Once pre-season starts.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Once pre-season starts.

All this will be old news. The media turds will have moved on from piling it on us and so will everyone else

This stuff happens all the time in football. Everyone moves on pretty quickly.

Soon, there'll be cameras rolling down at Moorabbin for the start of pre-season. And the media turds who have been piling it on us will be grovelling at the feet of Ross Lyon, waiting for a crumb to be thrown their way. I'll look forward to watching the grovelling sycophants get flicked away by RL

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Re: Once pre-season starts.

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 20 Oct 2022 5:37pm All this will be old news. The media turds will have moved on from piling it on us and so will everyone else

Soon, there'll be cameras rolling down at Moorabbin for the start of pre-season. And the media turds who have been piling it on us will be grovelling at the feet of Ross Lyon, waiting for a crumb to be thrown their way. I'll look forward to watching the grovelling sycophants get flicked away by RL
Very true, and the Club knows it
Who gives a s*** anymore.

Check out the train wreck at Essendon, or the one about to heat Clarko and Hawthorn.

All we've done is sack a coach. So what?

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I hope Clarkson cops it. He's a turd.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Yep. Just ride out the storm, if indeed you can even call it that. I think it's genuinely exciting.

Look at Collingwood - crisis to crisis, and now look like they're on track for huge success with a great list and a great coach.

Things move very fast, folks.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote: Thu 20 Oct 2022 8:30pm Yep. Just ride out the storm, if indeed you can even call it that. I think it's genuinely exciting.

Look at Collingwood - crisis to crisis, and now look like they're on track for huge success with a great list and a great coach.

Ben King joins in 2023
Premiership 2025
Windhager Norm Smith

(This stuff I'm smoking puts it all in perspective)

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I disagree with a hell of a lot that's going on right now. But I've followed through thick and thin for decades so it's just another chapter in Saints life.

Come round 1 it doesn't matter anymore

FQF

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Thu 20 Oct 2022 8:30pm Yep. Just ride out the storm, if indeed you can even call it that. I think it's genuinely exciting.

It is exciting
We were a rabble after Blight
Terrible club , don’t know what we are doing
Went on to have one of our most successful periods ever
**** the media
Saints bubble time

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Bring back the bubble! Pressure makes diamonds. The St Kilda Relevants!!!

Saints58
Club Player

Banger9798 wrote: Thu 20 Oct 2022 9:04pm

Ben King joins in 2023
Premiership 2025
Windhager Norm Smith

I really hope we make a big play for Bing in 23 before he signs a extension to his contract.
GC know they can play without him so not so much of a loss and hey have back up now.
Bing was a bit peeved with GC we wonted a 4 year deal got a 2 year deal.
He did have a pact with Rankin not to leave GC and that worked out well.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Once pre season starts we'll get the usual media bulldust about who is killing it at training, who's running faster than last year, all of the nothing news we get
whilst everyone waits for lists to be finalised and lodged and then the action begins.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Rubyjo
Club Player

Other team supporters hate being beaten by the Saints rabble more than any other team ..drives them crazy, they hate us for it.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Rubyjo wrote: Tue 25 Oct 2022 3:42pm Other team supporters hate being beaten by the Saints rabble more than any other team ..drives them crazy, they hate us for it.
I've lived in Perth for a while...
Dockers and WCE fans seem to hate getting beaten by us, more than any other team.
When I wear my Saints gear to work, customers pull a face like I just farted.
We have workers who are Norf fans, Hawks fans, and Carlton fans- they attract a reaction, but not as strong

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Saints58
Club Player

Now that Harvey is back do we still need a forward coach I don't think he has done forwards before has he and if he has is he any good at it.
If so we should get someone who is not ex saints we need a bit of diversity with Enright doing a great job it would be good to have a different look.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Wed 26 Oct 2022 11:06am Now that Harvey is back do we still need a forward coach I don't think he has done forwards before has he and if he has is he any good at it.
If so we should get someone who is not ex saints we need a bit of diversity with Enright doing a great job it would be good to have a different look.
I think it is just a case of our assistants working on transition into attack and rolling back in defence. I'm sure Roughead can help our larger forwards with positioning and body use. Enright can also explain what defenders don't like. I'm also sure it's no secret that small forwards need to be constantly moving, getting in dangerous positions and applying pressure on the opposition's ball movement out of defence.

