Billings just dissapoints me ..sorry to offend

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rubyjo
Club Player

Billings just dissapoints me ..sorry to offend

Just not up to it ..prove me wrong .

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: Billings just dissapoints me ..sorry to offend

Yep. He’s indicative as to why we’re a middling team. A poor man’s Tony Shaw. Kicks it about as far but not as accurately. Slightly quicker, but only slightly. Unlike Shae he’s weak as piss though and after 150 games he should be far better than what he is. The excuses made for him are nauseating. He’s simply a very average AFL footballer who has played far more poor games than half decent ones

Rubyjo
Club Player

I just don't see what he brings ...delist or trade but who would want him...massive dissapointment .

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Excuses running out for JB,
Just does not impact enough.
DMac preferred if available

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Excuses running out for JB,
Just does not impact enough.
DMac preferred if available

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Club Player

150 games tonight and can hardly think of a game that he has impacted on.
Not many players would have played 150 and had so little impact.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Sat 09 Jul 2022 11:04pm I just don't see what he brings ...delist or trade but who would want him...massive dissapointment .
If you want to see fury, witness the bomber supporters response when it was suggested we do a direct trade Billings for McGrath. Basically you hear the truth when a player potentially wants to come to your club. Either unbridled joy, indifference, or utter scepticism

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

He kicked 5 once

Lucky we drafted him, other clubs might not have been so forgiving

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

JB is a handy HFF how stupid were we to think he might be a midfielder . BM will tell you its the hardest position to play maybe that is why he hasn't lived up to expectation. I think even JB would be disappointed with his contribution tonight

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

At best, we would get a late second rounder for him
In a trade. That time has come and gone.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

JB is far more skilled than Byrnes but if it's a choice I would take Byrnes every time. Tries his heart out.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Sat 09 Jul 2022 10:21pm Just not up to it ..prove me wrong .
Both he and Gresham can look for another club IMO. Both would have reasonable trade value, so its time for the club to get ruthless and turn the list over.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Who was it that said Billings was always consistently good?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 09 Jul 2022 11:29pm JB is far more skilled than Byrnes but if it's a choice I would take Byrnes every time. Tries his heart out.
That's the problem people perceive he is more skilled but under pressure Billings is ordinary. I have never seen a guy of his 'purported talent' play so bereft of confidence. Its like watching a 18 yo first game kid, with him running around with his half baked efforts.

Its a real indictment on the club that this kid was once one of or highest paid - says a lot about our lack of expectations and past list management. If there is a reasonable trade offer its time he moves to another club...

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

At season's end maybe the Saints can hire Kenny to get rid of the poo on the list, i'm not sure the List manager can see it.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Walking out of the ground tonight I was trying to think of a player who’s managed 150 games who’s been more innocuous, largely invisible, underwhelming and just ‘meh’ as JB. I literally can’t think of one. If ever a player defined vanilla beige. JB just leaves me cold - neither love nor loathe him - I’m just completely dispassionate about him.

In a way - I feel bad for him. He clearly has talent - is a nice player and in one game was a match winner but has mainly been filling gaps in crap teams his whole career.

Drafted to an amateur hour club in a shithole location with poor to no development program. Can we really be surprised he’s the version of himself he is?

Go you red, black & white warriors
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 12:06am Walking out of the ground tonight I was trying to think of a player who’s managed 150 games who’s been more innocuous, largely invisible, underwhelming and just ‘meh’ as JB. I literally can’t think of one. If ever a player defined vanilla beige. JB just leaves me cold - neither love nor loathe him - I’m just completely dispassionate about him.

In a way - I feel bad for him. He clearly has talent - is a nice player and in one game was a match winner but has mainly been filling gaps in crap teams his whole career.

