Ratten sacked

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Re: Ratten sacked

Yeah basset looks so incompetent now. What’s an embarrassing showing at times looked like a bumbling idiot. he’s career is finished both at the club and in the private sector I would’ve thought. Seek is being run into the ground over the past 5 years and shareholders are rightly calling for his head. Imagine it won’t be much different at the club.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Brunswicksainter wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 1:11pm Yeah basset looks so incompetent now. What’s an embarrassing showing at times looked like a bumbling idiot. he’s career is finished both at the club and in the private sector I would’ve thought. Seek is being run into the ground over the past 5 years and shareholders are rightly calling for his head. Imagine it won’t be much different at the club.
Not to say it was the wrong decision ratten had to go. I’d argue tooth and nail against any of you that he’s was a considerably worse coach than richo and Watters.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

hmmmmmm

reports (didn't listen)
that , that press conference was a cluster of demented ducks

hmmmmm

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

hmmmmm

after considered opinion

off with their heads as well

Lennylegs
Club Player

How do you make a correct decision look so wrong? It's almost art, this mess.

Club Player

Ratsak. Been said a million times?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Lennylegs wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 1:25pm How do you make a correct decision look so wrong? It's almost art, this mess.
That is actually quite a disturbing thought but completely on point

Ajantis
Club Player

Listenning to rubbish from the media statement, I think its a case of Ratten being realistic about St>kilda's crap Team and they dont like it.
Typical St.Kilda, f*** the coach off ( cause they dont like what they hear ) and think that will resolve the issue.
Nothing to look forward too for the next 5 years !

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Ajantis wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 2:03pm Listenning to rubbish from the media statement, I think its a case of Ratten being realistic about St>kilda's crap Team and they dont like it.
Typical St.Kilda, f*** the coach off ( cause they dont like what they hear ) and think that will resolve the issue.

Threw that dart from a fair way out.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Word is on social media that Bassat let it slip that we already have a new coach and then Lethelen corrected him and said no we don’t.

Seems to me that the Lyon train is gathering steam

Munga
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 2:11pm Word is on social media that Bassat let it slip that we already have a new coach and then Lethelen corrected him and said no we don’t.
Can't say that I heard that at all. If anyone finds it, please post it here.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
damienc
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 2:11pm Word is on social media that Bassat let it slip that we already have a new coach and then Lethelen corrected him and said no we don’t.

I am struggling to understand why anyone would think/contemplate that Ross Lyon is the answer to our current predicament.

Are our memories so short that we forget or forgive or both, the manner and circumstance in which he departed our club?

I would be surprised, make that mightily surprised, if he is reappointed as coach.

And if he is, I think it would be disappointing and counterproductive.

Whatever the question, Ross Lyon is not the answer.

His time as an AFL coach is well past its used by date.

Ajantis
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 2:09pm
Ajantis wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 2:03pm Listenning to rubbish from the media statement, I think its a case of Ratten being realistic about St>kilda's crap Team and they dont like it.

Threw that dart from a fair way out.
Yup and Just Emailed to Cancel My Membership.
5-10 Year Setback....

silverhalo
Club Player

Make Ross the Boss but on the proviso that he doesn't carry on with that ultra defensive game plan that made watching some of those games challenging!
He is the best out there, I don't think there's much doubt about that and yes I'm ready to forgive and move on...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 2:21pm

I am struggling to understand why anyone would think/contemplate that Ross Lyon is the answer to our current predicament.

Are our memories so short that we forget or forgive or both, the manner and circumstance in which he departed our club?

I would be surprised, make that mightily surprised, if he is reappointed as coach.

Just to be clear…

I am no RL fan. I fell off his bandwagon mid 2010.
It just feels to me like there’s a certain desperation to “make a big move” and “become relevant” etc.

I feel like the club might be sucked in by it.

A replacement coach that is Enright, Hayes, Caracalla etc is meh (not considering that they may actually be good choices).

Lyon is a story. Sells papers, garners interest etc. if this was a tv show, Lyon would be the obvious choice.

Personally I have no idea - I’m just vibing it.

If it’s full steam ahead and they approached someone who committed right away…

Hayes is back… Goddard says the Saints culture is gone
It just feels like a Lyon move.
Last edited by skeptic on Fri 14 Oct 2022 2:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 1:11pm Yeah basset looks so incompetent now. What’s an embarrassing showing at times looked like a bumbling idiot. he’s career is finished both at the club and in the private sector I would’ve thought. Seek is being run into the ground over the past 5 years and shareholders are rightly calling for his head. Imagine it won’t be much different at the club.
It’s an outdated business model.

