Ross Lyon a huge get

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cps
Club Player

Re: Ross Lyon a huge get

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 3:21pm
So the $64 million question is, has Ross Lyon learnt from these experiences??? His overall arrogant nature suggests he is incapable of changing his autocratic style, which I'm quite sure was a major factor when Fremantle decided to give him the boot, especially as in the last 4 years of his stint he achieved a very poor 33.475% win loss record with the Dockers.

It is that last stat that I hope the powers that be at Moorabbin ask him to explain in full if it gets to the point where he is given serious consideration for the top job, because in his first 4 years there he achieved a very impressive 70.1% before falling off the cliff.
I'm with you on this question. I posted a related question asking why Ross was sacked by Fremantle on the Opposition Forum and no-one really seemed able to answer it fully. "loris" posted the following:
He said Lyon’s message to some players were falling on deaf ears, development wasn’t there. also there had been a revolving door of assistant coaches over his time. He said the Board had to stop the rot. He reckons Lyon unless he has changed his manner & personality & methods considerably he only has a life span as a coach of 5-6 years before things go pear shaped.
The obvious question is why was the message falling on deaf ears?

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 4:46pm
Rocket wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 4:27pm 5 year, 5 million deal is done … announced back end of week

Great result
Geez good news but what’s that leave us soft cap wise to fill the gaps (aka Lyon on re it’d saying if he coaches again he wants a dedicated attack coach ..) just hope we got some coin to afford one..
Heard this elsewhere, apparently Andrew Fox is subsidising Lyon''s salary.

sks023
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 3:17pm David King, during the season and in recent days, described Ratten's game plan as "fraudulent"

One thing I can count on is that Lyon's game plan, whatever it is, will not be fraudulent
The same David King who was bullish about the Saints before the bye

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 4:46pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 3:50pm
How bizarre
The king of “it’s all the list not the coach”….after club sacks the coach….? Conveniently IGNORES the fact that by the end of tenure at Freo he was bringing through kids - Serong, Brayshaw didn’t start under Mark Harvey?
What happened to your “it’s not the coach it’s the list at his disposal” argument in that instance?????? Or you decide that doesn’t apply to Lyon cause you don’t like him?
You also, along with many others who choose to purely get their opinions from the Herald Sun, don’t like how Lyon left us - fair enough, but again, in the interests of the full story, neglect to put some of that blame on the way our club (and dead shyte Nettlefold) handed Lyons contract negotiations by trying to low ball him on a deal ??? The players know the full story - it’s why they weren’t p!ssed at Lyon.
The funniest thing from your post is your hope that Blake keeps an eye on all these ex Saints players who, mysteriously are saying we’d have rocks in our heads not to appoint Lyon - who would have a better view than them??
Oh and for hood measure ….Pavlich has named Lyon best coach he’s ever had…
Think you just need to put the hate aside and try be a little objective
You're wrong, I've never argued that Ratten had ever proved that he was a good coach, just the inconsistency of you and others not acknowledging that Ratten could coach when the team had won 8 from 11 at the half-way mark, before they fell of the cliff.

Your allegation that I get my opinions from the Herald Sun, or any other media for that matter is a bloody insult - I have always made up my mind on matters St Kilda based on my own research and consider Mark Robinson in particular, as well as some on Fox Sports, lack total objectivity in their analysis, and mostly disagree with much of their commentary.

Your quote of Matthew Pavlich raving about Ross Lyon as his best coach ever is no different to what Riewoldt, Goddard and other past players say about Lyon - when has any star player in a successful team ever bagged his former coach??? Doesn't happen.....

When Lyon arrived at the Dockers in 2012 he inherited a pretty healthy list from Mark Harvey, and at the time the Freo Board had decided Harvey wasn't the man to take them all the way, and yes, Ross did take them to a GF in his 2nd year. But in Lyon's last 4 seasons at Freo he had the following success rate:

2016: 18.2% - finished 16th
2017: 36.4% - 14th
2018: 36.4% - 14th
2019: 42.9% - 13th

What all this suggests to me is that all Lyon has ever proved is that he is great when he has a strong list, but is incapable of building an average list into a successful team. Nor has he ever proven that he can win a premiership.....

