St Kilda's Cunning Plan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda's Cunning Plan

Get to 8-3

Prove we can do it to Amon and de goey

Look at the opposition - see if we compete with them - ie Our Best v Their Best
See we do not
Tank

Finish 13th
Get a 'softer' draw for 2023

Bring home the Cup!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: St Kilda's Cunning Plan

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022 1:03pm Get to 8-3

Prove we can do it to Amon and de goey

Look at the opposition - see if we compete with them - ie Our Best v Their Best
See we do not
Tank

Finish 13th
Get a 'softer' draw for 2023

Bring home the Cup!
We'll most likely muck that gift up as well.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
darylcowie
Club Player

We don't need to tank to finish 13th, because we aren't much good, but West Coast will be motivated to tank for pick 1 after the Roos great win yesterday.

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

"cunning"(?) "plan"(?) just when can THOSE two words be used in any sentence concerning St Kilda football club???

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda's (ahem) "plan"............ RINSE AND REPEAT??????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Just watching the eagles and hawks
gee would great to have a player like that McEvoy bloke

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022 4:31pm Just watching the eagles and hawks

YEAH....... whatever happened to "old who's it" that replaced Big Boy? Gee our footy department did well for us there! (RINSE AND REPEAT RINSE AND REPEAT RINSE AND REPEAT!)

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It’s funny how with Ben McEvoy, he never wanted to leave the Saints, but the Saints shoved him out

It’s also funny (but tragic) that we might find the reverse happening shortly….What if some of the young talent we currently have on our list starts looking to move? How would you feel if you were a young player and you’re hearing that Amon and possibly De Goey are coming to your club?

Maybe that’s part of the problem with a lot of our players. They are down in confidence because they are constantly hearing from the Footy boss Lethlean and from the President of the club that the list isn’t good enough. They are probably thinking their spot in the seniors is under threat

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re talking to their managers to find a better run club who perhaps is more interested in developing a squad instead of trying to import free agents and cheat their way up the ladder.

The recruiting has improved in recent years, but I think we have a situation where we have too many imports in the squad and poor connection between the group. The hub situation in 2020 was an artificial environment and it suited our slapped together moneyball list. They were forced to be connected and it was probably a bit of a novelty for guys who hadn’t known each other that well.

Now that the team is back in Melbourne and they only see each other at work, I don’t think we have a team as united or connected.

Whether it’s poor leadership or whether it’s major issues of player development, game plan or simply coaching in general at the club I’m not sure. Maybe it’s natural that teams take a while to gel and play together. E.g Jeremy Cameron seems to have taken a couple of years to settle into a squad at Geelong and the players took a while to get used to his leading patterns and having another KPF alongside Hawkins.

In any case, I think we won’t be a top 4 team next year just by bringing in DeGoey and Amon. We have other home grown issues that need fixing first. I think we need to rebuild this squad and go back a few notches to get some high draft picks. Would love to see Saints playing finals in 2023, but I’m more interested in sustainable success and a better run football club all round
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 17 Jul 2022 5:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022 4:29pm "cunning"(?) "plan"(?) just when can THOSE two words be used in any sentence concerning St Kilda football club???
The reference is to Baldrick in Black Adder - never did one of his Cunning Plans come to fruition.
https://blackadderquotes.com/i-have-a-cunning-plan

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022 5:09pm
It’s funny how with Ben McEvoy, he never wanted to leave the Saints, but the Saints shoved him out

It’s also funny (but tragic) that we might find the reverse happening shortly….What if some of the young talent we currently have on our list starts looking to move? How would you feel if you were a young player and you’re hearing that Amon and possibly De Goey are coming to your club?

Maybe that’s part of the problem with a lot of our players. They are down in confidence because they are constantly hearing from the Footy boss Lethlean and from the President of the club that the list isn’t good enough. They are probably thinking their spot in the seniors is under threat

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re talking to their managers to find a better run club who perhaps is more interested in developing a squad instead of trying to import free agents and cheat their way up the ladder.

The recruiting has improved in recent years, but I think we have a situation where we have too many imports in the squad and poor connection between the group. The hub situation in 2020 was an artificial environment and it suited our slapped together moneyball list. They were forced to be connected and it was probably a bit of a novelty for guys who hadn’t known each other that well.

Now that the team is back in Melbourne and they only see each other at work, I don’t think we have a team as united or connected.

Whether it’s poor leadership or whether it’s major issues of player development, game plan or simply coaching in general at the club I’m not sure. Maybe it’s natural that teams take a while to gel and play together. E.g Jeremy Cameron seems to have taken a couple of years to settle into a squad at Geelong and the players took a while to get used to his leading patterns and having another KPF alongside Hawkins.

In any case, I think we won’t be a top 4 team next year just by bringing in DeGoey and Amon. We have other home grown issues that need fixing first. I think we need to rebuild this squad and go back a few notches to get some high draft picks. Would love to see Saints playing finals in 2023, but I’m more interested in sustainable success and a better run football club all round
Look no further than Sharman. In his presser Ratten said he'd put Sharman in the backline because he had to find a position for him, he's such a talented player. What -- just not in our dysfunctional forward line with a bunch of players who can't kick straight?

Who would blame Sharman if he requests a trade to some club willling to play him where he belongs?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022 5:17pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022 5:09pm

Look no further than Sharman. In his presser Ratten said he'd put Sharman in the backline because he had to find a position for him, he's such a talented player. What -- just not in our dysfunctional forward line with a bunch of players who can't kick straight?

Who would blame Sharman if he requests a trade to some club willling to play him where he belongs?
So they have given up on him being a forward?? :shock:

Kid has played 10 games and they have come to the conclusion that he is talented but just not in the forwardline where he has shown he can kick goals

Crikey .... there were clear signs that our coaching group were a little clueless .... but that just nailed it

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Mayne it’s a case of Forwards coach sees Ryder, Marshall, King, and Membrey as the main talls and he didn’t want to change that.

Fowrwards coach has also shown a penchant for Higgins, Billings, and Butler as the preferred pressure smalls.

Since we recruited Higgins, Butler has suffered and the team has suffered. The combo is not working. I’d have Cooper, King and Membrey with Butler, Long and Gresh there permanently. Let them settle and let them own their positions.

I would throw Higgins out completely and I’d play Billings only if he takes angry pills and starts learning how to win his own footy, plus use the two NGA guys in Owens and Windy there at times

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Well....if you're not a genuine contender ( we weren't at the start of the year and we knew it), then getting pick 7 in the draft rather than pick 11 might help a wee bit.

We need any advantage we can get at this year's draft. It's pretty damn crucial

asiu
Saintsational Legend

... then getting pick 7 in the draft rather than pick 11 might help a wee bit.

We need any advantage we can get at this year's draft. It's pretty damn crucial
talking my lingo here

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

My plan is as cunning as a fox that has just been appointed professor of cunning at Oxford University.

Satan saying we had overachieved heading into the bye was plain genius.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Do we really need a player like Karl Amon?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!