Ross Lyon?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Re: Ross Lyon?

SaintPav wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 8:44pm Has a better candidate come along that is too good to refuse?

Is Lyon a bit of a decoy?

Just putting it out there.
The only other possibility is Beveridge, but I doubt he'd walk on the Bulldogs now.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 10:53pm We are a bent club ..Ross is bent ...come on home son ..
Two wrongs make a right.

And two bents make an S-Bend.

That is why we must not push 'Flush' for rebuild

No rebuild for heavens sake.

Work with what we have.

the current are massively underperforming, inconsistent, confused and devoid of system.

Tell me the current lot cannot do much, much better, as individuals, and as a team.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
silverhalo
Club Player

The fact that Ross Lyon still has strong connections with a number of players that played under him at the Saints all those years ago tells me a lot - these guys loved him
Sorry for Ratts but would love to see Ross the Boss at the helm again with a more attacking game plan :D

wally
Club Player

On another post about Essendon coaching it was mentioned Beveridge was going there but we now know Scott got it so maybe he is maybe moving, can’t see why. On radio news today BJ said Lyon was the go and he wanted an assistant job. Maybe I am still hungover and didn’t hear properly

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

While I feel absolutely devastated for Ratts, there is a solid argument that he did not really improve our players' performances on the field in successive seasons. Some have fallen back in terms of confidence in themselves and in a game plan.
IF .. players like Roo and Lenny and Goddard etc.. back Ross Lyon, players who know EXACTLY what he brings to the table in terms on communication, game plans and motivation, then I will concur with their sage advice and back the decision. Under Lyon we got to numerous finals series!
I also think Beveridge could be a great fit, given that we now MUST find an experienced coach IMO. Just get it done and move into the pre-season. Luke Beveridge was spotted at the airport going to Bali with a handful of dogs staff/players on a surfing trip - seems unlikely he will be leaving the den. 8-)
Go Saints!

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
kell
Club Player

Bevo..yes please. Solid individual!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Much as I’ve been critical of Lyon over the years - I thought we should have stuck with GT at the time and still think so - if it is going to win back St Kilda respect in the competition,then Lyon may be the way to go.

I’d be equally happy with Lenny in the hot seat wth Ross as senior advisor.

Just hope Rossco has learned two things. You must be able to kick goals to win matches - excellent defence isn’t enough.

The other is that you must keep the young players coming through.

Nothing drives excellence like competition, so to have talented kids pushing up is vital.

And nothing drives fan excitement like developing stars or superstars.

Go Saints

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 12:18pm Much as I’ve been critical of Lyon over the years - I thought we should have stuck with GT at the time and still think so - if it is going to win back St Kilda respect in the competition,then Lyon may be the way to go.

I’d be equally happy with Lenny in the hot seat wth Ross as senior advisor.

Just hope Rossco has learned two things. You must be able to kick goals to win matches - excellent defence isn’t enough.

The other is that you must keep the young players coming through.

Nothing drives excellence like competition, so to have talented kids pushing up is vital.

And nothing drives fan excitement like developing stars or superstars.

Go Saints
I knew you’d come round eventually Carl
I see 4 clubs have chased Lyon
GT, like that nut job Neeld from Melb has never been asked once…should really honestly tell you plenty
Anyhoo all aboard Rosco train..
I’m also, just quietly, a Bevo fan…if it goes that way..ok
But I get the feeling that Hayes return might’ve been a pre requisite to getting Lyon back…just feels like they’ve known their man for a little while..
strap in
“Anyone,anywhere, anytime” is back.
Geezus Saynta/Stinger must be choking on his Cornflakes…(tendency to eat softer foods as you get older).

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 5:38pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 5:07am
Lyon walked into 2 clubs with a ready made group of leaders and a platform that had already been established before he arrived

Apart from the fact that Lyon had a champion list of players and plethora of All Australian talent at his disposal at St Kilda and at Fremantle...

What makes Bassat think that Lyon is a bloke who inspires others to become leaders? Is there any evidence of this?

Winning games of football and (especially) winning finals and Grind Finals is based on having outstanding player leadership

I defy the sycophants and those drinking the Lyon branded Kool-Aid to answer these questions
Keep sinking
He’s coming for ya…
You’ll be onboard when we start winning
Like Vortex, Stinger and all the blowhards telling everyone
“Coach is fine…it’s nothing to do with the coach”
:D
No one has answered any specific questions I raised re leadership.

With St Kilda we had Robert Harvey, Aaron Hamill, Lenny Hayes, Luke Ball, and others including Nick who had a stint as captain in 2005. They were mentored by others and cut their teeth prior to Lyon joining us.

Out of all the players we had at St Kilda Roo may have been the least mature leader and once Lyon made him sole captain, he was definitely the person most influenced by his new mentor and senior coach. Let me put it another way for you…and this will hurt some people who are Nick Riewoldt devotees just as much as they are Lyon devotees…what makes Riewoldt a great captain?

Why did Lyon think he was the best choice as leader? I’m not questioning Nick as a player. I’m not questioning his work ethic or his ability to play the game at a consistently high level. I am asking how Nick made others around him better? How did Nick help embrace and inspire the next generation?

With the other club Ross coached he also found ready made leaders with Luke McPharlin, Sandilands, Pavlich and David Mundy as well as Nathan Fyfe who he later anointed as captain. Out of all the leaders Lyon had at his disposal, Fyfe was probably the one who was most influenced by Lyon and Lyon’s style of leadership and Lyon’s mentoring.

What makes Nathan Fyfe a great captain?

Does Lyon have the runs on the board as far as being a great mentor or a teacher of leaders? No he doesn’t! They were handed to him just like he was handed two quality lists when he first walked in at both clubs. He may develop a player or two because they are star struck and he is a hard task master….but he is not going to build a dynasty or create sustained success. That’s a fantasy

Apart from the fact that your pecker is about to explode if Ross is announced as coach, let’s analyse the current leadership group we have at St Kilda in 2022. Where are the great leaders at his disposal going to come from? Or…will Ross turn them into great leaders like he has before…he has a track record of that does he? Fantasy land again

Name any assistant coaches who were mentored by Ross and they are putting their hand up to be a senior coach at AFL level

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ram it down our throats in multiple threads using appeal to emotion and ignoring the factual evidence. 🤡

🥱

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

RL's installment as coach would be wrong for many, many reasons, but it's just one more thing we will need to grin and bear and go along with, if it happens.
You need to be accomodating and forgiving (very!) to be and remain a St Kilda supporter, as we all know.

Pity Bevo wasn't out of contract.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Some classic RTB on footy classifieds re Essondon coaching position.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I worry that Ross will promote 'role players' from the Zebs,
and ignore NWM+Owens.
He's done it before, Jack Steven said Scott Watters spoke to him more times in 3 months than Tosser had ever spoken to him in the entire time he'd been therr

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Never coached a side he couldn't leave in worse shape than he found it.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 12:25am
Teflon wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 5:38pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 15 Oct 2022 5:07am
Lyon walked into 2 clubs with a ready made group of leaders and a platform that had already been established before he arrived

Apart from the fact that Lyon had a champion list of players and plethora of All Australian talent at his disposal at St Kilda and at Fremantle...

What makes Bassat think that Lyon is a bloke who inspires others to become leaders? Is there any evidence of this?

Winning games of football and (especially) winning finals and Grind Finals is based on having outstanding player leadership

I defy the sycophants and those drinking the Lyon branded Kool-Aid to answer these questions
Keep sinking
He’s coming for ya…
You’ll be onboard when we start winning
Like Vortex, Stinger and all the blowhards telling everyone
“Coach is fine…it’s nothing to do with the coach”
:D
No one has answered any specific questions I raised re leadership.

With St Kilda we had Robert Harvey, Aaron Hamill, Lenny Hayes, Luke Ball, and others including Nick who had a stint as captain in 2005. They were mentored by others and cut their teeth prior to Lyon joining us.

Out of all the players we had at St Kilda Roo may have been the least mature leader and once Lyon made him sole captain, he was definitely the person most influenced by his new mentor and senior coach. Let me put it another way for you…and this will hurt some people who are Nick Riewoldt devotees just as much as they are Lyon devotees…what makes Riewoldt a great captain?

Why did Lyon think he was the best choice as leader? I’m not questioning Nick as a player. I’m not questioning his work ethic or his ability to play the game at a consistently high level. I am asking how Nick made others around him better? How did Nick help embrace and inspire the next generation?

With the other club Ross coached he also found ready made leaders with Luke McPharlin, Sandilands, Pavlich and David Mundy as well as Nathan Fyfe who he later anointed as captain. Out of all the leaders Lyon had at his disposal, Fyfe was probably the one who was most influenced by Lyon and Lyon’s style of leadership and Lyon’s mentoring.

What makes Nathan Fyfe a great captain?

Does Lyon have the runs on the board as far as being a great mentor or a teacher of leaders? No he doesn’t! They were handed to him just like he was handed two quality lists when he first walked in at both clubs. He may develop a player or two because they are star struck and he is a hard task master….but he is not going to build a dynasty or create sustained success. That’s a fantasy

Apart from the fact that your pecker is about to explode if Ross is announced as coach, let’s analyse the current leadership group we have at St Kilda in 2022. Where are the great leaders at his disposal going to come from? Or…will Ross turn them into great leaders like he has before…he has a track record of that does he? Fantasy land again

Name any assistant coaches who were mentored by Ross and they are putting their hand up to be a senior coach at AFL level
Lyon is a natural born leader of men. It's actually not easy to teach and can't be taught to someone who's not a born leader. You can only identify a leader and give them the opportunity to lead. You can't produce them with a cookie cutter.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

It's better the devil you know. All his ex players love him. There must be a reason.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not all of his ex players

Just the ex stars now in the media

Most outside of the top dozen didn’t like him at all

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 12:33pm
Lyon is a natural born leader of men. It's actually not easy to teach and can't be taught to someone who's not a born leader. You can only identify a leader and give them the opportunity to lead. You can't produce them with a cookie cutter.
Hogwash. Becoming a captain and becoming a leader in the AFL (especially with coaching) is something that is taught.

