Running is key

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Running is key

Steele was likely recounting Paddy over his time at the saints - definitely fell off his bike in the second half of the season. The years caught up with him. I agree that Marshall had a lot more impact without Paddy - which is pretty obvious as to why - his load got halved with Paddy on the field - that was the point. Now he'll need to carry us a lot more. I reckon he'll prosper.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I think Marshall is destined to playing the centre bounces and the back half of the ground, stationed across the HB flanks. Id let Battle read the ball and ask Marshall to post up near Battle's man. He'd also be providing a long target from kick outs, with a stoppage set up around him, waiting to feed Sinclair, Hill and NWN and also, Battle can run forward and follow the ball with Hayes constantly presenting and following the ball in the front half.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Everybody will be expecting us to continue to kick out to Geary's dead pocket. I hope it retired with him.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 2:29pm Everybody will be expecting us to continue to kick out to Geary's dead pocket. I hope it retired with him.
Hill couldnt get out of it either.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 2:25pm I think Marshall is destined to playing the centre bounces and the back half of the ground, stationed across the HB flanks. Id let Battle read the ball and ask Marshall to post up near Battle's man. He'd also be providing a long target from kick outs, with a stoppage set up around him, waiting to feed Sinclair, Hill and NWN and also, Battle can run forward and follow the ball with Hayes constantly presenting and following the ball in the front half.
I think you are right regarding Marshall, thats where he has the most influence on games. Battle running off is good we need more rebound from everyone in our defence including Howard, he simply has to become more offensive. Our defensive 6/7 makeup will be interesting as it looks like RTB is going to swap Hill and NWM and use Nasiah's elite kicking and Sinclair's run and carry out of defence. That will mean one or two other lockdown small defenders out of Paton, Coffield, Webster, Clark, Connolly & Stocker (?) are going to be fighting for the other spots.

Its going to be an interesting year as we have a few obvious list weaknesses and lots of players fighting for other positions. Most teams play two ruckman, a genuine ruck and 2nd ruck/tall forward, we wont have that option until Hayes returns. Even then Hayes might be asked to play just full forward. I cant see us playing both Marshall & Campbell and given Heath's lack of endurance I doubt he is ready to playing AFL. If Marshall get injured then I gather Campbell fills in but he is not a like for like replacement. Hopefully another years development and Heath will be ready to take the step, but another 1 or 2 ruckman will be a major list need come MSD or the end of year.

Who plays the key tall forward roles and their success will make or break our season IMO. If we can have Sharman or Hayes (when ready) on another adequately fill in the role until King returns we might win enough games to keep us in contention of finals until King is back and firing. Hayes might be the long term answer but we desperately need another dangerous key tall forward to take the pressure off King and fill the gaps when he is not available. We have Keeler on the list but he is going to need sometime to build his body etc.

Obviously the recruitment of Cordy was to fill the key defender backup role, but there are significant question marks on his application. I was completely amazed we didnt put more importance in filling the key foward hole and go a lot harder at a player like Weideman at trade time? We have Eyre training with us and he comes from the same draft/club as Allison and seems on the same trajectory. So it will be interesting to see if he gets a spot on the list and where they consider his future positional wise.

To me Gallagher has left the list with far too many back flankers/small defenders and two major holes. I understand the club wanted to go back the draft, which was the right call. But they needed to find ways to fill the holes on the list in the interim.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 10:27am
The Fireman wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 9:29am being quick and being quicker longer is the name of the game these days.

the rest will fall into place.

Don't think
DO
is it a track N field club now?

I'd add some footy skills come in handy too.
as I said the rest will follow.

will this be like a Teflon Vortex saga ?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 12 Jan 2023 11:40am
Saintmike65 wrote: Thu 12 Jan 2023 9:21am If you have a great tank and/or quick, there’s a fair chance you’ll be a chance to get a game under the boss.
Running is a massive part of the pre season thus far, with emphasis on endurance and repeat 400 metre runs.
Our game will be based on run and spread, so the endurance beasts such as Wood, Windhager, Hill, Battle, Sharman, Butler etc. will be key.
Players with genuine leg speed will also be pivotal, don’t be surprised if young Peris gets an opportunity at some stage..lightening quick but also holds his own in the distance running, feisty & a brutal tackling machine for his size..Peris is one to watch!
I have a theory that a team in any sport can mirror the attitude and personality of the top line coaches.
Fair to say we were a fairly passive team under Ratts, I’m hoping we show a lot more intensity and fight under the boss.
Peris' best track event was the 400, therefore I'm sure he'd be knocking out some decent repeat 400's.
If it were repeat 200's he'd kill it.

