Lethlean

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Lethlean

He's been instrumental in a lot of weird stuff.
A few years ago, in a relationship with an AFL staffer who was a partner of a rugby player.
Left AFL House.
Came to us somehow.
Hannaberry- signed him up on big $$
Now this.
What's his next crazy project?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Greg T
Club Player

Re: Lethlean

Absolute spud imo,should of gone out the door with Ratten if he was fair dinkum,

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

part of the Boys Club - he aint goin anywhere and will be the last to go if the AFL has anything to do with it (which they most definitely do)

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Asleep at the wheel.

Pathetic.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

He’s another cog in the wheel which has led us to this disastrous state and to think, there were those on this forum who were worried that we were at risk of losing this so-called “genius” to the NRL 🙄

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
saintkid
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 9:23pm He’s another cog in the wheel which has led us to this disastrous state and to think, there were those on this forum who were worried that we were at risk of losing this so-called “genius” to the NRL 🙄
Exactly. I've been saying it from the beginning with Lethlean. What an embarrassment watching him at the press conference today. Had the audacity to say that in the AFL decisions made are always going to be heavily scrutinized in justifying Ratten's sacking.
Well Lethlean, why wasn't your ludicrous signing of Hannebery 'heavily scrutinized', as you put it.
I would have sent this idiot packing before Ratten but for some bizarre reason his incompetence remains unaccountable.
Must have something to do with a 'boys club' appointment as some others have stated.
An intoxicated Rod Butterss would have done a better job than that moron today.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 10:36pm
SydneySainter wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 9:23pm He’s another cog in the wheel which has led us to this disastrous state and to think, there were those on this forum who were worried that we were at risk of losing this so-called “genius” to the NRL 🙄
Exactly. I've been saying it from the beginning with Lethlean. What an embarrassment watching him at the press conference today. Had the audacity to say that in the AFL decisions made are always going to be heavily scrutinized in justifying Ratten's sacking.
Well Lethlean, why wasn't your ludicrous signing of Hannebery 'heavily scrutinized', as you put it.
I would have sent this idiot packing before Ratten but for some bizarre reason his incompetence remains unaccountable.
Must have something to do with a 'boys club' appointment as some others have stated.
An intoxicated Rod Butterss would have done a better job than that moron today.
I've seriously had a gutful of this clown.
I know I'll get banned for criticising 'the character of a Saints player or official' but honestly, if he wasn't in the AFL system, he'd be running one of those car dealerships that are a magnet for A Current Affair.
I can see a camera crew pursuing him as he scurries into his office, the reporter yelling 'how could you sell such a lemon to a single mother' 🤬

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Living the dream

Lethlean was pushed on us by Gil if I remember and I can't believe he survives all his bad decisions and they sack Ratten.
He should have been the first to go.

axcellence
Club Player

Should have been sacked for the Hannebery & Hill disasters ages ago.

Instead, got promoted from COO to CEO. I guess some people play by different rules.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

In my opinion, Lethlean has done far more damage to the club and set us back years, and cost us a lot of money:
-signing Hannas on big coin
-Hill the same
-extending Ratts for 2 years then having to pay 6 mths

If a senior coach is accountable, then how the eff does a snake oil salesman avoid scrutiny for a litany of ill-considered decisions?
'I had the best of intentions'
'At the time, it seemed the right call'

God...he belongs on the Qantas board, where he'd love sacking baggage handlers and employing cheaper contractors, sending planes to Indo for repairs/maintenance at much cheaper cost and questionable quality (using staples 😱 to connect cracked wiring, etc)

Laurie
Club Player

WHAT DO WE NEED TO DO as members and supporters of this club to make Lethlean accountable.
Obviously the Prez is not listening watching them both sitting next to each other could not help but think OMG what clowns we have leading our club.
As described it has become a boys club at top level.

If reappointing Ross Lyon is the answer GOD help us been there done that and shafted the club in the past.
We are the laughing stock of the AFL I truly feel sorry for the likes of Steele Sinclair Wilkie Windhagar Owens Wanganeen Milera Membery King Marshall and others to be involved in such a rabble of the club.

Rang the club yesterday and asked to cancel my membership we have been treated as fools and now being treated as mushrooms with review results not being made public until another couple of days and the coach being sacked prior to releasing the review.

