Ross Lyon?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon?

We will be an even greater laughing stock than we are right now!
Only one positive is he would only need four more years to achieve his birthright of most games coached without a flag.

I can sit here laughing at him whilst lamenting my clubs demise!

Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

I was as p!ssed off as anyone when Ross walked out on us, but over the years I have had time to reflect and have come to the conclusion that he is the best coach we have had at our club. We have been wallowing in mediocrity since the day he left, and I am desperate to get him back.
I miss the feeling of going to a game, not with the question of whether we are going to win or not, but more the question of by how much are we going to win by. Call it arrogance if you like, but bloody hell, I miss feeling that way.
Whether you like Ross or hate him, it’s indisputable that Ross is a master tactician.
Other supporters hated us during that period. These days other supporters ridicule us. It’s time to get our mojo back.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

And what if we perform to the Fremantle standard of his last 3 years there?

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 12:39pm We will be an even greater laughing stock than we are right now!
Only one positive is he would only need four more years to achieve his birthright of most games coached without a flag.

This may age well.🤣

Saintmike65
Club Player

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 4:01pm Brad Hill won a B&F under Ross Lyon

Yes..on a wing!!

silverhalo
Club Player

Kick-it-lace-out wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 12:49pm I was as p!ssed off as anyone when Ross walked out on us, but over the years I have had time to reflect and have come to the conclusion that he is the best coach we have had at our club. We have been wallowing in mediocrity since the day he left, and I am desperate to get him back.
I miss the feeling of going to a game, not with the question of whether we are going to win or not, but more the question of by how much are we going to win by. Call it arrogance if you like, but bloody hell, I miss feeling that way.
Whether you like Ross or hate him, it’s indisputable that Ross is a master tactician.
Other supporters hated us during that period. These days other supporters ridicule us. It’s time to get our mojo back.
Like you, I was pissed off along with many others when he walked to Freo. I think that means we valued him as a coach and didn't really want him to leave and now that there is the possibility that we could get him back, I'd definitely be all for it - all would be forgiven from my point of view.

If we do get him, I would want him to go for a more attacking brand of footy because the ultra defensive style although successful, is boring to watch.

kell
Club Player

How about Bomber Thompson !!! Ticks all the boxes ?? He is about due for "another chance"??

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

kell wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 2:57pm How about Bomber Thompson !!! Ticks all the boxes ?? He is about due for "another chance"??
Is he off meth?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Kick-it-lace-out wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 12:49pm I was as p!ssed off as anyone when Ross walked out on us, but over the years I have had time to reflect and have come to the conclusion that he is the best coach we have had at our club. We have been wallowing in mediocrity since the day he left, and I am desperate to get him back.
Yes, but that is only one part of the story, and not the most recent part ...

He left us when we were on a downward trajectory in 2011 and loaded up with recycled players (which didn't bode well for our future)... and there were 10 games in a row that Freo lost under him at the start of season 2017 (I think?), the year after they made the GF.

Freo didn't consider him a "master tactician." .... they replaced him.
And they have improved since his departure.
Last edited by samoht on Sat 15 Oct 2022 3:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

kell
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 3:10pm
kell wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 2:57pm How about Bomber Thompson !!! Ticks all the boxes ?? He is about due for "another chance"??
Is he off meth?
Who cares! Its about "closing the gap".

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 1:03pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 12:39pm We will be an even greater laughing stock than we are right now!

This may age well.🤣
Sorry to not be a good supporter.

I just finished all the humble pie I was going to eat when our last 2 number 10's tore it up ,contrary to my negative expectations!

Let's see how Lyon also makes me eat my words. :oops:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 4:06pm
The G Train Legacy wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 1:03pm

This may age well.🤣
Sorry to not be a good supporter.

I just finished all the humble pie I was going to eat when our last 2 number 10's tore it up ,contrary to my negative expectations!