Drafted to an amateur hour club in a shithole location with poor to no development program. Can we really be surprised he’s the version of himself he is?
I think Fiora played 164 games or something? Early draft pick, soft, but raking left footer. Lots of similarities except the raking left foot

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Moods wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 12:12am
Saintmatt wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 12:06am Walking out of the ground tonight I was trying to think of a player who’s managed 150 games who’s been more innocuous, largely invisible, underwhelming and just ‘meh’ as JB. I literally can’t think of one. If ever a player defined vanilla beige. JB just leaves me cold - neither love nor loathe him - I’m just completely dispassionate about him.

I think Fiora played 164 games or something? Early draft pick, soft, but raking left footer. Lots of similarities except the raking left foot
Similarity in that better players were drafted before them. Fiora/na did have some skills to excite - was a fair high mark and a great kick … can’t remember JB as either.

JB is genuinely courageous but, he’s a cream on the cake guy but, you first need the cake. He’s not a cake-baker

Go you red, black & white warriors
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

IMO we did not recruit him at pick 3 to be a handy HFF but after 8 years we have a handy HFF & we have pick 7 & 8 in the system for 5 years as well & we have 2 handy HBF's as well 😉

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Just looked at the numbers

JB had 18 and 90 odd ranking points

Not sure his role, but doesn’t seem like he was the reason we lost

Nas had 14 as a Winger
Windhager had 7 as a HFF

I know they are kids, but you’ve still got to get it done.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 1:02am Just looked at the numbers

Nas had 14 as a Winger
Windhager had 7 as a HFF

As you stated they are kids in their first year it's JB's 150 th not sure you can compare them ATM but you are on the money none of them got it done not even the bloke with 90 ranking points but hey he was playing in the hardest position on the ground so we have cut him some slack if only Ratt's could have had pulled on a jumper but then we wouldn't have a couch or he could be Jezza a playing coach but hey you don't need a coach players play for them selves & the money & what ever else you said .Obviously I havent played at your level or even pretend to know what it's like to be an elite but hey I'm just a supporter disillusioned with our current situation

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Nas had 14 as a Winger
Windhager had 7 as a HFF

So
youre saying he played well?
I dont care what the stats say, my eyes tell me he was poor. Can’t think of one piece of play where I thought, yeah, nice Jack. He NEVER spots up difficult kicks, wins difficult one on one’s, kicks goals when we need them. He just kicks down the line 40m, often skinnying the ball so it goes too low. If Billings tries to take the game on he invariably stuffs it up, so now he plays safe and just doesn’t have an impact . Jack is slow for his size ( or definitely not quick) and his ability to mark overhead appears to have deserted him.
him. like mav Wellar before him, hes become a nothing player.

In comparison, I thought Wilkie had an off night tonight, but I never question his effort.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Have you ever played HF?

In front of the footy, but the ball isn’t generally funnelled through you!

Often called starvation corner

Guess what the easiest position on the ground is?
You guessed it - HB

If you know the game you can understand why

Go through all AFL stay at home HFs - very hard to be consistently involved. Look at Windhager (guessing he played HF?) he touched it 7 times

Look at Ben Longs disposal numbers.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

The suggestion that Billings was a significant factor in our loss to Freo is ludicrous.

If the guy had been taken at pick 30, way behind the Bont, he wouldn’t be a target of fans.

Lots of early draft picks don’t work out. JB is an early draft pick who has turned out to be a reasonable quality AFL player who has played 150 games. He’s never going to be a superstar, but we could have done a lot worse.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Nas had 14 as a Winger
Windhager had 7 as a HFF

It’s a good point. Yet you wouldn’t find a poster on SS or Big Farty who’d want to see either NWM or Windhager dropped for the next game.

Yet most of the same posters didn’t want to see Ratten re-signed until the end of the season because they wanted pressure on him to perform.

It seems to me that most footy fans seem to want their club to produce miracles, and simply lash out when this doesn’t happen.

I have always looked for our club to adopt a steady, long-term approach towards achieving success. GT has this philosophy, but the board lashed out and got rid of him and the long-term approach fell apart. Geelong persisted with it and look how they went.

Now the current admin and coach are trying to do something similar. I sincerely hope the board can refrain from lashing out again. I know what the fans would do if they could.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift