Betting Scandal- Police involved

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rubyjo
Club Player

Re: Betting Scandal- Police involved

Above all remember to gamble responsibly.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Tue 15 Nov 2022 2:09pm Above all remember to gamble responsibly.

That's all these guys were trying to do.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

When I say I need you
You say you better
You better, you better you bet

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

How did Warnie and Mark Waugh get away with their ‘weather report’?

Ask Mr. Ed

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

The Herald Sun is reporting that two games in particular threw up red flags about Brownlow voting, the round 13 Queen's Birthday match between Collingwood and Melbourne and the round 23 St Kilda v Sydney game. Umpire Pell was the fourth umpire in both games and was present when the three officiating umpires cast the votes.

I can't comment on the first game as I only saw part of it. Clayton Oliver was supposedly BOG with 43 possessions in a losing team, Brodie Mihochek with 4 goals got the three votes. The 3-2-1 in the St Kilda game went to Hannebury, Long and Steele. I thought that was fair enough at the time. We got back within 8 points in time on and looked like causing an upset but the Swans got the final goal. The "experts" apparently thought Heeney (23 disposals, 2 goals) was "desperately unlucky" not to have got votes. IMO it was one of the few times the umpires got it right. Hanna's reminded us how good he was and what might have been, Long's "breakout game" convinced him he was worth more money and Steele almost single handedly dragged us over the line with hissecond half effort.

No mention is made of Brownlow betting figures on either game.

Saint supporter since '62
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Does that suggest the anomaly that triggered concern was the 3 votes going to a player on the losing side and that being accurately picked by the punters and backed large. Rare?
A big successful plonk on Hanneberry would also raise booky eye brows. Surprised me he got the maximum even though it was his chair off game.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 15 Nov 2022 11:22pm The Herald Sun is reporting that two games in particular threw up red flags about Brownlow voting, the round 13 Queen's Birthday match between Collingwood and Melbourne and the round 23 St Kilda v Sydney game. Umpire Pell was the fourth umpire in both games and was present when the three officiating umpires cast the votes.

I can't comment on the first game as I only saw part of it. Clayton Oliver was supposedly BOG with 43 possessions in a losing team, Brodie Mihochek with 4 goals got the three votes. The 3-2-1 in the St Kilda game went to Hannebury, Long and Steele. I thought that was fair enough at the time. We got back within 8 points in time on and looked like causing an upset but the Swans got the final goal. The "experts" apparently thought Heeney (23 disposals, 2 goals) was "desperately unlucky" not to have got votes. IMO it was one of the few times the umpires got it right. Hanna's reminded us how good he was and what might have been, Long's "breakout game" convinced him he was worth more money and Steele almost single handedly dragged us over the line with hissecond half effort.

You and a few others did give Hannas their top votes in Round 23 for the Eastern Memorial Sainter of the Year,
but our esteemed panel of ‘experts’ overwhelmingly had Long as best on ground ….
and that’s despite the fact that I didn’t get my votes in on time :mrgreen: 8-)

http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p1977230

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 16 Nov 2022 2:40am Does that suggest the anomaly that triggered concern was the 3 votes going to a player on the losing side and that being accurately picked by the punters and backed large. Rare?
A big successful plonk on Hanneberry would also raise booky eye brows. Surprised me he got the maximum even though it was his chair off game.
This was the first time since 2006 that all six votes went to the losing team.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

There is no suggestion any one manipulated votes, as there would be no need too, just tell your mates who got votes so they can bet on it.

They got caught because they only bet on the games they knew the results for and won, should have placed smaller dummy bets that would lose to cover their tracks better!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Wed 16 Nov 2022 6:08am
Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 15 Nov 2022 11:22pm The Herald Sun is reporting that two games in particular threw up red flags about Brownlow voting, the round 13 Queen's Birthday match between Collingwood and Melbourne and the round 23 St Kilda v Sydney game. Umpire Pell was the fourth umpire in both games and was present when the three officiating umpires cast the votes.

You and a few others did give Hannas their top votes in Round 23 for the Eastern Memorial Sainter of the Year,
but our esteemed panel of ‘experts’ overwhelmingly had Long as best on ground ….

Scollop, I was referring to the association of AFL media sucks as the "experts". We are just a bunch of know-alls :D

Saint supporter since '62
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

This may seem dumb, but can the winners still lay claim to their winnings?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Nope.

The Confiscation Act (1997).

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I would have found votes for a Sydney player if they played for St Kilda. 🤔

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 16 Nov 2022 7:43pm

Pretty sure you are describing Hannas :)

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The_Dud wrote: Wed 16 Nov 2022 8:55am There is no suggestion any one manipulated votes, as there would be no need too, just tell your mates who got votes so they can bet on it.

They got caught because they only bet on the games they knew the results for and won, should have placed smaller dummy bets that would lose to cover their tracks better!
Fox Footy on Twitter has said that during the Brownlow telecast, bookies and/or AFL were alerted (are there bots trawling around comparing winning bets after each round's votes are announced?) alerted at that Queens Birthday game, and after the Saints/Swans game had been announced, a nice little package had been wrapped up and a ribbon put on it 😳
(Edit: 'a nice little package etc' isn't Fox, they're my words)

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 17 Nov 2022 4:25pm
Ghost Like wrote: Wed 16 Nov 2022 7:43pm

Pretty sure you are describing Hannas :)
I'm wishing it was Heeney 🙏