POLL Y or N- happy for Ross to be our guy again?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Are you happy for Ross to be Head Coach?

Poll ended at Thu 20 Oct 2022 10:18pm

Yes
66%
No
21%
Unsure
13%

Total votes: 77

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: POLL Y or N- happy for Ross to be our guy again?

prwilkinson wrote: Wed 19 Oct 2022 11:04am 2 kicks away from back to back flags…
Maybe our other GF teams could have kicked a quick few goals and stopped a few opposition goals, and we would have won more premierships. It means nothing.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 19 Oct 2022 10:04am Big big f****** NO here. Cannot stand the turd.
I hate to say it, but they are setting up his new office space at Linton Street right now!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
freely
SS Hall of Fame

I hate that we are so bereft of ideas that we can only think of trying to relive our glory days. Let's get the band back together? Pur-lease!

A no from me.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/no- ... 5bqv2.html

Looks like they are getting together today to finalise it.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Disappointed with the way Ratten's contract was handled and how he exited. Once that was done though, a line had to drawn in the sand and we had to get a known quantity who was rock solid. For me, Lyon then became the only possible option

So for me, YES

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I find it interesting that some of the most ardent critics of Ratten, especially around him being (in their eyes) Mr Cuddles and having a wishy-washy game plan are now against the appointment of a guy who is a hard task master and meticulous with his game plan. I find this odd, therefore, I can only assume it's just long standing boiling rage against Lyon for jumping ship at the end of 2011

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

i said yes only because he is probably the best available..and never thought in a million years that he would coach us again or that the club would want him to.
If Clarkson had of been available he would have been my choice over Lyon

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

magnifisaint wrote: Wed 19 Oct 2022 2:50pm https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/no- ... 5bqv2.html

Looks like they are getting together today to finalise it.
Richo was at Power when they paid for him to go to Hawaii for some management course.
We spoke publicly about getting him, David Koch said on Ch 7
'Hands off, he's ours' quite fiercely.
We got him but had to pay Power a lot.
Cripps could come to us.
Gerry Ryan and Bassat are billionaires.
As Captain Picard says in Star Trek
'Make it so'

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Wed 19 Oct 2022 1:18pm
B.M wrote: Wed 19 Oct 2022 10:50am Got them to a GF
And what happened the year after, and then the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that ... which became too much and ended up getting him sacked?
Freo had seen enough.
Extremely rare for coaches not to be sacked

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 19 Oct 2022 3:09pm I find it interesting that some of the most ardent critics of Ratten, especially around him being (in their eyes) Mr Cuddles and having a wishy-washy game plan are now against the appointment of a guy who is a hard task master and meticulous with his game plan. I find this odd, therefore, I can only assume it's just long standing boiling rage against Lyon for jumping ship at the end of 2011
Who knows if Lyon is still the coach he was?

Wokeism happened since he finished at the saints. Maybe his harsh and brutal approach will no longer work with a new generation of AFL players.

Perhaps he is a relic of a bygone era and will not longer be relevant. I suspect this will be the case.

Lyon will not have the amazing list at his disposal anymore. No Riewoldt to win games, no Lenny Hayes to break it open, no Milne to shred opposition backmen.

Lyon was carried by great players in their prime. He had such an amazing list and failed to win a flag.

Failed.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Sanctorum
Club Player

In the more than 60 years that I've been a Saints supporter/member I long ago realised that to preserve my sanity I have had to become totally pragmatic, a trait that my darling wife often mocks me for whenever the club does something with which I disagree but quickly turn the other cheek and go with the flow, roll with the punches more like it!

Such a time has been reached once again with all the developments about the senior coaching role in the past 6 days. Sacking Brett Ratten was totally unexpected, the significance of which took a while to process, but SO St Kilda!

Then to raise the temperature further came the news that Ross Lyon was reported to be the most likely prospect to be re-appointed, 11 years after he left the club high and dry to chase the big money he was offered by Fremantle. Every Dockers game that I happened to see on TV, especially against the Saints, I wished like mad that they'd get flogged. And when Fremantle decided after 8 years, the last 4 of which he averaged just over 30% win/loss ratio, to bugger him off, I got quite a bit of perverse satisfaction that he had been fired.

So now the Lyon saga is turning full circle and as much as I might dislike the man, if the club does announce his appointment for a Second Coming, well, I have no choice but to grin and bear it.

