How good are Geelong and how far away are we .

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Re: How good are Geelong and how far away are we .

B.M wrote: Sun 25 Sep 2022 11:44pm We got priority picks in 2000-2001 - for being hopeless

We got pick 3 turned into pick 1 (Goddard)

We get the most equalisation money in the AFL

We got Compo for Goddard and Dal Santo (blew that!)

We had every opportunity to draft either Riewoldt or Frawley in 06 - did not due to having an under resourced amateur recruiter
Recruit either we win 09 or 10 or both

Don’t get me started on 2009 draft period or Chris Pelchen
That killed the club for a decade

We have screwed up at nearly every turn
Spot on.

We had ever opportunity from 2000 with the AFL rules at that time to build a team that could win multiple flags but we managed to fall short for various reasons.

#2 & #5 gifts, the Goddard gift.
We had our opportunity.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 25 Sep 2022 11:44pm We got priority picks in 2000-2001 - for being hopeless

We got pick 3 turned into pick 1 (Goddard)

We get the most equalisation money in the AFL

We got Compo for Goddard and Dal Santo (blew that!)

We had every opportunity to draft either Riewoldt or Frawley in 06 - did not due to having an under resourced amateur recruiter
Recruit either we win 09 or 10 or both

Don’t get me started on 2009 draft period or Chris Pelchen
That killed the club for a decade

We have screwed up at nearly every turn

Yep we got those picks Kosi and Goddrad and low and behold we were in the mix for basically for 10 years. Amazing what happens hey.

Geelong got given one of the best key forwards in the AFL in Hawkins in 2007 then Cameron walked in 2020. Not to mention the leagues best player in Dangerfield.

It's far easier to stay on top with players of this ilk walking into your club.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Good list management

They have a salary cap too

Killa
Club Player

Crameri, Hayball, Clark, Jarvis, Kennerley, Fort, Tarca, Brownless, Henry, O'Connor, Atkins, Okunbon, Schlensog, Stephens, De Koning, Evans, Taheny, Guthrie, Simpson, Conway, Knevitt, Willis, Kruger, Whyte, Williams, Dempsey.

I can tell you that all of Jarvis, Kennerley and Taheny are back at the Club they were Drafted from as 18 year olds.

Plus Jenkins, Steven, Ceglar

Geelong's success rate Drafting and Trading is basically the same as across the competition (allowing for Touhey from Carlton, Dangerfield from Adelaide, Smith from Hawthorn and Cameron from GWS plus Hawkins as father/son - adding to Ablett, Scarlett et al

Perhaps, just perhaps, some on here should do some research ahead of mouthing off with abject rubbish.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Mon 26 Sep 2022 10:09am Crameri, Hayball, Clark, Jarvis, Kennerley, Fort, Tarca, Brownless, Henry, O'Connor, Atkins, Okunbon, Schlensog, Stephens, De Koning, Evans, Taheny, Guthrie, Simpson, Conway, Knevitt, Willis, Kruger, Whyte, Williams, Dempsey.

I can tell you that all of Jarvis, Kennerley and Taheny are back at the Club they were Drafted from as 18 year olds.

Geelong's success rate Drafting and Trading is basically the same as across the competition (allowing for Touhey from Carlton, Dangerfield from Adelaide, Smith from Hawthorn and Cameron from GWS plus Hawkins as father/son - adding to Ablett, Scarlett et al

Perhaps, just perhaps, some on here should do some research ahead of mouthing off with abject rubbish.
I'm not sure if you realise TTT, however your clause type cryptic politician speak usually makes little sense and virtually illegible in many cases. At best I think I can make out you are taking another opportunity to impress the board with some vague reference to a 2nd tier football club in SA?

My advise if you want to be understood is just be as direct as you can with your put downs so that way us common folk have a chance of working out if you are being serious or just taking the pith.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 25 Sep 2022 8:59pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 25 Sep 2022 8:50pm 16 wins in a row, more than half away from Geelong.

No finals at their home ground.

How many priority picks have Geelong had?