Yes, we need system but a system every player on the list understands and buys into - not so much 3 different systems, FWD, MID, DEF - it's the transition between those 3 areas. I think Harvey will be invaluable for the connect between mids & fwds.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 20 Oct 2022 5:37pm All this will be old news. The media turds will have moved on from piling it on us and so will everyone else

Let's not kid ourselves.

The media will already be salivating at the prospect of St Kilda once again turning into a circus.

Bassett has masterfully deflected attention away from his performance or lack of. And one only needs to connect the dots between Bassett's infamous letter from last year to Lethleans mid season comment - stating our list had been overrated - to conclude Bassett has not been a very involved president. Anyone who has followed his businesses understands why he hasn't had much time for the club these past years.

Good on him though for pushing all of his chips in now as he would of been fully aware of his imminent demise without a bold move. And who knows Ross may have found the magic trick for accelerating a list build because that is what this past 12 days has masked, and that is, we are now officially in a rebuild phase.

But make no mistake about it, the media will come hard for Bassett if this all turns pear shape, his performance over the past 12 days has been a masterclass in smoke N mirrors but the media will already be sharpening thier knives.

As a footnote I'm supportive of what Bassett has done because it was clear to most except the rusted on that we were in contention for the wooden spoon next year and whilst I think we will still be bottom 4, Bassett has launched the rebuild in the most positive manner possible.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

It seems the hands-off president finally became the hands-on president.

Much depends on our performance at the draft this year and next (and next year's trade period). If we blow, it, we'll be in a fair bit of trouble half way through Lyon's contract and the usual suspects in the media will be frothing at the mouth in anticipation of a kill.

Bottom 4 team next year? You're expecting a massive drop off then?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 26 Oct 2022 3:55pm It seems the hands-off president finally became the hands-on president.

Much depends on our performance at the draft this year and next (and next year's trade period). If we blow, it, we'll be in a fair bit of trouble half way through Lyon's contract and the usual suspects in the media will be frothing at the mouth in anticipation of a kill.

I was prior to the circus coming to town.

Nothing changes with a new coach, our list drops away significantly after about 10 to 12, and you could mount a strong argument from about 8 to 10 WITH reference to a side capable of being a sustained top 4 side.

Prior to R1 I thought our list could reach as high as 6th if we had an absolute perfect run with injuries, our jeckle and hyde season validated that early observation.

The same prediction can be applied to next season however adjusted to be even more challenging due to a new coaching regime, que reference to Collingwood's season, probably not comparing apples with apples though.

The list is in shocking condition and clearly the club is embarking on a rebuild of some magnitude and the circus coming to town has successfully put a curtain around the elephant in the room.

Could you have imagined the neuclonic explosion if instead the club had of announce 12 days ago the club was embarking on a rebuild BUT without the circus act.

The members would have demanded Bassett's head on a platter.

Having said all of that, I congratulate Bassett for masterminding one of the best Harry Houdini acts I have seen in a very very long time.

Let the rebuild begin.
Last edited by Vortex on Wed 26 Oct 2022 7:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Thu 20 Oct 2022 9:04pm

Ben King joins in 2023
Premiership 2025
Windhager Norm Smith

Like.....hmmmm....??? excellent post dude 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 26 Oct 2022 6:46pm
cwrcyn wrote: Wed 26 Oct 2022 3:55pm It seems the hands-off president finally became the hands-on president.

I was prior to the circus coming to town.

Nothing changes with a new coach, our list drops away significantly after about 10 to 12, and you could mount a strong argument from about 8 to 10 WITH reference to a side capable of being a sustained top 4 side.

Prior to R1 I thought our list could reach as high as 6th if we had an absolute perfect run with injuries, our jeckle and hyde season validated that early observation.

The same prediction can be applied to next season however adjusted to be even more challenging due to a new coaching regime, que reference to Collingwood's season, probably not comparing apples with apples though.

The list is in shocking condition and clearly the club is embarking on a rebuild of some magnitude and the circus coming to town has successfully put a curtain around the elephant in the room.

Could you have imagined the neuclonic explosion if instead the club had of announce 12 days ago the club was embarking on a rebuild BUT without the circus act.

The members would have demanded Bassett's head on a platter.

Having said all of that, I congratulate Bassett for masterminding one of the best Harry Houdini acts I have seen in a very very long time.