Which leads to this thread posted by WellardSaint, and I have voted YES! My reasons are s follows:

1. Love or loathe Ross Lyon, it is beyond question that the bloke CAN coach, not just coach but take his team to finals and even the Granny (3 years).

2. Players at both St Kilda, over 13 seasons, have the highest regard and respect for Ross Lyon, I have yet to hear any former player express a negative opinion about him - not even Luke Ball who famously moved to Collingwood after the lost GF against Geelong in 2009.

3. Ross Lyon has demonstrated his infinite capacity to get the best out of the players he has coached, he's a strong disciplinarian and although renowned at times for having his teams play far too defensively, he is smart enough to know that the game constantly evolves, especially now that the AFL has introduced a few new rules to open up the game with greater potential to attack the goals. He will adapt his game plan accordingly.

4. The club has determined in the post-season review that the team needs to be guided by a stronger personality, someone with a hard edge and in identifying these criteria concluded that they should target someone with these characteristics. This essentially ruled out selecting a rookie coach, and of the
unemployed former coaches in the market there was probably only Ross Lyon and Don Pyke. I am quite sure that Nick Riewoldt has had the ears of Simon Lethlean and Andrew Bassat for quite a while, and he will undoubtedly have plugged for the return of his former mentor. Likewise new board member Jason Blake, another Lyon protégé, is vey likely to have expressed a similar opinion to his fellow directors. As has Brendon Goddard and probably a few others as well.

But the main reason why I vote YES, and feel very confident that this is a good decision is the fact that Ross Lyon will be answerable to newly appointed St Kilda Football Supremo Geoff Walsh.

I have tremendous faith in Walsh, he is probably the only man in the AFL industry who has the strength of character to make 100% certain that Ross Lyon doesn't become an autocratic coach, like he has been at both clubs previously - he will not be "Ross the Boss", because we now have "Geoff the Boss" in charge of all things pertaining to football, including the senior coach.

Geoff Walsh comes across to me to be in the same mould as Peter V'landys, the high profile boss of the Australian Rugby League and CEO of Racing NSW, the bloke who invented The Everest, our richest horse race, and a man who gets things done and let's nothing get in his way!

So there it is, and yes, there will be people who will pick on my rationale and claim that I have overlooked some of Lyon's weaknesses, I know all that as well as anyone, but for the sake of this exercise, I mean the reality if or when Ross is selected, I believe it's best to focus on the positives. What else can we do???

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Cordz2
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Wed 19 Oct 2022 12:19am MIxed feelings for me. On one hand, it seems like we've been in cruise control doing 95km when the speed limit is 100 for the past 10 years. RL will get us going over the speed limit so we'll pass some others but we could crash and burn as well.

I also don't like the guy. I hate the way he left and the state that the list was in when he left. But I also don't see the point in trying yet another inexperienced or recycled coach with a mediocre record and an impressive power point presentation. If we keep going down our current path we end up like North Melbourne of the past 20 years - utterly mediocre.

So overall I'm eager to get Lyon signed even though I don't like him as a person and it will be tough to warm to him again. I do think he'll bring uncompromising standards and a level of tactical intelligence that we haven't had for a decade. The mental lapses in games and inability to perform in marquee games shows that we've been a mentally weak team for quite a while now.
It’s rare that my feelings of summed up clearly with someone else’s post- but I sit with this opinion

Cordz2
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Wed 19 Oct 2022 12:19am MIxed feelings for me. On one hand, it seems like we've been in cruise control doing 95km when the speed limit is 100 for the past 10 years. RL will get us going over the speed limit so we'll pass some others but we could crash and burn as well.

I also don't like the guy. I hate the way he left and the state that the list was in when he left. But I also don't see the point in trying yet another inexperienced or recycled coach with a mediocre record and an impressive power point presentation. If we keep going down our current path we end up like North Melbourne of the past 20 years - utterly mediocre.

So overall I'm eager to get Lyon signed even though I don't like him as a person and it will be tough to warm to him again. I do think he'll bring uncompromising standards and a level of tactical intelligence that we haven't had for a decade. The mental lapses in games and inability to perform in marquee games shows that we've been a mentally weak team for quite a while now.
It’s rare that my feelings of summed up clearly with someone else’s post- but I sit with this opinion

Cordz2
Club Player

Shades
Club Player

[/quote]

I live in WA and Freo supporters are giving me s*** already. as they don't think he is worth a pinch of poop
[/quote]

Just say how many premierships have you won. Flex that one flag we have before they win one.

