What do you want from this review?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: What do you want from this review?

B.M wrote: Fri 09 Sep 2022 4:59pm We are on a slippery slope, and will go backwards in a hurry

Our list management is a mess

We are losing talent - and getting none in

Right now we are a carcass ripe for the picking, and clubs now this and will feast on any of our talented players

In 4 years we will be a basket case
Yes because Windhager Michito Nasiah King + more draftees this year and next year are the talent that we aren't getting in

Fkme ..... it sounds like you think we are just gunna let all our young talented players leave for peanuts :lol:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I want transparency.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 12 Sep 2022 2:01am
1971 wrote: Sun 11 Sep 2022 11:39pm Determine what the culture and training were like under Ross Lyon and compare to what it like under Brett Ratten and co. Not comparing sides just intent for success. Under Lyon we didn't win a flag but we were driven.
So the review should ONLY be conducted by Jarryn Geary then... he's the only one from both eras.

1 person is not the panacea. Lyon stepped into an organisation that had a very good culture in 2006. He inherited what had already been built over 25 years of finals appearances from 1991 up until 2006. And not forgetting the the legacy from leaders like Robert Harvey, Nathan Burke, Stewy Loewe, Aaron Hammill and others who passed on the baton to Roo, Lenny, Ball etc..

The secret is not getting a wizard or a messiah, it's about structures, disciplines, and having competent people in recruitment and competent people running our football program and always having an eye on the future. Lyon did not give a stuff what happened to the ST Kilda FC after he departed. He wasn't interested in developing our young recruits, or in rotating the captaincy, or in sustainable success. The club needs people who don't jeopardise our future. We do have a future despite what the posters on the forum keep telling us. The 4.5 Billion Dollar media rights deal ensures we do up until at least 2031
A post that talks about structure and discipline then derides Lyon who DROVE that discipline and structures
Great coaches can do that ffs - see Matthews, Clarkson, Longmire …..their teams are incredibly disciplined….it’s starts at the top …in footy terms Lyon was that
Like him or not Ratten hasn’t a snowflakes in hell of driving that commitment to “anywhere , anytime” that’s why Lyons players (and money ball types too) were so consistent
Know your role
Deliver it game day or don’t play
None of this “we ain’t dropping Brad Hill rubbish OR if Brad runs behind you…you must give him the ball so he gets 30 cheapies out the back …(which the opposition now see coming from the other side of the moon and just sit on by the way..)
Talk about miss the point you made…

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Mon 12 Sep 2022 4:09pm I want transparency.
You want the truth???
You can’t handle the truth !

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Mon 12 Sep 2022 2:18pm We become the innovators of the competition.
We are the inclusion club so let’s focus there.
That will get the AFL on board and stop their systematic bias against us.

1. Hire AFL’s first openly gay coach.
Coaching Credentials irrelevant.
Hire a non-binary assistant coach.

2. Dani (dude looks like a) Laidley as Director of Football.

3. Annual Molly’s match in memory of the great man and saints supporter.

4. Tank until 2027 winning 3 games a year.
We’ll have the gay community & AFL support and fund raising so no issue on viability.

5. Lobby AFL for minimum 4 year contracts for top 10 draft picks

6. #1 draft picks in 2028, 2029, 2030, 2031 plus priority picks. Throw coin at Free Agents. Stock pile talent.

7. Father and son 3x Reiwoldts, 2 xHayes’ from 2032

Build a dynasty and with 5 straight premierships.
You're a fkn genius 8-)

Hey, btw...when did Molly pass away?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 13 Sep 2022 12:21am
Scollop wrote: Mon 12 Sep 2022 2:01am
1971 wrote: Sun 11 Sep 2022 11:39pm Determine what the culture and training were like under Ross Lyon and compare to what it like under Brett Ratten and co. Not comparing sides just intent for success. Under Lyon we didn't win a flag but we were driven.
So the review should ONLY be conducted by Jarryn Geary then... he's the only one from both eras.

1 person is not the panacea. Lyon stepped into an organisation that had a very good culture in 2006. He inherited what had already been built over 25 years of finals appearances from 1991 up until 2006. And not forgetting the the legacy from leaders like Robert Harvey, Nathan Burke, Stewy Loewe, Aaron Hammill and others who passed on the baton to Roo, Lenny, Ball etc..

