positive impact was Battle

So start from there

Coming into the game, we had 8 wins and a 1 point loss in a generally even competition other than a couple of Clubs

So are we that bad - noting Essendon far too often over years now cut us up including by playing wide and creating space

By contrast, when we get the ball and attempt to generate run we run into their numbers

How does this continually happen v Essendon?

And how do we respond v Sydney who are also on the rebound?

Given some changes with players returning, starting with Steele, and VFL form rewarded do you rely on players responding to an abysmal performance and on notice to do so

Over and out

Always interesting (and amusing) to scan this site after a loss - given you never win every game

realdeal
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 8:14am I'm still trying to imagine this place our ruckman go to rest in our F50.

It's sounds like such a tranquil place, must be very peaceful too when 35 players run out of the forward line to defend the turnover or to chase the ball we couldn't lock in F50.

We must be the only 2 way running team in the comp that has such a lovely peaceful place where ruckman can go to rest on an AFL field.

Pagans Paddock
Clarkos Cluster
Ratts Rester
Classic :lol:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 8:14am I'm still trying to imagine this place our ruckman go to rest in our F50.

Pagans Paddock
Clarkos Cluster
Ratts Rester
We could call it

“Sharmans sanctuary” after you’ve sacked him 7 games in to his AFL career??

And resting a ruckman up forward (instead of sitting in the bench) isn’t new ….well I guess if you’ve watched the game after 73 it isn’t …

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 10:22am

Pagans Paddock
Clarkos Cluster
Ratts Rester
We could call it

“Sharmans sanctuary” after you’ve sacked him 7 games in to his AFL career??

And resting a ruckman up forward (instead of sitting in the bench) isn’t new ….well I guess if you’ve watched the game after 73 it isn’t …
I just recon resting on an AFL field doesn't happen at all, and I know that sounds contradictory after watching 17 players rest for most of the game against the Don's.