Max King

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Max King

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 28 Jun 2022 11:42am If it was my call I would have King find some form as 1st or 2nd ruck (Marshall at CHF) because key forward is one, if not the, most difficult positions to master in the AFL.

Having 2 or more defenders trying, and mostly succeeding, to stop him, combined with really poor delivery into attack, must be really demoralising, so little wonder Max is seriously out of touch.

Playing King in the ruck allows him to build confidence in his abilities which in turn should set him up to become the match winner he is expected to become.
Putting King in the ruck is just asking for a long term injury IMO.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn’t have King in the ruck - given he’s had a knee reco

But I would get him away from the goal square

Ratten should take note of how Cameron is used at Geelong.

Let him use his athleticism

Not getting exposed for lack of strength

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 28 Jun 2022 4:23pm Wouldn’t have King in the ruck - given he’s had a knee reco

King quite often ventures up onto the wing and then .... we have no tall forward to kick to

Re: Cats ... Cameron goes up the ground and they have Hawkins or Rohan or last match they had Henry planted in the forward line ..... all who can take a big grab

Agree that King shouldn't be used in the ruck but it's glaringly obvious that he needs another tall foil besides Membrey / Sharman

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

How about Rowan Marshall/Paddy Ryder as the deeper forward?

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 28 Jun 2022 10:03pm How about Rowan Marshall/Paddy Ryder as the deeper forward?
Good call, they would be a nightmare in deep and let Max off the leash at CHF.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 28 Jun 2022 10:03pm How about Rowan Marshall/Paddy Ryder as the deeper forward?
They can't play 100% game time

Rotate Ryder & Marshall & Sharman in the ruck and forward ..... more Ryder and Marshall in ruck though ..... occasionally have all 3 on the ground with 2 forward alongside Max which would stretch the Blues undersized backline

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 28 Jun 2022 4:23pm Wouldn’t have King in the ruck - given he’s had a knee reco

I totally agree B.M.. This all makes sense. What doesn't make sense is this talk about the supreme athleticism of Max, the reason he's nicknamed Winx.

TBH, I've not seen it. I cannot remember him running down a lumbering defender. Look at the 68 year old Buddy on the weekend, still doing a power of running.

Max needs to show that he's nicknamed Winx because of his running abilities and not because he has long, sinewy legs. Otherwise his nickname may as well be Unicorn.

Run Max, run! Listen to drums, get on your bike. You have your 30s to try to wrestle and outmark your opponents. Oh, and keep your head up! You of all people should know kicks aren't always perfect.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Tue 28 Jun 2022 9:38pm

King quite often ventures up onto the wing and then .... we have no tall forward to kick to

Re: Cats ... Cameron goes up the ground and they have Hawkins or Rohan or last match they had Henry planted in the forward line ..... all who can take a big grab

Agree that King shouldn't be used in the ruck but it's glaringly obvious that he needs another tall foil besides Membrey / Sharman
I think we've got the players between King, Membrey, Sharman, Marshall and Ryder, but its no good when we don't hold our forward structure.

How many times over the last few games have we seen players streaming thru the midfield having to then stop, double back and get into trouble because they have no one to kick to?

Agree we could play King up the ground in more a Riewoldt role, as long as we keep someone back for us to kick to.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Kings biggest issue is mental fragility, it's very concerning the lack of resilience he currently has. The speed at which he disintegrates when things don't go his way is hopefully not a permanent flaw.

Looks like Tarzan, Plays like Jane.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

He gets held and blocked all the time. His team mates need to get between him and his opponent. Not hard to do. Our guys should be giving the fullback he'll. Block the blocker.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 28 Jun 2022 12:49am I’ll tell you now

Naughton does not drop either of those uncontested dollies

If he’s going to play as a power forward

Get a fkn AFL body, puff his fkn chest out and act like a peacock

ATM he looks like a deer in headlights!!!

Grow a set
Often used term that, and I like it

I was thinking about this phrase (‘grow a set’) just before I logged in and maybe we could revolutionise a new method for our recruitment team.

We’ll call it the BMTMV ratio. It’s sort of a bit like the pinch test but we’re not testing for leanness.

B.M after our esteemed poster, and the T is for Testes and then MV for mass and volume.

The Saints medico and conditioning staff could get a set of scales to weigh each players ball bag and then measure circumference.

Discuss

spert
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 29 Jun 2022 2:11pm He gets held and blocked all the time. His team mates need to get between him and his opponent. Not hard to do. Our guys should be giving the fullback he'll. Block the blocker.
He has to work harder at making space and using his body

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I like the sound of that program, Scollop!

It worked pretty well back in the day for the East German female athletes👍🏻👍🏻

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I agree with BM .... and scollop's BMTMV ratio/initiative.
We might be better off playing M.King as a utility - he is good around the ground ... and it could help make our forward set up much less predictable?

We might end up scoring more goals this way?

