Damian Barrett Again

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Damian Barrett Again

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 12 Jan 2023 9:56pm

I think if it stimulates conversation it is fun

Confucius say:

Man who stimulate not necessarily a wanker.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 7:55am
shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 12 Jan 2023 9:56pm

I think if it stimulates conversation it is fun

Confucius say:

Man who stimulate not necessarily a wanker.
Was Confucius aware of the Saintsational Footy forum?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 12 Jan 2023 11:39pm It’s funny

The commentary in the 2020 pre season was how great our off season was

5 ins

All of those players played a significant role in our resurgence in 2020 from a bottom 4 team to finals and ultimately after a 3 season tenure by Brett Ratten at 50% with all of those players being generally senior players - and important player at that!

Don’t listen to and/or believe ridiculous media dribble

Opinion pieces by non football people who haven’t got a clue and use Clickbait to stay relevant

It amazes me how supporters form their opinions by buying this s***?!

Ryder - great value
Howard - in leadership group
Jones - inconsistent but had great games (injuries though)
Butler - leading goalkicker and B&F R/U and one of the best pressure forwards in the AFL
Hill - maligned, has played nearly every game
Higgins - outstanding pre concussion
Crouch - great value
Wood - great Value
Campbell - excellent back up
And 3 years on…..no man’s land sacked coach …
Were they goid in isolation??? Maybe
I don’t think we paid Brad Hill 900k a year to say his measure is…”has played nearly all games.. “ I think that one is still unders for cost imo
Given where we were as a club? Poor choices ..
Anyway corrected now - draft is our friend
Build a core like we’ve done previously then look to add
No more quick fixes “we are in the window” utter BS.

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Quick fixes - like Andrew Lovett

Maybe Ryan Gamble, Dean Polo, Adam Pattison???

Who was coach when we recruited those stars and didn’t play Armitage, Steven, Lynch??

Build from the draft like 2000-2002???

We also got
Gehrig, Hamill, Black, Powell, Voss, Callaghan,

Draft is always your friend
As is the trade period
As is free agency

You use EVERY available avenue to improving your list

The buzz around our off season was electric and we rose 8 spots on the ladder
Issue was we didn’t continue to improve

Geelong model = best practice

Carlton have followed that model

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 5:04pm Quick fixes - like Andrew Lovett

Maybe Ryan Gamble, Dean Polo, Adam Pattison???

Who was coach when we recruited those stars and didn’t play Armitage, Steven, Lynch??

Build from the draft like 2000-2002???

We also got
Gehrig, Hamill, Black, Powell, Voss, Callaghan,

Draft is always your friend
As is the trade period
As is free agency

You use EVERY available avenue to improving your list

The buzz around our off season was electric and we rose 8 spots on the ladder
Issue was we didn’t continue to improve

Geelong model = best practice

Carlton have followed that model
Again, silly point in time analysis lacks vision
Do you top up with other club rejects when you are 2-4 years out from being genuine premiership team?
No that’s dumb
When Gehrig, Hamill et al came on board we were a destination action club and had brought Riewoldt, Kozi, Dal Santo, Montagna, Fishers, Xavier/Ralph Clarke, Maguires, Balls … Point being??? There was a solid foundation of talent coming through
Current list?????? Windhager Owens……..we pray Pou etc from this year then big gap in talent …

Who was coach when kids last didn’t get played ????- same last coach who took St Kilda to back to back GFs with a 65% win rate and a 19-0 2009 win season that cuddles Ratten could only dream of…. Try harder.

Point again???? You don’t look at players you pick up isolation to where the team is at in its ability to play finals and be a serious top 4 contender.

3 years on from this great recruiting coup your banging on about we are NO CLOSER to being a top 4 contender and last 2 years have actually gone backwards.

You use “every available avenue to recruit” no Shyte Sherlock….whose ever said otherwise??? But there’s a timing and balance to that and I’m damn sure that’s too subtle for your cliched footy responses to get.

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ralph Clarke recruited at the same time as his brother? Don't think so.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 5:51pm Ralph Clarke recruited at the same time as his brother? Don't think so.
I think I made the point though but nit pick away ..

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Still with the insults.

I responded to a footy issue where you made an obvious incorrect statement.

No derogatory comments from me.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I think 2021 was a turning point with the selection of Sharman, Heath, NWM, Owens, Windhager, and Adams (who I still have hopes for), and we followed it up well this year.

