The Age says Clarko would like Ben Long at Norf

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Re: The Age says Clarko would like Ben Long at Norf

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 12:29am
bangaulegend wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 12:27am
Wayne42 wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 12:20am As Long as we get a fair return for Long, see ya later.
So what's fair return IYO ?
let's see what the Saints brains trust tell us. :lol: :lol:
:wink:

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 12:04am
Vortex wrote: Fri 02 Sep 2022 11:32pm
skeptic wrote: Fri 02 Sep 2022 11:27pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 02 Sep 2022 11:16pm
skeptic wrote: Fri 02 Sep 2022 11:07pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 02 Sep 2022 11:02pm
skeptic wrote: Fri 02 Sep 2022 10:13pm He was great in the final vs the Dogs
Like many players have admitted, 2020 was a bit of slap and tickle to keep us entertained while we were locked up, that's why it's called the Covid Cup. And that's why it's time to get honest with our list, we have overrated too many for too long just like we overrate our last finals campaign.

We have a small core that desperately needs support before we risk going to the bottom of a full rebuild again. We have to get brutal and find around 10 to 12 players capable of becoming finals type players.
Who said this?
Surely you don't rate the 2020 season. Come on Skeptic let's not argue for the sake of arguing, any halfwit knowledge of the game understands it was and incredibly compromised season. That fact we made it into the finals is enough evidence we weren't competing in a full strength comp.
Sure sure.

Can you just point out a few of the many players that have admitted this and where they have done so. Should be easy.
I'm getting too old to play those childish internet games. Clearly you rated our season in 2020 but I think most pundits accept it was not a year to measure performance of where you were at as a club.
I’ve not said any of that. The only point I made was that Ben Long played well in a final. You stated that many players have acknowledged that that season was a farce.

I’ve asked you for a simple example of what you stated. You have not provided that and the comment has now changed from “many players” to “most pundits”.

I don’t know what game it is I’m playing asking you to confirm what you’ve stated but I guess we’ve reached the end of this discussion as I too have no desire to play “childish games on the internet”.

Have a good night sir.
Yeah dishing out demands that an anonymous poster prove he's not a liar to another anonymous poster is tedious at best. Who's got time for that.

Sleep well Skeppers

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 12:46am
Like many players have admitted, 2020 was a bit of slap and tickle to keep us entertained while we were locked up, that's why it's called the Covid Cup. And that's why it's time to get honest with our list, we have overrated too many for too long just like we overrate our last finals campaign.

We have a small core that desperately needs support before we risk going to the bottom of a full rebuild again. We have to get brutal and find around 10 to 12 players capable of becoming finals type players.
Who said this?
Surely you don't rate the 2020 season. Come on Skeptic let's not argue for the sake of arguing, any halfwit knowledge of the game understands it was and incredibly compromised season. That fact we made it into the finals is enough evidence we weren't competing in a full strength comp.
Sure sure.

Can you just point out a few of the many players that have admitted this and where they have done so. Should be easy.
I'm getting too old to play those childish internet games. Clearly you rated our season in 2020 but I think most pundits accept it was not a year to measure performance of where you were at as a club.
I’ve not said any of that. The only point I made was that Ben Long played well in a final. You stated that many players have acknowledged that that season was a farce.

I’ve asked you for a simple example of what you stated. You have not provided that and the comment has now changed from “many players” to “most pundits”.

I don’t know what game it is I’m playing asking you to confirm what you’ve stated but I guess we’ve reached the end of this discussion as I too have no desire to play “childish games on the internet”.

Have a good night sir.
Yeah dishing out demands that an anonymous poster prove he's not a liar to another anonymous poster is tedious at best. Who's got time for that.

Sleep well Skeppers
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Who said this?
Sure sure.

Have a good night sir.
'As many players have admitted'
Then 'most pundits'

Straight from the Caro and Robbo school of journalism.
Make up a huge statement quoting sources, then backtrack and backpedal faster than the French military in WW2

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 7:56am

Who said this?
Sure sure.

