Ross Lyon?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rubyjo
Club Player

Re: Ross Lyon?

If he is keen to coach again ..surely he has been working on a new game plan.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Will RL give a “this is a start of an era speech” if he gets the gig?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

From Wikipedia - "After failing to lead Fremantle into the AFL finals series in four consecutive seasons, Lyon was sacked as senior coach on 20 August 2019"

That doesn't bode well.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

How is Lyon a 'teacher' in any way ...like Leigh Matthews or Clarkson or Choco Williams who have all had players and a multitude of coaches (who worked under them) go on to be great leaders in their own right and coach teams to finals victory and Grand Final wins?

How the f*ck do the CEO and the President think Lyon's going to do that at our club when this club was 'bemoaning the lack of leaders' on field and they thought (...Lethlean thought) the answer was Hannebery?

Lyon walked into 2 clubs with a ready made group of leaders and a platform that had already been established before he arrived

Apart from the fact that Lyon had a champion list of players and plethora of All Australian talent at his disposal at St Kilda and at Fremantle...

What makes Bassat think that Lyon is a bloke who inspires others to become leaders? Is there any evidence of this?

Winning games of football and (especially) winning finals and Grind Finals is based on having outstanding player leadership

Is Jack Steele and Wilkie, Seb Ross and Skunk and Dougal made of the stuff we need? Is Ross the Boss going to help make these guys better leaders....?

Or....Is that going to be Lethlean's job or Lenny's job or Geoff's job?

Name a few assistants who had worked under Ross the Toss and they are now at a stage where they have built a reputation in the industry and are perhaps ready to coach in their own right?

What was Lyon's legacy as a coach at St Kilda as far as a coach/leader who can lay the foundations for his predecessors to carry the baton and maintain the momentum of that 2004-2011 successful period we had?

He shat on us and he shat on his playing group in 2011 for not delivering him the glory he so rightly deserved. Even if it was Pelchen who destroyed us years later or if it was Watters who was to blame for the Saints slide after Lyon left...why did Lyon need to claim that they were 'finished' and they were not capable? What sort of leader of men does that?

I defy the sycophants and those drinking the Lyon branded Kool-Aid to answer these questions

Bowey Boy
Club Player

It may be that our low profile and “irrelevance” is our biggest problem at the moment. A flag will never come without sorting out the first issues. Lyon will fix that immediately. I like the idea of Lyon with a two year handover to an up and coming assistant.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Bowey Boy
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 5:07am How is Lyon a 'teacher' in any way ...like Leigh Matthews or Clarkson or Choco Williams who have all had players and a multitude of coaches (who worked under them) go on to be great leaders in their own right and coach teams to finals victory and Grand Final wins?

How the f*ck do the CEO and the President think Lyon's going to do that at our club when this club was 'bemoaning the lack of leaders' on field and they thought (...Lethlean thought) the answer was Hannebery?

Lyon walked into 2 clubs with a ready made group of leaders and a platform that had already been established before he arrived

Apart from the fact that Lyon had a champion list of players and plethora of All Australian talent at his disposal at St Kilda and at Fremantle...

What makes Bassat think that Lyon is a bloke who inspires others to become leaders? Is there any evidence of this?

Winning games of football and (especially) winning finals and Grind Finals is based on having outstanding player leadership

Is Jack Steele and Wilkie, Seb Ross and Skunk and Dougal made of the stuff we need? Is Ross the Boss going to help make these guys better leaders....?

Name a few assistants who had worked under Ross the Toss and they are now at a stage where they have built a reputation in the industry and are perhaps ready to coach in their own right?

What was Lyon's legacy as a coach at St Kilda as far as a coach/leader who can lay the foundations for his predecessors to carry the baton and maintain the momentum of that 2004-2011 successful period we had?

He shat on us and he shat on his playing group in 2011 for not delivering him the glory he so rightly deserved. Even if it was Pelchen who destroyed us years later or if it was Watters who was to blame for the Saints slide after Lyon left...why did Lyon need to claim that they were 'finished' and they were not capable? What sort of leader of men does that?

I defy the sycophants and those drinking the Lyon branded Kool-Aid to answer these questions
Adam Kingsley, Robert Harvey, without looking anything up.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Banger was a captain of the club before Lyon arrived

Also...when I talked about handing over the baton I meant Lyon's 'successors' not his predecessors

asiu
Saintsational Legend

hmmmm

our Mollusc won't be liking this then !!

it seems
you'll be able to ask him yourself bloke

"the word has become a roar"
says my mate
who has solid standing
(from past employment with) in all things st kilda

Lyon is the Messiah
... the 2nd coming is upon us

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Rubyjo
Club Player

asiu wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 9:00am hmmmm

it seems

says my mate
who has solid standing

Lyon is the Messiah
It's going to be biblical

asiu
Saintsational Legend

:D

yep !!!

