Ross Lyon?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Re: Ross Lyon?

I recall plenty of games where we applied absolutely no F50 tackles under Lyon's game plan.

Freo made the right call... and have improved since his sacking.

Yes, he was sacked!!!

Do we want 3rd hand goods/damaged goods, are we that desperate?

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 4:18pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 4:06pm
The G Train Legacy wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 1:03pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 12:39pm We will be an even greater laughing stock than we are right now!
Only one positive is he would only need four more years to achieve his birthright of most games coached without a flag.

I can sit here laughing at him whilst lamenting my clubs demise!
This may age well.🤣
Sorry to not be a good supporter.

I just finished all the humble pie I was going to eat when our last 2 number 10's tore it up ,contrary to my negative expectations!

Let's see how Lyon also makes me eat my words. :oops:
Certain words from Gags and Bassat are pointing to us taking the longer term view and drafting elite young talent instead of trying to import success. Maybe Ratten was the one who was pushing for the Hill trade in the first place rather than the existing heirarchy.

After reading a few more journo articles and thinking about it a bit more, I have a feeling that the club is going down the path of a rebuild.

For that reason alone, I don’t believe that they’ll be signing up Lyon. I can stop panicking …perhaps…. Hopefully I don’t have to eat my turds…. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You might want to plate up some faecal matter
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/he- ... 5bq0w.html

Sebastian Tombs
Club Player

‘He loves St Kilda’: Ross Lyon waiting for call from Saints
Jon Pierik
By Jon Pierik
October 15, 2022 — 3.53pm

Advertisement

St Kilda want to appoint their new senior coach within a fortnight, with Ross Lyon’s long-time lawyer expecting an approach from the club within days.

And the man who gave Lyon his career break and signed him as Saints coach in 2006 says there is no reason why the club and coach cannot forge a new relationship.

Lyon left the Saints in tumultuous circumstances after the 2011 season, when the club and his then manager thought they had agreed to a contract extension, only for Lyon to have done a separate deal with Fremantle.
Saintly intervention: Ross Lyon is the frontrunner to replace Brett Ratten, potentially returning to a club he left in tumultuous circumstances in 2011.

Saintly intervention: Ross Lyon is the frontrunner to replace Brett Ratten, potentially returning to a club he left in tumultuous circumstances in 2011.Credit:Sebastian Costanzo

However, Lyon, who guided the Saints into grand finals in 2009 and ’10, is still beloved by many players from his time there, including former captain and high-profile commentator Nick Riewoldt, and has emerged as the frontrunner to replace Brett Ratten - should he want the job.

Lyon does not have an agent, but his long-time lawyer John Gdanski, also a friend and confidant of Lyon, and a former Saints board director, said on Saturday that Lyon, who has worked in the media and in business since he left the Dockers, was expected to chat with the Saints this week.

“He has definitely not been approached and, like anyone, is always keen to have a chat. He loves St Kilda … (but) unless there is a particular offer, he is very happy where he is,” Gdanski said.
Rod Butterss says there is no reason why Ross Lyon and the Saints cannot build a new relationship together.

Rod Butterss says there is no reason why Ross Lyon and the Saints cannot build a new relationship together.Credit:Joe Armao

“Wouldn’t it be great to see the two of them, Lenny (Hayes) and Ross, together again.”

Club great Hayes recently agreed to return as an assistant coach alongside Ratten, the latter blindsided by his shock axing on Thursday. Angry friends of Ratten said on Saturday that he had been “stitched up” by Saints powerbrokers, and there was now no sympathy for a club desperate to be in the premiership mix as soon as next season.
Advertisement

He has definitely not been approached and, like anyone, is always keen to have a chat. He loves St Kilda … (but) unless there is a particular offer, he is very happy where he is.
Lawyer John Gdanski

Sources close to the Saints told The Sunday Age they will ramp up their search within days, and wanted their new coach in place within a fortnight “for sure”, indicating they have their target in mind, and a deal could be brokered even sooner.

The Saints are publicly refusing to discuss potential candidates, but former president Rod Butterss - the man who hired Lyon in 2006 - said that there was no reason why events of the past should shape how the club now views Lyon.
St Kilda explains Brett Ratten sacking

27:41
Kambosos and Haney's fiery weigh-in

St Kilda Football Club president Andrew Bassat and chief executive Simon Lethlean explain why they sacked coach Brett Ratten.