Let the rebuild begin.
Same shocking list 8-3 mid year ….
Just shocking !
Hysterical gibberish
List isn’t too 4 but better than last half season certainly bottom 8
Lyon will drag another 10-15% from them having a credible game plan will also help

“Yeah….nah””
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

To my mind, this list is middling, not bottom four, and a strip-back rebuild is surely not on the agenda.

Only 6 of our regular senior players are over the age of 27 (Ross 29, Webster 29, Wood 29, Hill 29, Crouch 28, Membrey 28). Hill can play another 4 - 5 years easily. Membrey and Crouch could play another 5. Wood is a fringe selection. So it's not as if any of those older senior payers will be departing the club in the next two seasons, based on age alone. That gives us time to recruit and develop players without us collapsing into the mess that North Melbourne has been in the past three seasons.

Recruit well in 2022 and recruit and trade well in 2023 and we could see a clim up the ladder from where we finished this year.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 6:18am To my mind, this list is middling, not bottom four, and a strip-back rebuild is surely not on the agenda.

Only 6 of our regular senior players are over the age of 27 (Ross 29, Webster 29, Wood 29, Hill 29, Crouch 28, Membrey 28). Hill can play another 4 - 5 years easily. Membrey and Crouch could play another 5. Wood is a fringe selection. So it's not as if any of those older senior payers will be departing the club in the next two seasons, based on age alone. That gives us time to recruit and develop players without us collapsing into the mess that North Melbourne has been in the past three seasons.

Recruit well in 2022 and recruit and trade well in 2023 and we could see a clim up the ladder from where we finished this year.
How many of those players could you have seen being selected to play in Geelongs premiership?

It was only 12 months ago Bassset told us we would enter premiership contention in 2022. Now only 12 months on he's told us we are a 6th to 10th type list with a big gap to a flag side and his new CE9 has openly admitted the list was overrated.

A couple of points: Bassett has no idea, he either still overrates this list or he acknowledges we are many years away. Interestingly he now doesn't say anything about where we are in the premiership window, he's all over the shop.

Bassett has anchored his Presidency to this latest circus, it's obvious he knows this is his final swing at the piñata.

But all that aside. We were in need of a rebuild 2 weeks ago. Nothing has changed other than the coach changes were disguised as a circus to get the gullible to look the other way while clapping.

I'm a Ross fan so no issue there, but let's not kid ourselves that all of a sudden we have found the magic potion to finding a premiership list overnight. List building for a premiership is still our biggest issue...not the coaching, and I haven't heard anything yet to convince me the club knows how to build a premiership list.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Hey Vortex,

I disagree that we were in need of a rebuild two weeks ago but your predictions about what will unfold next year is spot on. I finally think you’re on the money.

I think Ratts was on a path of building his team in his way… and I think he had the wisdom and the eye to pick the right talent to get us back into finals quickly. He made mistakes with the topping up strategy at the end of 2020, but I think the whole club was behind the move when we got so close in 2020.

I think the review was probably something that Ratts commended and the recent changes to the coaching structure were the only changes that should have been made. Just like the list that he inherited, he also inherited McGlynn, Lade and Sexton.

Half way through next year Ross will start blaming the list and looking for scapegoats. He couldn’t give a stuff if he has to burn relationships and end careers of players (and any one else at the club for that matter) as long as he convinces his employers that he’s the right man for the job.

When he landed the plum job of head coach of the Saints back in 2006, he had a list full of leaders and stars of the game. How do you compare Hamill, Hayes, Harvey, Riewoldt, Ball, Dal Santo, S Fisher, Montagna, Goddard and Milne with the current group? ……That’s what I thought

Teflon will be agreeing in 12 months time with what Vortex is saying now, but Teflon won’t refer back to Vortex’s predictions above. He and all the disciples of the messiah will just bow down and willingly drink whatever is in that Kool Aide

Some very good articles have been written in The Guardian and in the Herald Sun from both Ralph and Robinson. These are senior journos who see through the bs circus. They understand football politics within AFL clubs and they know how powerful outside interests can influence a president and the boards of footy clubs

Robbo and Ralphy know that no matter how good a performer Lyon is in front of the camera these days, his reputation and his career will be judged by his success or otherwise with this return to the senior ranks. If St Kilda do not improve and do not play finals for the next 3 years, this will be the last senior gig Lyon ever lands.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 9:19am Hey Vortex,

I disagree that we were in need of a rebuild two weeks ago but your predictions about what will unfold next year is spot on. I finally think you’re on the money.

