Ross Lyon?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Re: Ross Lyon?

Scollop wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 8:34am He also knocked back taking on McGowan in WA and Albenese in Canberra

Most recently he knocked the role of Governer General of Australia...and he told Charles he'd love to help out Truss, but he's had some issues working with women
Is that the best criticism of him you can conjure? That he upset a Secretary at Freo. Couldn't care less.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Funny too how someone started a thread that says Ross Lyon loves St Kilda...

Of course he does...Tell us Ross; How many Saints memberships did you buy last year?

What's that...None! Wow... that's not good

How many Carlton memberships Ross?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 9:15am
Scollop wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 8:34am He also knocked back taking on McGowan in WA and Albenese in Canberra

Most recently he knocked the role of Governer General of Australia...and he told Charles he'd love to help out Truss, but he's had some issues working with women
Is that the best criticism of him you can conjure? That he upset a Secretary at Freo. Couldn't care less.
He was upset with her because he was explaining 'the Billings Method' and she didn't get it

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 9:20am
The G Train Legacy wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 9:15am

He was upset with her because he was explaining 'the Billings Method' and she didn't get it
Is that a reflection on his coaching ability? He also upset a lot of staff at the Saints. In a competent organisation such things can be managed. Of course at the time at Moorabbin (Westaway/Nettlefold era), the Club wasn't competently managed.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

And if it was competently coached with the amount of talent at his disposal in 2009 we'd have our 2nd flag...all imho

Who thrashes their engine when you're 2 laps ahead? He's a follower. Not a leader

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 9:38am And if it was competently coached with the amount of talent at his disposal in 2009 we'd have our 2nd flag...all imho

Who thrashes their engine when you're 2 laps ahead? He's a follower. Not a leader
Compared to Geelongs talent he did well to get us close.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
suss
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 9:46am
Scollop wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 9:38am And if it was competently coached with the amount of talent at his disposal in 2009 we'd have our 2nd flag...all imho

Compared to Geelongs talent he did well to get us close.
Agree. That Geelong team was the most talented team put on a football oval in the past 20 years. Only the Brisbane team of 2002/2003 is comparable.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Our opposition had more talent at its disposal. Our bottom 6 wouldn't have got a game at many other Clubs. Yet in the end missed opportunities cost us not Lyon's competence or lack of. He prepared a team and systems for a List with limitations that was able to get to a GF and win it.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The point I was trying to make was that he fuc*ed up his timing in 2009. After sitting at 15 wins it was time to rest his Rolls Royces.

Maybe a rotation of 2 weeks off for his stars. Get them in back to gain some momentum leading into finals

What's the point of being the best team in home and away (with games in hand) if you don't use that advantage for finals

Give them a rest and have them revving at full throttle again in rounds 20 and 21.

We stumbled our way through the final couple of rounds into finals and we weren't playing our best footy. He fuc*ed up

We didn't have our best players in the best form for the GF and we should have been the best prepared team
Last edited by Scollop on Tue 18 Oct 2022 9:58am, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Lyon was wearing a backpack. Probably was carrying a laptop containing some sort of analysis of the list and his strategies and methods.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

I dunno. I hate him but I can't pretend I'm not intrigued. Also enormously enjoying Teflon's unbridled joy. What will we say of him? He's a pr*ck, but he's our pr*ck? Oh gawd.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 7:07am We have a B grade list. Workmanlike. 1 elite player in Steele

I doubt any coach takes us to finals in the first year. And the holy grail is to be at least 4 years away and that requires everything going right from a draft, trade and development perspective

This is nowhere near the list Lyon got in 2006 or 2012 for that matter
Agree it’s not as good as 06; although I think our list is better than most give credit for. If Steele, Sinclair, Marshall, King, Wilkie, Gresham are at their absolute best, they all have the skill sets to be all Australian. Absolutely we should be aiming for top 8 next season, as we should have made this season. I mean before this year I looked at Sydney’s list and thought it was pretty mediocre outside of mills, papley and Heeney. Look what they achieved. The gap between 2 to 10 in the AFL is miniscule at the moment. I just worry the lions are really starting to look scary.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 9:55am The point I was trying to make was that he fuc*ed up his timing in 2009. After sitting at 15 wins it was time to rest his Rolls Royces.

Maybe a rotation of 2 weeks off for his stars. Get them in back to gain some momentum leading into finals

What's the point of being the best team in home and away (with games in hand) if you don't use that advantage for finals

Give them a rest and have them revving at full throttle again in rounds 20 and 21.

