Geoff Walsh on......Geoff Walsh

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Geoff Walsh on......Geoff Walsh

Looking around for some biographical information of Geoff Walsh' journey in footy I found an interview he did recently on an obscure site: "Little Fish Podcast".

Walsh is an interesting character because despite the length of his 36 year career in football, he's rarely been in the spotlight, but nevertheless came across as a no-nonsense hard nut administrator at several clubs that enjoyed the ultimate success. I'm tipping he'll achieve this with the Saints and goes on to validate my strong belief when I stated in early October after he'd been recruited that he was by far the best new senior appointment by a St Kilda Board in decades!!

It's quite lengthy so if you prefer to cut to the chase, fast forward to the 39 minute mark where the conversation turns to his appointment as EGM of Football at St Kilda FC:

https://www.littlefishproperties.com.au ... ast-ep-35/

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
8bloggs
Club Player

Re: Geoff Walsh on......Geoff Walsh

Thanks for posting this Sanctorum.

Interesting that Walsh highlights that clubs need to have a "will to act". I don't think he will have any hesitation advocating changes.
His reputation as a hard nut was confimred by a friend of mine who was in the adminstration at Collingwood.
He now has the important task of finding a new recruiting manager now that Gallagher is going back to South Australia.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

8bloggs wrote: Wed 14 Dec 2022 2:09pm Thanks for posting this Sanctorum.

Interesting that Walsh highlights that clubs need to have a "will to act". I don't think he will have any hesitation advocating changes.
His reputation as a hard nut was confimred by a friend of mine who was in the adminstration at Collingwood.
He now has the important task of finding a new recruiting manager now that Gallagher is going back to South Australia.
My concern with Walsh is he will be 67 going into next year and said over 2 years ago when he fled Collingwood in a shroud of controversy that he knew his time was up because he had retirement on his mind.

All we can hope is he doesn't do a Blight on us and do most of his work from the golf course.

Templar
Club Player

Let's hope he doesn't have to do too much work because everything gets up and running like clockwork.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Wed 14 Dec 2022 7:24pm Let's hope he doesn't have to do too much work because everything gets up and running like clockwork.
Worst case scenario he improves his handicap

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

He left Collingsood with a salary cap nightmare and they have had a series of fire sales since he left. He had his finger prints on a lot of the decisions to pay multiple Pies players big bucks.

For all the criticism Gags has received, he got our salary cap in order quick smart / and we had enough reserves to throw some big money offers around to try and attract some big name players.

I have no issue with Walsh working on a consulting basis and setting up the framework and putting the right people in place - just as long as he isn’t running the show.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Wed 14 Dec 2022 9:51pm He left Collingsood with a salary cap nightmare and they have had a series of fire sales since he left. He had his finger prints on a lot of the decisions to pay multiple Pies players big bucks.

For all the criticism Gags has received, he got our salary cap in order quick smart / and we had enough reserves to throw some big money offers around to try and attract some big name players.

I have no issue with Walsh working on a consulting basis and setting up the framework and putting the right people in place - just as long as he isn’t running the show.
He is not running list management, nor is he overseeing player payments, that was Gags

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote: Thu 15 Dec 2022 9:13am
Zed wrote: Wed 14 Dec 2022 9:51pm He left Collingsood with a salary cap nightmare and they have had a series of fire sales since he left. He had his finger prints on a lot of the decisions to pay multiple Pies players big bucks.

He is not running list management, nor is he overseeing player payments, that was Gags
What is he responsible for then?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

i beieve he is the conduit between football operations and the board. ensuring everything is in sync.

probably assists in appointment.s but he does not run the salary cap, nor does he make decisions on new players.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote: Thu 15 Dec 2022 11:04am i beieve he is the conduit between football operations and the board. ensuring everything is in sync.

probably assists in appointment.s but he does not run the salary cap, nor does he make decisions on new players.
does he set list management policy and have accountability, like where does the buck stop if the quality of list management ends up like it did while he was at Collingwood, does he just get to walk away and retire again?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 15 Dec 2022 11:48am
saintly wrote: Thu 15 Dec 2022 11:04am i beieve he is the conduit between football operations and the board. ensuring everything is in sync.

does he set list management policy and have accountability, like where does the buck stop if the quality of list management ends up like it did while he was at Collingwood, does he just get to walk away and retire again?

go ask him

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote: Thu 15 Dec 2022 1:49pm

go ask him
You make it sou d like you've seen his detailed job description that's why I'm asking you?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I worked with Geoff for four years in the early 80s. I could tell some stories - some of them even true.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 15 Dec 2022 9:30am

Match day sandwiches
Cooper likes chicken liver pâté’ with applesauce
apparently
Definitely gotta go

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

How do you become a good club?

Geoff Walsh
“Get good players”

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 15 Dec 2022 11:00pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 15 Dec 2022 9:30am

Match day sandwiches
apparently
Definitely gotta go
100%....that's 77% more than 33%

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Is anyone going to tell the Vort?

And good to know Walshy has a dry sense of humour when asked silly questions, eh.

Saintmike65
Club Player

He’s head of football so presumably has his say on anything footy related.

Saintmike65
Club Player

B.M wrote: Thu 15 Dec 2022 11:41pm How do you become a good club?

Geoff Walsh
“Get good players”
Reality is you have to be a good club to attract good players.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Sun 18 Dec 2022 8:00am

Geoff Walsh
“Get good players”
Reality will only bubble to the surface after our summer of love is over.

I'm guessing we are a destination club again so does that mean good players will want to come now especially because Ross has a reputation of attracting good players?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Sun 18 Dec 2022 7:58am

He’s head of football so presumably has his say on anything footy related.
You'd think so.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Thu 15 Dec 2022 11:00pm Match day sandwiches
apparently
Definitely gotta go
On toasted ciabatta topped with King Island Brie and Spanish stuffed green olives & paired with a nice Mornington Peninsula Pinot Noir such as Paringa Estate or Yabby Lake - mmmmmm!

Delicious!

My mouth is watering :P

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 16 Dec 2022 8:07am 100%....that's 77% more than 33%
Do the maths and the squares are all rooted!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The more things change the more things stay the same.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Saintmike65 wrote: Sun 18 Dec 2022 8:00am

Geoff Walsh
“Get good players”
100% Sm65, Walsh is there to give our footy club some much needed credibility which it certainly has been lacking for years, and that will draw good players from other clubs to want to play for the Saints.

As for the suggestion that at 67 he's too old, what a load of BS, since when is 67 OLD???? :lol:

Walsh has a massive scrapbook of success in VFL/AFL administration at a senior level stretching back to 1985.

His role as Executive General Manager of football I expect is to make sure the engine continues to run smoothly, that everyone is carrying out their specific roles effectively, and holding everybody to account, including the senior coach.

Above all, Walsh will make certain St Kilda FC will be not just relevant in the AFl, but respected and admired in the big league by friends and foes alike!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist