Marshall

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Marshall

Again proves my theory

Plays his best as the No 1 ruckman - in fact is ordinary otherwise

His last month has been awesome

Bring in Campbell as the No1 (who played well) and play Marshall forward - he is almost ineffective

Marshall is a gun ruckman, an average forward

Blind Freddy can see that!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Marshall

Today

Marshall was poor

Not suited to playing forward and backing up in the ruck

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

You can say that again.

Again.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

No doubt Marshall has played his best football in the ruck.

I think today was an attempt to take some pressure off Max King by having another strong contested player in the forward line alongside him. There’s a reason they are called key positions. Structurally they are important.

And yes, ruck is also a key position in the sense of key meaning very important. I thought Campbell filled it quite capably.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

But Marshall has almost been BOG for a month

Today was bog average, even poor!

Too good a player to be stuck deep forward not getting a kick

Ruckmen generally make average forwards

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 12:06am But Marshall has almost been BOG for a month. Too good a player to be stuck deep forward not getting a kick
Yeah I get that. I think it was an attempt to fix the structure of a forward half that has been dysfunctional the entire second half of tne season.

King got off the leash and wasn’t swamped by three or four defenders every time we went forward, so to that extent it worked.

I don’t know who gets the role of second key forward next season. Maybe Hayes. But it has to be addressed. It cost us big time this season. Needs to be a priority.

groupie1
Club Player

Agreed. We found the key to midfield-forward connection success at the second half of last season and opposition figured out how to stop it: body work on King to prevent him running and launching. A second legitimate tall target is critical, and unless they have plans of finding a FA who does that, I'd expect to see Hayes take on that role. Add Da Goey for some unpredictability and we could sort this issue out. Defensive 6s against the Saints look too safe. We've been worked out.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 12:28am Agreed. We found the key to midfield-forward connection success at the second half of last season and opposition figured out how to stop it: body work on King to prevent him running and launching. A second legitimate tall target is critical, and unless they have plans of finding a FA who does that, I'd expect to see Hayes take on that role. Add Da Goey for some unpredictability and we could sort this issue out. Defensive 6s against the Saints look too safe. We've been worked out.
If Collingwood can dump Brodie Grundy (and therefore free up salary cap) they'll be looking to keep De Goey

Hayes can definitely play the role, but so can our swingman - Sharman.

I'd love to see Cooper play consecutive games in a row on the forward line. Cooper just needs to want it badly enough. Work on his fitness and work hard on bulking up

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 2:45am
groupie1 wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 12:28am Agreed. We found the key to midfield-forward connection success at the second half of last season and opposition figured out how to stop it: body work on King to prevent him running and launching. A second legitimate tall target is critical, and unless they have plans of finding a FA who does that, I'd expect to see Hayes take on that role. Add Da Goey for some unpredictability and we could sort this issue out. Defensive 6s against the Saints look too safe. We've been worked out.
If Collingwood can dump Brodie Grundy (and therefore free up salary cap) they'll be looking to keep De Goey

I'd love to see Cooper play consecutive games in a row on the forward line. Cooper just needs to want it badly enough. Work on his fitness and work hard on bulking up
The kid has some promise if he can develop a tank, but to me he’s more a Membrey type. Your third tall.

I think the role needs a big, strong body.

Someone who can crash packs and go body to body with defenders. Someone with good endurance. A power forward or as close as we can get to one.

Part of his role would be to ensure that King isn’t being mauled by two or three opponents. A sort of a minder.

But let’s see how Sharman develops. He may surprise.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 3:35am
Scollop wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 2:45am

The kid has some promise if he can develop a tank, but to me he’s more a Membrey type. Your third tall.

I think the role needs a big, strong body.

Someone who can crash packs and go body to body with defenders. Someone with good endurance. A power forward or as close as we can get to one.

Part of his role would be to ensure that King isn’t being mauled by two or three opponents. A sort of a minder.

But let’s see how Sharman develops. He may surprise.
This bloke comes out of contract next year

https://www.afl.com.au/news/523879/peter-wright-to-dons

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Maybe in a game that didn't matter they tried something else today to reduce the load off Marshall lessening the chance for a late season injury .... reckon you will find he has been playing sore all season

Also didn't mind Campbell today ..... probably should have played a few more games this year ..... reckon he is worth keeping on for another ..... as back up

With Paddy retiring we still need to find another ruck though
Last edited by Devilhead on Mon 22 Aug 2022 5:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Marshall definitely plays his best footy when he is the No 1 ruckman. As BM has mentioned for a guy who wanted to play as a key forward, his stationary over head marking is pretty average as is his forward craft. He is a much better mark when he is allowed room to move into the marks (around the ground).

