Private School intake Draft Day

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Re: Private School intake Draft Day

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 11:10pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 10:48pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 10:33pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 6:03pm Interesting thoughts……

…I was a Board member of a private school….

If the government stopped supporting (private, APS etc..it)…would be disastrous for the government.

….If private schools shut what is the impact on the public system?

….the whole system would break down if the private schools became nonviable.
Wow!!!

Is this what school administrators are telling themselves??

Is this what local MPs say over a latte?

My goodness gracious me!!

Heaven help us!!

It’s like a feudal lord telling the peasants they need him!!

Holy good golly Miss Molly!
What school administrators do you refer to?

Perhaps you would be kind enough to inform me of what the government funding and infrastructure program would look like if they cut funding to private schools and needed to cope with the massive influx of students into the government system.

Lastly please remove the offensive racist remark around slavery, like I have when quoting your post.
Seeming you asked me to remove what you allege to be a ‘racist comment’ I won’t bother.

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2022/09/26/ ... ls-Rising/
I did you the courtesy of scanning the article in the link you posted.

Am I to believe your argument is based on the subsidies paid to private schools in British Columbia?

I reiterate if you believe the current schooling structure in Australia is viable with funding removed from private schools, please provide details on how that model works and is sustainable.

And I’m ‘seeming’ to remind you to remove your racist comments, they are inappropriate.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Sat 29 Oct 2022 6:50am
D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 10:49pm
CURLY wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 10:41pm And there it is……

Waiting for it.

Predictable.
Because it is true.

Made up a story and when pressed for facts could not deliver.

What ever oracle.

Doesn’t suit you attack poster.

Predictable
There is no personal attack Curly, you are the one name calling.

You made a comment on selection of a team, having had a son make that team one year I have been through the process.

What you wrote made no sense and was totally at odds with what my son experienced as he was not playing school or club football when selected.

When I read the irregularities of your post I asked you to quantify on multiple occasions but you could not.

It was very obvious you information was fabricated at suit your narrative of special treatment for private school kids.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

From very limited “research”…

Overall, in 2019-20 the commonwealth spent $3,246 on public school students and the states spent $11,935, for a total of $15,181. Meanwhile, the commonwealth spent $10,211 for each private school student and the states spent $2,978, a total of $13,189.

Can we then start the debate about religious schools that take government money and are allowed to discriminate against particular students??

;)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sat 29 Oct 2022 9:04am

Waiting for it.

Predictable.
Because it is true.

What ever oracle.

Predictable

You made a comment on selection of a team, having had a son make that team one year I have been through the process.

What you wrote made no sense and was totally at odds with what my son experienced as he was not playing school or club football when selected.

When I read the irregularities of your post I asked you to quantify on multiple occasions but you could not.

It was very obvious you information was fabricated at suit your narrative of special treatment for private school kids.

I know what I heard. I was there you weren’t obviously. For the record my son made his year and played 2 years of TAC.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 9:33pm I went to Caulfield Grammar and Haileybury. Hated them both too. My parents thought they were doing the right thing, bless them. I worked at Lauriston Girls School for several years. The disparity between the private and government school systems really hit me one afternoon when a year 11 Lauriston girl informed me, "this school is so poor". She had just come back from a school run Aviation class -i.e learning to fly a plane.
To me, it's a pretty crappy justification for the comparitive lack of funding for govt. schools to say that the system would fall apart if it were different. And no way private school kids should receive the same subsidy as govt school kids.
They actually don't but why shouldn't they, pray tell?

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Sat 29 Oct 2022 10:10am
D.B.Cooper wrote: Sat 29 Oct 2022 9:04am

Waiting for it.

Predictable.
Because it is true.

What ever oracle.

Predictable

I know what I heard. I was there you weren’t obviously. For the record my son made his year and played 2 years of TAC.
Lol

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 10:59pm
st.byron wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 10:46pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 9:54pm
st.byron wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 9:33pm I went to Caulfield Grammar and Haileybury. I worked at Lauriston Girls School for several years. Hated them both too. My parents thought they were doing the right thing bless them. The disparity between the private and government school systems really hit me one afternoon when a year 11 Lauriston girl informed me, "this school is so poor". She had just come back from a school run Aviation class -i.e learning to fly a plane.
To me, it's a pretty crappy justification for the comparitive lack of funding for govt. schools to say that the system would fall apart if it were different. And no way private school kids should receive the same subsidy as govt school kids.
Good post St Byron, a couple of questions.

1/ The Lauriston lass, do you think her arrogance was a result of upbringing or schooling?

2/ Are you suggesting private schools now receive the same subsidy per child as government schools? In my time of involvement it was 50%.
Ms. Lauriston - I reckon those words were straight out of daddy’s mouth. He was a high powered lawyer. Just entitlement writ large.

The second question I have to confess my ignorance. Let me re-word that. Private schools who’s students are paying 10s of thousands of dollars to attend should not be funded so they can run things like aviation courses or have eight million dollar theatres built when there are govt school kids who don’t have a computer of their own.
I also worked at John Curtin College of the Arts in Freo for five years. Because it was a ‘performing arts focused’ high school, we did indeed have a multi million dollar brand new theatre. The only govt school in the state to have anything close to that kind of resource for learning. The W.A minister for Education came for an assembly about two years after the theatre opened. Afterwards our principal told me the minister had basically said, “don’t expect any more funding for a long long time when you have a facility like that”. We’d hit the ceiling of what a govt school could expect.
I respect your opinion but I disagree.

