Sunny Ernie super thread -user banned>

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Re: Andrew Bassat

Sainternist wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 6:02pm We are all hurting from this month’s collapse, mate.

Mr. Bassat hasn’t been president for terribly long. During his time as president, he has seemed to be fairly competent at it. We shouldn’t be blaming him for all the inadequacies of the last decades. It is fair to say, however, that the current board needs some reshaping.
I hope you’re right about reshaping but I doubt it. I think we have to start again and rebuild the list. Anyone over 26 needs to be either delisted or traded out over the next 2 years. Grab as many draft picks as possible and use them at the draft. But the most important thing is we need to oust the current board and sign either Clarko or Bucks

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
happy feet
Club Player

SunnyErnie wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 5:54pm Obviously nobody agrees with me. That's ok but that just proves why we are the worst club in the history of the AFL. Double the wooden spoons of any other club and 1 flukey flag FFS.

I have had enough.
Off to Collingwood Ernie, they will love you and you will not be missed here.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
SunnyErnie
Club Player

happy feet wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 7:25pm
SunnyErnie wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 5:54pm Obviously nobody agrees with me. That's ok but that just proves why we are the worst club in the history of the AFL. Double the wooden spoons of any other club and 1 flukey flag FFS.

I have had enough.
What the hell is wrong with you hf? What is wrong with what I said?

NeXus
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 7:21pm
Sainternist wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 6:02pm We are all hurting from this month’s collapse, mate.

Mr. Bassat hasn’t been president for terribly long. During his time as president, he has seemed to be fairly competent at it. We shouldn’t be blaming him for all the inadequacies of the last decades. It is fair to say, however, that the current board needs some reshaping.
I hope you’re right about reshaping but I doubt it. I think we have to start again and rebuild the list. Anyone over 26 needs to be either delisted or traded out over the next 2 years. Grab as many draft picks as possible and use them at the draft. But the most important thing is we need to oust the current board and sign either Clarko or Bucks
Dispatching all of the mature-age players isn’t the way to go about rebuilding a team. You need at least a few for leadership. Anyway, rebuilding doesn’t seem like a financially viable option at this stage, with the club still balls deep in debt. It really isn’t as simple as that!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SunnyErnie
Club Player

Sainternist wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 7:46pm

Dispatching all of the mature-age players isn’t the way to go about rebuilding a team. You need at least a few for leadership. Anyway, rebuilding doesn’t seem like a financially viable option at this stage, with the club still balls deep in debt. It really isn’t as simple as that!
If we keep using our debt as a reason to not rebuild we will never be in a position to challenge for a flag. We cannot continue on our current path

NeXus
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

If Bassat re-signs the coach without at least testing the market as the wheels have fallen off then he and his Board are derelict in their duty
It’s commonsense- All knew Rattens real test would come second half of the season …..so they rush to re-sign him before that???
Incompetent
Now they’re backed into a corner and telling us he’s their man - without even SEEING what else is available in the market!???
Big clubs don’t do this - no wonder we have been a rabble

“Yeah….nah””
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 7:51pm

If we keep using our debt as a reason to not rebuild we will never be in a position to challenge for a flag. We cannot continue on our current path
Okay, supposing the club decides to batten down hatches and declare it a time to rebuild. Suddenly the memberships plummet, attendances go right down, we become irrelevant to the football world once again. Thus the debt accumulates and we have the AFL breathing down our necks. What then?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 7:55pm

Okay, supposing the club decides to batten down hatches and declare it a time to rebuild. Suddenly the memberships plummet, attendances go right down, we become irrelevant to the football world once again. Thus the debt accumulates and we have the AFL breathing down our necks. What then?
Right this minute we are in no man’s land
Nowhere near top 4 so not challenging
Not good enough for 7-8
We are sitting in the 10-12 bracket ….exactly where you don’t want to be with sides overtaking us fast
It’s like we have decided to have a bet each way on a few other club rejects aka Jones, Wood, Butler, Higgins, Crouch, Ryder, Lienert, Howard etc and been found wanting
No doubt a couple of those have been serviceable but at 34 Ryder ain’t taking us to our next flag and Howard looks like he’s battling to defend 1 out ….
Rest ….meh

“Yeah….nah””
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

If it does become clear Ratts is still the man a number of players need to think seriously about pulling their fingers out and also brushing up on basic skills. Otherwise...

SunnyErnie
Club Player

There is no point speculating what might happen if we do this or if we do that. I just know that if we continue down the path we are currently on we will never challenge. We have to do a proper full rebuild. Not a half arsed one where we just bring in mid aged players by overpaying in draft capital and in dollars value.

If the debt starts to get worse then we will just have to keep relying on the AFL and or playing games in Tassie and or NZ (not Cairns).

I think it has been proven beyond any doubt trying to backfill your list by trading in so called stars does not work. You need to become a top 4 team via the draft first and then use the Trade and Free Agency to fill in holes.

NeXus
happy feet
Club Player

SunnyErnie wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 7:44pm

I have had enough.
You said you have had enough. Well ok then, off you go. Don’t stay and be unhappy. You certainly clog this board up with nothing really insightful.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
SunnyErnie
Club Player

happy feet wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 9:20pm

I have had enough.
You said you have had enough. Well ok then, off you go. Don’t stay and be unhappy. You certainly clog this board up with nothing really insightful.
I don't even think you read my post so here it is again.......

There is no point speculating what might happen if we do this or if we do that. I just know that if we continue down the path we are currently on we will never challenge. We have to do a proper full rebuild. Not a half arsed one where we just bring in mid aged players by overpaying in draft capital and in dollars value.