I stick by my hope that past players seeking to persuade the club to appoint any former coach who they love or admire to fill the vacancy at their old club - any independent-minded director with a clear understanding of their responsibilities should reject that sort of bias!

Contrary to your assertion that I HATE - I've had a long and successful life and I can assure you that hatefulness is not in my nature, not even towards people online who piss me off!

It’s such an ignorant narrow minded view to suggest Ross hasn’t won a Premiership as if that proves ultimately he can/can’t coach.

In my view the coaches job is to get them there … what happens on the day can be anyones guess.. to get within a kick 2 years in a row and challenge the clearly the best side in the other year , and repeatedly challenging in other years .. that’s the sign of a good coach . A coach who gives his side the opportunity to compete at the end of the season

The way the results fell on the day doesn’t make him any less of a coach

I’d suggest you actually go back and look at Lyons list inherited list in 08 and what he managed to do with that list (who was strong top end but was not a stellar list at the bottom end and not all that recruiting was Lyons fault) just 1 year later in 09????? THAT difference didn’t come from major list overhauls in that 1 year timeframe it came from an introduction of proper systems and a game plan ge got players to buy into that GT could only dream of.

Lyons now has taken EVERY team he’s coached to a GF …there’s a stat for ya but you still think he can’t coach??

Mark Harvey???? GT??? Couldn’t even get their sides there and I’d argue Thomas had much better depth to work with than Lyon…

Compare it to Ratten…who many here tell you had a terrible list to work with..

When he inherited the list, he was part of one of the biggest hauls of talent we’ve had since the mid 00s with the injection of Hill, Ryder, Howard and Jones. On top of this he had emerging talent in Steele, Marshall, Gresham and Billing’s as well as unproven (untapped) youth in King, Clark & Coffield.

Each of these players have had the potential to be A graders, and some the potential to be top 5 players in their position.

Oh and sorry utter drivel to suggest that these ex players who suggest Lyon is a top coach must just have stars in their eyes and need objectivity support is just nonsense. These guys are professional AFL footballers..,I suspect if they’re advocating Lyon it’s because they know he’s good.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 6:07pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 4:46pm
Rocket wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 4:27pm 5 year, 5 million deal is done … announced back end of week

Great result
Geez good news but what’s that leave us soft cap wise to fill the gaps (aka Lyon on re it’d saying if he coaches again he wants a dedicated attack coach ..) just hope we got some coin to afford one..
Heard this elsewhere, apparently Andrew Fox is subsidising Lyon''s salary.
Great
Just put the missus on at Linfox
All Cotton on like!

“Yeah….nah””
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Not the right coach for us. Lyons turns god teams into great teams ie he needs the ground work already done. That’s why he got us and freo to the big dance. But once the teams aged the final appearances disappeared.

I am writing off next year so let’s get a coach that hasn’t been let go from another club ie an assistant coach ready for the step up. And let’s be honest next year is pretty much a write off now

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

It's hardly an ageing team that we have. How many players are over 30? Just one. And that's Campbell.

Owens, Windhager, King, Wanganeen-Milera, Higgins, Coffield, Clark, and Sharman can all get better.

Hopefully, we can bring in at least two more youngsters of genuine talent and AFL standard in this draft

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

cps wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 5:55pm
Sanctorum wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 3:21pm
So the $64 million question is, has Ross Lyon learnt from these experiences??? His overall arrogant nature suggests he is incapable of changing his autocratic style, which I'm quite sure was a major factor when Fremantle decided to give him the boot, especially as in the last 4 years of his stint he achieved a very poor 33.475% win loss record with the Dockers.

