Howard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Howard

The_Dud wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 11:21am Put Wilkie's brain in Howards body and you'd have a superstar.
Granted he isnt the smartest footballer going around, but there is no excuse for his continued lack of effort!!

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sun 21 Aug 2022 10:00pm Clearly been taken over by Wilkie as our number 1 defender.

People just look at his size and give him a pass. Gets beaten in too many one-on-ones, plays too loose on his opponents, gets lost in no man’s land too often.

And he’s always looking around for someone to blame.
Agreed, I feel like we are only working out now what Port knew 4 years ago.

He's elite at spoiling but that's his only good attribute as a defender.

older saint
SS Life Member

Actually wonder if he rushed back, with thinking a 3/4 fit Howard better than a Joyce and highlights a huge hole int he list IMO

saynta
Saintsational Legend

On current form, I would say that Joyce is the better all round footballer and probably a better bet at fullback than Howard who had a very ordinary year.

Sanctorum
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 1:36pm On current form, I would say that Joyce is the better all round footballer and probably a better bet at fullback than Howard who had a very ordinary year.
That's a big call on Joyce saynta, I'm not sure there is any real evidence that Joyce has the credentials to claim the full back job over Howard. No question that Howard has had an ordinary season but in fact St Kilda's defence in the first 11 games was overall one of the best in the comp and it's the lack of quality in midfield and poor conversion from forward 50s that has been mostly responsible for the post bye slump. That's how I see it anyway.

In the post season wash-up I feel sure Howard will be told to work on several aspects of his game, and it's far too soon to give up on him.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
stkfc1
Club Player

Don't think he's 100% and being the last game of the year, with no real consequence, didn't go at 100%. I hate the finger pointing though, as he's far from perfect. Needs to cut the s*** out. I'd be snapping right back if I was another defender he was pointing at. Needs to check himself. Was serviceable but not a great year. We are desperate for another KPD with real height. Wilkie and Battle are great but give away too much in cm's.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 1:53pm
saynta wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 1:36pm On current form, I would say that Joyce is the better all round footballer and probably a better bet at fullback than Howard who had a very ordinary year.
That's a big call on Joyce saynta, I'm not sure there is any real evidence that Joyce has the credentials to claim the full back job over Howard. No question that Howard has had an ordinary season but in fact St Kilda's defence in the first 11 games was overall one of the best in the comp and it's the lack of quality in midfield and poor conversion from forward 50s that has been mostly responsible for the post bye slump. That's how I see it anyway.

In the post season wash-up I feel sure Howard will be told to work on several aspects of his game, and it's far too soon to give up on him.
I have been watching Joyce all year playing for Sandy. He has plated well.

I remember a Saints official once telling me that the Irish regarded him as their Chris Judd,

I know he hasn't lived up to that hype but at least he always has a red hot dip and no-one could say he was ever disinterested.

Can't say the same about Howard.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

In the match highlights on AFL app, Swans first goal shows Howard in goal square with hands on hips, not picking up any Swans, hoping for the ball to come out to him.
He was disappointing in that bit.
Poor effort. Very poor

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Howard had an ordinary game, I wouldn't say it was horrendous. We missed him when he wasn't there. Dougal is the least of our problems.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

On the contrary

He’s our number 1 defender who is 199cm

And he’s playing like a medium zone off HB with no nuts!!!

That’s a major issue

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Both Howard & Battle had shockers thank god for Wilkie

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Battle has been carrying an injury

Seemed hampered the last few weeks

Killa
Club Player

Older Saint is on the money.

But, in normal times, the exploitation of the lack of height in the St Kilda defence (Battle 193 cm and 92 kg's and Wilkie 191cm and 88kg's) sees Howard needing to "read" where he has to defend this height deficiency.

So dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn't

Howard goes to where he sees the risk.

And can get caught out accordingly, including by initially defending the "wrong" player or grouping of players.

You are only ever as good as the side you play in, and another KPP defender will assist Howard.

His form when we had Carlisle was what it was.

His "form" has dropped off since Carlisle's back saw him where it saw him.

It is no coincidence.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Did he play much with Carlisle?

I think it’s a cop out

His job is to beat his man… like Wilkie does

If he had half the nuts of Wilkie he’d be a gun.

Killa
Club Player

BM, your contributions to this site, passing your summary opinions on players, is noted.

And rejected.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

By who?

You??

SFW

Saintmike65
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sun 21 Aug 2022 10:00pm Clearly been taken over by Wilkie as our number 1 defender.

People just look at his size and give him a pass. Gets beaten in too many one-on-ones, plays too loose on his opponents, gets lost in no man’s land too often.

And he’s always looking around for someone to blame.

Port supporters weren’t upset losing Howard, describing him as ‘flakey’.
Wilkie has been our best defender since he started!