Trading in guys like Hill, Butler, Howard, Ryder, Jones, Higgins, and Crouch was not a mistake in my view. Those decisions were made only because of the drafting disaster that was 2012 to 2017. Had we recruited with any intelligence during that period, the recruits from other clubs would have been icing rather than the cake.

Hill can play another 5 years easily, as can Howard, Jones, Butler, and Crouch. Higgins has 8 years ahead of him.

Grant Thomas had the philosophy that if you recruit players from other clubs you need to make sure you'll get a hundred games from them. With the exception of Ryder, I think that will happen.

As much as Gallagher has been maligned in recent times, I don't think his tenure was a disaster, and if he'd stayed on, in two years time we might have been praising him.

When judging a playing list, you have to go back to the decisions of 6 to 9 years ago. We can see that with our list. How many national draft selections do we have between the ages of 25 and 28? Gresham, McKenzie, and Billings. That's it. We got lucky with a couple of rookies selections in Sinclair and Marshall during that period, but on national draft night we stank.

We all know the howlers, and the long term damage done by Chris Pelchen. We are finally picking ourselves off the deck and getting moving. It may not show this year, but we are a better playing list than we were before Gallagher's appointment. Did he get everything right? Of course not. But he inherited a pile of excrement and had to move fast to sure up a sinking ship.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Chris Pelchen absolutely fkd the club

We all look for scapegoats- generally the coach

But his decision to gut the list and trade away leaders, potential leaders, cultural drivers and club champions for draft picks was the single most stupid thing I’ve seen at StK

And that’s saying something

saynta
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 6:30pm I think 2021 was a turning point with the selection of Sharman, Heath, NWM, Owens, Windhager, and Adams (who I still have hopes for), and we followed it up well this year.

Trading in guys like Hill, Butler, Howard, Ryder, Jones, Higgins, and Crouch was not a mistake in my view. Those decisions were made only because of the drafting disaster that was 2012 to 2017. Had we recruited with any intelligence during that period, the recruits from other clubs would have been icing rather than the cake.

Hill can play another 5 years easily, as can Howard, Jones, Butler, and Crouch. Higgins has 8 years ahead of him.

Grant Thomas had the philosophy that if you recruit players from other clubs you need to make sure you'll get a hundred games from them. With the exception of Ryder, I think that will happen.

As much as Gallagher has been maligned in recent times, I don't think his tenure was a disaster, and if he'd stayed on, in two years time we might have been praising him.

When judging a playing list, you have to go back to the decisions of 6 to 9 years ago. We can see that with our list. How many national draft selections do we have between the ages of 25 and 28? Gresham, McKenzie, and Billings. That's it. We got lucky with a couple of rookies selections in Sinclair and Marshall during that period, but on national draft night we stank.

We all know the howlers, and the long term damage done by Chris Pelchen. We are finally picking ourselves off the deck and getting moving. It may not show this year, but we are a better playing list than we were before Gallagher's appointment. Did he get everything right? Of course not. But he inherited a pile of excrement and had to move fast to sure up a sinking ship.
An excellent post. Thank you.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 6:44pm Chris Pelchen absolutely fkd the club

We all look for scapegoats- generally the coach

But his decision to gut the list and trade away leaders, potential leaders, cultural drivers and club champions for draft picks was the single most stupid thing I’ve seen at StK

And that’s saying something
Yep. And I knew at the time that the guy was going to f*** us up.

Who the f*** trades away a player like Big Boy McEvoy? Only a f****** fool or someone hell bent on helping his former employer, that's who.
Last edited by saynta on Sat 14 Jan 2023 11:17am, edited 1 time in total.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

We will always cop this tripe while we are an irrelevant club.
Win, take no prisoners as once we make it to the top (If we ever get there), it will be tall poppy syndrome as the media will still want to chop us down.
We need 20 years of continual success.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 6:27pm Still with the insults.

Where is the insult?
You’re not picking and missing the entire point of the discussion
I thought I suggested you just don’t respond to me at all ?

“Yeah….nah””
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Hocking can eat a dick. Very easy to recruit when you can offer what Geelong can. There recruiting has been pretty much the same as ours other than Danger and Cameron that no club had a chance at getting other than Geelong.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 6:30pm I think 2021 was a turning point with the selection of Sharman, Heath, NWM, Owens, Windhager, and Adams (who I still have hopes for), and we followed it up well this year.