We were gifted a star but decided to pick an undersized diabetic forward instead.

I reckon Hill and Hannerbry cost us more than Danger and Cameron cost Geelong.

Not sure we have anyone to blame but ourselves!

11 games at Geelong a season best home ground advantage in the AFL without having to fly interstate 11 times a year.

We weren’t gifted anything we finished dead last.

Lot to be said about moving home and living the lifestyle you want and play football. Danger lives about 100 meters from some of the best surf you’ll find. If he’s playing for less well I’m sure it’s more than compensated.

Cameron and Dangerfield both were n 900k by the way.
Geelong don't get 11 games in Geelong a year, only go 9 this year.

And are you now saying it's unfair Geelong is in a better location than St Kilda??

They've managed to keep the ball rolling with clever recruiting and drafting, also a bit of luck, but you make your own luck they say.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 26 Sep 2022 11:23am
CURLY wrote: Sun 25 Sep 2022 8:59pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 25 Sep 2022 8:50pm 16 wins in a row, more than half away from Geelong.

No finals at their home ground.

How many priority picks have Geelong had?

We were gifted a star but decided to pick an undersized diabetic forward instead.

I reckon Hill and Hannerbry cost us more than Danger and Cameron cost Geelong.

Not sure we have anyone to blame but ourselves!

11 games at Geelong a season best home ground advantage in the AFL without having to fly interstate 11 times a year.

We weren’t gifted anything we finished dead last.

Lot to be said about moving home and living the lifestyle you want and play football. Danger lives about 100 meters from some of the best surf you’ll find. If he’s playing for less well I’m sure it’s more than compensated.

Cameron and Dangerfield both were n 900k by the way.
Geelong don't get 11 games in Geelong a year, only go 9 this year.

And are you now saying it's unfair Geelong is in a better location than St Kilda??

They've managed to keep the ball rolling with clever recruiting and drafting, also a bit of luck, but you make your own luck they say.

Not saying it's unfair Im saying its a drawcard and an advantage. You don't have to be that clever to recruit Cameron, Dangerfield and Isaac Smith.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We were also the drawcard not so long ago along with Geelong, etc... but ridiculous "machine gun" recruiting which only brought us multiple mediocre players with average skills across half back, in the ruck, multiple small forwards, etc.. while we ignored quality young midfielders, etc.... meant that we maxed out our salary cap on mediocrity.

You keep doubling up/down on mediocrity, you quickly become irrelevant ...
and you are not going to get a core of elite players that way.

We were making the right recruiting/drafting calls at critical times right here in this forum ... we could have done better than our recruiters.
Last edited by samoht on Mon 26 Sep 2022 12:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Killa wrote: Mon 26 Sep 2022 10:09am Crameri, Hayball, Clark, Jarvis, Kennerley, Fort, Tarca, Brownless, Henry, O'Connor, Atkins, Okunbon, Schlensog, Stephens, De Koning, Evans, Taheny, Guthrie, Simpson, Conway, Knevitt, Willis, Kruger, Whyte, Williams, Dempsey.

Perhaps one should consider taking one's own advice?

Anyone who thinks that buying onto some basic management 101 jargon from the coach of Norwood football club offers a sustainable successful business model for an AFL club needs to consider examples of what may classify as "mouthing off with abject rubbish".

I think a certain dribbling old dry blower on this site needs his Carer to take out the abject rubbish bin, as it's full of bull sh!t.
Last edited by D.B.Cooper on Mon 26 Sep 2022 1:27pm, edited 2 times in total.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Also once you start paying 'overs' for players its hard to reign back in. Player X sees player Y is getting so much and they think "Wait a minute, my output is equal to his so I should be worth Z amount too". Next minute you're paying 10-20% over across your whole list, compared to another club who players take pay cuts to play for and keep successful groups together.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Freebird
Club Player

No way would the players take a pay cut to allow the recruitment of the likes of dangerfield/cameron etc.
They have a ground that all victorians paid for that brings into the geelong fc over 1 mil dollars for every home game.