We stumbled our way through the final couple of rounds into finals and we weren't playing our best footy. He fuc*ed up

We didn't have our best players in the best form for the GF and we should have been the best prepared team
He did rest players he rested half the team v Hawthorn.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

How did I know I'd get a simple answer without someone actually remembering the specific situation

Dal probably needed 2 weeks off from rnds 15-18. So did Gramm or one other of our playmakers

I thought the 1 week off wasn't enough in Round 19. The players were playing a brutal game and also the game style and running was taking it's toll. You have to remember that this was a time before the mid season bye.

I sensed once we got to rnd 16 WITHOUT ANY LOSSES that it was Time to rest and plan to win the thing.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Why did he continue to play the best 22 every bloody game until Round 19. Unnecessary when you've sown up a top 2 spot in Round 16.

He didn't utilise the whole list for the benefit of getting ALL players peaking at the right time

Our boys stumbled through the last rounds. He would have been better off playing more of the younger guys just to sharpen up the competitive juices of some of his Rolls Royces

He didn't factor in that competition for spots might assist in ensuring that his stars would be hungry to regain momentum quickly in the last 2 rounds before finals

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I’ll give Lyon this. One way or another he will make us hated again. I’d rather be despised than thought of as pitiful and pathetic which we are at the moment.

Will some of the places be able to take Lyon’s old school approach? It’s a very different generation and probably the opposite to Ratts’ supposedly softly softly approach.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It's ok because Jason Horne Francis is at Port Adelaide

spert
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 9:56am Lyon was wearing a backpack. Probably was carrying a laptop containing some sort of analysis of the list and his strategies and methods.
Probably full of cash

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 10:37am It's ok because Jason Horne Francis is at Port Adelaide
You’re afflicted with Ross Lyon derangement syndrome.

Take it easy.

😇

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

spert wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 10:45am
SaintPav wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 9:56am Lyon was wearing a backpack. Probably was carrying a laptop containing some sort of analysis of the list and his strategies and methods.
Probably full of cash
Question to forum. Can basset make contributions to club to bolster the operational spend?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 10:14am How did I know I'd get a simple answer without someone actually remembering the specific situation

Dal probably needed 2 weeks off from rnds 15-18. So did Gramm or one other of our playmakers

I thought the 1 week off wasn't enough in Round 19. The players were playing a brutal game and also the game style and running was taking it's toll. You have to remember that this was a time before the mid season bye.

I sensed once we got to rnd 16 WITHOUT ANY LOSSES that it was Time to rest and plan to win the thing.

The other side of the argument is, “don’t flirt with form”.

Which one is right?

Dunno, but I think you’d find examples of both strategies being successful at times.

markp
Saintsational Legend

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/this- ... 9945f9e8d7

Lyon’s recent comments explaining why he left the club are now back making headlines with the rift appearing to be mended in extraordinary circumstances.

The veteran coach said on Triple M in August he felt the club had “turned on him” at the time when a contract offer was taken off the table.

He said his wife Kirsten was left incredulous after one meeting with the coach’s management and left the room, saying: “This is bulls***”.

Is it 'funny' that he set the record straight in August on triple M about his departure from St Kilda.

Also he looked as giddy as a proverbial schoolgirl when he walked out of that meeting yesterday....

It all seems to be happening very quickly and smoothly.

It plainly can't have been an idea that just occurred to them or was only broached immediately after sacking Ratten.

takeaway
Club Player

markp wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 11:47am https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/this- ... 9945f9e8d7

Lyon’s recent comments explaining why he left the club are now back making headlines with the rift appearing to be mended in extraordinary circumstances.

The veteran coach said on Triple M in August he felt the club had “turned on him” at the time when a contract offer was taken off the table.

He said his wife Kirsten was left incredulous after one meeting with the coach’s management and left the room, saying: “This is bulls***”.

Is it 'funny' that he set the record straight in August on triple M about his departure from St Kilda.

Also he looked as giddy as a proverbial schoolgirl when he walked out of that meeting yesterday....

It all seems to be happening very quickly and smoothly.

It plainly can't have been an idea that just occurred to them or was only broached immediately after sacking Ratten.
Probably right. For instance, saints have been chasing Lenny as Asst coach nearly every year since he left, and he finally agrees in August this year.

Stated its feels really right for him to come home, Saints 150th year, etc etc ......... really looking forward to working under Ro.....atts. :D :D

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 9:55am The point I was trying to make was that he fuc*ed up his timing in 2009. After sitting at 15 wins it was time to rest his Rolls Royces.

from my memory he game mos tof the 22 a rest in round 20. in Tassie, we won.

i dislike Ross as he brought the club to its knees.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

A few players like Jack Billings have only ever played under Richo and Ratts.

If Ross the Boss comes back I think a few are in for a rude awakening.

By round 3 they’ll be begging the club to bring back Richo. 😂