That’s a fine theory if you ignore the picks we gave up to get some of those players and who B we might’ve missed as a result (someone can do the look up - I’ve seen it can’t arsed) . You have to take the cost into account of getting those players and then ask the question: are you closer to a top 4 side now because of that recruiting?
I’d have preferred a more sober look at the list 2-3 years back after Richo and gone to the draft more than we did

Ryder is gone
Jones fell off the perch last year
Butler isn’t goal scoring and I think will not survive on so called “pressure acts” alone under Lyon
Higgins played half a year
Hill has not been what he was at Freo for $900k
I think Crouch/Howard are clear wins from that list….the rest have it to do yet for nine….I don’t care that they show up and how many games they play I’m after Quality output.

“Yeah….nah””
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 7:50pm
cwrcyn wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 6:30pm I think 2021 was a turning point….

….drafting disaster that was 2012 to 2017….

….Gallagher has been maligned……in two years time we might have been praising …

….we are a better playing list than we were before….
That’s a fine theory if you ignore the picks we gave up…..

Ryder is gone
Jones fell off the perch last year
Butler isn’t goal scoring and I think will not survive on so called “pressure acts” alone under Lyon
Higgins played half a year
Hill has not been what he was at Freo for $900k
I think Crouch/Howard are clear wins from that list….the rest have it to do yet for nine….I don’t care that they show up and how many games they play I’m after Quality output.
I think these guys have been good too.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 7:42pm

Where is the insult?
Any suggestion from you I take with the absolute f****** grain of salt it deserves. :roll:

"not picking" ??? Why the f*** don't you check what you type before hitting the send button.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 7:45pm Hocking can eat a dick. Very easy to recruit when you can offer what Geelong can. There recruiting has been pretty much the same as ours other than Danger and Cameron that no club had a chance at getting other than Geelong.
Welcome back mate.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 11:21am

Where is the insult?
Any suggestion from you I take with the absolute f****** grain of salt it deserves. :roll:

"not picking" ??? Why the f*** don't you check what you type before hitting the send button.
I don’t waste my time re-reading what I send to you …it’s pointless
Abs please continue to treat me with your “grain of salt” ..please please please….
Now fly away ….and stalk someone else ..
Be gone!

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 12:20pm
saynta wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 11:21am

Where is the insult?

I don’t waste my time re-reading what I send to you …it’s pointless
Abs please continue to treat me with your “grain of salt” ..please please please….
Now fly away ….and stalk someone else ..
Be gone!
Just who is the f****** stalker? You have been stalking me for years.

I'm betting your next suspension will be more than just one day.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The observations about our dreadful drafting on this thread are starting to make Richo look ...less bad, shall we agree?

11 (12 edit Coffield) out of 48 on the 2018 playing list are still in the red, white and black.

And only 1 import (Steele) plus half an import (Members, played ?one game? with Sydney)
And 4 have gone on to play a decent amount of games elsewhere, plus now, Long.

What does that tell you?

I don't have a clue.

Do you?

* still Saint

1 Tom Hickey
2 Jake Carlisle
3 Jack Steven
4 *Jade Gresham
5 Shane Savage
6 *Sebastian Ross
7 Luke Dunstan
8 Blake Acres
9 *Jack Steele
10 Nathan Freeman
11 *Hunter Clark
13 Jack Lonie
14 Jarryn Geary
15 *Jack Billings
16 Jack Newnes
17 Dylan Roberton
18 Billy Longer
19 Sam Gilbert
20 David Armitage
21 Ben Long
22 Nathan Brown
23 Hugh Goddard
24 Logan Austin
25 Koby Stevens
26 *Josh Battle
27 Josh Bruce
28 *Tim Membrey
29 *Jimmy Webster
30 Ed Phillips
31 Brandon White
32 Paddy McCartin
33 *Nick Coffield
34 Nathan Wright
35 Jack Sinclair
36 *Daniel McKenzie
37 Bailey Rice
38 Oscar Clavarino
39 r Darragh Joyce
40 b Ray Connellan
41 Darren Minchington
42 r Lewis Pierce
43 r *Rowan Marshall
44 Maverick Weller
45 *Ben Paton
46 Doulton Langlands

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Chicken v egg

Which came first, poor coach or players disclosed abilities.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Was Steele a good recruit?

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Geelong Champs had sons, Saints champs had daughters. See Ablett, Hawkins etc.

Has there been a team that has a worse deal from the gene fairy? Thanks to Nick and others in the future, but you gotta pay now.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black