Can we please hurry up!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Can we please hurry up!

For the love of god can we please hurry up and name Lyon coach?
Although, I’m not a huge fan of him coming back, it’s obviously a done deal.
Just announce it so everyone can move on.
I want an early announcement, a proactive draft period and then I don’t want to hear about our club until early next year.
We need to get the club out of the news as soon as possible, so the players, staff and supporters can all move on from this s*** show.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Sanctorum
Club Player

Re: Can we please hurry up!

There's really no rush to do this ILH, perhaps it's best to wait for the dust to settle a bit after the negative media in the last couple of days: the rubbish from Ernie Merrick (what else would you expect him to say when he's become a buddy of Ratts??), the half-witted academic sociologist quoted in the paper today claiming St Kilda has a problem with its culture, based on Simon Lethlean having had an "everyday" fling with a young staffer at AFL HQ that the media uncovered and then shamed the AFL into asking him to resign, combined with Ross Lyon allegedly telling a Dockers 51 y.o. female staffer that he liked her "budding boobs" which resulted in her receiving a 6 figure payout...they'll dredge up the 2010 "St Kilda Schoolgirl" next, and why not trot out the 2004 Steven Milne/Leigh Montagna consensual partner swapping episode while they're at it.

What a morally bankrupt club we're supporting :lol: :lol:

So yes, much better to sit on the hands for another week, in the meantime, can someone please arrange Putin's deserved assassination so that the club can sneak the announcement when that's drawing all the headlines????

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
markp
Saintsational Legend

They only sacked the last one a week ago yesterday.

A few more days to avoid looking like it was all... predetermined.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Irreconcilable differences?

Board divided?

Adam, Adam .....

SinCitySainter
Club Player

The membership renewals are confirmed this week I believe.
I would imagine they will wait until that is done to try to avoid the situation of people cancelling because of Lyon's appointment.
I know one person who will not renew if Lyon is appointed.
Myself and the other people I go with will all renew but it is going to be a polarizing decision.

longtimesaint
Club Player

They can’t be real Saints supporters if they cancel membership every time a coach is sacked.
I’ve seen 21 coaches since I first watched the Saints and I still support the team.

One year will be our year
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 21 Oct 2022 2:52pm

So yes, much better to sit on the hands for another week, in the meantime, can someone please arrange Putin's deserved assassination so that the club can sneak the announcement when that's drawing all the headlines????
:wink:

freely
SS Hall of Fame

longtimesaint wrote: Fri 21 Oct 2022 4:52pm They can’t be real Saints supporters if they cancel membership every time a coach is sacked.
I’ve seen 21 coaches since I first watched the Saints and I still support the team.
As I've said elsewhere, this isn't about a coach being sacked, it's about bringing back a coach who's shafted us once already.

Wrt the OP tho, we better move if we're gonna before the poms start looking at him for PM.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I think the announcement has been delayed so that Fred can practice his media speech, he probably doesn't want to give the St Kilda haters more ammo, based on derogatory comments after the Simon and Fred press conference.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Fri 21 Oct 2022 4:46pm The membership renewals are confirmed this week I believe.
I would imagine they will wait until that is done to try to avoid the situation of people cancelling because of Lyon's appointment.
I know one person who will not renew if Lyon is appointed.
Myself and the other people I go with will all renew but it is going to be a polarizing decision.
It’s incredible reading here
99% Bigfooty are over the moon
I’m hearing of so many supporters who are re-signing because they now see hope as opposed to limping into 2023 with downtrodden Brett at the wheel
I think we could hit 70k members
If we start to win a few look out…
People will see a sustainable style
Punters aren’t fools

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote: Fri 21 Oct 2022 4:52pm They can’t be real Saints supporters if they cancel membership every time a coach is sacked.
Agreed
I think the club are milking this beautifully
I’ve had a t-shirt made :

Saints…..Relevant Again and Loving it!!”

“Yeah….nah””
Banger9798
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Fri 21 Oct 2022 4:54pm
Sanctorum wrote: Fri 21 Oct 2022 2:52pm

:wink:
I've had the thought that Putin may be a Saints fan.

Ross Lyon coming in may well save the planet

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Pootin not happy with developments.

He might even nuke RESA Park.

Pure evil that Pootin.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

It sounds like there was still some negotiations going on yesterday. Lets hope the club doesnt get bent over after chasing RTB? There still needs to be a balance for the soft cap and other staff.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 22 Oct 2022 9:30am It sounds like there was still some negotiations going on yesterday. Lets hope the club doesnt get bent over after chasing RTB? There still needs to be a balance for the soft cap and other staff.
Think it’s linked to who else they want coming
“All good things come to those who Ross “
As the old saying goes

“Yeah….nah””
SinCitySainter
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Fri 21 Oct 2022 11:02pm

I’m hearing of so many supporters who are re-signing because they now see hope as opposed to limping into 2023 with downtrodden Brett at the wheel
Punters aren’t fools
If you look at the poll on big footy it is about 30% against.
However, the tragics are not the people that matter because they are going to renew anyway. It is the casual member that is the risk. The average Joe doesn't like Ross as a coach because of the perception that he plays anti-football. Now, I don't think that is true but many people do.
I personally don't believe that bringing in Ross will give us any extra members but could potentially cost us some.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Sat 22 Oct 2022 11:47am

Punters aren’t fools
However, the tragics are not the people that matter because they are going to renew anyway. It is the casual member that is the risk. The average Joe doesn't like Ross as a coach because of the perception that he plays anti-football. Now, I don't think that is true but many people do.
I personally don't believe that bringing in Ross will give us any extra members but could potentially cost us some.
I suppose you could call me a tragic and I pay for 5 memberships each year (down from 9). Well I used to.