Such an unprofessional approach but hey this is St.Kilda no wonder we have 1 premiership in 150 years and not likely to win another one soon.

They can all go and get S######

kell
Club Player

I wonder if StK has ever engaged a person as a result of being approached and offered a "package deal ? For example, "employ me, and others will follow"?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

kell wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 3:21pm I wonder if StK has ever engaged a person as a result of being approached and offered a "package deal ? For example, "employ me, and others will follow"?
Part of the reason they went after Blight was to also use that he was our coach to land some high profile players

Blight left, but at least the players stayed!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Vazelos
Club Player

I don’t think the culling is over yet and Lethlean would not be completely safe. Bassat’s review would have identified the problems and Lethlean mistakes would be front and square in front of him.
Remember now the mistakes were in a role he is no longer involved in so the question is “ is he a good CEO?” He was getting a very high position at AFL before his cheating scandal with a staff member so what’s his qualities?
He is not very well liked that’s for sure nor is Walsh who is known to be ruthless.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

It’s clear he’s an administrator not a footy person
CEO role will be a watch though…he must know he’s reputation has taken a few hits here … better get it right
Rath kinda feels useless in whatever role he’s now doing I’d send him to North …let new coach bring in their own analyst

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why was Rath so good at Hawthorn and so poor at StK

Lethlean knows his footy, no doubt about it.

But the doubling of his pay check, would mean he would rather the promotion to CEO which is the highest paying job at Most footy clubs.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 12:39pm Why was Rath so good at Hawthorn and so poor at StK

Lethlean knows his footy, no doubt about it.

But the doubling of his pay check, would mean he would rather the promotion to CEO which is the highest paying job at Most footy clubs.
Footy is an interesting industry....IMO:

- Rank & File staff are paid very lowly for supposed lure of the 'sexy' industry
- Many duties that could be argued should be completed by paid employees are filled by volunteers who love the club
- Assistant coaches are often lowly paid for the hours most work
- High profile Head Coaches are paid accordingly, new Head Coaches well under for level of responsibility and scrutiny
- CEO's are usually well under what they could get in large corporations but on scale with similar sized businesses but less incentives such as cash or shares, etc
- Players paid in accordance with their skill, risk and limited time at earning in the industry

We are unaware of what Lethlean does very well and what he has accomplished in the role(s) at the club as that is what he is paid for.
We all live and die in business by our mistakes and IMO he has his fingerprints over a few beauties:
- Hannebery
- Hill
- Extending Ratten

If he wasn't all over these he's a lame duck as they were big football decisions.

I think Gallagher may also go as list management has been poor and I assume Lethlean is untouchable to the moment.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

But Lethlean has just been appointed as CEO. Surely they wouldn’t sack him now. :)

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Getting roles confused

Those player decisions were list management decisions

Not sure Lethlean is responsible for those

Extending Ratten is a business decision
Made by CEO Finnis, ratified by the board

Lethlean ran the footy department- and did an average job at that -
Weren’t coached well
Weren’t fit enough
Drafting was ok
List management poor
Development just ok

All of those areas needed more scrutiny

stkfc1
Club Player

Needs to be part of the clean out, if the club is fair dinkum

Saints58
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 10:35am In my opinion, Lethlean has done far more damage to the club and set us back years, and cost us a lot of money:
-signing Hannas on big coin
-Hill the same
-extending Ratts for 2 years then having to pay 6 mths

If a senior coach is accountable, then how the eff does a snake oil salesman avoid scrutiny for a litany of ill-considered decisions?
'I had the best of intentions'
'At the time, it seemed the right call'

God...he belongs on the Qantas board, where he'd love sacking baggage handlers and employing cheaper contractors, sending planes to Indo for repairs/maintenance at much cheaper cost and questionable quality (using staples 😱 to connect cracked wiring, etc)
We have the best safety record in the word in Aircraft maintainance and Qantas wonts to save a few bucks by out saucing the maintenance to dodgy country's with low maintenance standards.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Clearly the footy department has improved under Simon. It takes time to replace deadwood and change flawed systems. Finiss was a big stumbling block. Loved Richo, was quite fond of Ratts and that influenced his decisions. SL has done a good job under very trying circumstances. Deserves a fair go. There is no magic wand. We are on the way up. I am sure North would snap him up if given the opportunity, but he is sticking fat with us. All strength to him.