I understand this is not an area you want to discuss and you want to throw cliche after cliche at me, but this is professional sport. They use data and analysis….not bulllshiit phrases that don’t mean anything. ‘Natural born leader’ my ass!! No wonder Mr ‘No Presentation’ doesn’t want to go through a process. He wants to tell us that the ‘cobblers are there to cobble’ ffs!!

You can’t captain a team or lead a team without a teacher. There are countless examples of teenagers who arrive at a footy club, and due to the maturity and mentoring and teaching from their coach, they go on to become great leaders.

Think of all the players under David Parkin, Robert Walls, Leigh Matthews, Kevin Sheedy, Dennis Pagan, and even Mick Malthouse and Choco Williams. There are dozens of players who have stayed in the industry and some of them have become senior coaches.

Even with men who didn’t win flags like Gary Ayres and Neale Daniher. They too had a number of their players who have stayed in the industry

How many of the players who were under Ross Lyon at St Kilda have stayed in the industry and are cutting their teeth at senior AFL level as full time or part time coaches? Dal Santo doesn’t count by the way and Lenny was a star and a captain of St Kilda before Lyon arrived

How many assistant coaches that have worked under Ross Lyon are in the caper and are applying for jobs as a senior AFL coach?

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 12:57pm
Hogwash. Becoming a captain and becoming a leader in the AFL (especially with coaching) is something that is taught.

I understand this is not an area you want to discuss and you want to throw cliche after cliche at me, but this is professional sport. They use data and analysis….not bulllshiit phrases that don’t mean anything. ‘Natural born leader’ my ass!! No wonder Mr ‘No Presentation’ doesn’t want to go through a process. He wants to tell us that the ‘cobblers are there to cobble’ ffs!!

You can’t captain a team or lead a team without a teacher. There are countless examples of teenagers who arrive at a footy club, and due to the maturity and mentoring and teaching from their coach, they go on to become great leaders.

Think of all the players under David Parkin, Robert Walls, Leigh Matthews, Kevin Sheedy, Dennis Pagan, and even Mick Malthouse and Choco Williams. There are dozens of players who have stayed in the industry and some of them have become senior coaches.

Even with men who didn’t win flags like Gary Ayres and Neale Daniher. They too had a number of their players who have stayed in the industry

How many of the players who were under Ross Lyon at St Kilda have stayed in the industry and are cutting their teeth at senior AFL level as full time or part time coaches? Dal Santo doesn’t count by the way and Lenny was a star and a captain of St Kilda before Lyon arrived

How many assistant coaches that have worked under Ross Lyon are in the caper and are applying for jobs as a senior AFL coach?

Since you respond with an essay, why don't you give us 1500 words on how to create a leader. How would you construct a Lenny Hayes or indeed a Winston Churchill?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 1:39pm

Since you respond with an essay, why don't you give us 1500 words on how to create a leader. How would you construct a Lenny Hayes or indeed a Winston Churchill?
Whenever any one writes more than 150 words it’s a bit confusing for you isn’t. You don’t even know WTF you’re doing when you quote someone. What’s with the double vision?

Here’s a simple task for you… Why don’t you GAGF mr TBM

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

no to RL
simply a big fat definitive NO

Seeya
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 3:19pm
The G Train Legacy wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 1:39pm

Whenever any one writes more than 150 words it’s a bit confusing for you isn’t. You don’t even know WTF you’re doing when you quote someone. What’s with the double vision?

Here’s a simple task for you… Why don’t you GAGF mr TBM
So you don't know how to make a leader? Should ask your HR Manager.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We can squirm all we like here on this forum, but just as our club paid no attention to our protests and pleas when they went after and got Hannebery and McCartin ... looks like they will ignore us once again with R.L. (and his 30% W/L over the last 4 years of his coaching - and his sacking by Freo).

We just have to accept our club's pig-headedness.

It's a done deal, by the looks of it.
Last edited by samoht on Mon 17 Oct 2022 5:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 10:22am I worry that Ross will promote 'role players' from the Zebs,
and ignore NWM+Owens.
He's done it before, Jack Steven said Scott Watters spoke to him more times in 3 months than Tosser had ever spoken to him in the entire time he'd been therr
Deserves a repost

Saints58
Club Player

samoht wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 5:41pm We can squirm all we like here on this forum, but just as our club paid no attention to our protests and pleas when they went after and got Hannebery and McCartin ... looks like they will ignore us once again with R.L. (and his 30% W/L over the last 4 years of his coaching - and his sacking by Freo).

We just have to accept our club's pig-headedness.

It's a done deal, by the looks of it.
Didn't he leave freo under a cloud with some harassment allegations do we really wont a guy like that at the saints I think not.