I f****** hate the idea of that creep lyin being our coach so I am still undecided about renewing

Sanctorum
Club Player

Punters aren’t fools
I haven't often agreed with you Teflon but I think you're probably right, especially the point about supporters jumping back on board when the team starts to improve and chalk up some wins, and that Lyon's return of its own will lead to new memberships.

Incidentally, I've been ruminating abuot the events of the past 7 days and wondering if perhaps you're not an alias for our president - I mean, it is quite clear now that it was the president (aka Teflon) who initiated his own separate review of Ratten's credentials to take St Kilda to ultimate glory and decided that he's not.

The main clue is in the hundreds of comments you have posted on this forum that you quite like Brett Ratten as an individual but you're totally convinced he's not a good coach!

Another clue that leads me to this conclusion is the name itself:

"Teflon is a brand name for a synthetic chemical called polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE). Teflon is used to coat a variety of products because it’s waterproof, cuts down on friction, and creates a nonstick surface."

To be president of a club such as St Kilda one has to be non-sticky Teflon-coated to withstand all of the abuse from supporters.

Sorry to blow your cover mate....it's alright to "come out" now and allow Saintsationalists to praise you for having the guts to make these tough decisions and finally get the club up and running again.....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 22 Oct 2022 9:30am It sounds like there was still some negotiations going on yesterday. Lets hope the club doesnt get bent over after chasing RTB? There still needs to be a balance for the soft cap and other staff.
Board turned the briefing page and read:
2016: Freo 0 from 10 start to the season
2017: 104 point thrashing by Sydney, Freo manage only 1 of first 17 match goals
Failed to make finals in 4 years leading up to his sacking.
Six figure harassment payout. Lachie Neale wants out. Recruits Hogan.....
Seriously, this guy has actually proved he has lost the ability to coach if not the ability to con.
The IP he took from Roos reached its use by date. See what Longmuir, someone who can coach, has done with Freo.
What are the Board thinking. They need to be protected from Sri Lankan call centres asking for their super.
This is nuts. Did they take hallucinogenic stuff on the birthday cruise.
Incredible and so many are buying in. Take the Koolaid, its good for you.
Poor fellow my Club.
You have to kick a lot of goals to win, can't asphyxiate opponents defensively any more. Remember that Andrew in the cold of next July.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Sat 22 Oct 2022 2:48pm
Punters aren’t fools
I haven't often agreed with you Teflon but I think you're probably right, especially the point about supporters jumping back on board when the team starts to improve and chalk up some wins, and that Lyon's return of its own will lead to new memberships.

Incidentally, I've been ruminating abuot the events of the past 7 days and wondering if perhaps you're not an alias for our president - I mean, it is quite clear now that it was the president (aka Teflon) who initiated his own separate review of Ratten's credentials to take St Kilda to ultimate glory and decided that he's not.

The main clue is in the hundreds of comments you have posted on this forum that you quite like Brett Ratten as an individual but you're totally convinced he's not a good coach!

"Teflon is a brand name for a synthetic chemical called polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE). Teflon is used to coat a variety of products because it’s waterproof, cuts down on friction, and creates a nonstick surface."

To be president of a club such as St Kilda one has to be non-sticky Teflon-coated to withstand all of the abuse from supporters.

Sorry to blow your cover mate....it's alright to "come out" now and allow Saintsationalists to praise you for having the guts to make these tough decisions and finally get the club up and running again.....
Gringo over at BF

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I've lived in Melbourne since 1990. The Saints were the club I chose to barrack for. I've seen a different coach in charge every 3.2 years since arriving. I'm not all that keen on Ross Lyon taking the position (does that make me an "emotional train wreck"??? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) but should he get the gig I'll continue to support my CLUB!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Punters aren’t fools
We’ll see
I personally think once members see a structured game plan and a side that’s not up and down getting the best out of a middle road list they’ll jump on quick smart
70% is a massive result
Think you are underestimating how many people were dejected thinking we were going nowhere with that coaching group

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 22 Oct 2022 12:26pm

Punters aren’t fools
I suppose you could call me a tragic and I pay for 5 memberships each year (down from 9). Well I used to.

I f****** hate the idea of that creep lyin being our coach so I am still undecided about renewing
But you wouldn’t knock back a flag if he brought us one????
Fickle fans …you might be better at Pies I think…

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Sat 22 Oct 2022 4:09pm
Sanctorum wrote: Sat 22 Oct 2022 2:48pm
Punters aren’t fools

Gringo over at BF
I would happily claim both (and Bassatt’s cash) but alas not the case
I was once mistaken on this site for Dean Laidely …I can assure you not the case
Teflon cause that much crap gets thrown in this place you need to be
But it’s all good - end of the day everyon bar Stinger is on the sane page !

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sat 22 Oct 2022 4:28pm
I've lived in Melbourne since 1990. The Saints were the club I chose to barrack for. I've seen a different coach in charge every 3.2 years since arriving. I'm not all that keen on Ross Lyon taking the position (does that make me an "emotional train wreck"??? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) but should he get the gig I'll continue to support my CLUB!
That’s the spirit Jig
Who cares if Lyon really loves us or not I don’t
I just want results
As Barassi famously said “you give me stats …and I’ll shut up!”
Give us some stats Ross…good ones .. with a W in front of them

“Yeah….nah””