It is that last stat that I hope the powers that be at Moorabbin ask him to explain in full if it gets to the point where he is given serious consideration for the top job, because in his first 4 years there he achieved a very impressive 70.1% before falling off the cliff.
I'm with you on this question. I posted a related question asking why Ross was sacked by Fremantle on the Opposition Forum and no-one really seemed able to answer it fully. "loris" posted the following:
He said Lyon’s message to some players were falling on deaf ears, development wasn’t there. also there had been a revolving door of assistant coaches over his time. He said the Board had to stop the rot. He reckons Lyon unless he has changed his manner & personality & methods considerably he only has a life span as a coach of 5-6 years before things go pear shaped.
The obvious question is why was the message falling on deaf ears?
Let’s unravel the mystery
So he’s coached 2012-2019
Made finals 1st year 2012
Improved in 2013 making finals and top 4 (second time in clubs history) making the GF losing by 15pts to Hawks
Made finals again the following year 2014
Coached Freo to 1st ever Minor Premiership in 2015 winning 12 of first 13 games
Freo achieved an avg 33.4% W/L percentage in Lyons last 4 years by this stage the side was transitioning younger players through
In Lyons final season the team won more games than 2018 missing 7-8 players from their starting best 22 including; Hogan, Lobb, Taberner up forward, Pearce, Wilson, Ryan down back
In his final years he brought through youth including key current stare such as Serong and Brayshaw.

Nick Riewoldts take on Lyons Freo departure?? (he’d know nothing..)

“I think the facts would say that it’s the wrong call — and because I’ve been coached by him,” he said on Fox Footy.
“When you look at the form this year, I don’t think they’ve underachieved. I think they’ve done pretty well with a really difficult situation. I don’t understand that (sacking him). It feels like there’s been a bit of an agenda over there this year.

On Lyons ability to adapt his style of coaching??

The long-time Saints captain also argued that Lyon has changed his ways in recent years, becoming a more modern coach.

“I think he’s smart. He understands that he’s had to adapt,” he said.

“The way he’s coached at Fremantle, and I speak to Ross regularly, it’s not the same way he coached at St Kilda. Because the game has changed, the players have changed, the expectations on the way you interact with the coach and the way you are held accountable.

“That landscape has changed for all clubs and for all coaches, not just Ross.”

On Lyons so called only likes dealing with gun players Riewoldt said :

Riewoldt also moved to rebuke the argument that many players don’t like playing under Lyon because he favours the best of the group.

Instead he suggested players who don’t try their hardest, or “softies” as he put it, are the ones that struggle under him.

“I know the external perception of Rossy is it’s only the top 25 players that he likes, and he only likes the stars, he only likes the guns. That’s not true at all,” he said.

“Rossy loves the blokes that have a crack. So on our list at the time it was players like Rob Eddy and Andrew McQualter, they’re Rossy’s disciples because he valued and he put a high premium on blokes that had it.

“The guys that Rossy grated on were the softies or the ones that didn’t necessarily work hard all the time and got challenged and didn’t like it. They’re the ones in my experience that haven’t gelled with Rossy.”

Anyway won’t change the haters narrative they’ll write it off that Nicks just a love struck fool!

“Yeah….nah””
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

YEP!! Lets get the coach that was SOUNDLY OUTCOACHED in THREE Grand finals (four if you count the draw) This bloke took a squad that included: Ball, Goddard, Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Riewoldt, Kositzche, Milne, Gardner to the "big dance" to be beaten! Same story with Freo! Sandilands, Pavlich and Co beaten!

