Ross Lyon a huge get

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Recruit
Club Player

Re: Ross Lyon a huge get

Ross has already signed
Gags is gone

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 7:28pm YEP!! Lets get the coach that was SOUNDLY OUTCOACHED in THREE Grand finals (four if you count the draw) This bloke took a squad that included: Ball, Goddard, Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Riewoldt, Kositzche, Milne, Gardner to the "big dance" to be beaten! Same story with Freo! Sandilands, Pavlich and Co beaten!

I wouldnt have this turd within a bulls roar of the club!!!
Spoken like an emotional train wreck
But you’d have the other imbecile back that rent a quotes us in the media weekly and had a better list at his disposal and couldn’t even get us to a GF????
Great logic there..

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 6:52pm It's hardly an ageing team that we have. How many players are over 30? Just one. And that's Campbell.

Owens, Windhager, King, Wanganeen-Milera, Higgins, Coffield, Clark, and Sharman can all get better.

Hopefully, we can bring in at least two more youngsters of genuine talent and AFL standard in this draft
Spot on
I think they know this list has more upside
I’d argue before Tarranto etc this list was on par with Tigers and Pies and good enough for bottom half of the 8
Played like headless chooks cause they were surrounded by a game plan that’s main tactic was @just pressure them” with not much else.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 7:56pm Cautious because Curly knows things, but why isn't Don Pyke a significantly better option than Ross, if Don wants the job. Ross would be a big risk. Board might think too big. Although they were ok with the deGoey bid. Whatever, please get it right.
Why is Dons record better than Lyons?
I’m not against it but not sure he has Lyons runs on the board at 2 clubs
Bevo does….he’s interesting.. but can’t see him leaving that list they ought to be top 4 with their talent

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 8:17pm Ross has already signed
Gags is gone
Better not be Trout back then I’m all in against Lyon.. Cripps…welcome home buddy !!

“Yeah….nah””
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

cps wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 7:39pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 7:21pm
Let’s unravel the mystery
So he’s coached 2012-2019
Made finals 1st year 2012
Improved in 2013 making finals and top 4 (second time in clubs history) making the GF losing by 15pts to Hawks
Made finals again the following year 2014
Coached Freo to 1st ever Minor Premiership in 2015 winning 12 of first 13 games
Freo achieved an avg 33.4% W/L percentage in Lyons last 4 years by this stage the side was transitioning younger players through
In Lyons final season the team won more games than 2018 missing 7-8 players from their starting best 22 including; Hogan, Lobb, Taberner up forward, Pearce, Wilson, Ryan down back
In his final years he brought through youth including key current stare such as Serong and Brayshaw.
So are you suggesting that Lyon's coaching at Fremantle was ok (within the limitations you point out)? If so, that doesn't explain why they decided to sack him.
The core of the current Freo team have Lyon's fingerprints all over it.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

The Recruit wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 8:17pm Ross has already signed
Gags is gone
If that's the case then we may have Cripps.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 8:18pm
thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 7:28pm YEP!! Lets get the coach that was SOUNDLY OUTCOACHED in THREE Grand finals (four if you count the draw) This bloke took a squad that included: Ball, Goddard, Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Riewoldt, Kositzche, Milne, Gardner to the "big dance" to be beaten! Same story with Freo! Sandilands, Pavlich and Co beaten!

But you’d have the other imbecile back that rent a quotes us in the media weekly and had a better list at his disposal and couldn’t even get us to a GF????
Great logic there..
Just WHAT the f*** are you talking about??? WHAT "imbecile"? For gods sake mate, please let ME put the words into my own mouth! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 8:23pm
Yorkeys wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 7:56pm Cautious because Curly knows things, but why isn't Don Pyke a significantly better option than Ross, if Don wants the job. Ross would be a big risk. Board might think too big. Although they were ok with the deGoey bid. Whatever, please get it right.
Bevo does….he’s interesting.. but can’t see him leaving that list they ought to be top 4 with their talent
Yeah, poorly phrased. I was thinking of Ross's range of results and personal qualities/controversies. He has had three best teams and failed to get a premiership. That seems a very poor strike rate.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Three best teams?

Explain??

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 9:18pm
Yeah, poorly phrased. I was thinking of Ross's range of results and personal qualities/controversies. He has had three best teams and failed to get a premiership. That seems a very poor strike rate.
Really?
His record of GF appearances in modern times is up there with some of the best …he’s not a Premiership cos h but I agree with Riewoldt….that’s a binary, poor measure to determine if someone is a good coach or not
300 odd games at 57% ain’t bad..,

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 9:18pm

Great logic there..
Just WHAT the f*** are you talking about??? WHAT "imbecile"? For gods sake mate, please let ME put the words into my own mouth! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry doesn’t matter
Think you’re gonna get your turd and THANK **** you ain’t choosing our coaches !!