Club Player

needs to learn how to handball, not just swing the boot at the ball.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
St Lenny
Club Player

I personally don't think Marshall has had a great year, only in patches. But I give him grace as he has had his leg in a brace every game this year.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Marshall is the No.1 ruck and that's where he's at his best. He is not a key forward. We need to develop Sharman as a forward. Campbell appears a good solid back up for Marshall if needed.

Killa
Club Player

Marshall competes in ruck contests body to body.

Where his real advantage is is his ability to win a contested ball and to then put it on his foot (including at around the ground and boundary throw ins).

He also has good marking ability.

And he is mobile.

So, for a big man, he has some unique footballing skills (a bit like Hickey whose real advantage apart from his left hand in ruck contests is his follow up work including around the ground).

So you really want Marshall where the ball is.

And rucking feeds into that.

Allowing Marshall to decide where he is going to go (noting team patterns).

He can also do this from the key outer attacking position - and any presence in the F50 means sides have to defend him along with defending King (hence the plus for St Kilda FC and the 22 it puts on the park).

Marshall has spent much of 2022 playing under duress - so now to get him as fit as ahead of 2023.

Fully fit, he should be right in AA contention as the St Kilda elite player.

IF Heath can come on next season as a developing replica of Marshall, then we have the best of both worlds.

Heath had a "chop out" from Carey for Sandringham yesterday where I am told he performed well against a credentialed Ruckman with AFL experience.

As did Bytel, Peris, Connolly and Allison.

The only other St Kilda Listed player for Sandringham yesterday was Joyce, who did what he had to do.

Killa
Club Player

And, just to add, Sharman is 193cm and 85kg's

Compare that to the key forwards around the competition.

Including King at St Kilda

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Sharman is not a key forwards A-Hole

He’s not even close to as good as Membrey as a third forward!

We need a bullock forward - perhaps Josh Bruce would be alright?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 7:02pm Sharman is not a key forwards A-Hole

He’s not even close to as good as Membrey as a third forward!

We need a bullock forward - perhaps Josh Bruce would be alright?
I think Hayes might go OK. If he can get a six pack going. His fat arse was missed when he went down.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Agreed

He needs to go from State League player fitness

To

Elite level fitness required for AFL

Which you can do easily as a full time athlete

He is most probably a good back up option more than a starting 18 player

But you never know

Saintmike65
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 21 Aug 2022 9:11pm Again proves my theory

Plays his best as the No 1 ruckman - in fact is ordinary otherwise

His last month has been awesome

Bring in Campbell as the No1 (who played well) and play Marshall forward - he is almost ineffective

Marshall is a gun ruckman, an average forward

Blind Freddy can see that!

Reckon there’s a few blind Freddy’s at the club!!

repta
Club Player

He is still young. Dont really want his body bashed up too quickly.
We have very little in the way of a backup with Ryder gone. The alternatives are just rucks and cant play anywhere else.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Marshall needs to get his body right in the off-season. He has been hampered with niggling foot and leg injuries since the start of 2021.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Swans are top three side, nearly made top 2.
It has a great defensive set up with Rampe and the McCartin bros. One made the AA squad. They are well supported with their half backs and defensive mids one or two being quite large.
Judging Rowan's performance against them needs to be in that context. I imagine without Rowan to keep them all busy we could easily have been beaten by 10 goals. Instead we could have won, but that's not our thing lately.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 24 Aug 2022 11:10am Swans are top three side, nearly made top 2.
It has a great defensive set up with Rampe and the McCartin bros. One made the AA squad. They are well supported with their half backs and defensive mids one or two being quite large.
Judging Rowan's performance against them needs to be in that context. I imagine without Rowan to keep them all busy we could easily have been beaten by 10 goals. Instead we could have won, but that's not our thing lately.
Wasn't impressed with either McCartin boys on the weekend,

King kicked 5 goals and Tom had two possessions FFS. Gerry, I didn't notice except for when he lost his temper sticking up for his little bro.

If Higgins could kick straight.........