Sinclair all Australian

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Re: Sinclair all Australian

SaintPav wrote: Wed 24 Aug 2022 11:41pm Sam Taylor must have had a great season.
He did. deserves his spot

CarlD
Club Player

Well done Jack! A fitting reward for a top class season.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 8:55am
D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 8:29am
CURLY wrote: Wed 24 Aug 2022 10:56pm Mills and Heeney making the AA team what a magnificent gift the AFL has awarded the battling Sydney.
Do you ever get tired of moaning?
Were you bitching when we were gifted #2 in 2000 and #5 in 2001 as priority picks & used the pre-season draft as a way to extract rival teams players?
Priority picks are available to all teams as are father sons. Getting gifted top 3 talent simply because they live in the stae is ridiculous.
So I guess your answer is ..."No, I never get tired of bitching and moaning and complaining the whole football world is bias against the club I support".

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair is probably the most skillful player we have had in a long time
who have we had that has his skills recently ?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 4:50pm
CURLY wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 8:55am
D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 8:29am
CURLY wrote: Wed 24 Aug 2022 10:56pm Mills and Heeney making the AA team what a magnificent gift the AFL has awarded the battling Sydney.
Do you ever get tired of moaning?
Were you bitching when we were gifted #2 in 2000 and #5 in 2001 as priority picks & used the pre-season draft as a way to extract rival teams players?
Priority picks are available to all teams as are father sons. Getting gifted top 3 talent simply because they live in the stae is ridiculous.
So I guess your answer is ..."No, I never get tired of bitching and moaning and complaining the whole football world is bias against the club I support".
Following the Saints will do that to people. Unfortunately for Curly it has affected him more than most.

Some gain hope and determination from defeat...Curly has opted for the "it's the world against us approach" each to their own but his path is based on fantasy

Hopefully you can join the rest of us sooner than later Curly . Thumbs up.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

The Fireman wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 7:24pm Sinclair is probably the most skillful player we have had in a long time
I reckon Hunter Clark's got the goods if he puts in the work. I hope the rumours about him getting traded are wrong.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 7:24pm Sinclair is probably the most skillful player we have had in a long time
bradley hill has him covered.
scratch that.
had him covered.
then he came to us.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 7:57pm
scratch that.
had him covered.
then he came to us.
so here's the conundrum ... how has Sincs not lost his skills under this coaching regime where others have ??? lets bottle it
so preempting a Vortex question "who has lot them under Ratts"

Butler
Higgins
Paton
howard
Gresham
anyone want to add ?

Banger9798
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 8:05pm
desertsaint wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 7:57pm
scratch that.
had him covered.
then he came to us.
so here's the conundrum ... how has Sincs not lost his skills under this coaching regime where others have ??? lets bottle it
so preempting a Vortex question "who has lot them under Ratts"

Butler
Higgins
Paton
howard
Gresham
anyone want to add ?

I remember Coffield having good skills early on, and then started butchering it, and only started to regain his efficiency at the end of last year.

Wilkie has maintained his disposal reliability.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair isn’t the most skillful. He’s built hard work into his game and everything we love about aussie rules. He’s courageous, he’s hard, he’s got a lovely side step, he competes well in the air and he defends well too.

I think Sincs needs to thank Ratts for not moving him into the midfield too much this year, because I highly doubt he would have earned All Australian honours competing for a midfield role….Bont and Libba very stiff to have missed. In fact there are rumours that he’s carved into a tree on the outer at Moorabbin: Sincs 4 Ratts 4 eva

Clark hasn’t got the endurance or the speed of Sincs but he is a beautiful kick on both sides

Hill is definitely the most skilled when it comes to long 40-50 m weighted kicks.

Steele has him covered on overall skill especially one on one marking ability and Steele is also a great kick to a team mate or taking a set shot for goal. I’d love to know what Steeley’s percentage rate is for goals to behinds. I reckon he’d be elite.

The other one that you can’t discount for skills is our big Maxy. Not only his kicking on both feet and his skyscraper height marking but also his speed, and his ability to swoop on a loose ground ball is also pretty handy.
Last edited by Scollop on Thu 25 Aug 2022 10:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

top 10 in stats for the afl in:

Kicks
disposals
effective disposals
intercepts

Has had a very good season

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 10:11pm top 10 in stats for the afl in:

Kicks
disposals
effective disposals
intercepts

Has had a very good season
Could have posed a very solid argument for inclusion last season.
The selectors seem to want a could of AA seasons before you are rewarded with a Blazer.
Fair enough, as long as they are consistent.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 10:08pm Sinclair isn’t the most skillful. He’s built hard work into his game and everything we love about aussie rules. He’s courageous, he’s hard, he’s got a lovely side step, he competes well in the air and he defends well too.

I think Sincs needs to thank Ratts for not moving him into the midfield too much this year, because I highly doubt he would have earned All Australian honours competing for a midfield role….Bont and Libba very stiff to have missed. In fact there are rumours that he’s carved into a tree on the outer at Moorabbin: Sincs 4 Ratts 4 eva

Clark hasn’t got the endurance or the speed of Sincs but he is a beautiful kick on both sides

Hill is definitely the most skilled when it comes to long 40-50 m weighted kicks.

