What a difference at our club in only a few months

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

What a difference at our club in only a few months

Yes yes proof is still to come but just am in awe of the turnaround from our club capped off with a stellar draft haul last night
Saints finally draft match winning mid **** yeah!

Thought Joffa on BF summed up our transformation really well:

I had actually chucked in my membership, had stopped the monthly payments.

Two days later, they sacked the coach, recruited Lyon. got Lenny, Harvs and bj, got Misson, didn't trade out our picks (kept because Ben King decided to stay at GC), then picked up an A+ rated draft haul.

Didn't know I had so much power over the club :D:D.

The change in the club over the past 8 weeks is gobsmacking, I am really amazed what they have done. Gallagher has copped critisism however he was somewhat hamstrung in 2019 and 20 over trading, 21 he went well with NWM and the two NGA lads, and 2022 has completely nailed the draft.

So all in all the club could not have changed direction more radically off field since the end of the season. Obviously we are here to win games not sack coaches and draft players so the proof is in the future.

However the one thing a football club relies on from their supporters is hope. I had lost hope, we were drifting with Rats at he helm, our ex player media people were saying basically there was a disconnect at the club, the players were overindulged and were not being disciplined, and with some, Ratts was not reading the room. I could see more moribund years of nothingness.
But hope is back, even with next year probably being a learning year as the players need to have their bad habits lost and embrace the Ross model. It may take a season but it will come.

With the youngsters on board and with a bunch of players still not reaching their peak (Gres, Coff, Clark, Max, even Higgins, Josh Battle, etc) the future looks so much brighter than in early October.
I think there's a lot of supporters will echo your sentiments. It seems like the club has taken about ten steps since seasons end and they've all been positive ones. Now that's a change I can handle.

“Yeah….nah””
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: What a difference at our club in only a few months

Teflon wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 10:02pm Yes yes proof is still to come but just am in awe of the turnaround from our club capped off with a stellar draft haul last night
Saints finally draft match winning mid **** yeah!

Thought Joffa on BF summed up our transformation really well:

I had actually chucked in my membership, had stopped the monthly payments.

Two days later, they sacked the coach, recruited Lyon. got Lenny, Harvs and bj, got Misson, didn't trade out our picks (kept because Ben King decided to stay at GC), then picked up an A+ rated draft haul.

Didn't know I had so much power over the club :D:D.

The change in the club over the past 8 weeks is gobsmacking, I am really amazed what they have done. Gallagher has copped critisism however he was somewhat hamstrung in 2019 and 20 over trading, 21 he went well with NWM and the two NGA lads, and 2022 has completely nailed the draft.

So all in all the club could not have changed direction more radically off field since the end of the season. Obviously we are here to win games not sack coaches and draft players so the proof is in the future.

However the one thing a football club relies on from their supporters is hope. I had lost hope, we were drifting with Rats at he helm, our ex player media people were saying basically there was a disconnect at the club, the players were overindulged and were not being disciplined, and with some, Ratts was not reading the room. I could see more moribund years of nothingness.
But hope is back, even with next year probably being a learning year as the players need to have their bad habits lost and embrace the Ross model. It may take a season but it will come.

With the youngsters on board and with a bunch of players still not reaching their peak (Gres, Coff, Clark, Max, even Higgins, Josh Battle, etc) the future looks so much brighter than in early October.
I think there's a lot of supporters will echo your sentiments. It seems like the club has taken about ten steps since seasons end and they've all been positive ones. Now that's a change I can handle.
Is it Gallagher who gets the credit or is it Toce, or both ?
It's how you separate the List Manager from the National Head of Recruiting at the Saints .

Joffaboy, now there's a popular former SS poster. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

It's exciting.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yes Joffa still larger than life on BF
Good question on credit I’m going to say all for now
Yes we had some luck but you still have to take the pick/make the call and resist out smarting yourself (which I think we’ve done previously!)
Exciting times
Hard work starts now

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Toce made the recruiting decisions

Gallagher keeps the list under the cap

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 10:48pm Toce made the recruiting decisions

Who develops list strategy ???
You can’t make recruiting decisions in isolation without one…
Think gags has done ok tbh

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Recruiting the best talent with the right attributes for professionalism is always the key for success on field

I love the fact that we have recruiters doing their job and picking young talent that will grow together. It's going to take time to build the foundations for a flag-worthy team

The combination of young guys we've selected in this year's draft will compliment our current youth. I love the path that was started with NWM, Windy and Owens in 2021 and in a way I'm glad we failed with trying to bring in De Goey.

