Dumb pundits and opposition fans

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Dumb pundits and opposition fans

We sacked a coach only months after our illustrious Mr. Nice Guy ex-CEO re-signed him for two years.

To be expected and actually warranted. Let’s face it. At present, we’re just a s**tty football club.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Wed 19 Oct 2022 3:03pm Has anyone noticed the level of hate for St.Kilda steadily increasing since Ratten’s dismissal? And now that RL will be appointed as Ratten’s replacement, it only seems like we’ll be despised by the plebs even more.

That’s fine with me! Being hated only suggests we are a threat to the AFL status quo. The AFL world was absolutely fine with St.Kilda being a struggling club for the last decade because we didn’t pose any sort of threat to their precious clubs with full trophy cabinets. As pundits like David King were always eager to punch down on us.

Well, times are changing and RL is about to bring our club some much needed respect. Can’t wait to rub some success in the faces of fans of the clubs who have been taunting us for decades on end.

🔴⚪️⚫️ 😇

UP THE MIGHTY SAINTS …and as our good friend the Jiggster would say: to hell with the rest!
I think you're right, however, i don't care about the haters, i just want Saints people to witness the ultimate success before they pop their clogs. :shock:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

The problem with all the hate are the eventual umpiring decisions that cost us games.
Like freo years ago, the umps boasting about getting a win over us.

They are only human, i do not believe the games are rigged but i do believe umpires are human and dislike certain teams which clouds their judgement,

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote: Thu 20 Oct 2022 3:09pm They are only human, i do not believe the games are rigged but i do believe umpires are human and dislike certain teams which clouds their judgement,
If that is true, then they shouldn't be umpiring.
I can accept that an individual's behaviour may impose a pre-meditated view for the way they play, but a whole team?
That, I can't accept.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Thu 20 Oct 2022 3:16pm
ralphsmith wrote: Thu 20 Oct 2022 3:09pm They are only human, i do not believe the games are rigged but i do believe umpires are human and dislike certain teams which clouds their judgement,
If that is true, then they shouldn't be umpiring.
I can accept that an individual's behaviour may impose a pre-meditated view for the way they play, but a whole team?
That, I can't accept.
That particular game was a real stinker though

From memory they awarded 3-4 dubious free kicks in Freo’s forward 50 that all resulted in goals. Was furious at the time

No doubt what so ever that some grudges played into that

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Wed 19 Oct 2022 3:03pm That’s fine with me! Being hated only suggests we are a threat to the AFL status quo. The AFL world was absolutely fine with St.Kilda being a struggling club for the last decade because we didn’t pose any sort of threat to their precious clubs with full trophy cabinets. As pundits like David King were always eager to punch down on us.
Absolutely spot on. They want St Kilda to get back in its box. If we’re hated and despised, I’m glad. Shows we are heading in the right direction.

I see some “leading academics” are claiming we have a culture problem.

The report details allegations of sexual harassment by Ross Lyon while he was at Fremantle and tells of Simon Lethlean leaving the AFL following an office affair scandal. Yawn. Stuff that supposedly happened years ago that has been dealt with and is water under the bridge. Let’s cancel the whole club.

I think we are on the right track.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Thu 20 Oct 2022 11:35pm
Sainternist wrote: Wed 19 Oct 2022 3:03pm That’s fine with me! Being hated only suggests we are a threat to the AFL status quo. The AFL world was absolutely fine with St.Kilda being a struggling club for the last decade because we didn’t pose any sort of threat to their precious clubs with full trophy cabinets. As pundits like David King were always eager to punch down on us.
Absolutely spot on. They want St Kilda to get back in its box. If we’re hated and despised, I’m glad. Shows we are heading in the right direction.

The report details allegations of sexual harassment by Ross Lyon while he was at Fremantle and tells of Simon Lethlean leaving the AFL following an office affair scandal. Yawn. Stuff that supposedly happened years ago that has been dealt with and is water under the bridge. Let’s cancel the whole club.

Yeah, someone said to me earlier this evening that Lyon is a “degenerate”. I can’t even remember the alleged incident at Fremantle. Didn’t he allegedly say something inappropriate to a female member of staff? And were there even any ramifications for it? Or an admission of guilt? Even evidence that he did do that?

Re Lethlean: he was a philanderer during his time at AFL House. But here’s the thing, it was all consensual. Granted, it was very unprofessional of him, but it’s not exactly a jailable offence.