Without going over the top at all....
He's probably 20-25% faster than your average AFL level midfielder.
Legit wheels on this kid. He's not scared of a contest either.
There were a few times last year with Sandringham, at least one of them was televised... where he was running away from a defender, changed gears and just ran away faster. Think of the fastest bloke you have ever seen play. That is his level. Saying that isnt spin. It's real.

Will be interesting to see if he gets games. I think it is on the cards with this coach. Peris is a weapon. If he can prove to have clean disposal they will definitely be looking at ways they can use all that pace to advantage. With the preseason they are having and the focus on fast ball movement, he is almost certain to get a chance.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Saintmike65
Club Player

bigred wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 2:24am
D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 12 Jan 2023 11:40am
Saintmike65 wrote: Thu 12 Jan 2023 9:21am If you have a great tank and/or quick, there’s a fair chance you’ll be a chance to get a game under the boss.
Running is a massive part of the pre season thus far, with emphasis on endurance and repeat 400 metre runs.
Our game will be based on run and spread, so the endurance beasts such as Wood, Windhager, Hill, Battle, Sharman, Butler etc. will be key.
Players with genuine leg speed will also be pivotal, don’t be surprised if young Peris gets an opportunity at some stage..lightening quick but also holds his own in the distance running, feisty & a brutal tackling machine for his size..Peris is one to watch!
I have a theory that a team in any sport can mirror the attitude and personality of the top line coaches.
Fair to say we were a fairly passive team under Ratts, I’m hoping we show a lot more intensity and fight under the boss.
Peris' best track event was the 400, therefore I'm sure he'd be knocking out some decent repeat 400's.
If it were repeat 200's he'd kill it.

Without going over the top at all....
He's probably 20-25% faster than your average AFL level midfielder.
Legit wheels on this kid. He's not scared of a contest either.
There were a few times last year with Sandringham, at least one of them was televised... where he was running away from a defender, changed gears and just ran away faster. Think of the fastest bloke you have ever seen play. That is his level. Saying that isnt spin. It's real.

Will be interesting to see if he gets games. I think it is on the cards with this coach. Peris is a weapon. If he can prove to have clean disposal they will definitely be looking at ways they can use all that pace to advantage. With the preseason they are having and the focus on fast ball movement, he is almost certain to get a chance.
He’s going to get an opportunity, we’re not exactly loaded up with defensive small forwards & that’s how he’s being used @ match sim.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 6:04pm
The Fireman wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 9:29am being quick and being quicker longer is the name of the game these days.

Don't think
DO

You love it.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 17 Jan 2023 12:07pm

Don't think
DO

You love it.
I knew you couldn't help yourself :)

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 17 Jan 2023 4:37pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 17 Jan 2023 12:07pm

Don't think
DO

You love it.
I knew you couldn't help yourself :)
Only because you love it...remember I'm a giver.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 12 Jan 2023 1:44pm
Teflon wrote: Thu 12 Jan 2023 1:12pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 12 Jan 2023 12:04pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 12 Jan 2023 12:00pm In the second half of 2022 Paddy played 5 games

Guess how many of those we won?
how many?
Honestly Vort… do some homework before sprouting nonsense
So you agree with Scollo, we should go better without Paddy?
Paddy was bloody ordinary the 2nd half of the year

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Tue 17 Jan 2023 5:18pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 12 Jan 2023 1:44pm
Teflon wrote: Thu 12 Jan 2023 1:12pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 12 Jan 2023 12:04pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 12 Jan 2023 12:00pm In the second half of 2022 Paddy played 5 games

Guess how many of those we won?
how many?
Honestly Vort… do some homework before sprouting nonsense
So you agree with Scollo, we should go better without Paddy?
Paddy was bloody ordinary the 2nd half of the year
He was...and so were we, when he was at his best we won a lot of games.