“No doubt - different regime, different time. We all move on. I know Ross is the sort of bloke that doesn’t stare in the rearview (mirror). As Blighty (Malcolm Blight) said to me once: ‘Don’t stare in the rearview mirror, you will end up running into the a … of the car in front of you’,” Butterss said.

Butterss was president between 2001-07, and oversaw the brief hiring and departure of Malcolm Blight in 2001, the appointment of Blight’s successor Grant Thomas in that same season, the sacking of Thomas in 2006, and the appointment of Lyon, when a coaching sub-committee led by Robert Walls endorsed his bid.
Related Article
The mega-trade.
Trading and drafting
Monster AFL trade period explained: We untangle the deals so you don’t have to

“What I could say is that I have the utmost respect for Ross Lyon, in terms of what he has achieved, and the person that he is, and his football IQ,” Butterss said.

“He is intriguing to listen to. He was great to work with and a strong leader and a good bloke. He had that edge that we are here for a single purpose, and let’s get it done.”

As Butterss recalled, that purpose would have been “done” in the 2010 grand final against Collingwood “but for an act of God, that ball bouncing left when it should have bounced into Milney’s (Stephen Milne’s) hand.”

Lyon also led the Dockers into the 2013 grand final, losing to Hawthorn, before he was sacked in 2019.

The Saints want their new coach to have a “ruthless” edge, having unearthed “troubling” findings, according to president Andrew Bassat, in their club review, which will soon have some details released publicly.

Lyon pulled out of the race for the vacant Carlton job last year, when the Blues decided to run a proper process, and had been linked to the recent Essendon role, before declaring again that he would not submit to a full interview process.

Brendon Goddard, the former Saint and Essendon captain, said Lyon would have been the perfect fit for the Bombers - that job going to Brad Scott.

What is clear is that Lyon is known for his ruthless edge, and would bring a hardened on-field defensive philosophy, although the game has become more attacking since his last year with the Dockers.
Ross Lyon in Fremantle purple in 2016.

Ross Lyon in Fremantle purple in 2016.Credit:Getty Images

Lyon’s career coaching record sits at 172 wins, 128 defeats and five draws across his stints with the Saints and Dockers.

Along with Lyon, Melbourne assistant Adem Yze, former Essendon coach James Hird and Western Bulldogs mentor Luke Beveridge - the latter about to begin contract renegotiations - have also been linked to the Saints’ role.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

samoht wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 6:07pm I recall plenty of games where we applied absolutely no F50 tackles under Lyon's game plan.

Yes, he was sacked!!!

And Ross Lyon had nothing to do with developing Freos list?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 6:07pm I recall plenty of games where we applied absolutely no F50 tackles under Lyon's game plan.

Yes, he was sacked!!!

Why do some people think k that Lyons brain was frozen in a crypt 12 years ago?

Ya think he hasn’t been watching footy?
Ya think k he hasn’t been growing along with the rest of us?

Have you also been frozen in 2011?

Come in folks!
Personality doesn’t change so much, but cognition goes on!!

Me?
Even I have grown. I have switched from McDonals to Hungry Jacks after 2012.

It is possible proper!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 4:06pm
The G Train Legacy wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 1:03pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 12:39pm We will be an even greater laughing stock than we are right now!
Only one positive is he would only need four more years to achieve his birthright of most games coached without a flag.

I can sit here laughing at him whilst lamenting my clubs demise!
This may age well.🤣
Sorry to not be a good supporter.

I just finished all the humble pie I was going to eat when our last 2 number 10's tore it up ,contrary to my negative expectations!

Let's see how Lyon also makes me eat my words. :oops:
Nah, you don't want success otherwise you couldn't get on here, whnge and roll out the ol' "we're a laughing stock".
We've secured Walsh, looks like we've secured Lyon, laughing stock? Yeah right.

kell
Club Player

I think it is more a case of Lyon and Walsh have "secured" StK.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

kell wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 7:29pm I think it is more a case of Lyon and Walsh have "secured" StK.
Exactly, feels like another Hannabery “but no one else wanted to come”!

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

kell wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 7:29pm I think it is more a case of Lyon and Walsh have "secured" StK.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 7:55pm
So what would you do? Bet ya the first thing you'd do is form a Committee.