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I just realised what's really going on here

We're not trying to win a flag

We just want to cash in on the marketing spin.

Sell an extra 5000- 10,000 memberships...plus the extra potential merch. plus the extra exposure in the media keeps the major sponsors happy....fmd... it's brilliant

Pays off the amounts we have to pay Ratts and there'll be a bonanza surplus to spend on our footy department and pay off chunks of debt

So...I get it now... we're just using that prick Lyon like he used us
Last edited by Scollop on Sat 15 Oct 2022 9:16am, edited 1 time in total.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Lyons is a great coach at getting a good team with a strong foundation to become a great team that can win a flag (can). We are not is that state so he would be a poor choice. We need to do what the pies did and find a new coach that is ready to step up and bring in fresh ideas that make sense. Unfortunately we have left the run late, really late. Basically next year is going to be tough but if we can keep our young guns especially NWM then 2024 will be so much better. PLus next year is meant to be a super draft so sliver lining if we suck. That's all I have for being positive

freely
SS Hall of Fame

What I really can't bear is how smug he'd be. He walked out on us and still we begged him to come back. I don't think my stomach is strong enough.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Does he still sashay?

spert
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 9:35am What I really can't bear is how smug he'd be. He walked out on us and still we begged him to come back. I don't think my stomach is strong enough.
How come he didn't want the Essendon job- I was told by more than one source that he hadn't got the desire to take on a big AFL role again, so why should we want a half-hearted coach, resting on his laurels will will screw the club for big money?

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

asiu wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 9:00am hmmmm

it seems

says my mate
who has solid standing

Lyon is the Messiah
Hallelujah

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 5:07am How is Lyon a 'teacher' in any way ...like Leigh Matthews or Clarkson or Choco Williams who have all had players and a multitude of coaches (who worked under them) go on to be great leaders in their own right and coach teams to finals victory and Grand Final wins?

Don't be too stressed Scolops, Rossy hasn't landed at the Saints yet, and is not a fait accompli imo.

Like others I would agree that the current list is not a top 4 list, might sneak into top 8. Whether Rossy can develop a team to get to top 4 and contend is also a matter of doubt. However, there is one thing that is not doubtful imo, that is RL will give it a red hot go, pull no punches in an effort to get the Saints up towards the top. Different approach to the methodical, softer approach of Richo/Ratts, and what I think the club hierarchy is looking for. May crash, may not, but we’ll certainly know about it. I am happy for him to be given a go, also would not be unhappy if they gave Yze a go. Don't know that much about him, he might do a Macrae?

As for your other coaching manual terms "teacher" and "legacy", what's that got to do getting up the ladder and contending? Clarko’s assistants have gone on because they achieved a three peat. The only lasting legacy of a coach is flags. Lay the foundations, pass on the baton? Clarko’s baton got dropped. Hawks dropped down in his latter coaching years, and they are now doing a rebuild to recover. Same with Lethal’s Lions, dropped down after the flags, and took years to get back up. Choco the same, although I wouldn’t include him in the company of the other 2.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

spert wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 9:46am
freely wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 9:35am What I really can't bear is how smug he'd be. He walked out on us and still we begged him to come back. I don't think my stomach is strong enough.
How come he didn't want the Essendon job- I was told by more than one source that he hadn't got the desire to take on a big AFL role again, so why should we want a half-hearted coach, resting on his laurels will will screw the club for big money?
Because Essendon are a toxic basket case and they wanted to put him through a wank process that involved not one, but 3 HR Managers.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 10:42am
Because Essendon are a toxic basket case and they wanted to put him through a wank process that involved not one, but 3 HR Managers.
Serious questi0on, are you his manager?

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Well… from the reasons they’ve given to part ways with Ratts and the type of coach they’ve said we’re looking for… Ross is really the only one that fits that description.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Hard to say.

My guess.

Players will pull up their socks pretty quick,
if ‘Ross the Boss comes to Town’.

And that ain’t a bad thing.

Leadership qualities will emerge in those who didn’t know they had it in themselves.

Especially with Lenny as assistant.

You’ll love this..
💕

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 11:40am Hard to say.

My guess.

Players will pull up their socks pretty quick,
if ‘Ross the Boss comes to Town’.

And that ain’t a bad thing.

Leadership qualities will emerge in those who didn’t know they had it in themselves.

Especially with Lenny as assistant.

You’ll love this..
💕

And although it's too late this year, he'll attract players.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 11:21am
The G Train Legacy wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 10:42am
No, just someone who knows a highly competent gun when I see one. Only Allan Jean's was a more successful StKilda Coach.
Serious questi0on, are you his manager?
No, he's the best available by a huge margin. Will be a better get than Clarkson. We still haven't recovered from driving him away a decade ago
Last edited by The G Train Legacy on Sat 15 Oct 2022 12:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Well said mate. In fact , so true it hurts.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Looks like he will be announced next week. So say the media. What a backflip!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!