If the debt starts to get worse then we will just have to keep relying on the AFL and or playing games in Tassie and or NZ (not Cairns).

I think it has been proven beyond any doubt trying to backfill your list by trading in so called stars does not work. You need to become a top 4 team via the draft first and then use the Trade and Free Agency to fill in holes.

NeXus
happy feet
Club Player

SunnyErnie wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 9:45pm
happy feet wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 9:20pm

I have had enough.
I don't even think you read my post so here it is again.......

I read it. I also read where you said ‘I have had enough’ , so if that’s the case why hang around here?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

This sums it up from BF

It was always going to be peak st kilda to publicly come out and say they're not interested in one of the greatest coaches of all time.

Just utter out and out tripe from the president again. He's had another s**t performance communicating with members two years in a row at the mid season break.

Seriously it's pathetic. At the end of 2020 he tells everyone we are going to be pushing for even better in 2021 after making finals and the bars been raised.

Mid season 2021 he tells us we were never challenging and 2022 was more the aim. That 2020 was a one off due to shortened qtrs and adapting to hub life better.

End of 2021 bridging the gap worked and we saw improvement. Ready to shake down 2022.

Mid season 2022. Everything's amazing. Great first half. Don't want clarkson because it's about a team effort. It's not about 1 senior coach. Ratten is amazing. Ratten will get extended.

So now what's going to happen? We extend ratten because of a season he said was a once off anomaly?

Extend a guy who probs misses finals.

I mean ffs. There is literally no expectation. The assessment on where the club is at is absolutely *in miles off. It's never right.

We might as well just used an automated chat bot to communicate what's happening.

“Yeah….nah””
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 8:13pm

Yeah, it’s almost as though we’re in a position of being damned if we do and damned if we don’t. To bring this club into top 4 contention seems like an incredible conundrum. Mind you, Melbourne found a way to do it and they were in the doldrums for a substantial stretch. I guess there is still hope for our club yet.

The Recruit
Club Player

We have a great list
But we need to draft and recruit well over the next two years

Out
Jones, Hanners, Ryder, Geary, Kent, Billings, Butler, Peris, fringe player, fringe player

In
Amon, FA Mid, Draft, Draft, Draft, Draft, Draft

Two years
With the assumption that player development and coaching is elite.

Problem will be our window will be 2-3years max. Often it’s 5-6.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

This is what Bassatt has said to members this year

As promising as the past few months have been, this is only a step forward for us and not the ultimate destination. Our efforts in the first half of the year will count for little if we do not go on with the job and return to finals football this year.

Time to put up or piss off

“Yeah….nah””
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 6:50pm I'd be reshaping the list at year's end, that's where the incompetence is, not in the offices at Moorabbin.
Why wait? Eat a bag of turds now and let's send half the team to the vfl and bring in youngsters...sure there's blow outs on the scoreboard but not much worse than getting flogged by a team in 15th....

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 7:54pm If Bassat re-signs the coach without at least testing the market as the wheels have fallen off then he and his Board are derelict in their duty
It’s commonsense- All knew Rattens real test would come second half of the season …..so they rush to re-sign him before that???
Incompetent
Now they’re backed into a corner and telling us he’s their man - without even SEEING what else is available in the market!???
Globally big clubs, small clubs, all clubs do exactly what we do...make guesstimated choices and hope for the best...my EPL club ManUtd rode high with Sir Alex for decades .....now we've had 7 coaches since 2013 and some given contracts after dismal seasons!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 5:28am
Teflon wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 7:54pm If Bassat re-signs the coach without at least testing the market as the wheels have fallen off then he and his Board are derelict in their duty
Incompetent
Globally big clubs, small clubs, all clubs do exactly what we do...make guesstimated choices and hope for the best...my EPL club ManUtd rode high with Sir Alex for decades .....now we've had 7 coaches since 2013 and some given contracts after dismal seasons!
Surely running a process makes sense - Pies did it?
Ratten hasn’t exactly smashed it out of the park ..

“Yeah….nah””
St Lenny
Club Player

Last AGM, Thomas tried to nominate his Dentist mate. The board nominated and approved Jason Blake. Yet us the members, didn't get to vote on that. In fact I can't remember the last time I was sent voting papers. No one said a word.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Should we go after Harris Andrews?

It’s obvious to me when Dougal gets injured we are in a lot of strife. If Andrews ever becomes available I would ask our top 10 paid players to take a 10% pay cut and the next 10 highest paid players to take a 7.5% pay cut. Then I would make Andrews an offer to good to refuse.

Any chance we could make this happen?

NeXus
happy feet
Club Player

Re: Should we go after Harris Andrews?

SunnyErnie wrote: Sun 03 Jul 2022 2:45pm It’s obvious to me when Dougal gets injured we are in a lot of strife. If Andrews ever becomes available I would ask our top 10 paid players to take a 10% pay cut and the next 10 highest paid players to take a 7.5% pay cut. Then I would make Andrews an offer to good to refuse.

No, not what is needed. As for your ridiculous notion of pay cuts, I’m a bit speechless. How to sew division in a club. Mind numbing stuff Ernie.

Darth Vader
Club Player

SunnyErnie wrote: Sun 03 Jul 2022 2:45pm It’s obvious to me when Dougal gets injured we are in a lot of strife. If Andrews ever becomes available I would ask our top 10 paid players to take a 10% pay cut and the next 10 highest paid players to take a 7.5% pay cut. Then I would make Andrews an offer to good to refuse.

Great idea but he has a surname for a first name so no good.

Suggest we ring up Weitering and ask him to come to us for nothing.

Saintly66
Club Player

Shut up you absolute plonker.