Training- Friday November 25

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Training- Friday November 25

On the Sharman discussion, the panning of him by some on here is bewildering. Basically saying he's useless,which is completely ridiculous.

He's a young guy who knows when and where to lead, can take a mark, and is an excellent set shot at goal. He didn't need to be a superstar this year. He was needed for structure, yet the coach cut off his nose to spite his face, leaving Max King exposed to bring double teamed and restricted by illegal tactics. Just dumb coaching.

Once Hayes went down and Ryder's availability became scarce, it was bleeding obvious that Sharman needed to come in to maintain the correct structure up forward. But no......it's that kind of dumb coaching that puts you at risk of getting the chop.

Rubyjo
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Sat 26 Nov 2022 1:26pm On the Sharman discussion, the panning of him by some on here is bewildering. Basically saying he's useless,which is completely ridiculous.

He's a young guy who knows when and where to lead, can take a mark, and is an excellent set shot at goal. He didn't need to be a superstar this year. He was needed for structure, yet the coach cut off his nose to spite his face, leaving Max King exposed to bring double teamed and restricted by illegal tactics. Just dumb coaching.

Once Hayes went down and Ryder's availability became scarce, it was bleeding obvious that Sharman needed to come in to maintain the correct structure up forward. But no......it's that kind of dumb coaching that puts you at risk of getting the chop.
Too true.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 26 Nov 2022 11:26am
just a correction, the second worst player of all time, but on Sharman, one thing is for sure, he won't be gifted as much opportunity under Ross, pretty certain Ross doesn't like to give players a "run of games" to practice their apprenticeship on an elite sporting field. So if he becomes the second coming of Buddy I will be the first to state how proud I am.

Having said that let's see how Ross 3.0 goes about it, will he repeat the coaching style of Ratts and give a player an opportunity in the same manner afforded to Jack Hayes? ...Ross 1.0 and 2.0 wouldn't have.

BM is right in not spewing out his undying love to players who have achieved nothing on an AFL field, it's a St Kilda cultural attribute that holds us back...Messiah worshiping.
[/quote]

I dont think people thought Sharman was the second coming of Ablett, but the point was King needed help forward with another marking option to keep the defence accountable. Sharman was really our only other option and Ratten decided to play a natural goal kicker in defence rather than forward.

Some posters often deliever over the top criticism of players and their critiques become completely unrealistic and border on ignorant. I understand footy is an subjective game, but being completely black or white with no vision or understanding that others may percieve players strengths differently becomes very tiresome.
[/quote]

If Hayes can come back and deliver something similar to that of his first few games then Sharman will struggle to displace him. Unless Sharman can reinvent himself physically and athletically in one pre season then I can't see him in an RL side.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sat 26 Nov 2022 1:26pm On the Sharman discussion, the panning of him by some on here is bewildering. Basically saying he's useless,which is completely ridiculous.

Let's not rewrite history. Got a game because there were absolutely no other players at Sandy to choose from.

When he got his chance he had absolutely no defensive effort without the ball, athletically was flat out dragging the skin off a banana and has the turning circle of the titanic, the ball flowed out of our F50 with embarrassing ease with Sharman in the forward half.

Attempted unrealisti screamers and hang out the back hoping he could take park mark of the year, players like Sharman look flashy in the 2nd tier comps but get found out at the elite level.

And with regards to his stint in the backline: I'm still as embarrassed as anyone to have suffered that and my only guess at why he went down there was because of pure desperation with virtually zero AFL capable players left at Sandy to choose from....zero. Maybe Ratts though he might as well play a guy who has at least got 3 or 4 games under his belt and place him down back as that was out greatest need at that stage due to injury and then see if he can develop some defensive skills while down there.

Who knows could be the making of him...but he's got a massive challenge in front of him to make it in the AFL.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Wow. You really have an intense dislike for Sharman.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sat 26 Nov 2022 7:02pm Wow. You really have an intense dislike for Sharman.
I don't have a dislike for anyone in this world especially some person I have never met.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He is not a key forward

He is 6’3” and about 90kg if he’s lucky!

We already have a gun hybrid forward… he plays at Sandy unless Tim is injured… and if he is… can Sharman do the ‘donkey work’
Membrey does

Because that Hybrid role requires enormous running power

In fact if Membrey gets injured - Wood would play that role

If you are an undersized key position player - you need to be elite!!!!

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I just did a footywire comparison vs Max King in 2021 when Sharman played all his 5 games as a forward.

The numbers are almost identical, but Sharman only played 59% of the game time, while King played 84%.
They are exactly the same age.

No-one expects him to reach the same heights as King, of course ... but young Sharman could still develop further?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 26 Nov 2022 7:52pm He is not a key forward

He is 6’3” and about 90kg if he’s lucky!

We already have a gun hybrid forward… he plays at Sandy unless Tim is injured… and if he is… can Sharman do the ‘donkey work’
Membrey does

Because that Hybrid role requires enormous running power

In fact if Membrey gets injured - Wood would play that role

If you are an undersized key position player - you need to be elite!!!!
I have no problems with players earning their spots, but I think you will find Membrey will be used a lot closer to goal next season. He is most dangerous in front of goals, not being the hit up player up on the wings.

Next season I believe the side will bounce a lot quicker out of defence and across the centre and use their legs rather than the kick mark static play that forced our key forwards too high up the ground.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Sat 26 Nov 2022 10:10pm, edited 3 times in total.

mickey
Club Player

Great kick, footy smarts, good mark, exceptional vertical leap (will take mark of the year), confident, x factor, kicks pressure goals. Let's play him in the backline ????? I hope Ross sees what I see in Sharman, Windhager and Owens

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I posted a question about Dean Greig (spelling?)
a few honks ago, a player that looked star quality to me in the vein of Windhaeger even Darren Mil-lane from Collingwood, and it seemed he had a sensational debut and then fell away.

These kind of players fascia are me. Well, tbh, tha fan hype does. Exactly what is going on with Hayes now. He played one great game, got a contract, now he’s gone past Jason Blake to be our next Brownlow player.

So I wondered about Sharman. But I just don’t understand. He looks like someone we desperately need. Vortex (next mic will be Victor Vector) is having fun, and fair enough, by being the provocative poster, (someone has gotta a do it. Fair enough Sunny Ernest?) But I thought he was good. You lot won’t agree, but I thought Membrey was teething in the edges of getting dropped about round 15 2021. His kicking was atrocious. He kicked plenty of goals in the closing (dead rubber) rounds and his hero status remains unscathed.

I surely hope Cooper can do it.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Riddle me this,

Sharman, at 194cm is considered an undersized Key Forward but Aaron Cadman, at 195cm is probably going to be the No.1 draft pick and GWS are hoping he will be there next GUN Key Forward.

We are talking 1cm difference between Sharman and Cadman, that's about half an average bell end bigger and yet that put's the taller one in an entirely different light.

Maybe Cadman will be a midfielder.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Sat 26 Nov 2022 10:01pm Riddle me this,

Sharman, at 194cm is considered an undersized Key Forward but Aaron Cadman, at 195cm is probably going to be the No.1 draft pick and GWS are hoping he will be there next GUN Key Forward.

We are talking 1cm difference between Sharman and Cadman, that's about half an average bell end bigger and yet that put's the taller one in an entirely different light.

Its all about their respective builds - Cadman has a set of shoulders and will bust packs. Sharman is the more refined player similiar to Fritsch of Melbourne. Basically a 3rd tall who could never play as a key position player.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

mickey wrote: Sat 26 Nov 2022 9:46pm Great kick, footy smarts, good mark, exceptional vertical leap (will take mark of the year), confident, x factor, kicks pressure goals. Let's play him in the backline ????? I hope Ross sees what I see in Sharman, Windhager and Owens
Ross won’t play him in the backline
Like he won’t play Hill off HB
Why?
Cause as a coach he has a clue - unlike Brett who Rath told what to do
Not RTB
If Sharman does the work he’ll get a go
If he doesn’t he’s cactus

“Yeah….nah””
Moods
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sat 26 Nov 2022 1:12pm Rehab. Won't be running for a while. Back surgery is a serious matter. Bloody tough to come back from it for anyone,let alone an AFL footballer. This is why we had to be patient with Bytel. That injury and surgery basically set him back by 2 years.
That's interesting. The Billings lovers, (who are fast diminishing each year) will have the perfect excuse for him next year. It's not his fault he isn't having an impact, he had back surgery 6 months ago......