Killa
Club Player

Howard’s reasons for departing Alberton have not been made known - but are (or were) the subject of supporter rumour at Alberton, mostly incorrect

He left Port Adelaide for personal reasons - and Port Adelaide did not want to lose him but accepted his reasons after a period of failing to address the issues

During this period he found himself playing in the SANFL (in attack where he had also been tried at AFL level in an attempt to see him again enjoying playing his footy)

The stories of him being upset at playing in attack were not correct - this had nothing to do with his decision to leave

Remember that he Captained Port Adelaide, with only a few games experience

As the other key defender was Jonas who played at Norwood as a defensive flanker before being Drafted as a mature age recruit, Howard’s 199cm and spoiling ability was required at Port Adelaide

Yes he is intense - but that is a requirement to succeed at the level

As with King at the other end of the ground, he needs quality KPP support (there currently being a dearth of such players hence the work being put into Adams - from Glenelg Under 18’s - and Heath)

There are others to look at apart from Howard

Look at the experienced players on our List as a start point

I would suggest that Carlton delisting Newnes needs to be the template for St Kilda and particularly as we wound wish to see Windhager and Owens getting midfield time in 2023

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Howard is known as the Scarecrow in our house.
He tries to look menacing, arms are always out pointing at others, generally ineffective and has no brain.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 8:06pm BM, your contributions to this site, passing your summary opinions on players, is noted.

And rejected.
:lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
chook23
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 7:42pm I reckon Battle has been carrying an injury

Seemed hampered the last few weeks
had a screw put in his ankle this week

saint4life
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 3:07pm

I remember a Saints official once telling me that the Irish regarded him as their Chris Judd,

I know he hasn't lived up to that hype but at least he always has a red hot dip and no-one could say he was ever disinterested.

Like any draftee, you need to instill confidence in a player and provide multiple opportunities for a player to believe that he belongs in the best 22.

Why would we draft players like Darragh Joyce who needed development and needed AFL games experience when we had no commitment to actually give him a fair run of consecutive games? I don’t think we ever did that with Joyce. We let him down and we wasted the talent and the asset in our hands

Take for example the recruitment of Nathan Brown

I’ve got nothing against Nathan and from all the reports he was a great person and fitted in well with the team, but I strongly believe it was the wrong decision from Richo to bring in a guy who was close to the end of his career, when we were no where near being top 4 contenders.

We looked close to making finals in 2016, but we didn’t actually make finals. We also had about 4-5 guys who were staring retirement in the eye at that time, so development and youth should have been the priority. It was a selfish decision based on the short term needs of the head coach and some of his senior players who were desperate to try and sneak into finals for 2017.

In 2016 Brown was struggling to secure his position as a defender in the Collingwood side and they were playing him in the VFL. Brown was a player who was average and had no upside. He had no flair or run or any capacity to take the game on. He was just a stopper. Darragh on the other hand was someone in 2017 with unlimited upside and had the tools to learn the defensive side of the game as well as be an attacking and creative player from the back half.

If we can’t entice a couple of free agents to come to St Kilda during the upcoming trade period, I firmly believe we need to go backwards for a few years (starting in 2023) and provide as much opportunity to our youth and developing players as possible. That includes having a guy like Bytel playing in the middle and telling guys like Steele, Crouch and Seb Ross to sacrafice their own individual game for significant chunks of the season

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 8:01pm Did he play much with Carlisle?

I think it’s a cop out

His job is to beat his man… like Wilkie does

If he had half the nuts of Wilkie he’d be a gun.
Howard has to cover shorter defenders when the ball comes in long. He at times has to zone off to cover multiple outcomes.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Killa wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 8:06pm BM, your contributions to this site, passing your summary opinions on players, is noted.

And rejected.
? WTF

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Saints58
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 01 Sep 2022 7:04am
saynta wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 3:07pm

Like any draftee, you need to instill confidence in a player and provide multiple opportunities for a player to believe that he belongs in the best 22.

Why would we draft players like Darragh Joyce who needed development and needed AFL games experience when we had no commitment to actually give him a fair run of consecutive games? I don’t think we ever did that with Joyce. We let him down and we wasted the talent and the asset in our hands

Take for example the recruitment of Nathan Brown

I’ve got nothing against Nathan and from all the reports he was a great person and fitted in well with the team, but I strongly believe it was the wrong decision from Richo to bring in a guy who was close to the end of his career, when we were no where near being top 4 contenders.

We looked close to making finals in 2016, but we didn’t actually make finals. We also had about 4-5 guys who were staring retirement in the eye at that time, so development and youth should have been the priority. It was a selfish decision based on the short term needs of the head coach and some of his senior players who were desperate to try and sneak into finals for 2017.

In 2016 Brown was struggling to secure his position as a defender in the Collingwood side and they were playing him in the VFL. Brown was a player who was average and had no upside. He had no flair or run or any capacity to take the game on. He was just a stopper. Darragh on the other hand was someone in 2017 with unlimited upside and had the tools to learn the defensive side of the game as well as be an attacking and creative player from the back half.

If we can’t entice a couple of free agents to come to St Kilda during the upcoming trade period, I firmly believe we need to go backwards for a few years (starting in 2023) and provide as much opportunity to our youth and developing players as possible. That includes having a guy like Bytel playing in the middle and telling guys like Steele, Crouch and Seb Ross to sacrafice their own individual game for significant chunks of the season
The only problem with your post is that the club is looking to trade our young guys like bytel, Clark, Gresham, long and rumour has it we have talked to Tom Mitchel's people another 29 year old so maybe the recruiters don't get it.
I did like Joyce he was starting to dominate the VFL and he needed consistent games in the AFL especially when Dougal went down then Battle as well perfect opportunity but no faith in him I guess.
Especially as we don't have a lot of KPP at the club.