Let's see how Lyon also makes me eat my words. :oops:
Certain words from Gags and Bassat are pointing to us taking the longer term view and drafting elite young talent instead of trying to import success. Maybe Ratten was the one who was pushing for the Hill trade in the first place rather than the existing heirarchy.

After reading a few more journo articles and thinking about it a bit more, I have a feeling that the club is going down the path of a rebuild.

For that reason alone, I don’t believe that they’ll be signing up Lyon. I can stop panicking …perhaps…. Hopefully I don’t have to eat my turds…. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

for those with clear memories of the time of his departure, the mercenary tactics used (not only on the club but his manager) and the way in which he threw our club under the bus to justify his mercenary beast, would have grave reservations about having him back

Remember his "it took Fremantle 24 hours to do what St Kilda couldnt do in 6 months" quip?
Never mind, that his (then) new manager's decision to delay any talks mid season in what was pretty much a done deal to come to bargaining table later on and get as much over and above out of us that he could, meanwhile feathering his own nest at Fremanttle and white anting Mark Harvey at the same time

Sure, wheeling and dealing at that level's a brutal business, but to then blame St Kilda and the culture of St Kilda as reasons why his tenure was unbearable and no one would blame him about wanting out - the fact that he blew his dough on some mining investment scam that saw him living back with his in laws in Reservoir, meaning he had to commute all the way to Seaford was a failure of the club's for not relocating to Thornbury or somewhere more suitable for Ross. He essentially justified (or escaped more scutiny) for his machievellian moves, by playing the "St Kilda culture" card, which extended to embarrassing off field incidents from the previous season which were (or should have been) under his watch

I'm not sure, with this amount of time out of the AFL system he's had any chance to develop a new game plan, a plan that most AFL experts agreed would never bring home the chocolates

No Strength Thru Loyalty with R Lyon, I'm afraid - strength through an out dated one trick method and any amount of duplicity

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

NO NO NO.

Lyon must not be allowed to return.

Will he develop and play the youth?

I shudder the thought.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 3:50pm
evertonfc wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 3:37pm I feel like 2-3 years of Lyon will prevent us from collapsing into a total and utter basketcase, which is what we're on the precipice of.

I genuinely believe there's probably not a Craig McRae out there waiting to come in.

Lyon is a plug-and-play option. We slot him in, he gets to work, we will instantly become a lot more competitive and players will be expected to work their backsides off every single day at training.

Will he get a flag with this list? Probably not, but I think he can help steady the ship and point us forward at a time we desperately need some forward momentum. I think he'll bring in the standards and values we are urgently seeking.

I don't think people realise how rotten it is down there. We've got a lot of players who need to be put through the RL food processor.

I reckon Max will benefit enormously from Lyon's tutelage (as Kosi did) and he'll put the message out to Ben that we're fair dinkum. Once we get Ben on board, I think you'll see some serious momentum start to roll back into this football club.
He has a reputation of leaving clubs in a much stronger position than when he first walks in... actually....hang on
Some would say Freo kids coming through were brought through in Lyons latter years - Brayshaw Serong etc
I know that’ll jar the narrative but there’s actually plenty of evidence of Lyon turning mediocre players into decent players - I think Gram Blake Bakers Milne (rookie reject) the lost goes on …
It’s convenient to ignore but when you have someone who you know demands 100% effort you lift or die
No more cheapie handballs for Hill out the back.,
I suspect a few might be shutting themselves
Better hit the gym Hunter

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 5:21pm I wonder if RL would do a fixed term while training an apprentice

3 years with Lenny taking over is appealing
That’s a smart approach I agree
Lyon with a transition view longer term I think Hayes under that program could be an exceptional coach

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 7:13pm The vibe certainly seems to be that Lyon is coming back.

Unlike many of the other names being tossed around - Yze, Hird, Leppitch, Pyke, etc. - Lyon is a proven quality head AFL coach. Although I would prefer it to be someone else, I think that, assuming some due diligence as to how he's traveling both inside and outside the football world, I think he is a credible choice and I would enthusiastically support him if he comes.