I think Ratts was on a path of building his team in his way… and I think he had the wisdom and the eye to pick the right talent to get us back into finals quickly. He made mistakes with the topping up strategy at the end of 2020, but I think the whole club was behind the move when we got so close in 2020.

I think the review was probably something that Ratts commended and the recent changes to the coaching structure were the only changes that should have been made. Just like the list that he inherited, he also inherited McGlynn, Lade and Sexton.

Half way through next year Ross will start blaming the list and looking for scapegoats. He couldn’t give a stuff if he has to burn relationships and end careers of players (and any one else at the club for that matter) as long as he convinces his employers that he’s the right man for the job.

When he landed the plum job of head coach of the Saints back in 2006, he had a list full of leaders and stars of the game. How do you compare Hamill, Hayes, Harvey, Riewoldt, Ball, Dal Santo, S Fisher, Montagna, Goddard and Milne with the current group? ……That’s what I thought

Teflon will be agreeing in 12 months time with what Vortex is saying now, but Teflon won’t refer back to Vortex’s predictions above. He and all the disciples of the messiah will just bow down and willingly drink whatever is in that Kool Aide

Some very good articles have been written in The Guardian and in the Herald Sun from both Ralph and Robinson. These are senior journos who see through the bs circus. They understand football politics within AFL clubs and they know how powerful outside interests can influence a president and the boards of footy clubs

Robbo and Ralphy know that no matter how good a performer Lyon is in front of the camera these days, his reputation and his career will be judged by his success or otherwise with this return to the senior ranks. If St Kilda do not improve and do not play finals for the next 3 years, this will be the last senior gig Lyon ever lands.
I don't think we have to wait until next year, skim away the froth N bubble created from the circus coming to town and the next layer reveals a rebuild was in play months ago.

On our 2020 finals appearance: even the Prez and CEO have gone on the record to say the finals appearance during the covid cup suited our players more than most of the comp, so a public admission the covid cup was just a bit of slap N tickle....surely we can all acknowledge that now.

The change in coaching regime has cleverly shielded executive management from their own incompetence. I wouldn't be so quick to point the bone at the new coach if this poke at the piñata doesn't crack open a shower of peanuts.

This list is waaaaaay off the pace so strap yourself in for a long N wild ride.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 10:56am
On our 2020 finals appearance: even the Prez and CEO have gone on the record to say the finals appearance during the covid cup suited our players more than most of the comp, so a public admission the covid cup was just a bit of slap N tickle....surely we can all acknowledge that now.
Here’s my dilemna; why is it Ratts fault that Higgins, Jones, Howard, Butler and Ryder didn’t feature in our top ten in the best and fairest this year? …..oh….and I forgot Lethlean’s godson…Hannebery :x :x

Do you see where I’m coming from?

Everything Ratts did which was a positive influence on the club and on his players is ignored and all the success of 2020 is conveniently claimed to have been because of outside influences rather than the coach…

Hypocrites

The apologists will thank you again for your excuses and justification for his sacking

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 11:16am
Vortex wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 10:56am
Here’s my dilemna; why is it Ratts fault that Higgins, Jones, Howard, Butler and Ryder didn’t feature in our top ten in the best and fairest this year? …..oh….and I forgot Lethlean’s godson…Hannebery :x :x

Do you see where I’m coming from?

Everything Ratts did which was a positive influence on the club and on his players is ignored and all the success of 2020 is conveniently claimed to have been because of outside influences rather than the coach…

Hypocrites

The apologists will thank you again for your excuses and justification for his sacking
I always come back to that toss of a saying: " the sum of all parts". How many premiership clubs won their flags without all parts being elite?

It's a hard pill to swallow but you can have a geneticly modified coach with DNA from Jean's, Clarko, Sheedy and Norm Smith but without the talent you ain't winning anything.

The list konks out of gas around position 8 to 12 and even then I struggle to find a spot for many of those players in this year's premiership team and that is the only reference point you need.

I try not to get too sucked into the whole coach debate because I hold players to account much firmer than the fat controller sitting in an air conditioned coaches box and our players have been taking the p1ss.

It is what it is though and that is a rebuild. Embrace it and be patient is my approach.