Should the Saints admit they need to rebuild?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Should the Saints admit they need to rebuild?

We might go into rebuild if Ratten hasn’t improved the team in 2 years time.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Welcome back. I'm surprised it took this long.

The board has been a bit dull in your absence, Firey will be ecstatic about your return.

On the subject posed in your OP though, I am predicting Ratts will be gone in 2024 which will signify the beginning of a full rebuild from the ground up with significant assistance from the AFL starting with a Paul Roos type coming in as coach.

I also think the AFL will take control of the board after removing Basett and Lethlean and then the AFL will ready us for relocation to Tasmania.

You can see it a mile away.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I’m willing to bet you are wrong Vortex. Interested?

Your previous position had been that the list was not worthy. I could probably find a dozen posts from the last 6 months where you had stated we didn’t have a finals capable or a top 4 capable list ( link below is just one of the most recent from you) How come you’ve joined the ‘get rid of Ratts bandwagon’? Are you sitting on the fence and trying to please the Lynch mob?

If Alastair Clarkson and Ross Lyon were senior coaches at other clubs earlier this year, I wonder if there still would have been a chorus of Saints fans calling for Ratts to be replaced.

Just because a few Saints fans are upset that we didn’t make finals doesn’t mean we can simply blame the senior coach. I’m not saying he hasn’t made mistakes, but I don’t think he’s done a bad job with the talent on hand and the list that he inherited.

The other thing to consider is the assistants that he had to work with when he stepped into the role. He didn’t choose his ‘own’ team of assistants when he was handed the senior gig in 2020. I think with Lade and McGlynn and Sexton gone …PLUS Lethlean essentially letting the experienced VFL/AFL heads to run the show instead of him, I reckon Ratten will surprise a few of the doubters

viewtopic.php?p=1982553#p1982553

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 8:42am I’m willing to bet you are wrong Vortex. Interested?

Your previous position had been that the list was not worthy. I could probably find a dozen posts from the last 6 months where you had stated we didn’t have a finals capable or a top 4 capable list ( link below is just one of the most recent from you) How come you’ve joined the ‘get rid of Ratts bandwagon’? Are you sitting on the fence and trying to please the Lynch mob?

If Alastair Clarkson and Ross Lyon were senior coaches at other clubs earlier this year, I wonder if there still would have been a chorus of Saints fans calling for Ratts to be replaced.

Just because a few Saints fans are upset that we didn’t make finals doesn’t mean we can simply blame the senior coach. I’m not saying he hasn’t made mistakes, but I don’t think he’s done a bad job with the talent on hand and the list that he inherited.

The other thing to consider is the assistants that he had to work with when he stepped into the role. He didn’t choose his ‘own’ team of assistants when he was handed the senior gig in 2020. I think with Lade and McGlynn and Sexton gone …PLUS Lethlean essentially letting the experienced VFL/AFL heads to run the show instead of him, I reckon Ratten will surprise a few of the doubters

viewtopic.php?p=1982553#p1982553
Stopped reading after you suggested I wanted Ratts gone...you couldn't be further from the truth. I'm just making the easy prediction that another coach will be sacked and I go the extra mile in predicting the timing. Any idiot can join in these types of predictions. Predicting success takes a whole lot more intelligence.

I do believe we have a list capable of making finals but just, maybe 6th to 8th. And it relies on an unrealistic amount of luck with injuries and for currently listed players being able to improve considerably...both possible but highly unlikely.

Ratts is not the problem, lack of talent is, and always will be the problem, sacked coaches just soothes the anger...temporarily.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Always build and you'll never need to rebuild.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

With our current list healthy & firing we can finish 8-12th for the next 3 years.

But genuine contenders we are not and that requires deep changes that no one will admit.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I can handle finishing 8-12 whilst

King. Coffield, Clark, Paton, King, NWM, Windhager, Owens, Heath are entering their prime and our next 3 years of First and Second Round picks develop

And when Steele, Marshall, Gresham, Higgins etc are senior players

St Plugger
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 6:58pm I can handle finishing 8-12 whilst

King. Coffield, Clark, Paton, King, NWM, Windhager, Owens, Heath are entering their prime and our next 3 years of First and Second Round picks develop

And when Steele, Marshall, Gresham, Higgins etc are senior players
Agree!