Have a good night sir.
'As many players have admitted'
Then 'most pundits'

Straight from the Caro and Robbo school of journalism.
Make up a huge statement quoting sources, then backtrack and backpedal faster than the French military in WW2
And what bug has gotten into your undies, you also seem to be getting bitchier about the unimportant stuff.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Thu 01 Sep 2022 8:46pm Think a few over rate Long

Had a good last game

Even including that last game ave. 11.8 possessions per game
We have so many players who are injury prone and struggle to play a full season. This is a huge problem.
We can't afford to led players like Long and Hill go.
And we can't leave it all up to our younger players either.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 10:52am
chook23 wrote: Thu 01 Sep 2022 8:46pm Think a few over rate Long

Had a good last game

Even including that last game ave. 11.8 possessions per game
We have so many players who are injury prone and struggle to play a full season. This is a huge problem.
We can't afford to led players like Long and Hill go.
And we can't leave it all up to our younger players either.
It's what was holding back Melbourne, their list lacked resilience, players unable to play with niggles and preferring to rest in the sick bay on game day while others did the heavy lifting. I know it was a focus for our club last pre season. After watching Melbourne last night it could be their list will only have one Covid Cup to show for what is such a strong list ON PAPER. Now the game is back to full strength and back at the MCG will Melbourne return to be the mentally fragile team they were not that long ago.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Has the club offered Long another contract?
If not, when will we know?
Twitter is quiet on this one.
Tom Mitchell, Taranto are the two guys trending

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SinCitySainter
Club Player

I wouldn't worry about North trading for Long and Hill as they have nothing to trade.
Clarko is not going to give up any player we would be interested in and only pick 1 and then 55 and below.
The players would both be worth a 2nd round pick in my opinion and unless he trades for one I can't see how any trade could get done.
I guess 55 could get you Hill if we really want to free up the salary cap space but we still have to pay 95%.
Unless we hook a big fish we are not going to be near it if we lose Hill along with the other players we have already lost.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Accepting 55 for Hill would be madness.
Unless we are very lucky a player at 55 would be nowhere near as good as Hill.
I think we should keep him.

One year will be our year
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Mon 05 Sep 2022 2:39pm I wouldn't worry about North trading for Long and Hill as they have nothing to trade.
Clarko is not going to give up any player we would be interested in and only pick 1 and then 55 and below.
The players would both be worth a 2nd round pick in my opinion and unless he trades for one I can't see how any trade could get done.
I guess 55 could get you Hill if we really want to free up the salary cap space but we still have to pay 95%.
Unless we hook a big fish we are not going to be near it if we lose Hill along with the other players we have already lost.
All excellent points. Hold Hill to his contract. Seems like he's lost his pride in performance and searching for a "There, there Bradley. Wherever you want to play. Keep that smile smiling."

A prime example of the silliness in having a salary cap system with a requirement to pay "X" amount as a percentage.

Hill is cream for a cake we don't have yet. He can go and let's front end some of our kids contracts rather than dumping it into any ol player a club is looking to exorcise their salary cap demons.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

longtimesaint wrote: Mon 05 Sep 2022 3:38pm Accepting 55 for Hill would be madness.
Unless we are very lucky a player at 55 would be nowhere near as good as Hill.
I think we should keep him.
I completely agree, I am not suggesting it is a trade that should be done but it is about the only way I could see a trade happening.

I don't really see us trading out too many players as we would already be on the low end of salary cap requirements and you don't want to be forced to pick too many kids at the shallow end of the draft pool.
Every player that goes off our list now has to be replaced from trade or draft.
This approach of dump everyone that is not going to be in premiership team and bring in a heap of kids is not going to work.
That will leave you in a tricky situation of having no one to delist next year as every kid brought in is on a 2 year contract even the ones drafted in the fifth and sixth rounds.

The only way we might get rid of another high salary would be if we recognized a team under extreme cap pressure and we thought we might be able to pries a quality player by front ending.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Saints TV saying Hill to North all but a done deal and that North offering Ben L a contract for about $600k a year which we won't match (understandably).
SEN floating the idea that J. Gresham being shopped.
The Indigenous players group photo might be a bit smaller in '23?
FWIW.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

If we lose Long it typifies how stupid and weak this club is

DJ Higgins
Club Player

If north a serious about getting in new players they will need to split their number one draft pick and then split those splits further. I can’t see a realistic trade at present for long and or Gresham for what they currently have. Ie both a lot better than pick 55 but not worth pick one

Banger9798
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote: Tue 06 Sep 2022 7:07pm If we lose Long it typifies how stupid and weak this club is
Could be time for an open letter from Saintsational to the football department.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Tue 06 Sep 2022 7:12pm
The Fireman wrote: Tue 06 Sep 2022 7:07pm If we lose Long it typifies how stupid and weak this club is
That should get their attention

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 06 Sep 2022 7:18pm
I’m not sure if anything connected to our club has had much credence

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 06 Sep 2022 7:28pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 06 Sep 2022 7:18pm
I’m not sure if anything connected to our club has had much credence
Probably as irrelevant as it's ever been. The list is a house of cards, it only needs one or two injuries for the team to thrown in the towel.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Who watches over Clarko at Norf?

They had to try something but what worked 10 years ago probably won’t work today.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.