I find it hard to argue with a user pay system.
Perhaps the funding needs to be reduced, I don’t know the numbers, however when I had access the receipt per child was 50% of the cost of a child in a government school which seems to me fair.

I understand why you see the aviation course as opulent, but you need that point of difference to provide services and facilities in a private school that government schools cannot or you will not attract and retain students.
There is something fundamentally inequitable with this line of argument. No way the govt should be funding what is essentially an arms race amongst private schools for who has the best gym/theatre/concert hall/helipad etc. To use the argument that they they 'have to keep up' as a justification for the maintaining the current model, I'm sorry mate but it sounds like entitlement to me.
Funding an aviation course as a point of difference is in no way a justification for funding these kinds of activities at the expense of kids in govt schools who don't have their own laptop for example. Or the tens of thousands of govt school classes held weekly in non-air conditioned 'temporary' portable buildings that you will only at a pinch see on private school grounds (air-conditioned but) whilst major capital works to build a new aquatic centre and science wing require a bit of shuffling classes around.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Lot of envy expressed in this thread along with class hatred.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 29 Oct 2022 10:40am Lot of envy expressed in this thread along with class hatred.
No hated or envy here.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Sat 29 Oct 2022 1:08pm
saynta wrote: Sat 29 Oct 2022 10:40am Lot of envy expressed in this thread along with class hatred.
No hated or envy here.
Nope, none at all 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Private schools are the only thing you hate more than umpires.

Dozens of posts by you suggest differently.
CURLY wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 9:39am Another draft and the squads are over loaded with the private schoolboys. Cmon recruiters look deeper than your pockets.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

No hated or envy here.
Yes Curly,
Watch the baiters shooting from the bushes.

‘You seem to be angry’ (subtext: damaged goods, vulnerable)

One should ‘feel’ something. I think that’s the idea.

The micro accounting figures don’t mean much in the general bigger picture. A bit like St Kilda stating how much they spent on a new recruit, when they are in the belly (and being fed by) of a much bigger creature, in an ecosystem bigger than us all.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

No hated or envy here.
Yes Curly,
Watch the baiters shooting from the bushes.

‘You seem to be angry’ (subtext: damaged goods, vulnerable)

One should ‘feel’ something. I think that’s the idea.

The micro accounting figures don’t mean much in the general bigger picture. A bit like St Kilda stating how much they spent on a new recruit, when they are in the belly (and being fed by) of a much bigger creature, in an ecosystem bigger than us all.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sat 29 Oct 2022 1:37pm
No hated or envy here.

CURLY wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 9:39am Another draft and the squads are over loaded with the private schoolboys. Cmon recruiters look deeper than your pockets.

See this is what makes you a squeezer.

I’m not having a go at the private schools. If you could get off your high horse you’d realise I’m having a crack at recruiters and the scouts.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Sat 29 Oct 2022 1:59pm
No hated or envy here.

I’m not having a go at the private schools. If you could get off your high horse you’d realise I’m having a crack at recruiters and the scouts.
You are suggesting private schools pay recruiters to select their students.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sat 29 Oct 2022 3:08pm
No hated or envy here.

Please show me where I posted that.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

No hated or envy here.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

No hated or envy here.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

No hated or envy here.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Sat 29 Oct 2022 4:12pm
No hated or envy here.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sat 29 Oct 2022 4:38pm
CURLY wrote: Sat 29 Oct 2022 4:12pm
No hated or envy here.

Yep get out look don’t just go for the easy option. Use your recruiting skills rather than sitting there getting influenced by names.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I'd call it resentment. Subtle difference, And justifiable too. Imagine if Govts spent 80% of the money they give to private school on Govt schools? Maybe every classroom would be airconditioned and every kid would have a laptop and every school would have a functional gymnasium. Crazy right?

George27
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sat 29 Oct 2022 9:37am From very limited “research”…

Overall, in 2019-20 the commonwealth spent $3,246 on public school students and the states spent $11,935, for a total of $15,181. Meanwhile, the commonwealth spent $10,211 for each private school student and the states spent $2,978, a total of $13,189.

Can we then start the debate about religious schools that take government money and are allowed to discriminate against particular students??

;)

So let us just assume those figures are correct.

In total , Governments spend more ( $15,181) on public school students than on private school students ( $ 13,189).

Dud - simple question : have I read the results of your research correctly?

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Moods wrote: Sat 29 Oct 2022 6:32pm
I'd call it resentment. Subtle difference, And justifiable too. Imagine if Govts spent 80% of the money they give to private school on Govt schools? Maybe every classroom would be airconditioned and every kid would have a laptop and every school would have a functional gymnasium. Crazy right?
And how many more students would they have to fit in a system that is already reportedly over crowded?

Would those funds be used as you suggest or would they be purchasing portable classrooms and placing them on sports fields to accommodate for the influx of former private school students who can’t afford the huge spike in fees since the government pulled its funding.

Funding private schools (as someone noted earlier$ is a bipartisan, I bet there have been many Labour governments who would live to cut back the funding and I’d bet plenty of models have been run and discarded.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Sat 29 Oct 2022 6:32pm
Nah, I will stick with what I said.

St Plugger
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 29 Oct 2022 10:16am
st.byron wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 9:33pm
They actually don't but why shouldn't they, pray tell?
I draw the analogy with owning a "private" car. You don't get any grants by choosing to use a private vehicle, even though you could use public transport!
You could argue that PT doesn't work for you, but if it was fully funded, it just might in say 95% or so of the time. Same goes for public education. Your right to choose, but the term "private' means you do it at your own cost!