Hopefully Bytel, Sharman, Connelly, Heath, Adams and other young guys continue to improve. I can't wait for 2026-2027

It's going to be interesting watching Bassat, Lethlean and Ross Lyon explaining to Saints members over the next 2 years that Ratten getting sacked wasn’t about missing finals. Bassat had hinted that we may go backwards before we strive toward the ultimate.

Bassat also admitted that Ratten wasn’t provided the structures and support required so read between the lines.

“We were ….kind of expecting Ratten to fail in 2022 so that we could bite the bullet and essentially rebuild of the list!”

Obviously I'm being facetious, but it wouldn't have gone down too well with Saints supporters if Bassat told fans we are sacking Brett and Ross Lyon is being appointed, however the club has decided for a total reboot and rebuild.

I mean seriously…isn’t that what we were already doing in 2021 when Seb Ross, Jack Billings and a few other established players were put on the trade table?

If a few of the excited and overly positive posters reply to me that I'm talking crap about 'rebuilding' and we are aiming to play finals next year...maybe they could explain why we've recruited the way we have this year (and also last year).

Do you think it would be wise not to be providing opportunities to the calibre of talent we've recruited? Do you think they'll hang around if Lyon wants them to serve their 'apprenticeship'?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

We stuffed up in 2013 by not appointing Choco Williams.

He wanted a five year contract because he knew it would take time to rebuild the list.

We stuffed up by asking Brett Ratten to perform miracles with the money ball list he inherited. We wanted instant success. The board communicated poorly and didn’t have a very good handle on whether we had a top 4 capable list

I hope Saints fans and members are patient. I hope the players are given every opportunity to grow and improve together and our list manager and the football club admin team can keep them all happy and united and driven for a singular cause

Hopefully over the next 5 years we have a strong united board and they communicate honestly and openly with their members and they allow the current coach and his team to develop a flag-worthy team

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Resisted the urge to blow draft picks in trades for high-priced mercenaries. Tick.

Resisted the urge to make loopy high-stakes gambles with our first pick. Tick.

Selected the best talent available. Tick.

This should be the norm rather than the exception but, coming after last year's top-notch draft haul as well, it seems the club has finally learned from its mistakes.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 01 Dec 2022 2:35am Recruiting the best talent with the right attributes for professionalism is always the key for success on field

I love the fact that we have recruiters doing their job and picking young talent that will grow together. It's going to take time to build the foundations for a flag-worthy team

The combination of young guys we've selected in this year's draft will compliment our current youth. I love the path that was started with NWM, Windy and Owens in 2021 and in a way I'm glad we failed with trying to bring in De Goey.

Hopefully Bytel, Sharman, Connelly, Heath, Adams and other young guys continue to improve. I can't wait for 2026-2027

It's going to be interesting watching Bassat, Lethlean and Ross Lyon explaining to Saints members over the next 2 years that Ratten getting sacked wasn’t about missing finals. Bassat had hinted that we may go backwards before we strive toward the ultimate.

Bassat also admitted that Ratten wasn’t provided the structures and support required so read between the lines.

“We were ….kind of expecting Ratten to fail in 2022 so that we could bite the bullet and essentially rebuild of the list!”

Obviously I'm being facetious, but it wouldn't have gone down too well with Saints supporters if Bassat told fans we are sacking Brett and Ross Lyon is being appointed, however the club has decided for a total reboot and rebuild.

I mean seriously…isn’t that what we were already doing in 2021 when Seb Ross, Jack Billings and a few other established players were put on the trade table?

If a few of the excited and overly positive posters reply to me that I'm talking crap about 'rebuilding' and we are aiming to play finals next year...maybe they could explain why we've recruited the way we have this year (and also last year).

Do you think it would be wise not to be providing opportunities to the calibre of talent we've recruited? Do you think they'll hang around if Lyon wants them to serve their 'apprenticeship'?
But you have to agree it's really exciting right now in the month of December. I can't remember tbe last time I was this excited about how well we are going in December.

We've now got a hard edge and ruthlessness and uncompromising standards, who would of thought that these were the missing ingredients in an elite sporting competition.

Bassett is a genius.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 01 Dec 2022 6:31am
But you have to agree it's really exciting right now in the month of December. I can't remember tbe last time I was this excited about how well we are going in December.

We've now got a hard edge and ruthlessness and uncompromising standards, who would of thought that these were the missing ingredients in an elite sporting competition.

Bassett is a genius.
:D :lol: :lol:

Yeah it’s amazing.

You’ve been brainwashed by Teflon haven’t you?
Last edited by Scollop on Thu 01 Dec 2022 9:00am, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I would have settled for Lenny Hayes and Robert Harvey as assistant coaches on day 1 of preseason.

What a privilege for the current St Kilda players to be in the presence of such legends of our club. I think Lenny could be the greatest asset to our club in a long time and I wouldn’t be surprised if he is the secret weapon for the Saints to play finals again

That would have had me ( as a supporter) keen and excited and the fact that it is a significant year and a huge milestone 150th for the club…would have been exciting enough for me. The political coup and embarrassing nature of the contract extension mid year makes me a little more subdued.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 01 Dec 2022 8:52am

Bassett is a genius.
:D :lol: :lol:

Yeah it’s amazing.

You’ve been brainwashed by Teflon haven’t you?
He had me at "exciting".

Gershwin
Club Player

‘Summertime and the livin’ is easy’

summertime and the living is easy ........
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Hard to take someone who chucks in their membership seriously.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Thu 01 Dec 2022 9:25am Hard to take someone who chucks in their membership seriously.
Amen brother.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Credit to Prez and the board they acted and made some hard decisions

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I’m excited

Sanctorum
Club Player

bergsone wrote: Thu 01 Dec 2022 12:02pm Credit to Prez and the board they acted and made some hard decisions
The single most important change made by the Board, the one individual they finally decided to move on and the catalyst to all the changes, was Matt Finnis who had been CEO since March 2014.

As CEO Finnis was ex-officio a member of the Board, he was in a unique position to influence the Board in terms of what was going on in the football department over the years. His role gave him a lot of power in the appointments of senior personnel, including the senior coach.

With Finnis out of the way and Simon Lethlean installed as CEO I expect it was he who recommended bringing in Geoff Walsh, a highly respected and credentialled AFL boss, to shake things up.

What's transpired once Walsh took control is incredible and will form part of folklore at Moorabbin as the team marches to glory in 2-3 years time.

We've never ever seen anything like it and all the necessary pieces to ensure future success are starting to fall into place both on and off the field.

I personally don't think our footy team will drop down in 2023, there is already a reasonably strong base in place to win plenty of games next year, they only need 2 or 3 more to make finals and I reckon the improvement in some of the 22+ age group will see them do exactly that under Ross Lyon and his assistants!

In all of the stuff I've contributed to this forum everyone will be well aware that my glass is always 1/2 full, now it's risen to the 3/4 mark :lol:

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Sanctorum
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 10:53pm
B.M wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 10:48pm Toce made the recruiting decisions

Who develops list strategy ???
You can’t make recruiting decisions in isolation without one…
Think gags has done ok tbh
Don't think that's just a single individual, it'd be a team effort - head of football ops, coaches, head of recruitment, list manager???

I went looking for a full staff list but couldn't find it on the Saints website, but if you're interested, Google found this, not entirely up to date:

https://www.signalhire.com/companies/st ... /employees

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 01 Dec 2022 12:55pm
bergsone wrote: Thu 01 Dec 2022 12:02pm Credit to Prez and the board they acted and made some hard decisions
The single most important change made by the Board, the one individual they finally decided to move on and the catalyst to all the changes, was Matt Finnis who had been CEO since March 2014.

As CEO Finnis was ex-officio a member of the Board, he was in a unique position to influence the Board in terms of what was going on in the football department over the years. His role gave him a lot of power in the appointments of senior personnel, including the senior coach.

With Finnis out of the way and Simon Lethlean installed as CEO I expect it was he who recommended bringing in Geoff Walsh, a highly respected and credentialled AFL boss, to shake things up.

What's transpired once Walsh took control is incredible and will form part of folklore at Moorabbin as the team marches to glory in 2-3 years time.

We've never ever seen anything like it and all the necessary pieces to ensure future success are starting to fall into place both on and off the field.

I personally don't think our footy team will drop down in 2023, there is already a reasonably strong base in place to win plenty of games next year, they only need 2 or 3 more to make finals and I reckon the improvement in some of the 22+ age group will see them do exactly that under Ross Lyon and his assistants!

In all of the stuff I've contributed to this forum everyone will be well aware that my glass is always 1/2 full, now it's risen to the 3/4 mark :lol:
Guby, Walsh. Misson, Banger, Lenny and BJ...things are looking really good

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Scollop wrote: Thu 01 Dec 2022 2:35am

Bassett is a genius.
I have to disagree.
We haven't got a hard edge, *yet*.
'Ruthless'? Not yet
The club has put all the pieces in place to tick those boxes, pulled in the club legends as coaches, and support staff are elite.
They're the architects.
The squad seems to publicly be on board, on the same page, promising to do the work; but the players aren't yet tested in the cauldron of a proper season where they're asked the tough questions on field.
Will they be able to withstand the pressure from Dees, Cats, Swans, Dogs, as well as conquer their own self-doubts?

We will show a 'hard edge' when we absorb pressure and rise above it, and finish off the hard work.

'Ruthless' will be revealed if or when we can hold off repeated entries by a committed opponent and score our own goals in the last 5 mins of a quarter rather than concede.

'Uncompromised standards' will be seen when we prepare the best we can before a game in Sydney and Kardinia Park, and take the game up to those teams and refuse to be dominated.

Again, the pieces are in place, it's months away before we see whether or not it eventuates.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 01 Dec 2022 3:30pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 01 Dec 2022 2:35am

Bassett is a genius.
I have to disagree.
We haven't got a hard edge, *yet*.
'Ruthless'? Not yet
The club has put all the pieces in place to tick those boxes, pulled in the club legends as coaches, and support staff are elite.
They're the architects.
The squad seems to publicly be on board, on the same page, promising to do the work; but the players aren't yet tested in the cauldron of a proper season where they're asked the tough questions on field.
Will they be able to withstand the pressure from Dees, Cats, Swans, Dogs, as well as conquer their own self-doubts?

We will show a 'hard edge' when we absorb pressure and rise above it, and finish off the hard work.

'Ruthless' will be revealed if or when we can hold off repeated entries by a committed opponent and score our own goals in the last 5 mins of a quarter rather than concede.

'Uncompromised standards' will be seen when we prepare the best we can before a game in Sydney and Kardinia Park, and take the game up to those teams and refuse to be dominated.

Again, the pieces are in place, it's months away before we see whether or not it eventuates.
Many months away. We will go backwards before we pick ourselves up and go forward but the list will just get better.

By this time next year, we will have:
- blooded 4 or 5 of our youngsters into top 25 calculations,
- changed our game plan to an attack and run at all costs
- traded out one or two 'experienced' players who still have currency
- and either dipped into the first round twice or traded for a genuine big fish.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

CQ Saint- i agree with you apart from...
-blooding 4 or 5 of our youngsters into top 25

The young teens are very raw, fresh, and have young bodies.
Not confident in our development, when I think about the state of Matthew Allison, Oscar Adams, Max Heath.

The teens we just picked are better potentially than the 1st three I quoted, but again, I think they'll be a slow burn due to the record of the Zebs and the lower ranked team (in the lower league)

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

If you are good enough, you are big enough.
Can't see Windy or NVM going backwards and Owens is on a mission.
Coffield is still on the verge and from what I saw at training, he will play and impact immediately.
I'm keen on young Olli's skill set being good enough, so he's big enough and I reckon nothings going to hold young Phillipou back