Stars get approached and recruited directly through LinkedIn. Cuts out 95% of the work and firms can target who they want. No more applications from Bangladesh.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sanctorum
Club Player

When I woke up at 4.30 and read the messaged from my Saints mates it literally knocked me over.....then in analysing the significance of Ratten's sacking I immediately thought: "the absolutely delicious irony that St Kilda announces a full post-season review of its football operations and appoint a recently sacked senior AFL coach, David Noble, to lead the review. The club then appoints hard nut but highly regarded footy personality Geoff Walsh as Executive Manager of the club's football operations with full oversight of the coaches, list managers and players - the bloke who a few months earlier had led the review at North Melbourne that resulted in Noble's sacking.....and bugger me dead, next thing we know St Kilda sacks its senior coach!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I mean, you can't make this stuff up, it's absolute comic opera, it's the funniest thing I've heard in footy for years, bloody hilarious. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I also immediately thought that Teflon, for one, would be really really delighted with this bit of news, vindication of his very persuasive and vocal assertions that Ratten can't coach. You were right after all!!!

My own views since the massive drop-off in form by the team after round 11 were that it was unfair to pick on Ratten when he had such an average playing list and should be given credit for getting the team to sit in 5th spot with an 8-3 win/loss record, but then condemn him when they fall off the cliff in the next 11 rounds. I also made comment when Geoff Walsh was brought in to run the show that at least we would soon know the answer to the "Ratten Coaching" question.

Well, we now have the answer and I am in not the slightest doubt that this momentous decision has Walsh' fingerprints and DNA all over it, he's The Man and I feel really confident, as I posted elsewhere on this forum yesterday, that we're in for a hell of a ride with much better days ahead.

So hang onto your hats folks, the ride has started with a BANG!!!

On the question of who should be the next coach, I am ambivalent - except that I definitely don't want any former Saints player to get the gig. I also most definitely want it to be a bloody hard nut, uncompromising, in the Clarkson/Scott/Hinkley mould, someone that will stand for nothing but 100% effort in the gym and on the track from his players - no molly-coddling, just strong leadership so that if a certain young star shows poor body language on field (and we have a few), drag him to the bench and give someone who's prepared to give his all for the team...

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 2:34pm
damienc wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 2:21pm

Just to be clear…

I am no RL fan. I fell if his bandwagon mid 2010.
It just feels to me like there’s a certain desperation to “make a big move” and “become relevant” etc.

I feel like the club might be sucked in by it.

A replacement coach that is Enright, Hayes, Caracalla etc is meh (not considering that they may actually be good choices).

Lyon is a story. Sells papers, garners interest etc. if this was a tv show, Lyon would be the obvious choice.

Personally I have no idea - I’m just giving it.

If it’s full steam ahead and they approached someone who committed right away…

Hayes is back… Goddard says the Saints culture is gone
It just feels like a Lyon move.
Ross the Boss eh? Would have to lose 10kg, get a PR firm to spin how he was unable to win premierships with the best sides going but knows better now, close off talk about the harassment thing with female Freo employee, explain not developing players and chasing Lovett. Helpful if he lost the reactionary condescending sarcasm. Can his style resonant with modern players? doubt it. But agree he has got a cartoonish appeal - press would love it for so many reasons starting with: Coach goes to get a packet of smokes and returns 12 years later, a redemption story, unfortunately no one recognises him and the family have moved.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Ross the boss's hair has improved considerably.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ha ha.

Gold.

Leaked phone call of Lethers to Basset right after Essendon debacle talking about their decision to extend Ratts’ contract.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

yea yea real hair

i still reckon

our now (new) coach
should put all the squad in crewcuts

ie : get with the program lads

and you , bruther , with the pineapple stuck up your arse
... you aint running so well

got any problems
we might need to hear about ?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Meh who cares why we fired Ratten - in the end the right decision was made for moving forward

The board made a mistake and rectified it without any further damage being done

Yes it's another friggen reset but I can't help but feel that this one is different - this path is a million times better than the path we were on with Ratten and I for one applaud the board for having the big balls to pull the trigger

Speaking of which those supporters absolutely distraught by the news should grow a pair

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 4:58pm Meh who cares why we fired Ratten - in the end the right decision was made for moving forward

Yes it's another friggen reset but I can't help but feel that this one is different - this path is a million times better than the path we were on with Ratten and I for one applaud the board for having the big balls to pull the trigger
Agreed wholeheartedly. At last some hard edge and demand for excellence. A step away from suffering in mediocrity. Thank god.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 4:58pm Meh who cares why we fired Ratten - in the end the right decision was made for moving forward

Agreed wholeheartedly. At last some hard edge and demand for excellence. A step away from suffering in mediocrity. Thank god.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 5:13pm

Do you have any thoughts on who St.B?