A bit of lateral and counterintuitive - and perhaps "ballsy" thinking on the part of Ratten that could mean more goals by firing less blanks ?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 29 Jun 2022 3:04pm

Grow a set

I was thinking about this phrase (‘grow a set’) just before I logged in and maybe we could revolutionise a new method for our recruitment team.

We’ll call it the BMTMV ratio. It’s sort of a bit like the pinch test but we’re not testing for leanness.

B.M after our esteemed poster, and the T is for Testes and then MV for mass and volume.

The Saints medico and conditioning staff could get a set of scales to weigh each players ball bag and then measure circumference.

Discuss
In this day and age of equality and inclusiveness, grow a set could mean balls or boobs. There's something in that for all of us.

Sanctorum
Club Player

samoht wrote: Wed 29 Jun 2022 4:41pm I agree with BM .... and scollop's BMTMV ratio/initiative.
We might be better off playing M.King as a utility - he is good around the ground ... and it could help make our forward set up much less predictable?

We might end up scoring more goals this way?

A bit of lateral and counterintuitive - and perhaps "ballsy" thinking on the part of Ratten that could mean more goals by firing less blanks ?
Which is why I'd get him to take on ruck contests around the ground, gets him involved in the game. I don't go with the argument that this will expose him to serious injuries because that could happen in any physical contest. His problem looks to be 99.99% between the ears and that can't be fixed by playing him exclusively as a permanent key forward.

Max King has been predicted as "the next big thing" going back to his junior years at school, it's a massive burden to put on such young shoulders and he gives every indication in now his 4th year at the club that this is preying on his confidence. If this is not fixed real soon there's every chance he'll fall by the wayside, I hope the club understands that and find a way to get him on track.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Played both FF and CHF (in todays terms High and Deep)

They are totally different in terms of how you have to play

CHF is a 360 degree position where you can make lateral leads, hit up leads, backward leads and you can find space at many different angles. Nick Reiwoldt played this position (as far as movement goes) better than anyone in history imo.

Out of the goal square

You basically have about 110 degrees in which to lead. Basically it’s toward the ball carrier lead.
Tony Lockett and Jason Dunstall the best I’ve ever seen leading from the goal square.
Lockett was a big burly man, but rarely did you see him standing still and calling for the ball at the top of the goal square! He was explosive off the mark and he lead into space - and was basically unstoppable when he did this!

King jogs around at the top of the goal square and gets NO separation
Gets caught in a high ball contest.

It’s so obviously stupid that I just don’t understand it?

It’s like he’s playing kick to kick and wants to take contested marks?!

SaintJohno
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 29 Jun 2022 5:19pm

Grow a set

Discuss
In this day and age of equality and inclusiveness, grow a set could mean balls or boobs. There's something in that for all of us.
When I was younger I grew a set of the former, but now that I am 53 and enjoy a cold beer, I seem to be growing a set of the latter. I should really start playing footy again, I'd be a sure thing.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

SaintJohno wrote: Wed 29 Jun 2022 6:49pm

Grow a set

Discuss
When I was younger I grew a set of the former, but now that I am 53 and enjoy a cold beer, I seem to be growing a set of the latter. I should really start playing footy again, I'd be a sure thing.
Yeah Johno I have a similar problem I'm 59 & my body is pretty much shot back, hips ,shoulders ,knees so I doubt I could get on the park . The mind would be wiling but body nah :wink:

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintJohno wrote: Wed 29 Jun 2022 6:49pm

Grow a set

Discuss
Brings a new meaning to utility player.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

No one uses the term anymore
But what about the true tuck rover

Seeya
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 10:28pm Or he needs to be read the riot act

HTFU
Ah, the wisdom and wit of the local suburban footballing hack.

The same hack that spends endless time potting Hunter Clark for being 'insufficiently muscle defined', thereby claiming superior competitive performance traits for himself, vs a young fella who has had a bastard of a time staying on the park through f**k all fault of his own.

Jeez, how a fkn love 'burban mediocrities - they're so damn righteous.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I reckon King needs to stop leading to the pockets. It makes our attack indirect and he’s not a good enough kick to nail them even if he gets them.

Lockett used to do the same thing early days … but he could kick them.

When Baldock came back to coach us in 87? one of the first things he did was move Lockett to about 30 metres out - a position in between chf and ff. It gave him the option to lead up, drop back or lead left or right. All in all a hell of a lot more space in which to operate and a guaranteed easier shot at goal.

I’m not suggesting King is in anything like the same class, but it might be worth a shot,

But I think we got it right at times last night in considering all options presenting when going forward, not just King.

No point in kicking to a guy who has three opponents hanging off him. It’s not a percentage play.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Fri 01 Jul 2022 2:44pm No one uses the term anymore
But what about the true tuck rover
Never heard of one of them.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Grow a set

Discuss
Buddy staking his claim [NSFL]

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!