I guess the club will forever have “cultural problems” until this god forsaken premiership drought is over.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Thu 20 Oct 2022 11:54pm
bigcarl wrote: Thu 20 Oct 2022 11:35pm

Yeah, someone said to me earlier this evening that Lyon is a “degenerate”. I can’t even remember the alleged incident at Fremantle. Didn’t he allegedly say something inappropriate to a female member of staff? And were there even any ramifications for it? Or an admission of guilt? Even evidence that he did do that?

Re Lethlean: he was a philanderer during his time at AFL House. But here’s the thing, it was all consensual. Granted, it was very unprofessional of him, but it’s not exactly a jailable offence.

I guess the club will forever have “cultural problems” until this god forsaken premiership drought is over.
The Lyon incident was settled privately and confidentially to the satisfaction of both parties. Lethers, well it hardly makes him unique. Nothing to see here, move along please.

And keep hating on the Saints. It makes us stronger.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

It hopefully comes to an end soon.
Barrett and co. will make a mockery of the 'process' which it frankly, and thankfully, is.
But it invites more attacks from the flanks because some journos will see Lyon as a fresh juicy target and ask themselves how much a new breaking story about his Freo scandal might credential themselves. A good time to strike now, with Barrett and co. plowing in.

I hope the St KIlda heads find a way to announce the thing in good time. They timed the Ratten sacking well, and handled (apparently) his request for a premature confirmation with cool heads by the looks. (very cool, icy)

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 21 Oct 2022 9:57am It hopefully comes to an end soon.
Barrett and co. will make a mockery of the 'process' which it frankly, and thankfully, is.
But it invites more attacks from the flanks because some journos will see Lyon as a fresh juicy target and ask themselves how much a new breaking story about his Freo scandal might credential themselves. A good time to strike now, with Barrett and co. plowing in.

I hope the St KIlda heads find a way to announce the thing in good time. They timed the Ratten sacking well, and handled (apparently) his request for a premature confirmation with cool heads by the looks. (very cool, icy)
There was no due process. St Kilda asked Lyon and he said yes. Why can't they directly approach the guy they want to coach directly. Why do they need the charade of "process" to appoint a coach. That doesn't make it right and fair. When you know what you want you go out and get it.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

These 'processes' produce failed coaches just as much as they do successful ones. Lyon is a known quantity. He can coach. He's proven it. His ex-players resoundingly endorse him, and they know better than anyone how competent he is.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 21 Oct 2022 10:23am These 'processes' produce failed coaches just as much as they do successful ones. Lyon is a known quantity. He can coach. He's proven it. His ex-players resoundingly endorse him, and they know better than anyone how competent he is.
Correct, the failures are the journalists reporting it. Why is their "opinion"important? Who cares what they think. Caroline Wilson and Barrett should be mud raking in a sewerage treatment plant. It suits their personality better.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 19 Oct 2022 3:41pm Damien Barrett is the one who’s got it in for us!!!

Has basically said we are s*** and can’t get better

We DID win 11 games this season
And if it wasn’t for a night to forget in front of goal for Max we’d have played finals!

Barrett carried on like we are worse than Fitzroy in 96
Damien Barrett should take his hate out on his parents as it's their fault not StKilda's that he was born so ugly and as dumb as dog poop.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 19 Oct 2022 3:41pm We DID win 11 games this season
And if it wasn’t for a night to forget in front of goal for Max we’d have played finals!
Even if we'd won that game, we'd still have finished 10th...But % off eighth.
Our percentage was relatively poor again this season. I say relatively because Carlton and the Bulldogs had percentages of over 108. Ours was just below 100. For a team that goes 11-11, you'd expect the percentage to be around 100.
Our issue was that we were largely unable to put teams away this season. Hawthorn and North being the exceptions. But we were smashing Hawthorn for a second time and let them come back to within a couple of kicks.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Fri 21 Oct 2022 11:30am
B.M wrote: Wed 19 Oct 2022 3:41pm We DID win 11 games this season
Even if we'd won that game, we'd still have finished 10th...But % off eighth.
Our percentage was relatively poor again this season. I say relatively because Carlton and the Bulldogs had percentages of over 108. Ours was just below 100. For a team that goes 11-11, you'd expect the percentage to be around 100.
Our issue was that we were largely unable to put teams away this season. Hawthorn and North being the exceptions. But we were smashing Hawthorn for a second time and let them come back to within a couple of kicks.
In those games where we should have put teams away, but couldn't, it was largely due to poor midfield defensive pressure, and the inability of our midfield to control the ball. I would expect our new coach concentrates a lot on getting the midfield right- it's our big weakness.