Training- Monday February 20

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Training- Monday February 20

happy feet wrote: Tue 21 Feb 2023 7:39pm I think St. Byron is doing a good job at moderating. It’s a thankless task and perhaps we should all reflect upon what we say on this forum.
Couldn't agree more, there are some that need to refrain from attacking a poster just because they don't agree with the POV. Also, once upon a time the rules would get you banned for claiming a poster is a trolling or baiting. If that rule was applied correctly then it would clean up a lot of the issues currently being experienced, meaning if you think a poster is baiting or trolling then report the post and let the moderator adjudicate, BUT leave it up to the moderator. But what we have is posters cleverly engaging in trickery and openly and relentlessly claiming someone is trolling or baiting JUST because they don't agree the POV or because of the posting style/personality...OR because they are playing GAMES. Plenty of examples recently.

If we are fair dinkum, posters would use the FOE facility, alas they don't which is evidence as far as I'm concerned that trickery is what the poster desires.

Food for thought.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 21 Feb 2023 8:31pm If that rule was applied correctly then it would clean up a lot of the issues currently being experienced
If the rules were applied correctly then posters with permanent bans wouldn’t be here at all, cleaning up a lot of issues.

Food for thought.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex,

I’m reluctant to engage in this type of posting but given the direction of this thread and this ongoing theme, I’ll weigh in here on this one occasion.

A couple of years ago, you and a few other forumites had a crack at me for being repetitive in my posting or fixating on a few issues and how it impacted your enjoyment of the forum.

I reflected on the feedback and begrudgingly accepted the point and made changes. Whilst I haven’t stayed entirely away from posting about my frustrations with the small forward fleet or coaching in general, I start less threads on those topics and weigh in only here and there.

Now for the record… we’ve had our discussions here and there but honestly, I actually really like you. You’re funny, sharp and have a really keen eye that is enjoyable regardless of whether one agrees or not.

The thing is however, for a little while now, you appear to have turned your interest primarily towards a narrative of what I think you would frame as either challenging group think or the posting styles/patterns/themes of the posters you’re interacting with.

Whichever way you want to frame it… it’s primary focus is less about St.Kilda or discussing football and more about forumites. And the dominant approach/characteristic/style is one of cheeky provocation with a broader arc to then focu on the dissent rather than the topic.

The most obvious example of this is you’re enduring fixation on Cooper Sharman. No one begrudges you for rating or not rating the player but you wedge your opinion into topic after topic frequently mentioning that he’s so far off the pace and that’s he’s about to be cut… it’s happening in instances where the conversation is not about him at all and you’ve even fabricated the narrative at times to do it. You post a few weeks back that he was the most overhyped player here pre-season 2022 when in actual fact he was close to the least talked about.
You’ve played up this huge narrative of how he needs to dominate training and reserve games to even earn a shot and then followed up with how Allison clearly overtook him on the back of 2 good training sessions pre-injury.

On the one hand, I’d actually be interested to chat to you about it but it seems plainly obvious that even you don’t believe much of what you’re posting so the conversation would be pointless. It’s just a wind up.

And that’s the point… a wind up.

Many forumites here (new, old, no enemies and all) are starting to post in regularity that you’re behaviour at present is seriously impacting their enjoyment of the forum. It’s coming up again and again and again… and by and large your almost always on the centre of this.

There have been a few forumites here over the years that have really enjoyed and embraced the role of provocateur… plugger comes to mind… Ted too. Inevitability it leads the forum to a conflictual place and the situation becomes untenable leading to either reduced activity or removal. I would hate to see either of those things happen.

Currently you’re taking the tact of suggesting people foe you or trying to make this an issue about moderation.

Personally, I implore you to wonder down a different path. Listen to the overwhelming feedback and make a change. It’s certainly going to be a more effective strategy than asking the mountain to come to Mohammed

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Beware, all this food could cause obesity.

Just a thought.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Rubyjo
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Tue 21 Feb 2023 10:00pm Vortex,

I’m reluctant to engage in this type of posting but given the direction of this thread and this ongoing theme, I’ll weigh in here on this one occasion.

A couple of years ago, you and a few other forumites had a crack at me for being repetitive in my posting or fixating on a few issues and how it impacted your enjoyment of the forum.

I reflected on the feedback and begrudgingly accepted the point and made changes. Whilst I haven’t stayed entirely away from posting about my frustrations with the small forward fleet or coaching in general, I start less threads on those topics and weigh in only here and there.

Now for the record… we’ve had our discussions here and there but honestly, I actually really like you. You’re funny, sharp and have a really keen eye that is enjoyable regardless of whether one agrees or not.

The thing is however, for a little while now, you appear to have turned your interest primarily towards a narrative of what I think you would frame as either challenging group think or the posting styles/patterns/themes of the posters you’re interacting with.

Whichever way you want to frame it… it’s primary focus is less about St.Kilda or discussing football and more about forumites. And the dominant approach/characteristic/style is one of cheeky provocation with a broader arc to then focu on the dissent rather than the topic.

The most obvious example of this is you’re enduring fixation on Cooper Sharman. No one begrudges you for rating or not rating the player but you wedge your opinion into topic after topic frequently mentioning that he’s so far off the pace and that’s he’s about to be cut… it’s happening in instances where the conversation is not about him at all and you’ve even fabricated the narrative at times to do it. You post a few weeks back that he was the most overhyped player here pre-season 2022 when in actual fact he was close to the least talked about.
You’ve played up this huge narrative of how he needs to dominate training and reserve games to even earn a shot and then followed up with how Allison clearly overtook him on the back of 2 good training sessions pre-injury.

On the one hand, I’d actually be interested to chat to you about it but it seems plainly obvious that even you don’t believe much of what you’re posting so the conversation would be pointless. It’s just a wind up.

And that’s the point… a wind up.

Many forumites here (new, old, no enemies and all) are starting to post in regularity that you’re behaviour at present is seriously impacting their enjoyment of the forum. It’s coming up again and again and again… and by and large your almost always on the centre of this.

There have been a few forumites here over the years that have really enjoyed and embraced the role of provocateur… plugger comes to mind… Ted too. Inevitability it leads the forum to a conflictual place and the situation becomes untenable leading to either reduced activity or removal. I would hate to see either of those things happen.

Currently you’re taking the tact of suggesting people foe you or trying to make this an issue about moderation.

Personally, I implore you to wonder down a different path. Listen to the overwhelming feedback and make a change. It’s certainly going to be a more effective strategy than asking the mountain to come to Mohammed
Perfectly articulated thank you.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Just another thread on training and footy f***ed by the usual...

Saintmike65
Club Player

I don’t put up training posts for them to go off on this ridiculous tangent.
It’s disappointing for the guys on here that can’t get there & like some updates on what’s going on at training.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 10:19am I don’t put up training posts for them to go off on this ridiculous tangent.
It’s disappointing for the guys on here that can’t get there & like some updates on what’s going on at training.
I for one greatly appreciate your posts on training. Don't be put off by the odd clown, but as you said it is disappointing.

SaintJohno
Club Player

Saintmike65 wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 10:19am I don’t put up training posts for them to go off on this ridiculous tangent.
Thanks from Nthn NSW. They are much appreciated.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Hi Saint Mike, my apologies for my part in any derailing here. I felt that above was worth saying once and I’m done with that now

AuckSaint
Club Player

Saintmike65 - it is appreciated by me and (my assumption) many of us internationally based supporters. Local coverage here in NZ is non existent and this forum (and now places like Saints TV/Unpluggered) are really the only news we get to understand what''s going on over there. I think the vast majority of members of this site are just loyal, (often) frustrated Saints supporters who have been through the (mostly bad) and sometimes good emotions of being a fan. Sometimes we have to filter out some of the chaff to find the wheat!