By the way Channel 7 reporting that we've approached Cripps to head our recruiting. Looks like Bassat is really going to work.

You still got your knickers in a twist because Rossy treated Westaway and Nettlefold as the disrespectful incompetents that they were. Get over it, were lucky if he is coming back.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 7:09pm

Yes, he was sacked!!!

Why do some people think k that Lyons brain was frozen in a crypt 12 years ago?

Ya think he hasn’t been watching footy?
Ya think k he hasn’t been growing along with the rest of us?

Have you also been frozen in 2011?

Come in folks!
Personality doesn’t change so much, but cognition goes on!!

Me?
Even I have grown. I have switched from McDonals to Hungry Jacks after 2012.

It is possible proper!
In Ross We Trust

kell
Club Player

This deal was stitched up quite some time ago.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 8:14pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 7:55pm
So what would you do? Bet ya the first thing you'd do is form a Committee.

By the way Channel 7 reporting that we've approached Cripps to head our recruiting. Looks like Bassat is really going to work.

You still got your knickers in a twist because Rossy treated Westaway and Nettlefold as the disrespectful incompetents that they were. Get over it, were lucky if he is coming back.
Unlike most on here I detested Lyon long before he left.
Fingers crossed the rumours are wrong.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

kell wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 8:25pm This deal was stitched up quite some time ago.
Reading between the lines that's the way to looks to me, too. Good. I'm glad.

Ross will front the presser flanked by Lenny and maybe even Roo. He'll acknowledge that many felt let down by his departure but insist that's all in the past.

He'll use the phrase "unfinished business". He'll talk about "getting the band back together".

And I'll rush to the website to renew my membership.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 8:31pm
kell wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 8:25pm This deal was stitched up quite some time ago.
Reading between the lines that's the way to looks to me, too. Good. I'm glad.

Ross will front the presser flanked by Lenny and maybe even Roo. He'll acknowledge that many felt let down by his departure but insist that's all in the past.

He'll use the phrase "unfinished business". He'll talk about "getting the band back together".

And I'll rush to the website to renew my membership.
Unfinished business will be our slogan next year

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

magnifisaint wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 3:10pm
kell wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 2:57pm How about Bomber Thompson !!! Ticks all the boxes ?? He is about due for "another chance"??
Is he off meth?
Nah, lets get Wayne Carey

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Has a better candidate come along that is too good to refuse?

Is Lyon a bit of a decoy?

Just putting it out there.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Vazelos
Club Player

I’d prefer Beveridge but if take Lyon in a heart beat after 10 years of painful mediocrity.
I see Lyon reshaping the club and getting us back on track a lot like Roos did for the Demons.
He hasn’t the list so my expectations are tempered but if we can get another draft year like 2021 and we attract some good free agents we can club the ladder.
Ai bow to Bassat for making this happen he is the best person to walk into our club in my time and that’s several decades.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Any chance it actually is Bevo?

Lyon sounds a bit too obvious.

I have a feeling we are all going to get another surprise and that there is more to this story than meets the eye.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yes, he was sacked!!!

He ran out of puff at Freo no doubt but many suggest they are now benefiting from some of the kids that Lyon brought through - I assume most will ignore it
No he didn’t keep them up forever
But imo a senior coach needs to be able to get his side into winning positions on the big stage - he has to be able to get the best out of them so they have the opportunity on that final day.
Lyon has done it not at 1 club …but 2 multiple times
I don’t judge his coaching cause a toe poke went the wrong way
I judge it on his ability to give his sides the best opportunity to compete consistently at the pointy end of the season and I’m happy to know that I’m buying a coach who knows exactly what it takes to get sides in that position.
Would I like to see his game plan has evolved? Yep
Would I like to see the club through, maybe Hayes, planning succession? Yep
But right now with candidates available- no one has the runs on the board Lyon does
The side needs discipline in the Longmire manner…he’ll bring it
I don’t think throwing an untried option in after 12 years of mediocrity is wise