I wouldnt have this turd within a bulls roar of the club!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Saynta will be pleased

SaintJohno
Club Player

I like it. Sounds like there may be a few blokes needing to put their big boy pants on. Selection integrity perhaps?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The bottom line seems to that you give everything on the training track and everything onfield or you don't play.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

1971 wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 4:52pm In 2010, I was invited to a small function run by a bank where Ross Lyon was the guest speaker. He showed footage of the 2009 GF. Not the game but the reaction of broken hearted supporters after the game. I can't recall his exact words but I recall being quite moved by how upset he was for those supporters. He seemed very genuine to me.
wow

i love that story

i experienced that at Linton St
day after the replay against the maggots

the old boys at the back were dying inside
... poor buggers
Last edited by asiu on Sun 16 Oct 2022 7:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Wow Jiggster. I've never known you to be so damning of anyone involved with the Saints.

cps
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 7:21pm
Improved in 2013 making finals and top 4 (second time in clubs history) making the GF losing by 15pts to Hawks
Freo achieved an avg 33.4% W/L percentage in Lyons last 4 years by this stage the side was transitioning younger players through
In Lyons final season the team won more games than 2018 missing 7-8 players from their starting best 22 including; Hogan, Lobb, Taberner up forward, Pearce, Wilson, Ryan down back
In his final years he brought through youth including key current stare such as Serong and Brayshaw.
So are you suggesting that Lyon's coaching at Fremantle was ok (within the limitations you point out)? If so, that doesn't explain why they decided to sack him.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 7:33pm Wow Jiggster. I've never known you to be so damning of anyone involved with the Saints.
An absolute SHITHOUSE!!! He comes....... watch this club implode!

Rubyjo
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 7:28pm YEP!! Lets get the coach that was SOUNDLY OUTCOACHED in THREE Grand finals (four if you count the draw) This bloke took a squad that included: Ball, Goddard, Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Riewoldt, Kositzche, Milne, Gardner to the "big dance" to be beaten! Same story with Freo! Sandilands, Pavlich and Co beaten!

Bought a membership then burned it 2 weeks later if Lyon gets the job ..lol

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 7:28pm YEP!! Lets get the coach that was SOUNDLY OUTCOACHED in THREE Grand finals (four if you count the draw) This bloke took a squad that included: Ball, Goddard, Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Riewoldt, Kositzche, Milne, Gardner to the "big dance" to be beaten! Same story with Freo! Sandilands, Pavlich and Co beaten!

Outcoached???? Surely you’d taking the piss.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Cautious because Curly knows things, but why isn't Don Pyke a significantly better option than Ross, if Don wants the job. Ross would be a big risk. Board might think too big. Although they were ok with the deGoey bid. Whatever, please get it right.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 7:49pm

STAND BY EVERY f****** SYLLABLE!!! OVERATED!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 7:49pm

Bought a membership then burned it 2 weeks later if Lyon gets the job ..lol
Really? You'd let that decision dictate whether you stay a member? Ive renewed and will continue to, regardless of who the coach is...... I dont have to cream my jeans at the prospect of Lyin coming back however

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 7:58pm
CURLY wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 7:49pm

STAND BY EVERY f****** SYLLABLE!!! OVERATED!
The question remains.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 6:33pm Not the right coach for us. Lyons turns god teams into great teams ie he needs the ground work already done. That’s why he got us and freo to the big dance. But once the teams aged the final appearances disappeared.

I am writing off next year so let’s get a coach that hasn’t been let go from another club ie an assistant coach ready for the step up. And let’s be honest next year is pretty much a write off now
Lazy
Go look at our list
It’s Lyon made I’d argue and under achieving
Think the Board think same
Also you’re ignoring what we now have in place that we didn’t have last time Lyon coached us….don’t think we’ll be topping up

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

cps wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 7:39pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 7:21pm
So are you suggesting that Lyon's coaching at Fremantle was ok (within the limitations you point out)? If so, that doesn't explain why they decided to sack him.
I think Nick Riewoldt is suggesting the sacking was unfair based on the list he was working with at the end abd what results he had achieved in that final year.
It’s also 8 years……I don’t (and hope) IF he coaches us he’ll be there in 8 years. …I think you have to turn them over as the message can get stale (I know there’s exceptions to that but they’re exceptions).
Anyway
Bombers, Blues, Cats and Norf pre Noble thought he was worth approaching…..if the Freo departure was such a bombshell I’m not sure they would ?

“Yeah….nah””
The Recruit
Club Player

Ross has already signed
Gags is gone