Shades
Club Player

Apparently I don't know how to quote. Sick

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Shades wrote: Thu 20 Oct 2022 3:45pm
I live in WA and Freo supporters are giving me s*** already. as they don't think he is worth a pinch of poop
[/quote]

Just say how many premierships have you won. Flex that one flag we have before they win one.
[/quote]

I'm Melbourne-born.
Went to most games at Moorabbin from the early 80s, a lot of away games, a lot at Arctic Park...
Then moved to Perth before Colonial/Etihad/Marvel was designed.

Some friends Dockers fans are making fun of our club, some are puzzled.
There's a handful that are worried Ross will be able to beat Freo

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

This poll has brought comments from a variety of posters that I can't recall seeing before.
The silent ones who come here and read but keep their thoughts to themselves.

I wonder if you're worried about being abused by some on here.
Your opinions may not be shared by some, but you're allowed to have an opinion.
It's not North Korea or Iran 🙋‍♂️👍

Shades
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 20 Oct 2022 6:32pm This poll has brought comments from a variety of posters that I can't recall seeing before.
The silent ones who come here and read but keep their thoughts to themselves.

I wonder if you're worried about being abused by some on here.
Your opinions may not be shared by some, but you're allowed to have an opinion.
It's not North Korea or Iran 🙋‍♂️👍
I only post when ross is our coach. I joined in 2007.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote: Wed 19 Oct 2022 6:19pm
And what happened the year after, and then the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that ... which became too much and ended up getting him sacked?
Freo had seen enough.
Extremely rare for coaches not to be sacked
You're right there! Is Lyon the last coach to leave (when he went to Freo) and not be sacked?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
spert
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote: Wed 19 Oct 2022 7:02pm
cwrcyn wrote: Wed 19 Oct 2022 3:09pm I find it interesting that some of the most ardent critics of Ratten, especially around him being (in their eyes) Mr Cuddles and having a wishy-washy game plan are now against the appointment of a guy who is a hard task master and meticulous with his game plan. I find this odd, therefore, I can only assume it's just long standing boiling rage against Lyon for jumping ship at the end of 2011
Who knows if Lyon is still the coach he was?

Wokeism happened since he finished at the saints. Maybe his harsh and brutal approach will no longer work with a new generation of AFL players.

Perhaps he is a relic of a bygone era and will not longer be relevant. I suspect this will be the case.

Lyon will not have the amazing list at his disposal anymore. No Riewoldt to win games, no Lenny Hayes to break it open, no Milne to shred opposition backmen.

Lyon was carried by great players in their prime. He had such an amazing list and failed to win a flag.

Failed.
Lyon was also failed by some of those key players not having any influence in the GFs, and is why Watters wanted to trade one or two out. Times have definitely changed and this not the way to solve our 'mediocrity'

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I liked Ratten but prefer Lyon. 10 years of players wagging the coach, softly, softly...god forbid we upset a player, no more! Let Ross demand buy in, if the player finds that too hard, he can find another home.

This goes for the Admin and Recruiters, no more poor decisions, own your mistakes. Don't make those mistakes another sacked coach, I'm sick of it.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

well it seems we are a bunch of forgiving little vegemites :)

Saints58
Club Player

Freo had seen enough.
Wasn't there a harassment allegations against Ross with a few young female staffers that was part of the reason he got the flick.
Not much said about it but if the club does its due diligent this should come up in there investigations just another reason not to get ross in.
He is popular with the past players but that's what they are Past players our list is a lot different now, and I still remember the fallout of the next 10 years after ross left with the lack of young talent coming through and the Ball, Lovett disaster no pick for ball and Lovett we give up a first rounder and no games, Ross had a big hand in both situations.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Fri 21 Oct 2022 9:04am
Freo had seen enough.
Wasn't there a harassment allegations against Ross with a few young female staffers that was part of the reason he got the flick.
Not much said about it but if the club does its due diligent this should come up in there investigations just another reason not to get ross in.
He is popular with the past players but that's what they are Past players our list is a lot different now, and I still remember the fallout of the next 10 years after ross left with the lack of young talent coming through and the Ball, Lovett disaster no pick for ball and Lovett we give up a first rounder and no games, Ross had a big hand in both situations.
you are blaming him for Lovetts actions ? lol
So you are saying his crystall ball is useless ?