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 8:51pm I’d prefer Beveridge but if take Lyon in a heart beat after 10 years of painful mediocrity.
I see Lyon reshaping the club and getting us back on track a lot like Roos did for the Demons.
He hasn’t the list so my expectations are tempered but if we can get another draft year like 2021 and we attract some good free agents we can club the ladder.
Ai bow to Bassat for making this happen he is the best person to walk into our club in my time and that’s several decades.
Must say I didn’t buy the “Bassatt isn’t used to failing…he won’t cop this” noises I heard….I thought he’s just another corporate soon doctor who likes playing god on the weekend.
I was wrong.
This decision, to effectively admit you got it wrong and look like a complete fool publicly, can not have been easy. It would’ve been easier to way 6-8 months….see us flounder and waste a season the say we’ve given Brett enough time. Bassatt pulled the trigger, took the heat and handled the press conference as well as anyone could.
He’s gone up enormously in my eyes and just may prove to be the best Prez we’ve had in 30 years.

“Yeah….nah””
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Sep 5, 2022

Ross the Boss’ puts on his favorite Abba LP.

“Ring, ring, why don’t you give me a call?”

“Ring, ring…

‘Oh s*** , the real telephone is ringing…eh Hello, this is ‘Ross the Boss, whom am I speaking to?”

“This is St Kilda football club”

“Oh ..yeah…I thought you hated…

“Listen Ross..ya wanna be a real boss right”

“You darn tootin’ I do”

“And ya hate a process, right?”

“Absolutely “

“Yeah, we are doing a review and it ain’t looking good..for Ratts especially”

“You wanna come on board?”

..eh

“No process, no review” “until we fire y….sorry, just cut out, bad line, bad line’ Look just tell the Bombers you are out! “

“I’m calling my Mum Ok” says Ross as he reaches for his lawyers business card on the fridge door.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vazelos
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 9:14pm
Vazelos wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 8:51pm I’d prefer Beveridge but if take Lyon in a heart beat after 10 years of painful mediocrity.
Must say I didn’t buy the “Bassatt isn’t used to failing…he won’t cop this” noises I heard….I thought he’s just another corporate soon doctor who likes playing god on the weekend.
I was wrong.
This decision, to effectively admit you got it wrong and look like a complete fool publicly, can not have been easy. It would’ve been easier to way 6-8 months….see us flounder and waste a season the say we’ve given Brett enough time. Bassatt pulled the trigger, took the heat and handled the press conference as well as anyone could.
He’s gone up enormously in my eyes and just may prove to be the best Prez we’ve had in 30 years.
He is the real deal trust me he is obsessed with this responsibility and he has no ego he is an honest brilliant man.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

cwrcyn wrote:What Lyon will bring is a meticulous attention to detail around the game plan. No player will be left wondering what to do in any given situation. He will demand 100% effort 100% of the time.

That's what I want. This year I watched from behind the goals a few times and was appalled at the lack of system from kick-outs. Players were like statues, with no initiative to make space for one another. It was about hope rather than method. The other thing that infuriated me was how may times King was left in the goal square being mauled and held by an opponent, unable to lead up the ground with no team mate doing anything to help block or engage his direct opponent. Meanwhile, we had Sharman at Sandy. Had Sharman been playing, he would have engaged the second key defender, leading into the spaces where King wasn't going. it would have kept the opposition defenders on their toes and allowed King one on one contests rather than being totally swamped.. But no, we had players on the wing looking up the ground and King was stationary, 80m away.

The other infuriating thing was opposition midfielders waltzing out of the middle of the ground at centre bounces. How may goals did we cough up like this? More than any other team, I would bet. Lyon and Hayes will fix this, I can guarantee it.

I want to know what I'm getting. I want to know that our new coach will be meticulous, not just hoping he will be.

Like him or loathe him, right now Ross Lyon is the only option for our club
100% this. I first posted on here when Ross left us. It was a traumatising time.
Like losing family. Or a cheating spouse. But we’ve been sitting here, waiting for a messiah for more than a decade. We have supremely talented players who doubt themselves. We have good players who could be so much better. We have ordinary players who need to either step up or get out.

I feel devastated for Ratts. Another one of the family gone. I laughed out loud when it was suggested Ro$$ (as we came to call him) could be within a country mile of the frame of potential candidates.

But the jungle drums from the past players we all love are difficult to ignore.

If he’s back in, and Saints family (including the ones we’d struck off the Christmas card list) back him, and want to come home too … then, I’m in too.

FQF.

Always loyal
Rubyjo
Club Player

We are a bent club ..Ross is bent ...come on home son ..