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

If Ross was the pick. I wouldn’t be too disheartened

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

The Fireman wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 9:58pm If Ross was the pick. I wouldn’t be too disheartened
I'm a bit the same mate don't love it but better than Ratt's

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

This explains a bit ….Finnis pushed to re-sign Ratten??? If so thank **** he’s gone what a woke muppet article The Roar

Why did St Kilda re-sign Ratten only to sack him 100 days later?
When Ratten penned a two-year extension, the club was humming. Finals looked a certainty at 8-3 and CEO Matt Finnis, with just months left in the role, was keen for stability.

The last thing Finnis wanted was to spend his final days fending off questions around the coach’s future. So he, with support from the board, extended Ratten. The coach wanted three years, but he got two.

A month ago Finnis left his post and Simon Lethlean stepped up as the new CEO. Finnis was big on culture, identity, values and social issues. But he was often critiqued for his lack of footy nous. The Saints did many great things in his nine-year tenure, but footy wasn’t one of them. That, after all, is the core business.
Advertisement
Lethlean is the opposite to Finnis. He’s a ‘footy guy,’ who has had a hands-on role within the football department for several years now. To understand the sacking, you need to understand the disparity between Lethlean and Finnis. They are polar opposites.

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

As a non-RL that is somewhat resigned to the announcement of his imminent signing, I have just one wish…

I’d hate for him to work predominantly junior/green assistants.

Would love just 1-2 seasoned’ish or hardened assistants that would not be afraid to challenge him and dig in against a bad idea.

I think that’s been lacking a bit in our club for a decade +.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 11:20pm As a non-RL that is somewhat resigned to the announcement of his imminent signing, I have just one wish…

I’d hate for him to work predominantly junior/green assistants.

Would love just 1-2 seasoned’ish or hardened assistants that would not be afraid to challenge him and dig in against a bad idea.

I think that’s been lacking a bit in our club for a decade +.
I think Enright from a good system and Hayes are well respected
I also think Walsh on board over the top of footy drastically changes the landscape
Let’s remember…last time Lyon was at Saints he was working out of a tin shed doing many additional jobs hi self cause he had too
That’s not the case now and I think he’s learnt

“Yeah….nah””
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 9:45pm
Yorkeys wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 9:18pm
Really?
His record of GF appearances in modern times is up there with some of the best …he’s not a Premiership cos h but I agree with Riewoldt….that’s a binary, poor measure to determine if someone is a good coach or not
300 odd games at 57% ain’t bad..,
What if above all else he is a Jonah?

Doesn't matter how good the side is he coaches it doesn't get it done on the day.

All the waste and destroyed dreams he has left in his wake.

But his integrity, his integrity, is never in question. He says so.

Shane might even ask him about choking on the big days if there ever is another presser.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I though Enright was in the bag, not Lyon?

Ajantis
Club Player

You only want Ross Lyon because he was the only coach St.Kilda had to make finals. 10 +years ago.
So they think by getting Lyon again he will make an impact...
Lets get real ffs, we drafted well 10+ years ago and when the s*** hit the fan and he could not get them over the line, he ran away, and with our current team you think he is going to make an difference.
omg....
Bite the bullet St.Kilda and merg with Tasmania, start a fresh....

Rubyjo
Club Player

Ajantis wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 7:12am You only want Ross Lyon because he was the only coach St.Kilda had to make finals. 10 +years ago.
Lets get real ffs, we drafted well 10+ years ago and when the s*** hit the fan and he could not get them over the line, he ran away, and with our current team you think he is going to make an difference.
omg....
Do you think of that all by yourself..well done you are an original thinker.

Ajantis
Club Player

Rubyjo wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 9:40am
Ajantis wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 7:12am You only want Ross Lyon because he was the only coach St.Kilda had to make finals. 10 +years ago.
omg....
Do you think of that all by yourself..well done you are an original thinker.
wow

saynta
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 3:08pm
CURLY wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 2:23pm If we can land Lyon it will be a huge win. Ross was heavily chased by Collingwood Carlton Essendon amongst others.
Let’s remember he turned them down not the other way around. He clearly is rated incredibly high in the football industry.

The media will try there best to make it negative but make no mistake this would be huge.
Short memory must have a.
Sorry CURLY but damienc is spot on with his comment.

The only person in football I detest more than the Snott brothers is Tosser Lyin.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Great logic there..
One of the Lyin cult. :P :roll: :roll:

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 10:38am
damienc wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 3:08pm
CURLY wrote: Sun 16 Oct 2022 2:23pm If we can land Lyon it will be a huge win. Ross was heavily chased by Collingwood Carlton Essendon amongst others.
Let’s remember he turned them down not the other way around. He clearly is rated incredibly high in the football industry.

The media will try there best to make it negative but make no mistake this would be huge.
Short memory must have a.
Sorry CURLY but damienc is spot on with his comment.

The only person in football I detest more than the Snott brothers is Tosser Lyin.
Couldn't kid if Bin Laden coached us if he was the best coach.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL