Bye bye Ratten!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Crossy66
Club Player

Re: Bye bye Ratten

Darth Vader wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 7:23pm It’s interesting that when Bassat mentioned they were looking to extend Ratten a few weeks ago, and Lethlean on SEN today, neither of them said he’s an outstanding coach. They said ‘we want to keep the coaching group together’.

Lethlean’s comments today (not in so many words and with some serious reading between the lines) were:

- the coach is the biggest chunk of the soft cap
- an inexperienced coach costs less but needs more support (senior assistant coaches, mentors etc) which uses lots of cap space
- a successful experienced coach costs more which uses lots of cap space
- Ratten is unsuccessful (so is cheap) but experienced (so doesn’t need so much support) which leaves more cap space for other stuff like fitness and development

This is why we want to keep this coaching group together - more cap space. I got the sense that Ratten’s actual capabilities were irrelevant as long as the players love him.

Need to use all our draft picks and choose well, no more recycled trades, free agents only as top-ups, for this to have any chance of success.
A little harsh on Ratts. I'll give you a car buying analogy. Saints had a look at a $250k range rover with all the bells and whistles before settling on a LandCruiser and a Hilux AND a Yaris for the same money. Given all clubs are limited by the soft cap' Makes sense doesn't it?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bye bye Ratten!

DV it makes a lot of sense what you have put together. Clarkson's asking price would be north of a million per year, so that maybe another reason the club will stick with Ratten.

I believe what posters on BF have suggested, that Ratten is already signed. The club are just waiting for the right time to announce it. It seriously worries me that he hasnt had answers for his team falling off a cliff, so lets hope Lethlean & Bassatt have made the right decision?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I hope there are clauses in his contract. Might be gone this time next year.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Darth Vader
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 8:18pm I hope there are clauses in his contract. Might be gone this time next year.
Funded by AFL so 6 months payout even if 3 year contract.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Darth Vader wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 7:23pm It’s interesting that when Bassat mentioned they were looking to extend Ratten a few weeks ago, and Lethlean on SEN today, neither of them said he’s an outstanding coach. They said ‘we want to keep the coaching group together’.

Lethlean’s comments today (not in so many words and with some serious reading between the lines) were:

- an inexperienced coach costs less but needs more support (senior assistant coaches, mentors etc) which uses lots of cap space
- Ratten is unsuccessful (so is cheap) but experienced (so doesn’t need so much support) which leaves more cap space for other stuff like fitness and development

This is why we want to keep this coaching group together - more cap space. I got the sense that Ratten’s actual capabilities were irrelevant as long as the players love him.

Need to use all our draft picks and choose well, no more recycled trades, free agents only as top-ups, for this to have any chance of success.
I could understand that if the club said we are putting a Choco Williams around him to support …but we’ve got Lade (not rated at Tigers) and McGlyn (not rated anywhere…) I think Boris work with defensive team is there to see….
Then we have stats guy Rath - from champion statistics….hardly a ringing endorsement of a top end football team you’re spending the money on??
Maybe signing Clarkson means you lose Lade….maybe you don’t need him??
Whose doing transition/forward line???
There’s a clear gap …

“Yeah….nah””
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

David Rath..
St Kilda have poached the AFL's top football guru David Rath to spearhead their football program, opening the door for former North Melbourne coach Brad Scott to join the league's football operations team.

Rath will become "head of football program" at the Saints and in doing so leave his role as the AFL's coaching innovation and education manager.
Prior to his time at the AFL he was Hawthorn's head of coaching services, where he implemented a ground-breaking kicking program among other lauded innovations, that made him a key influence in the club's recent premiership era.

"David is a really important appointment for the football club," Saints general manager of football Simon Lethlean said.
"We believe his knowledge, innovative thinking and strategic ability will give our football program a genuine edge moving forward.

"There are very few people in the industry with his level of experience and skill set.