The secret is not getting a wizard or a messiah, it's about structures, disciplines, and having competent people in recruitment and competent people running our football program and always having an eye on the future. Lyon did not give a stuff what happened to the ST Kilda FC after he departed. He wasn't interested in developing our young recruits, or in rotating the captaincy, or in sustainable success. The club needs people who don't jeopardise our future. We do have a future despite what the posters on the forum keep telling us. The 4.5 Billion Dollar media rights deal ensures we do up until at least 2031
A post that talks about structure and discipline then derides Lyon who DROVE that discipline and structures
Great coaches can do that ffs - see Matthews, Clarkson, Longmire …..their teams are incredibly disciplined….it’s starts at the top …in footy terms Lyon was that
Like him or not Ratten hasn’t a snowflakes in hell of driving that commitment to “anywhere , anytime” that’s why Lyons players (and money ball types too) were so consistent
Know your role
Deliver it game day or don’t play
None of this “we ain’t dropping Brad Hill rubbish OR if Brad runs behind you…you must give him the ball so he gets 30 cheapies out the back …(which the opposition now see coming from the other side of the moon and just sit on by the way..)
Talk about miss the point you made…
Ratten's not stupid. No point trying to embarrass your employer if you're after a new contract

Who recruited Hill? Who instigated the trade and rubber stamped the trade? Lethlean or Ratten?

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 13 Sep 2022 12:42am
D.B.Cooper wrote: Mon 12 Sep 2022 2:18pm We become the innovators of the competition.
We are the inclusion club so let’s focus there.
That will get the AFL on board and stop their systematic bias against us.

1. Hire AFL’s first openly gay coach.
Coaching Credentials irrelevant.
Hire a non-binary assistant coach.

2. Dani (dude looks like a) Laidley as Director of Football.

3. Annual Molly’s match in memory of the great man and saints supporter.

4. Tank until 2027 winning 3 games a year.
We’ll have the gay community & AFL support and fund raising so no issue on viability.

5. Lobby AFL for minimum 4 year contracts for top 10 draft picks

6. #1 draft picks in 2028, 2029, 2030, 2031 plus priority picks. Throw coin at Free Agents. Stock pile talent.

7. Father and son 3x Reiwoldts, 2 xHayes’ from 2032

Build a dynasty and with 5 straight premierships.
You're a fkn genius 8-)

Hey, btw...when did Molly pass away?
He’s still with us.
I thought he’d passed away 😳

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
The Craw
Club Player

St Kilda is the AFL's social awareness, it isn't a football club.

It is more interested in being the moral compass of modern day society than actually playing football.

Not good for winning premierships but at least it remains relevant in the AFL's eyes.

I for one supported the St Kilda football club .... I really don't think it is in that line of business anymore.

Not Craw, CRAW!
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 11 Sep 2022 6:55pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Sun 11 Sep 2022 12:52pm Just chatted with Sir Nick yesterday, I asked what he thinks would be the best course for our future...he said no comment.

I caught him later when he was sitting alone and asked again and he looked at me dead eye and said, move to Tassie or the AFL will sweep us aside within 10 yrs they'll have 3 less Vic clubs.

I thought he was having a laugh but then he took out his phone made a call excused himself and walked off....still not sure if he was taking the piss or pushing his agenda or? He seemed pretty genuine and a bit of aggressive when he said AFL would sweep us
Is that for real ?
Riewoldt said we should move to Tassie?
**** me thanks Nick that’s the spirit!
Or does he just no do well associating with us common people?
110% conversation that occurred.
But , as I said, was he being cheeky or revving me up a bit?