Saintmike65
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 26 Nov 2022 10:15pm
bobmurray wrote: Sat 26 Nov 2022 10:01pm Riddle me this,

Its all about their respective builds - Cadman has a set of shoulders and will bust packs. Sharman is the more refined player similiar to Fritsch of Melbourne. Basically a 3rd tall who could never play as a key position player.
I like Sharman as a player but prefer Jack Hayes..heart and soul, gives absolutely everything he’s got, strong body that can split packs, pinch hit in the ruck…Ross will love him I reckon!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Sat 26 Nov 2022 11:35pm
cwrcyn wrote: Sat 26 Nov 2022 1:12pm Rehab. Won't be running for a while. Back surgery is a serious matter. Bloody tough to come back from it for anyone,let alone an AFL footballer. This is why we had to be patient with Bytel. That injury and surgery basically set him back by 2 years.
That's interesting. The Billings lovers, (who are fast diminishing each year) will have the perfect excuse for him next year. It's not his fault he isn't having an impact, he had back surgery 6 months ago......
Very interesting. So you think Billings should be on the track now, full contact and taking part in all the running drills?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sat 26 Nov 2022 8:01pm I just did a footywire comparison vs Max King in 2021 when Sharman played all his 5 games as a forward.

The numbers are almost identical, but Sharman only played 59% of the game time, while King played 84%.
They are exactly the same age.

No-one expects him to reach the same heights as King, of course ... but young Sharman could still develop further?

I'm confused, probably because you are making vague comparisons to another player who hasn't reached any "heights" yet.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 8:22am
Moods wrote: Sat 26 Nov 2022 11:35pm
Very interesting. So you think Billings should be on the track now, full contact and taking part in all the running drills?
Why do you even have to ask that question? I mean…. That’s exactly what Moods said.

That’t definitely how I read it

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sharman is a natural footballer rather than an athlete.There is a fair amount of crap written on here about him. Disappointing to see .

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 26 Nov 2022 7:38pm
cwrcyn wrote: Sat 26 Nov 2022 7:02pm Wow. You really have an intense dislike for Sharman.
I don't have a dislike for anyone in this world especially some person I have never met.
Liar liar, pants on fire Pinocchio.

(A fictional character in a popular fairytale who is a boy made of wood. His nose grows longer whenever he tells a lie.)
Last edited by saynta on Sun 27 Nov 2022 10:48am, edited 1 time in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Do you honestly think Sharman is taller than Nick Reiwoldt?

Listed heights are rubbish

Add to that

There is tall and there is big

Jack Gunston is not much shorter than Jarrod Roughead
Who is bigger???

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 10:48am Do you honestly think Sharman is taller than Nick Reiwoldt?

Listed heights are rubbish

Add to that

There is tall and there is big

Jack Gunston is not much shorter than Jarrod Roughead
Who is bigger???
Steven May is listed at 190cm.
Yet he is as you state a big man.

I would not be surprised if Sharman is taller than Roo, he plays differently and in an era 20 years after Roo debuted where tall KPP are now 200cm.

Roo played taller than Sharman if that makes sense.

I don’t know if Sharman will be any good or not, I do think he has an elite leap, is a very good kick for goal and has some footy smarts and leads pretty well at the ball carrier.

I hope he gets games and the opportunity to develop as he does have some qualities.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Rubyjo
Club Player

Sharman is a great kick for goal there is no doubt probably the most reliable . New Game plan get the ball to Sharman .

longtimesaint
Club Player

Rubyjo wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 2:19pm Sharman is a great kick for goal there is no doubt probably the most reliable . New Game plan get the ball to Sharman .
He is THE best kick for goal on our list.
I watched a lot of training last season and he was amazing.
At the end of training the forwards practice goal kicking
And where King and Higgins had @ lot of misses he was dead eye.
One day I watched him kick eleven straight from 50 metres, on angles and from both forward pockets.
He doesn’t need many shots to be valuable.

One year will be our year