Steele has him covered on overall skill especially one on one marking ability and Steele is also a great kick to a team mate or taking a set shot for goal. I’d love to know what Steeley’s percentage rate is for goals to behinds. I reckon he’d be elite.

The other one that you can’t discount for skills is our big Maxy. Not only his kicking on both feet and his skyscraper height marking but also his speed, and his ability to swoop on a loose ground ball is also pretty handy.
oh yes he is , its hard to argue he isnt the most skilled in the side.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

The Fireman wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 11:10pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 10:08pm Sinclair isn’t the most skillful. He’s built hard work into his game and everything we love about aussie rules. He’s courageous, he’s hard, he’s got a lovely side step, he competes well in the air and he defends well too.

Firey you can always rely on Scallop the walloper to be on the money :wink:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Callum Wilkie, Josh Battle and Jarrod Lienert have a better disposal efficiency in 2022. Should we exclude DE as a skill?

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 11:26pm

Callum Wilkie, Josh Battle and Jarrod Lienert have a better disposal efficiency in 2022. Should we exclude DE as a skill?
Don't just look at stat's wallop they can be misleading :wink:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CarlD wrote: Thu 25 Aug 2022 4:13pm Well done Jack! A fitting reward for a top class season.
+1

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes, and Sinclair is complete in his skills too.

He hits the contest at pace and can pick the ball up.

Deft footwork in traffic.

Quick and accurate by foot and hand.

Exceptional decision maker, with very good football judgement.

Reads the play beautifully.

Pretty good spoiler.

His contested marking improved this year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

DE is a stat and not a skill. Many poor kickers can achieve high DE as they chip the ball sideways. ie Geary.

Sinclair is a playmaker. Kicks and handballs to good options in space.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

One thing Sincs doesn't do is fumble. He is a master of the one grab, unlike most of his teammates. He is very cool under pressure and rarely makes a mistake, He is certainly elite. Who else on our list is?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 26 Aug 2022 11:45am
DE is a stat and not a skill. Many poor kickers can achieve high DE as they chip the ball sideways. ie Geary.

The quote was made that he is our most skillful. I beg to differ. I chose DE because it is a measure of skill and I chose the guys who stand beside Sincs and play in the backline. All are not just stoppers. The 3 guys quoted are also ‘playmakers’. They don’t equal Sincs in all areas and they don’t match his overall game.

Anyhooo…Well done Sincs.

Not downplaying what is a remarkable achievement for a guy who was picked up as a rookie and took about five years to establish himself in the team (should have played more games in the firsts but Cho didn’t think so)

Glad to see that a few forum regulars have picked up that he can play. Some of us were calling it in his first 2 years

viewtopic.php?p=1589304#p1589304

viewtopic.php?p=1553631#p1553631

viewtopic.php?p=1611512#p1611512

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 26 Aug 2022 6:04pm
saintsRrising wrote: Fri 26 Aug 2022 11:45am

The quote was made that he is our most skillful. I beg to differ. I chose DE because it is a measure of skill and I chose the guys who stand beside Sincs and play in the backline. All are not just stoppers. The 3 guys quoted are also ‘playmakers’. They don’t equal Sincs in all areas and they don’t match his overall game.

Anyhooo…Well done Sincs.

Not downplaying what is a remarkable achievement for a guy who was picked up as a rookie and took about five years to establish himself in the team (should have played more games in the firsts but Cho didn’t think so)

Glad to see that a few forum regulars have picked up that he can play. Some of us were calling it in his first 2 years

viewtopic.php?p=1589304#p1589304

viewtopic.php?p=1553631#p1553631

viewtopic.php?p=1611512#p1611512
That’s why we kept you and got rid of Con.

viewtopic.php?p=1521743#p1521743

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
StPeter
Club Player

I totally disagree.

Sincs is the most skillful by a large margin.

Hill butchers it on too many occasions and his defensive skills are nil.

Clark has a long way to go to get to Sincs level but he certainly has shown potential which has been curtailed by injury.

Steele is certainly something special and has him covered in many areas but I think Sincs is more creative and effective when he gets the ball.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If you look at some of Clark's best games in red white and black, there is undeniable skill and talent. We just haven't seen him doing it as consistently as Sincs

When Steel is on and when he's in form he is our best player. Skill wise. Toughness. Creativity. Efficiency. Shots at goal...you name it!!

Have a look at the stats for our last game of the year. Compare them if you like. If disposal efficiency is not a measure of skill I don’t know what it is. And remember...1 is an inside mid who also lines up at stoppages and at centre bounces in the congestion

Steele has 2 All Australian jackets and he didn't just earn them because he's our best tackler.

The above post re Sincs vs Steele says "Sincs is more creative and effective when he gets the ball" - not in my book for a body of work over the last 4 years

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Have you ever stopped to think 🤔

Why are all the top DE players defenders?

Obviously it stands to reason, when the defence wins the footy, the opposition folds back and allows an uncontested kick

So generally they kick under little pressure into the fat part of the ground

Defenders should go at 80% DE (90% is elite)
Mids and forwards at 60% DE (70 is elite)