This season, with all it''s turmoil, new/old blood joining the coaches/brains trust, and the absolute mystery and curiosity (to me anyways) of whom is going to appear on the paddock for round 1, makes this season one of the most interesting in the last 12 years (win or lose). I can't wait for the season to start!

Those like Saintmike and other pre season posters really have added some appreciated background and rational feedback which, for one, I really appreciate. Thanks!

1 of the 10,000 NZ Saints members
Club Player

I really appreciate the posts - I look forward to them very much. Please don't derail any post and help Saint Byron with what is a hard enough task. Cheers.

happy feet
Club Player

Saintmike65 please keep the training reports coming. They are great and give us the best insights possible.

For others, the best way to put out a fire is to starve it of oxygen.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Saints58
Club Player

Thanks saintmike65 for your training post they are very informative and much apricated.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Thanks for the support..I’ll look forward to doing a post summarising the match sim against Melbourne on Friday.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 7:10pm Thanks for the support..I’ll look forward to doing a post summarising the match sim against Melbourne on Friday.
Don't forget to keep a keen eye on our fringe talls in the forward line and their ball retention inside the arc please Mike, that's where it's at for those guys and their chances of being selected for R1.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 8:20pm
Saintmike65 wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 7:10pm Thanks for the support..I’ll look forward to doing a post summarising the match sim against Melbourne on Friday.
Don't forget to keep a keen eye on our fringe talls in the forward line and their ball retention inside the arc please Mike, that's where it's at for those guys and their chances of being selected for R1.
Seriously Vortex is a troll and needs a ban .
You can take the piss over and over and over it's really disturbing on a low level but ruins this whole place . Not sure why but he gets his rocks off wanting to irritate others ..
Didn't want to go down the Dsm 5 path but he may need help . Can some one reach out to him ..

MOD EDIT. Poster banned for 72 hours. Implying someone has a mental health issue in a negative context is really inappropriate, both to the poster referred to and to anyone else who may be suffering with a mental health issue. Post is a clear rule breach severe enough to warrant a 72 hours suspension

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 11:10pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 8:20pm
Seriously Vortex is a troll and needs a ban .
You can take the piss over and over and over it's really disturbing on a low level but ruins this whole place . Not sure why but he gets his rocks off wanting to irritate others ..
Didn't want to go down the Dsm 5 path but he may need help . Can some one reach out to him ..
reported: this is a clear example of a unprovoked attack.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

SaintMike uses one eye focussing on Phillipou, Windhager, and Owens and the other eye looks at the other 45. Biases reporting if I’ve ever seen it 😳😳😳😳

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Do you two know each other?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 8:01am SaintMike uses one eye focussing on Phillipou, Windhager, and Owens and the other eye looks at the other 45. Biases reporting if I’ve ever seen it 😳😳😳😳
Mike's training reports are sensational and really appreciated for the majority of us who cant get along. Tony we also appreciate your little snippets, but you cant do a drive by and not give us some reasoning? Are there other players who are showing more or being used in the positional roles that the above have been described in?

Perhaps you cant provide more because of your position at the club - but all information is like gold to many Saints mad forum fans!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I think tony74 was highlighting that mike is still a fan, and like most fans, mike could be slightly one-eyed when it comes to his favourite players

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Yeah..any report is a good report

Some of us can read between the lines. All good

Killa
Club Player

Quite frankly, a permanent ban on one particular contributor who inundates this site and these threads would be welcome IMO.

Then there are the threats to Report others!!!

Saintmike65
Club Player

We have a group of us, around 12 guys that go to training regularly.
There’s a lot of banter between us, I joke that I’ve got adoption papers in for Windhager and Phillipou, one of the other guys says he’s adopting Owens and we’ll have shared custody of Windhager!!
We do have a lot of fun..if ever you guys have a chance to come to training, you’ll enjoy it.