saintkid
Club Player

Getting back to this review, if it is being driven by Lethlean then what's the point of it?
Simply comical that he's already been appointed CEO for 2023 with the damaging decisions he's made so far.
A hollow process to cover his backside is all it will be.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Tue 13 Sep 2022 10:00pm Getting back to this review, if it is being driven by Lethlean then what's the point of it?
Simply comical that he's already been appointed CEO for 2023 with the damaging decisions he's made so far.
I wonder if the review uncovers exactly what you’re saying. What if Noble tells our president that people feel Lethlean made bad calls. What if it’s Lethlean who causes division between coaches or divisions amongst the playing group? Have we signed a contract yet for him to be CEO or was it just an informal succession plan

saintkid
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 2:17am
saintkid wrote: Tue 13 Sep 2022 10:00pm Getting back to this review, if it is being driven by Lethlean then what's the point of it?
I wonder if the review uncovers exactly what you’re saying. What if Noble tells our president that people feel Lethlean made bad calls. What if it’s Lethlean who causes division between coaches or divisions amongst the playing group? Have we signed a contract yet for him to be CEO or was it just an informal succession plan
I hope so Scollop but I still cannot believe this bloke has been allowed to have so much authority at the club already.
He's been a disastrous appointment and it will only get worse if he continues.

leighsaintsince66
Club Player

The Craw wrote: Tue 13 Sep 2022 11:29am St Kilda is the AFL's social awareness, it isn't a football club.

It is more interested in being the moral compass of modern day society than actually playing football.

Not good for winning premierships but at least it remains relevant in the AFL's eyes.

I for one supported the St Kilda football club .... I really don't think it is in that line of business anymore.
Agree.

The AFL is by far the most woke code in the whole country.

From the 18 clubs that make up the AFL, St Kilda is probably the most woke club in the league.

Is there any other club in any sport in Australia who focuses as much on being the moral compass?

I doubt it.

Will this change now that Matt Finnis has gone, and Gillon McLachlan moves on?

This remains to be seen.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Jarrod Berry got off a charge that the Saints would have struggled with.

Willie Rioli and the West Coast Eagles also overturned the MRO’s finding

Our club usually gets reamed by the MRO and when we challenge (like we did with Paddy Ryder earlier this year) we usually fail miserably.

It’d nice if our club realises that we need better lawyers and a better understanding of how to win at the tribunal

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

You’d be hoping it concludes that a general lift in standards might be key to seeing us rise up the ladder.

A few days back I listened to the Saints TV podcast where they interviewed Jack Sinclair.

He was chatting away about his eating habits pre game and post game and was whacking on about burgers, pizzas, KFC etc.

I was kinda floored to hear that professional athletes, particularly ones who are regular underachievers, are eating this kind of junk.

I would have thought that no stone would be left unturned in the pursuit of a competitive edge?

I would have thought their preparation would be akin to that of a prize fighters, or Olympic gymnast or whatever, but to hear that they’re gnawing away on s*** like KFC post game, was kinda disappointing but not overly surprising considering their general lack of success.

Ffs, I’m a 55 year old slob and I don’t eat that crap, surely we could expect a bit more that that?

Surely the coaching/leadership structure of the club needs to take responsibility for this kind of malaise, it’s just not good enough.

No wonder we’re perennial plodders!

Look again it's the Flash!!
Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

The Linton Street Flash wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 7:48am You’d be hoping it concludes that a general lift in standards might be key to seeing us rise up the ladder.

A few days back I listened to the Saints TV podcast where they interviewed Jack Sinclair.

He was chatting away about his eating habits pre game and post game and was whacking on about burgers, pizzas, KFC etc.

I was kinda floored to hear that professional athletes, particularly ones who are regular underachievers, are eating this kind of junk.

I would have thought that no stone would be left unturned in the pursuit of a competitive edge?

I would have thought their preparation would be akin to that of a prize fighters, or Olympic gymnast or whatever, but to hear that they’re gnawing away on s*** like KFC post game, was kinda disappointing but not overly surprising considering their general lack of success.

Ffs, I’m a 55 year old slob and I don’t eat that crap, surely we could expect a bit more that that?

Surely the coaching/leadership structure of the club needs to take responsibility for this kind of malaise, it’s just not good enough.

No wonder we’re perennial plodders!
I don't know a lot of athletes go extremely hard on carbs and calories when they're under a heavy workload.

Remember Michael Phelps would apparently have "For lunch, he would have half-kilogram of pasta, two large ham and cheese sandwiches on white bread smothered with mayonnaise, and another set of energy drinks. Whereas for dinner, add a pound of pasta with carbonara sauce, a large pizza, and energy drinks"

Not saying that diet is appropriate for AFL but I wouldn't read too much into diet mid-season for a player like Sinclair.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Sounds promising

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022 12:24pm Here’s the beginning of some news

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/20 ... tid=kkiIlp

Yes about time we got a genuine football person, with actual "football" knowledge driving the football side of the Club.