I laugh when the salary cap is brought up..St Kilda cannot compete against the likes of geelong/richmond who win flags then bring in high price recruits the next year. Sure they make some small cuts but many of the younger players that played in the premiership will also be looking for more progressive remunerations.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The game Geelong went ahead of St Kilda….
It started a 15 game winning streak.
Ended with the flag.
Geelong’ third since 1937.

The rest is history.
Tom bloody Hawkins played.

At 2007, we were neck n neck with Geelong on the curve…
We of course still rose and peaked a couple of years later, including in gigantic tussles with Geelong. But we were in a losing war. We didn’t have the new troops of the same caliber as the old.
Our worse 6 in 2010/11 were probably pretty average footy players.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Killa
Club Player

The anti vaccination brigade are out in force today

The mob who cannot count past 3

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Amid all the adulation, flagellation, and prostration we know Geelong's success has peaked don't we?

It's not going top again for some time.

Will make finals because of home ground but even that will diminish as coaching improves and the interminable building works at Kardinia are finished.
Age catches up and a Sydney side like Saturdays doesn't come along too often.

suss
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 26 Sep 2022 2:19pm Amid all the adulation, flagellation, and prostration we know Geelong's success has peaked don't we?

Will make finals because of home ground but even that will diminish as coaching improves and the interminable building works at Kardinia are finished.
I thought that last year.

With good drafting, recruitment and list management, they’ll stay at the top end of the ladder unfortunately.

If you nail those things (and coaching) consistently, the premiership window is always open.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote: Mon 26 Sep 2022 2:32pm
Yorkeys wrote: Mon 26 Sep 2022 2:19pm Amid all the adulation, flagellation, and prostration we know Geelong's success has peaked don't we?

With good drafting, recruitment and list management, they’ll stay at the top end of the ladder unfortunately.

If you nail those things (and coaching) consistently, the premiership window is always open.
You think Stewart is going to keep being able to keep playing as he does with impunity? Selwood gone. Dangerfield strapped like Radish, Hawkins making Queen Mary look fast. DeKoening is a generational star, however can't see Stengle getting 50 again. Any side with Myers in it has a weakness, Tuohy not getting faster, neither Smith, who pulled one out for the GF - surprised he was not swabbed or featured in the stewards reports about form reversal. Cameron is same same, a hammy just around the corner guy and strange affection for young cattle.

Good side but the acclamation from non Geelong types seems overstated to me.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 26 Sep 2022 2:56pm

You think Stewart is going to keep being able to keep playing as he does with impunity? Selwood gone. Dangerfield strapped like Radish, Hawkins making Queen Mary look fast. DeKoening is a generational star, however can't see Stengle getting 50 again. Any side with Myers in it has a weakness, Tuohy not getting faster, neither Smith, who pulled one out for the GF - surprised he was not swabbed or featured in the stewards reports about form reversal. Cameron is same same, a hammy just around the corner guy and strange affection for young cattle.

I know right...why we aren't celebrating Mad Monday today is a real head scratcher.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Been waiting for the Aussie economy/real estate boom to peak and finish since 2002...unfortunately, after all the BS in the media, it just never stopped..I'm stuck overseas for good now. Not the worst place to be by any means, but don't assume that the peaks and troughs thing has a time scale that matches your hopes.

Why is Geelong finished?
Too old?

Their advantages are real. They are forced to play home games at the MCG sometimes....including finals.

Which just reminds me of the advantage MCG based teams have and how poor St Kilda, NOrth and the Bullies (to a lesser extent) ..are off.

Meanwhile, GC and GWS will be spoon fed.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 26 Sep 2022 3:58pm

I know right...why we aren't celebrating Mad Monday today is a real head scratcher.
Que?
Senor Vortex rhetorising wrong thread maybe?
Or es ingles comprehension a problem?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 26 Sep 2022 4:41pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 26 Sep 2022 3:58pm

Que?
Senor Vortex rhetorising wrong thread maybe?
Or es ingles comprehension a problem?
Es Yorkey Ingleso is problems...some time he make actual sense