"He will play a key role in shaping our football program alongside Brett Ratten and identifying areas for improvement across our coaching and football analysis team."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/sai ... 52t1k.html

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Darth Vader
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 11:44pm

I could understand that if the club said we are putting a Choco Williams around him to support …but we’ve got Lade (not rated at Tigers) and McGlyn (not rated anywhere…) I think Boris work with defensive team is there to see….
Then we have stats guy Rath - from champion statistics….hardly a ringing endorsement of a top end football team you’re spending the money on??
There’s a clear gap …
Lethlean mentioned Damian Carroll as the guy they were able to appoint using the extra cap space. I would’ve thought having someone running development is a bare minimum requirement regardless of what you spend on the coach, especially considering how crap we’ve been in this area.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Darth Vader wrote: Tue 28 Jun 2022 12:20am
Teflon wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 11:44pm

There’s a clear gap …
Lethlean mentioned Damian Carroll as the guy they were able to appoint using the extra cap space. I would’ve thought having someone running development is a bare minimum requirement regardless of what you spend on the coach, especially considering how crap we’ve been in this area.
I agree and other clubs are under the cap and managing it also with development?
Maybe it’s our other assistants that aren’t much chop?

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Tue 28 Jun 2022 12:20am David Rath..
St Kilda have poached the AFL's top football guru David Rath to spearhead their football program, opening the door for former North Melbourne coach Brad Scott to join the league's football operations team.

Rath will become "head of football program" at the Saints and in doing so leave his role as the AFL's coaching innovation and education manager.
Prior to his time at the AFL he was Hawthorn's head of coaching services, where he implemented a ground-breaking kicking program among other lauded innovations, that made him a key influence in the club's recent premiership era.

"David is a really important appointment for the football club," Saints general manager of football Simon Lethlean said.
"We believe his knowledge, innovative thinking and strategic ability will give our football program a genuine edge moving forward.

"There are very few people in the industry with his level of experience and skill set.

"He will play a key role in shaping our football program alongside Brett Ratten and identifying areas for improvement across our coaching and football analysis team."

Excellent club puff promotion
Nice find !
How many sides has David coached or been assistant at within the AFL to know about football?
He was a coaching innovation/education at AFL house abd I understand originally came from Champion Data
Do me a favour - dig out the Richo press release when he was signed …..the one that says
“Allan has been a superb assistant at AFL level for years…blah blah….as a club we are incredibly lucky…..blah blah”
But…
If you can find the one after he left where the club said
“Yeah…look…just on Allan and on reflection…he perhaps was the wrong guy.. “
then I’m really paying attention!!!

“Yeah….nah””
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 28 Jun 2022 1:05am

Nice find !
How many sides has David coached or been assistant at within the AFL to know about football?
He was a coaching innovation/education at AFL house abd I understand originally came from Champion Data
Do me a favour - dig out the Richo press release when he was signed …..the one that says
“Allan has been a superb assistant at AFL level for years…blah blah….as a club we are incredibly lucky…..blah blah”
But…
How about some evidence that Rath actually worked at Champion Data.

Are you sure you are not getting your St Kilda employees mixed up ?

Now the senior analyst at St Kilda after a stint at Hawthorn, Darren O'Shaughnessy was working for AFL statistics provider Champion Data. :lol:

Who cares about Richo.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Tue 28 Jun 2022 1:14am

Nice find !
But…

Now the senior analyst at St Kilda after a stint at Hawthorn, Darren O'Shaughnessy was working for AFL statistics provider Champion Data. :lol:

Who cares about Richo.
Are you sure he didn’t????
Fly my little winged monkey and bring back some proof
I just put the Shyte out there for those like you to chew on

“Yeah….nah””
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 28 Jun 2022 9:40am
Wayne42 wrote: Tue 28 Jun 2022 1:14am

Nice find !
But…

Who cares about Richo.
Are you sure he didn’t????
Fly my little winged monkey and bring back some proof
I just put the Shyte out there for those like you to chew on
Shyte is right.