For once, I am in full agreement with Teflon: I would be expecting Lyon to have moved on from his complex, space-crowding game plans of the late 2000s to something a little more attacking and fluid. Indeed, he was already heading that way at Freo.

Anyway, if it is Lyon, it's sure going to be an interesting 2023!
It’s taken 11 years but welcome aboard !
In Ross we trust.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 5:07am How is Lyon a 'teacher' in any way ...like Leigh Matthews or Clarkson or Choco Williams who have all had players and a multitude of coaches (who worked under them) go on to be great leaders in their own right and coach teams to finals victory and Grand Final wins?

How the f*ck do the CEO and the President think Lyon's going to do that at our club when this club was 'bemoaning the lack of leaders' on field and they thought (...Lethlean thought) the answer was Hannebery?

Lyon walked into 2 clubs with a ready made group of leaders and a platform that had already been established before he arrived

Apart from the fact that Lyon had a champion list of players and plethora of All Australian talent at his disposal at St Kilda and at Fremantle...

What makes Bassat think that Lyon is a bloke who inspires others to become leaders? Is there any evidence of this?

Winning games of football and (especially) winning finals and Grind Finals is based on having outstanding player leadership

Is Jack Steele and Wilkie, Seb Ross and Skunk and Dougal made of the stuff we need? Is Ross the Boss going to help make these guys better leaders....?

Or....Is that going to be Lethlean's job or Lenny's job or Geoff's job?

Name a few assistants who had worked under Ross the Toss and they are now at a stage where they have built a reputation in the industry and are perhaps ready to coach in their own right?

What was Lyon's legacy as a coach at St Kilda as far as a coach/leader who can lay the foundations for his predecessors to carry the baton and maintain the momentum of that 2004-2011 successful period we had?

He shat on us and he shat on his playing group in 2011 for not delivering him the glory he so rightly deserved. Even if it was Pelchen who destroyed us years later or if it was Watters who was to blame for the Saints slide after Lyon left...why did Lyon need to claim that they were 'finished' and they were not capable? What sort of leader of men does that?

I defy the sycophants and those drinking the Lyon branded Kool-Aid to answer these questions
Keep sinking
He’s coming for ya…
You’ll be onboard when we start winning
Like Vortex, Stinger and all the blowhards telling everyone
“Coach is fine…it’s nothing to do with the coach”
:D

“Yeah….nah””
The Recruit
Club Player

I have heard Ross Lyon is a done deal.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

We were wallowing in mediocrity ON the day he left if you recall. And he left freo in the same sorry state.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

We were wallowing in mediocrity ON the day he left if you recall. And he left freo in the same sorry state.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Whoops sorry - just making a point!

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 5:39pm I have heard Ross Lyon is a done deal.
I hope it's just media rumblings. They tend to get themselves in a frenzy over nothing.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

What Lyon will bring is a meticulous attention to detail around the game plan. No player will be left wondering what to do in any given situation. He will demand 100% effort 100% of the time.

That's what I want. This year I watched from behind the goals a few times and was appalled at the lack of system from kick-outs. Players were like statues, with no initiative to make space for one another. It was about hope rather than method. The other thing that infuriated me was how may times King was left in the goal square being mauled and held by an opponent, unable to lead up the ground with no team mate doing anything to help block or engage his direct opponent. Meanwhile, we had Sharman at Sandy. Had Sharman been playing, he would have engaged the second key defender, leading into the spaces where King wasn't going. it would have kept the opposition defenders on their toes and allowed King one on one contests rather than being totally swamped.. But no, we had players on the wing looking up the ground and King was stationary, 80m away.

The other infuriating thing was opposition midfielders waltzing out of the middle of the ground at centre bounces. How may goals did we cough up like this? More than any other team, I would bet. Lyon and Hayes will fix this, I can guarantee it.

I want to know what I'm getting. I want to know that our new coach will be meticulous, not just hoping he will be.

Like him or loathe him, right now Ross Lyon is the only option for our club