Game Plan - Two Loose Men theory

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Templar
Club Player

Game Plan - Two Loose Men theory

My footy qualifications are strictly limited to being a keen observer and long suffering supporter.

But from a tactical perspective I can't stop thinking about our forward structure and failed effective passes to King inside 50.

Is the solution as simple as pointing out to the rest of the team that if Max has three opponents on him that it means we have two loose men free and to look for them?

Let Max draw two or three defenders and exploit the loose fwds that this scenario creates.

It's basic math and creates opportunity. And when the opposition cotton on to the exploit it will free up Max leaving him one out instead of being three on one.

Too simplistic or worth emphasising in tactic sessions?

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Game Plan - Two Loose Men theory

You would think this would be something the 18 coaches down at the club could exploit in some way, only been happening for about 2 years… 🤦‍♂️

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

the 2 loose men are generally behind the ball and to prevent quick turnover transition, or they are lazy loose rolling up or down guarding space.

cps
Club Player

The two loose players might not be in the forward line (as RL pointed out). Also, if they move into the F50 then they fill space and can also drag opposition players in with them.

Templar
Club Player

Rather than fill space the unmarked players should move into space unopposed. Let their defenders crowd around Max and take the advantage.

I dont know but it seems obvious to me (as an uninformed observer)

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

What do the two loose men say?

Yours....

Templar
Club Player

Wave hands around?