With Lethlean, and Bains before him, you had the most important person on the football side of things calling the shots on the key football strategic decisions and acquisitions of the St KFC.

Now good on the business side of things they may be, and both are now back in the business admin side of things, but having football wannnabes in such a key football role is a key why we have not improved..

Looks like the penny has now finally dropped, and hopefully we get a Neil Balme level, and capable, candidate in.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022 4:29pm With Lethlean, and Bains before him, you had the most important person on the football side of things calling the shots on the key football strategic decisions and acquisitions of the St KFC.

Now good on the business side of things they may be, and both are now back in the business admin side of things, but having football wannnabes in such a key football role is a key why we have not improved..

Looks like the penny has now finally dropped, and hopefully we get a Neil Balme level, and capable, candidate in.
I like the reading of Lethlean's credentials.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Lethlean
Played for the Hawthorn ressies in the 90's. Involved in 5 flags for Old Xavs and captained the VAFA rep team. Returned to old Xavs and coached back to back flags in 2009/10.

Worked at the AFL from 2004 in the legal, broadcasting, fixturing, and game development. Involved in the creation of the AFLW.
Appointed to footy ops manager before having an affair with a co-worker. Resigned as a result of that. Wasn't the first man to do that and won't be the last.

Was courted by Collingwood, Carlton, Hawthorn, and Essendon but elected to join us as GM of Football.

People with that background don't grow on trees.

saintkid
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022 5:22pm
saintsRrising wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022 4:29pm With Lethlean, and Bains before him, you had the most important person on the football side of things calling the shots on the key football strategic decisions and acquisitions of the St KFC.

I like the reading of Lethlean's credentials.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Lethlean
Played for the Hawthorn ressies in the 90's. Involved in 5 flags for Old Xavs and captained the VAFA rep team. Returned to old Xavs and coached back to back flags in 2009/10.

Worked at the AFL from 2004 in the legal, broadcasting, fixturing, and game development. Involved in the creation of the AFLW.
Appointed to footy ops manager before having an affair with a co-worker. Resigned as a result of that. Wasn't the first man to do that and won't be the last.

Was courted by Collingwood, Carlton, Hawthorn, and Essendon but elected to join us as GM of Football.

People with that background don't grow on trees.
People with an astute football background don't give a broken player from the Swans a 5 year contract on big $$.
He's a big reason why the club has gone further backwards and will continue to do so with him still there.

Saintly66
Club Player

Geoff Walsh to oversee the football department apparently

Royston
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022 4:29pm
skeptic wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022 12:24pm Here’s the beginning of some news

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/20 ... tid=kkiIlp

Yes about time we got a genuine football person, with actual "football" knowledge driving the football side of the Club.

With Lethlean, and Bains before him, you had the most important person on the football side of things calling the shots on the key football strategic decisions and acquisitions of the St KFC.

That person will be Geoff Walsh according to the Footy Classified team.
To be announced next week.
How's that work with the David Nobel review currently being undertaken :shock:

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022 9:02pm He's a big reason why the club has gone further backwards and will continue to do so with him still there.
Gone further backwards?
He was appointed in 2018. We finished 16th with 4 wins and a draw.
In 2019, we finished 14th with seven wins. Three of those wins came after we appointed Ratten as coach.
We made the finals in 2020 with a 10-7 record.
We have stagnated in 2021, and 2022 but we were sitting 4th with an 8-3 record at the half way stage.

You have a strange definition of "gone further backwards".

saintkid
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022 10:48pm
saintkid wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022 9:02pm He's a big reason why the club has gone further backwards and will continue to do so with him still there.
Gone further backwards?
He was appointed in 2018. We finished 16th with 4 wins and a draw.
In 2019, we finished 14th with seven wins. Three of those wins came after we appointed Ratten as coach.
We made the finals in 2020 with a 10-7 record.
We have stagnated in 2021, and 2022 but we were sitting 4th with an 8-3 record at the half way stage.

You have a strange definition of "gone further backwards".
So you state stagnated in 2021 and 2022?
Lol....more like gone backwards in my book.